• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I still catch myself doing it to signal a "A-OK" or the number three. It's so shitty something as simple as that can just easily be taken over and given up, a hand gesture older than the alt-right movement itself.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I won't let these fuckers appropriate an innocent and popular gesture.

It's only a white supremacist symbol when used by white supremacist shitheads.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, letting nazis appropriate symbols, images and gestures is absolutely the best solution.

Nah, actually, no. Letting them take it helps make their movement stronger. Fuck that.

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
This entire premise is idiotic. They walk, talk, eat, drink, go to movies etc. You must not let them co opt anything and everything. If anyone is hijacking, it should be the left taking their stuff and making it non-threatening. Get out of the mentality of getting victimized all the time.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
that hand sign means you are ok, its a meme do to the kid "made you look" game and is used by players in the NBA to celebrate hitting 3's.

the hand signs has different meanings depending on the context and I aint gonna let some scumbags just start taking everything fuck that.
140514-silverman-lebron-tease_i8zth2

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, sorry. I'm still drinking milk and I still use 👌
I'm using neither in my twitter bio, tho, and I'm not going to conspiciously sneak it into pictures of me with powerful people, just like I don't whisper hail hydra to them. context is a thing.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, letting nazis appropriate symbols, images and gestures is absolutely the best solution.

Nah, actually, no. Letting them take it helps make their movement stronger. Fuck that.
The biggest nazi symbol of all is a symbol that has been appropriated. Most people in the West don't even see it as anything but a swastika.

This is exactly what fascists do.

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As a person of colour (I really dislike saying this, and have never said this on the internet before), don't let these idiots claim this symbol.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest nazi symbol of all is a symbol that has been appropriated. Most people in the West don't even see it as anything but a swastika.

This is exactly what fascists do.

Yeah, and you don't think that kinda shit gives them more power? Likewise, do you believe buddhists should simply relinquish use of their symbol?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, and you don't think that kinda shit gives them more power? Likewise, do you believe buddhists should simply relinquish use of their symbol?
I imagine most Buddhists don't care. Trying to hang on to symbols against the tide of culture is exceedingly difficult and not really a productive endeavor.

This is not actually a useful fight, and it is also impractical to fight.

Useful fight: Activism for hate speech laws/regulation of social media/internet to curb hate speech

Not so useful: Preserving the sanctity of the "ok" gesture

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
The discussion on this seems to begin and end with pondering why we don't use swastikas anymore. It used to have a different meaning... now it doesn't. Just as language changes so does symbology.

If you want to keep using it, nobody is going to stop you. You may be silently judged or harassed by someone who mistakes your 'ok' for 'white power' and that'll be something you have to deal with as this is co-opted more and more into the alt-right white supremacy movement.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's not about "relinquishing" use, it's about acknowledging that they've given it another meaning that they use. They aren't going to need your permission to use something as a symbol, not when they are already using "ok" that way anyways. They like that it has another meaning because they could throw it up in a public setting and have people ignore it, have people insist that it only has other benign meanings, or if they get called out on it, they just could play dumb.

It's probably not useful to try to decipher the intention behind every single person ever using the sign, but it's way less helpful, maybe even harmful, to try to act like it doesn't already have another meaning for these people, that it can only mean benign things, and to do exactly what they hope most people do by ignoring it or treating it like a joke/meme and nothing more.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine most Buddhists don't care. Trying to hang on to symbols against the tide of culture is exceedingly difficult and not really a productive endeavor.

This isn't necessarily about buddhists caring or not, the point is that it was taken from them and assigned new meaning. The problem I have with this is that an outside force tarnishes a culture and Just letting them do that without a fight is a victory in their book.

This is not actually a useful fight, and it is also impractical to fight.

Useful fight: Activism for hate speech laws/regulation of social media/internet to curb hate speech

Not so useful: Preserving the sanctity of the "ok" gesture

First of all, these are not mutually exclusive.

Second, it's not simply about preserving the sanctity or whatever. It's the fact that letting them take symbols and images gives them power. Symbols can create a feeling of unity, give them a feeling of place and safety, and that's the last thing these shitheads deserve. I'm not saying we should pick one fight. Ideally, we should fight them on all fronts.

It's probably not useful to try to decipher the intention behind every single person ever using the sign, but it's way less helpful, maybe even harmful, to try to act like it doesn't already have another meaning for these people, that it can only mean benign things, and to do exactly what they hope most people do by ignoring it or treating it like a joke/meme and nothing more.

I'm not saying we should ignore it. I'm saying I'm not comfortable with the idea of letting them take this for reasons I've described above.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
regular ok....hm..ok.

upside down ok and you're in a maga hat or you're a cop and you look suspect, or you know etc etc, just think about it.'

trying to make it a culture war for the 'battle' over "ok"......hmmmm...ok
(not ok)

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
While I agree that context is everything, I've stopped using that sign and the emoji. Doesn't feel good anymore. Makes me think of depressing shit...

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
There's a british punk band Idles who want to get the ok symbol to be positive again. They released o really goid album last year "joy as an act of resistance" in Which they want to spread positivity among people.
Good band with positive and critical views

Here's the video clip with the ok-symbol

https://youtu.be/QkF_G-RF66M

Sorry, for some reason can't embed video

Oct 25, 2017
As a white guy, I'm not using it until this shit passes. I don't want anyone even having to guess what my intentions are.

Fucking white supremacist assholes.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Telling people to stop using such a ubiquitous symbol cause white supremacists use it is just ridiculous. You are actively giving them power, saying anything they start doing now belongs to them in all cases. If you seriously think the average person should stop using it and assume any instance you see must be from a white supremacist, they would just switch to some other common symbol like a thumbs up or peace sign (which funny enough also changes meaning dramatically depending where you are yet people don't insist it stop being used). The whole point is to overtake common symbols.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're using an inverted OK symbol, below the waist, in every instance I've seen. So long as you're not doing that and instead doing it like Eddie Murphy, I think you're good. Just don't invert it and do it below the waist.

crowphoenix

Oct 27, 2017
If nazis can appropriate a sign, why couldn't good people appropriate it back?
Because Nazi's use it to obfuscate their intentions. A normal person using it just makes it more easy for them to hide in plan sight. It becomes one of many symbols that allow them to connect without being obvious to another person.

Meanwhile, when a normal person uses it, others have to decipher if that person means ok or if it is a signal of bad intent.

As the clarity of the symbol becomes harder to decern, normal people will use it less and less because they don't want to be bothered with dealing with that kind of ambiguity.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Because Nazi's use it to obfuscate their intentions. A normal person using it just makes it more easy for them to hide in plan sight. It becomes one of many symbols that allow them to connect without being obvious to another person.

Meanwhile, when a normal person uses it, others have to decipher if that person means ok or if it is a signal of bad intent.

As the clarity of the symbol becomes harder to decern, normal people will use it less and less because they don't want to be bothered with dealing with that kind of ambiguity.
Yep. They picked something like this to blend in, not to take it away from people that aren't racist.