• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Technically, I don't either. Including me. :'D

ObviousEnragedFlamingo-size_restricted.gif

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is eating two meals at once effectively the same as eating one meal now and another meal later? Which is better for being less hungry?

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Do synthesizers offer anything that computer software can't do?
If they have analog oscillators then they have full-fidelity, infinite-quality output that records beautifully. Moog has some pricey ones that have analog guts but digital quality of life features like saving presets and MIDI interfacing.

That all said, things sound amazing on the digital side of things, and the 4-to-5 figure price tag on said synthesizers is probably not really worth it to you if you're here asking this question. :)

And if they don't have analog oscillators? Hell no. Digital synths are only as good as their soundbanks. Frankly I'd just get the nicest MIDI controller keyboard I could and let my laptop do the sound Genesis.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
My employer is moving us all from getting paid every two weeks, to getting paid weekly. I personally don't care either way, however in the e-mail he states, "I believe this change will be advantageous to everyone. Being paid weekly decreases your payroll taxes, which increases take home pay."

But this doesn't seem right. Wouldn't our payroll taxes just average out to be the same no matter what?

For instance if my payroll taxes over two weeks are $50, with this new system wouldn't my payroll taxes just become $25 per week now? Or do I just not understand whatever the hell he's talking about?

I'll be watching my paycheck closely once this goes into effect. But I want to know ahead of time if I'm about to be screwed over in some way or if this is actually beneficial.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
My employer is moving us all from getting paid every two weeks, to getting paid weekly. I personally don't care either way, however in the e-mail he states, "I believe this change will be advantageous to everyone. Being paid weekly decreases your payroll taxes, which increases take home pay."

But this doesn't seem right. Wouldn't our payroll taxes just average out to be the same no matter what?

For instance if my payroll taxes over two weeks are $50, with this new system wouldn't my payroll taxes just become $25 per week now? Or do I just not understand whatever the hell he's talking about?

I'll be watching my paycheck closely once this goes into effect. But I want to know ahead of time if I'm about to be screwed over in some way or if this is actually beneficial.
Yeah, it won't change your payroll taxes. The calculations are based on number of pay period per year.

And if your boss screw-up and do the calculations wrong and hold less taxes on your paycheck, you better save the difference because the government will ask you for the taxes at the end of the year.

You taxes are calculated on your yearly income so if you pay less along the way, you pay more at the end.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Yeah, it won't change your payroll taxes. The calculations are based on number of pay period per year.

And if your boss screw-up and do the calculations wrong and hold less taxes on your paycheck, you better save the difference because the government will ask you for the taxes at the end of the year.

You taxes are calculated on your yearly income so if you pay less along the way, you pay more at the end.
Thanks! Thought I wasn't going crazy, my boss was just being dumb.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My older brother found a film disc and asked if I had any idea where to get it developed. I haven't had to get film developed in nearly a decade, so I have no idea of any places that still do it, let alone a film disc (I've never used one of these before).

Anyone familiar with any reputable places that still develop these?

DeskFilm-Processing.gif

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
My older brother found a film disc and asked if I had any idea where to get it developed. I haven't had to get film developed in nearly a decade, so I have no idea of any places that still do it, let alone a film disc (I've never used one of these before).

DeskFilm-Processing.gif
It says that it develops with process C41A. Regular color film develops with the C41 process. I wonder if it's the same thing or if it's a completely different process.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is eBay still the "go-to" for selling high priced items online? I have a really old Beatles record player that no one local seems interested in, but I'm sort of terrified of shipping out something like that unless I know it's safe.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is eBay still the "go-to" for selling high priced items online? I have a really old Beatles record player that no one local seems interested in, but I'm sort of terrified of shipping out something like that unless I know it's safe.
If you have never shipped a heavy fragile item, maybe look into consignment to do that work for you? Ebay can be a minefield of false chargebacks if you don't know what you're doing as a seller.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you have never shipped a heavy fragile item, maybe look into consignment to do that work for you? Ebay can be a minefield of false chargebacks if you don't know what you're doing as a seller.

I used to sell all the time on there years ago, but never for items of this price range. I mostly fear the chargebacks, yep.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
It says that it develops with process C41A. Regular color film develops with the C41 process. I wonder if it's the same thing or if it's a completely different process.

Didn't even notice that. I couldn't really find a difference while searching. Perhaps C-41A just references a film disc? A bit more searching came up with a few old websites that I could direct him to for contact info if they're still in business.

One website mentioned the big number on the bottom right as the generation. The pic I posted is the last generation, gen-8, from the mid-90's, whereas the one my brother sent me a picture of appears to be gen-1 from the 80's, and may be less likely to develop with good results. It's probably a lost cause, but suggestions are still welcome!

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Returning from ban and doubling down on dismissive and inflammatory behavior
Fresh out of Reset jail. Did a quick back to back stint in the slammer. But I'm out that bitch. I Got to remember to agree with certain topics or keep my opinion to myself here smh

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa

DeskFilm-Processing.gif
Unless it relatively new, it's likely no longer good. Even if you get it processed likely there won't be anything visible.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm learning guitar but ultimately I wanna make my own music. Should I be learning music theory and ear training now or later when I know what I'm doing playing this thing? Also like where's a good place to learn ear training

Ribbon

Oct 27, 2017
How do recipes that measure in weight rather than U.S. standard measurements such as cups and ounces work?

Let's refer to this portion of a recipe for an example:
  • 225 grams softened butter
  • 225 grams caster sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 225 grams self-raising flour
  • 2 level tsp baking powder
Measure the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder into a large bowl and beat until thoroughly blended.

Is a food scale used? Are the ingredients meant to be weighed separately? Or together, but only if they're meant to be combined in the recipe?

EDIT: question has been answered in detail. Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How do recipes that measure in weight rather than U.S. standard measurements such as cups and ounces work?

• 225 grams caster sugar
  • 4 large eggs
Measure the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder into a large bowl and beat until thoroughly blended.

Is a food scale used? Are the ingredients meant to be weighed separately? Or together, but only if they're meant to be combined in the recipe?
You use a food scale and weigh them separately, yes.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
In the film, Limitless, the character of Eddie Morra takes a pill that makes him smarter. By the end of the movie,
he has achieved a level of intelligence that is essentially superhuman. Additionally, we see that by the end of the film he is running for political office (specifically, senator).
Are we to conclude from this film that the best course of action a
super intelligent person should take is to get into politics? That's my main problem with the film.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In the film, Limitless, the character of Eddie Morra takes a pill that makes him smarter. By the end of the movie,
he has achieved a level of intelligence that is essentially superhuman. Additionally, we see that by the end of the film he is running for political office (specifically, senator).
Are we to conclude from this film that the best course of action a
super intelligent person should take is to get into politics? That's my main problem with the film.
Have you watched Idiocracy?

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa

• 225 grams caster sugar
  • 4 large eggs

Also there are some conversion that approximate weight to volume but the formula is different for each ingredient. I have seen measuring cups with lines for weight for various ingredients.
something like this:
http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtml
But usually best to use a kitchen scale but these are alternative if you don't have one.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Ribbon To follow on from what has already been said, yes weigh them out individually and transfer them, one by one, to a separate bowl for mixing once they are all measured out. With cakes, it is important to get the measurements right or it might not turn out right. With other food e.g. a stew or a casserole, it is really not that important to follow the menu directions to the letter as one is unlikely to ruin it. With a new recipe, I usually follow the instructions more or less to the letter but then tweak it on subsequent occasions to my liking. I might substitute ingredients or even leave them out entirely. I would not do this with a cake recipe though. That is much more like doing a chemistry formula! Oh and you can measure ingredients by adding an ingredient on top of one that has already been measured without transferring that ingredient into another bowl first but I would not recommend it for a new recipe. I would do this if it is a recipe I have done before and am comfortable with but not before then. So, say you measure 4 oz of flour and wish to measure 2 oz of sugar. I might leave the flour in the bowl on the scales and just add sugar until the weight goes up to 6 oz.

Bon appetite!

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, say you measure 4 oz of flour and wish to measure 2 oz of sugar. I might leave the flour in the bowl on the scales and just add sugar until the weight goes up to 6 oz.
Totally fair, unless one has unsteady hands and would accidentally dump in 6 oz of sugar. It might be hard to unmix at that point. XD

woo

Nov 11, 2017
That's true weemadarthur but I probably did that once or twice and it taught me to take more care. In this case, I would make sure the sugar was free flowing and I was holding it with adequate support and that the opening to the sugar bag is unblocked to allow fine control when pouring. This is the sort of thing one picks up along the way from doing though. No recipe is going to tell one that but it is a valid shortcut for someone who has some experience and confidence in cooking :).

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
screenshot2019-05-18aekjz5.png

Is this a new unreleased iPhone in Jack Blacks hand? Seems like there is no shot of this exact scene in the actual video.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All I know about the Adobe suite is that they are having issues with pieces of their software which were provided by a third party, and that the mutual corporate agreement expired, and Adobe is trying to force people into subscription services and doubled their prices for it, and warning that older versions may be an issue due to the loss of the licensing (?) deal.

Doesn't help with the subscription levels though. Could it explain the price variance? Maybe you got hold of an older price point?

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I really don't want to make a thread so I hope posting this here is okay:
If I have to choose between a company that is basically 1.5x my current salary but has overtime work of 60-80 hours a month, is it worth it? I think this has the most growth but I really hate overtime. Commuting wise, it's going to be much more crowded which I hate.

Or do I choose a company which parent company is a company I really loved when I was a kid but the salary is just average? It's a small increase on my current salary and not a huge increase like the one above. I think I just want to work here because it's a company I really admired since I was a kid. Plus when I entered that building, seeing everything I loved in display was like a dream. I think I only want to choose this company because it would be cool/fun to work at. Overtime is really low(0-20 hours a month) and there are more days off than the one above.

Company A is financial. Company B is entertainment.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't want to make a thread so I hope posting this here is okay:
If I have to choose between a company that is basically 1.5x my current salary but has overtime work of 60-80 hours a month, is it worth it? I think this has the most growth but I really hate overtime. Commuting wise, it's going to be much more crowded which I hate.

Or do I choose a company which parent company is a company I really loved when I was a kid but the salary is just average? It's a small increase on my current salary and not a huge increase like the one above. I think I just want to work here because it's a company I really admired since I was a kid. Plus when I entered that building, seeing everything I loved in display was like a dream. I think I only want to choose this company because it would be cool/fun to work at. Overtime is really low(0-20 hours a month) and there are more days off than the one above.

Company A is financial. Company B is entertainment.

Sounds like you'd be happier working at Company B.

But also consider what you might be doing five years from now -- if you expect to be climbing the ladder by switching employers again, Company A would probably provide better leverage for future salary negotiation.