• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
They haven't.

They use it, to be sure, but when you see someone give you the OK hand sign... consider why they're doing it. Did you just ask them a question and the person you're asking cannot respond verbally but instead has used a hand signal to express that they agree? NOT A NAZI

It's an intra-group hand signal that is tantamount to a wink to like minded people. No on is saying it's like a Nazi salute, because this is way more devious than such an outward and uncommon gesture. And they have people do free PR and insist it isn't a thing, the "Alt-right" truly understand the current state of the Internet better than so many other groups.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an intra-group hand signal that is tantamount to a wink to like minded people. No on is saying it's like a Nazi salute, because this is way more devious than such an outward and uncommon gesture. And they have people do free PR and insist it isn't a thing, the "Alt-right" truly understand the current state of the Internet better than so many other groups.

How is their using of the ok sign in any way devious? It's tantamount to a virtue signal, everyone knows when a nazi's doing it to be a nazi. It's like instead of whispering "hail hydra" they're yelling it everytime they hug.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's so often seen in that form because these people know they're around people who might possibly clock the intended meaning, so they're trying to be cagey about it

or just low-key hide it in a pic so it's funnier when their in group notices it.

The funny thing about choosing the OK symbol is that, yeah, Americans generally see it as an innocuous thing so co-opting it is good for a troll, but it's also almost never the type of thing you'd randomly throw up in a posed photo. Like, you almost only ever see it when you're eating something and another person asks you if it's good. Mouth full, throw out OK. There simply aren't many good reasons to pose in a photo with nothing to react to with that symbol out.

I think they intuitively get that, if not logically consider it. So they throw it low, to make it more like an easter egg. Because even if this troll attempt wasn't going on, any normal person might ask "why are you throwing up the OK in this picture with nothing going on?"

Basically this. If anything, this is why the attempted trolling failed: it's rarely used in a normal context, let alone held up for a photo, and it's really easy to form a pattern when the only people using it consistently are MAGA shitheads.

So these guys have started throwing it down by their leg and in larger group shots in order to be more subtle, but you can only be so subtle with a hand gesture while keeping it visible (and it has to be visible - the whole point is to dog-whistle, and you can't do that if you can't see it), and it's become another pattern that's become easy to look for.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
*gasp*

Like, I don't know what else to tell you, you were wrong about the definition of co-opt.

You were wrong. I don't know why you've been so hot to make it seem like you weren't.

You're so incredibly petty for trying to spin this, but this is what you often do so I hies it's your shtick.

Let's drop it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
How is their using of the ok sign in any way devious? It's tantamount to a virtue signal, everyone knows when a nazi's doing it to be a nazi. It's like instead of whispering "hail hydra" they're yelling it everytime they hug.

It's devious because they are nazis masquerading as normal people? Have yo uever heard of the concept of a dog whistle?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're so incredibly petty for trying to spin this, but this is what you often do.

Let's drop it.

*okhandemoji.jpg*

It's devious because they are nazis masquerading as normal people? Have yo uever heard of the concept of a dog whistle?

What's the masquerade part though?

Has anyone normal actually thrown up the ok hand sign and anyone been confused?

Like, every time you see it you can correctly categorize it as either "the ok hand sign" or "a nazi using the ok hand sign".

The only time that I've ever even had a question was when that one lady was doing it behind Kavanagh.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
This is pepe all over again. It's only bad if you let them take ownership of it.

Don't. Just keep using it like you normally would.
How are you going to stop them from "taking ownership of it"? By using it randomly and insisting that it's not used in the same way while an organized group of people have in fact co-opted it for a specific use that they continue en-masse to do?

At the very least, people have to acknowledge that a non-insignificant number of people have changed the potential meaning of something and that something can become a symbol and have multiple meanings, one of them being a symbol of hate whether you want to accept it or not.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It's such a weird hand gesture in the first place. Try to think of the last time you saw someone actually use it - you can't. It's for total dorks and MAGA chuds.
I use it daily to communicate to people across my warehouse, I don't understand how you can come up with this conclusion if you're somebody that leaves the house routinely tbh.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Basically this. If anything, this is why the attempted trolling failed: it's rarely used in a normal context, let alone held up for a photo, and it's really easy to form a pattern when the only people using it consistently are MAGA shitheads.

So these guys have started throwing it down by their leg and in larger group shots in order to be more subtle, but you can only be so subtle with a hand gesture while keeping it visible (and it has to be visible - the whole point is to dog-whistle, and you can't do that if you can't see it), and it's become another pattern that's become easy to look for.

Basically this. It largely backfired because they claimed it as a trolling thing but then... they started actually doing it, completely unnaturally, and so despite the fact that they try to claim it means nothing and that people are being ridiculous for saying it means they're white supremacists... well, they're white supremacists who are usually taking photos with other white supremacists.

It doesn't really work as a grounds for confusion unless there are actual false positives.

You can make the ok symbol, just don't bizarrely do it when people are taking photos of you and you won't be questioned. Not being a Nazi or having Nazis in the photo also helps, contextually.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I use it daily to communicate to people across my warehouse, I don't understand how you can come up with this conclusion if you're somebody that leaves the house routinely tbh.

As someone who's worked around loud equipment for a very long time, the ok-hand sign is essential to do my job, and likely is a routine part of any normal person's life.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You know what, hold the fuck up. I looked up the actual dictionary definition of "co-opt" which is:

JqXpx8y.png

As you can see, one of them is "take over" so take your pedantic bullshit and kindly stop assuming that I'm arguing in bad faith.

Also, some small number of people on this board are VERY CLEARLY paranoid.

If I remember correctly, you are the same individual who derailed another thread arguing that Trump's detention centers for kids were not actually concentration camps and that should not be called that.

It is good to see a fervent defense of semantics in ERA.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
What's the masquerade part though?

Has anyone normal actually thrown up the ok hand sign and anyone been confused?

Like, every time you see it you can correctly categorize it as either "the ok hand sign" or "a nazi using the ok hand sign".

The only time that I've ever even had a question was when that one lady was doing it behind Kavanagh.

Slowly but surely, you might some say get it then.

If I remember correctly, you are the same individual who derailed another thread arguing that Trump's detention centers for kids were not actually concentration camps and that should not be called that.

We are tuly fortunate

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the normal version is still okay, it's the upside down version that is bad

Co-opting symbols of peace as symbols of hate is a long-standing tradition of hate groups.

82e17a379930daac1c9705180f8d41e2.jpeg

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since people often ask for an example, here's one.

DryQIDjUcAIS7D-.jpg:large

DryBYWpV4AABmuP.jpg:large

So now this is probably not the case with that kid considering the context of the photo but I remember that being some dumb high-school game (graduated 07). You were suppose to get other people to look down at your waist while making that symbol. Never got the point of it (I was not a popular kid) but it defiantly was not a white power thing. Other adults my age have done the same thing every now and then and are doing it as that same game thing. I never even saw it as and ok symbol just making an o shape.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm doing god's work. Besides, astro started it by bizarrely stating an incorrect definition of co-opt.

Slowly but surely, you might some say get it then.

I don't think one example of an extremely right leaning person maybe possibly doing the ok hand sign but then maybe not shows that people are suddenly going to be confused when you use it to affirm someone and can't vocalize it for whatever reason.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So now this is probably not the case with that kid considering the context of the photo but I remember that being some dumb high-school game (graduated 07). You were suppose to get other people to look down at your waist while making that symbol. Never got the point of it (I was not a popular kid) but it defiantly was not a white power thing. Other adults my age have done the same thing every now and then and are doing it as that same game thing. I never even saw it as and ok symbol just making an o shape.

I believe you, but you honestly look at that picture and think "Maybe it was just a game?"

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly haven't seen anyone do the ok sign in decades. Everyone does thumbs up or just says something like "that's good" or "that's ok".

Honestly go look at yourself in the mirror doing the sign. It looks stupid as fuck .

I mean even look at the Gifs in this thread. They're all from media that is super old.

Last edited:

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017

I like how he calls out pedantic bullshit in a post where he quotes the dictionary.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Yep this is his shtick, he does this all the time.

I think he must be a DJ in real life or something, the crazy spin.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
If I'm not mistaken the 'white power' gesture is the three fingers as the w and the circle and arm as the p, so holding it down like that one dude did was more of the "circle game" than anything.

But also he's around a bunch of dudes throwing the nazi salute so.

As for the OP, I do the OK sign with my fingers closed or give a thumbs up.

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm doing god's work. Besides, astro started it by bizarrely stating an incorrect definition of co-opt.

I.

I hear you, well it's not the first time that god's work is used in order to start bad faith arguments. I'm looking forward more semantics from you in other threads related to Trump, Alt-right , racism or nazis. Will be really illuminating i'm sure.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So today I learned that the 'OK' hand signal has been somehow co-opted and is a troll-y white power symbol. I just taught this symbol to my 5 year old and 7 year old the other day unaware of any alternative meaning. Seemingly it was started as a 'fake' symbol to troll people and has now become a genuine symbol of hate.
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/09/18/ok-sign-white-power-symbol-or-just-right-wing-troll

Should I teach my kids not to make that sign, or are people smart enough to figure out that in the absence of any other indications it just means 'OK'?
Check the context. The OK symbol originated as an alt right code symbol after a Feb 2017 4chan post and then popularised by Trump's mannerisms. It first started as a way to gaslight leftists so people think leftists are crazy with what may seem like a conspiracy theory but then alt right started using it seriously.
ok-hand-4chan-troll-684.jpg

WPHmF9S.gif

You should watch the Contrapoints video on this, btw. Ive timestamped it so the video starts with the relevant segment on symbols.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wierd how it keeps popping up, right?

<
giphy.gif

At least they have people like you to do PR for them

Ya, it's weird that a kid in the middle of a bunch of people doing nazi salutes is doing the ok hand signal and everyone is confused "is the kid a nazi?" they're all asking "or did someone out of frame just ask him something and he's signalling to them the affirmative" it will forever remain a mystery damn those nazis

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I believe you, but you honestly look at that picture and think "Maybe it was just a game?"

First line of my post,

So now this is probably not the case with that kid considering the context of the photo

Only reason I said probably is kid is in the front row and not every kid in the photo is in on it like the one in the back corner.

Also its apparently called the circle game.
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-circle-game

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Ya, it's weird that a kid in the middle of a bunch of people doing nazi salutes is doing the ok hand signal and everyone is confused "is the kid a nazi?" they're all asking "or did someone out of frame just ask him something and he's signalling to them the affirmative" it will forever remain a mystery damn those nazis

You think all those kids are literal nazis, except the kid flashing the "not" white power sign? I am saying that you need to be an idiot to overlook it, especially in this group photo.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You think all those kids are literal nazis, except the kid flashing the "not" white power sign? I am saying that you need to be an idiot to overlook it, especially in this group photo.

I am ALSO saying that. Which is my point. Nobody is confused because it's not some secret symbol, it's a widely publicized meme.

Maybe my grandma (RIP) would overlook it, but anyone who cares about that photo is going to look at that kid and say "oh right he's still a nazi".

I hear you, well it's not the first time that god's work is used in order to start bad faith arguments. I'm looking forward more semantics from you in other threads related to Trump, Alt-right , racism or nazis. Will be really illuminating i'm sure.

You got me, I'm actually secretly an alt-right Trump agent who hid for nearly a decade on the internet arguing for social justice just so I could wait for this moment in time to correct the definition of "co-opt" in a secret attempt to further the agenda of nazi operatives who want to use the "ok" hand sign as a secret way to signal each other.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I bet 75% of the general population who dont bother themselves with internet forums and daily politics dont know that this is a "thing" being co-opted by right wing weirdos.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate? I'm not really sure what this means.

They mean it's got enough common meaning for normies to not see the code, this disguise is why co-opting it works so well. It can be used to signal other nazis in the open while minimizing risk of being uncovered, and they can deny all knowledge if called out.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate? I'm not really sure what this means.

A literal dog whistle is a whistle that makes a sound that is too high pitched for humans to hear, but dogs can hear.

A figurative dog whistle is some kind of symbol that most people will think of as innocuous, but members of a particular group will recognize to meaning of.

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You got me, I'm actually secretly an alt-right Trump agent who hid for nearly a decade on the internet arguing for social justice just so I could wait for this moment in time to correct the definition of "co-opt" in a secret attempt to further the agenda of nazi operatives who want to use the "ok" hand sign as a secret way to signal each other.

I'm doing god's work.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not mistaken the 'white power' gesture is the three fingers as the w and the circle and arm as the p, so holding it down like that one dude did was more of the "circle game" than anything.

The whole "it means white power" thing is a bogus attempt by the mainstream to rationalize what the symbol could mean. The whole point is that the symbol is completely meaningless, an innocuous hand gesture that they could "trick" liberals into freaking out about.

This post explains it a lot better:

Check the context. The OK symbol originated as an alt right code symbol after a Feb 2017 4chan post and then popularised by Trump's mannerisms. It first started as a way to gaslight leftists so people think leftists are crazy with what may seem like a conspiracy theory but then alt right started using it seriously.
ok-hand-4chan-troll-684.jpg

WPHmF9S.gif

You should watch the Contrapoints video on this, btw. Ive timestamped it so the video starts with the relevant segment on symbols.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/co-opt

1.2 Adopt (an idea or policy) for one's own use.
'the green parties have had most of their ideas co-opted by bigger parties'

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/co-opt

a: to take into a group (such as a faction, movement, or culture) : ABSORB, ASSIMILATE

"The students are co-opted by a system they serve even in their struggle against it."— A. C. Danto

b: TAKE OVER, APPROPRIATE

"a style co-opted by advertisers"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "it means white power" thing is a bogus attempt by the mainstream to rationalize what the symbol could mean. The whole point is that the symbol is completely meaningless, an innocuous hand gesture that they could "trick" liberals into freaking out about.

This post explains it a lot better:
Thing is, not every nazi understands this themselves, so many will have adopted it without understanding this and literally do use it as a wp symbol.

And the fact it's being used by them, even to trick normie liberals, makes it a wp symbol by simple association.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/co-opt

a: to take into a group (such as a faction, movement, or culture) : ABSORB, ASSIMILATE

"The students are co-opted by a system they serve even in their struggle against it."— A. C. Danto

b: TAKE OVER, APPROPRIATE

"a style co-opted by advertisers"

LOL.

My god...

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
You know what, hold the fuck up. I looked up the actual dictionary definition of "co-opt" which is:

JqXpx8y.png

As you can see, one of them is "take over" so take your pedantic bullshit and kindly stop assuming that I'm arguing in bad faith.

Also, some small number of people on this board are VERY CLEARLY paranoid.

... okay.

But again: that person thinks Nazis don't use this symbol. You've said yourself that they do. So why are you still debating whether or not astro was correct in telling that person they were mistaken and should google it? I'm not the one being a pedant and I have said nothing about you arguing in bad faith. I'm pointing out that you were arguing with someone who at least partially agrees with you and maybe next time you should look further back in the thread so you two don't have to go down a frankly ridiculous tangent about definitions that serves absolutely no one.