• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
eddie-murphy-in-beverly-hills-cop.jpg

Mm nope, they can't have it

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's fine. If somebody tries to impugn your integrity because of this, they are an asshole and either you can politely try to have a discussion about why it's ridiculous to think the gesture is racist, or ignore them completely.

This absurdity needs to stop.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It's more just when it's upside down at the waist right? At least that's how I've seen it show up in a negative way.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the OK hand sign being thrown when I was growing up in Costa Rica, which was about a decade ago. Meaning is hard to translate but its an insult.
that's not what this threads about at all. that's some regional thing.

OPs about neo Nazis re-appropriating previously benign gesture.

have your context right before calling people ignorant

It's more just when it's upside down at the waist right? At least that's how I've seen it show up in a negative way.

that was some game people play where you get people to look at it, then you hit them in the shoulder. I don't know if that's the same thing as what the OPs about.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Do racist do it holding out in front like a-ok facing you ? It seems more that they co opted the " look at the hole now I get to punch you " game from 20 years ago

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The alt-right shenanigans with it isn't even really the OK gesture so much as the circle game version. That's the one you probably want to avoid, if you feel avoiding a hand gesture is prudent.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the OK hand sign being thrown when I was growing up in Costa Rica, which was about a decade ago. Meaning is hard to translate but its an insult.

outside the US it commonly means "asshole" or some variation on that, it wasn't a white power thing until online reactionaries decided to try to make it a troll move relatively recently.

Well that's a local meaning then. Internationally that symbol has only meant "ok" for decades, and any connotations to white power are absolutely a recent alt-right troll development.

Also, you might want to be a little more shy to use the word "ignorant" in the future. You didn't exactly have the stunning fact that would back that word up.

I know for a fact Italians, for example, also use it to mean something more like "asshole" so no, it isn't really just a blanket international thing lol

it reads like flipping someone off in huge swaths of the world

So already, long before this troll, you needed to recognize context to use it. This stuff isn't hard.

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say that Nazis did a damn fine job of taking over the swastika.
I was in Asia recently and thinking about how they didn't get the memo that they were supposed to stop using it. Swastikas everywhere (meaning Buddhist temple). I can't help but think they got it right not letting the Nazis ruin their thing.

(But I can see why it was banned in Germany, etc).

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
fuck you imma keep doin it anyway
I was in Asia recently and thinking about how they didn't get the memo that they were supposed to stop using it. Swastikas everywhere (meaning Buddhist temple). I can't help but think they got it right not letting the Nazis ruin their thing.

it's not actually a swastika i think, they're drawn a bit differently

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The term and symbol for 'OK' is one of the most globally know phrases/signs.

It's fine to use it and they ain't taking it.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
As stated, it's all a matter of context. On its own, the sign is fine, but when you see Milo and Cernovich and alt-righters and gun nuts and Trump admin members all flashing it one can't help but be concerned.

I don't think you necessarily need to teach your kids it's bad. But if one of your kids starts flashing it in every pic all of sudden, I'd maybe try to figure out where said kid is getting it from.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

I'm aware its still used there but you always see Westerners freak out over it not understanding. That's what I was trying to get at it with it.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
fuck you imma keep doin it anyway

it's not actually a swastika i think, they're drawn a bit differently
It's the original swastika of course... the Nazis version should be the one that "isn't a swastika" imo ;) and yeah the difference is that traditionally, it's never on an angle like the Nazi version.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I didn't know what that hand gesture meant, I've never used it in my entire life and I've been informed today it's used by white power people. What if your kids start doing that white power gesture while in a restaurant with you or somewhere like that, how's that going to look for you? If you want to teach your kids a gesture, just do the thumbs up. It's simple, and everyone knows it.
Are you being real right now? lol

The OK symbol means "OK" 99.99999% of the time...

OP
OP
PoppaBK

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Check the link I posted. It is just the regular OK hand gesture. I guess what made me concerned is that I had no idea until today of the other meaning, but it seems like most other people do. I was worried that I was so out of touch that it had become completely co-opted without me noticing.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the recent thing is people holding the symbol at length and posing with it in photos looking like dorks.

When people use it to say A-OK, they just flash it, as always.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's such a weird hand gesture in the first place. Try to think of the last time you saw someone actually use it - you can't. It's for total dorks and MAGA chuds.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure it's so often seen in that form because these people know they're around people who might possibly clock the intended meaning, so they're trying to be cagey about it

or just low-key hide it in a pic so it's funnier when their in group notices it.

The funny thing about choosing the OK symbol is that, yeah, Americans generally see it as an innocuous thing so co-opting it is good for a troll, but it's also almost never the type of thing you'd randomly throw up in a posed photo. Like, you almost only ever see it when you're eating something and another person asks you if it's good. Mouth full, throw out OK. There simply aren't many good reasons to pose in a photo with nothing to react to with that symbol out.

I think they intuitively get that, if not logically consider it. So they throw it low, to make it more like an easter egg. Because even if this troll attempt wasn't going on, any normal person might ask "why are you throwing up the OK in this picture with nothing going on?"

Check the link I posted. It is just the regular OK hand gesture. I guess what made me concerned is that I had no idea until today of the other meaning, but it seems like most other people do. I was worried that I was so out of touch that it had become completely co-opted without me noticing.

Nah. It's just yet another low-tier troll for terminally online right wingers. Worth noting, nothing more.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's funny because me and my buddies play the circle game all the time where you get punched if you look at it.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know what that hand gesture meant, I've never used it in my entire life and I've been informed today it's used by white power people. What if your kids start doing that white power gesture while in a restaurant with you or somewhere like that, how's that going to look for you? If you want to teach your kids a gesture, just do the thumbs up. It's simple, and everyone knows it.
The thumbs up now means you support Nazis because I said so. Sorry, you can't use that anymore.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Honestly before the whole alt-right adoption I had no idea people still actually used the 'ok' sign. Pretty much any situation it would normally be used, a simple thumbs up has always handled the exact same function for me without looking weird.

That being said -- it's pretty simple to parse context. Just don't pose in photos with it.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Why don't you draw the old map symbol for a Buddhist temple on your forehead and see how that goes.

Actually I'd say that context can important for a while but eventually meaning do change in a widespread and permanent way. The ok sing is fine for now but check back in 20 years

Buddhism isn't really a thing in English-speaking countries like it is in Asia so absent any context, here a swastika is going to default to Nazism.

But if you're in a Buddhist country and you see a swastika on a Buddhist temple, you aren't in any position to ask them to remove it.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind, they picked that as a symbol for a reason - for this specific conversation to happen. They can blow it off and say "it's just an OK sign, we can't use that anymore?"

Context is key.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's not a context you would use an ok sign where someone would confuse it for you throwing a white supremecist signal, don't worry about it.

That way of orienting your hand is also used in the 305 hand sign which I throw a lot like an idiot.