• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like the rest of you I am 100% excited for the next generation. I enjoy talking about the possibilities new tech can bring to this hobby we all love. But I've realized that there is an often acknowledged but undisturbed underbelly that feeds off of our enthusiasm.

Fakers.

If you've stepped into any next generation discussion you've probably seen more than your fair share. Sites with undisclosed sources they can't talk about. Youtubers faking rumours for views, blogs etc All wrapped up in a mass of clickbait. Designed to distort the discussion for whatever it is they make from the attention and views those lies generate.

With the official announcement from Microsoft there is a vast number of these clickbaiters who will still masquerade as authentic. So many have pushed and inserted blatant falsehoods into our discourse for nefarious reasons and I believe it's time we acknowledged them for what they are. Ensuring that they can no longer, easily, distort our genuine discourse for personal gains.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was always under the impression that that was the case. Albeit there has been one or two cases of people asserting that they know things that they obviously don't buy no site is perfect.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Um... If you're making OT like this, could you list these "fake news"? I remember leaks about 12 Tflops and games working on XOX and Series X etc.

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Yes.

The journos over at places like Eurogamer, IGN et al don't say stuff they hear a lot for a reason. Once they're confident enough in the truth of the whole thing, they'll publish a report. Insiders might have pieces of info, but hardly the whole picture. Read good reporting instead of looking into rando tweets.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Not directly related but man I hate this ridiculous insider culture so much

"hey I have secret deets on the PS5, be sure to like and subscribe and don't forget to follow me on Twitter for the next leak!"

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thats why just stick to Windows Central, Tom Warren, Thurrot etc. Who have a close ear to MS things

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
has there really been more than 100 people pretending to be insiders on this very specific subject and if not then what is an 0.9% of a person? missing an arm?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Insider status is weird. Sometimes people DO know things and things change, making them look like fools when the real reveal happens. Other times they know things and nobody believes them. And then a lot of the time people just want attention so they say whatever they want and pray it gets traction.

I remember when I was still writing about games I heard about the PSP Go about six or seven months before it was officially announced, like an exact design and everything for it. Nobody believed it until it was officially announced, and then we all went back to not caring about it like five seconds after that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
We know who the reputable sources are ... so why not just listen to them and tune out the rest of the noise? If you want to consume rumors then be prepared to consume a bunch of bullshit. Once something is confirmed by a reputable source it's no longer a rumor as it becomes fact. You want rumors but you also wants them to be factual - you can't have it both ways.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of bullshit but to be fair, 12TF has been going around for a while now. Some people just chose not to believe it.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Mmh Iwas thinking the opposite, reports seem to be quite acurate to what was said yesterday

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What were those fake leaks proven wrong today with the official Xbox Series X specs/features?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Like the rest of you I am 100% excited for the next generation. I enjoy talking about the possibilities new tech can bring to this hobby we all love. But I've realized that there is an often acknowledged but undisturbed underbelly that feeds off of our enthusiasm.

Fakers.

If you've stepped into any next generation discussion you've probably seen more than your fair share. Sites with undisclosed sources they can't talk about. Youtubers faking rumours for views, blogs etc All wrapped up in a mass of clickbait. Designed to distort the discussion for whatever it is they make from the attention and views those lies generate.

With the official announcement from Microsoft there is a vast number of these clickbaiters who will still masquerade as authentic. So many have pushed and inserted blatant falsehoods into our discourse for nefarious reasons and I believe it's time we acknowledged them for what they are. Ensuring that they can no longer, easily, distort our genuine discourse for personal gains.

you could provide examples, instead of this arbitrary "99.9" percent that you pulled out

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I thought we were past the "Games media is lying to you" bullshit. Although, I guess being in the era of fake news doesn't help

While they have other issues, the Funhaus crew talked about this a few years back. Sometimes plans really do change. Sometimes outlets get leaked intentionally wrong information. And sometimes companies (especially MS) use "leaks" as a way to gauge interest and responses.

At the end of the day, it is no different than game reviews or whatever. Go past the headline. Get to know the outlet. And listen to the ones you trust. Nobody is right 100% of the time but you'll have a much better idea of how confident they are on something and you might even get some interesting analysis of the ramifications

Wait a moment? An uncited hyperbolic statistic? Clearly you too are the fake news and we must cull you. Stop distorting our genuine discourse (ha ha, really?) and putting clickbait in your titles.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a problem endemic to games right now. We're living in a world of fake news and fake hype. It'll adjust once everyone gets sick of it all.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
That's why whenever I see a title/headline with rumor or being presented as insider knowledge I tend to ignore it.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the problem is on you guys believing every 4chan post, every github, every leaked specs from tidux and his friends.

You should blame yourself if you kept believing all the leaks and rumours and they proved to be fake.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Insider knowledge shared on this forum goes through a vetting process, but do remember, things change during development of new hardware and software. Just because the information is different, is no reason to attack members of the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.