• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Nazis hasn't coopted the ok sign at all. Only place I've even heard people saying this stupid shit is on here. If I tried to tell someone irl that they couldn't use the ok sign I'd be laughed out of the house.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that. Don't let the actions of the few dictate the actions of many. Like others have said, context is key.

eddie-murphy-in-beverly-hills-cop.jpg

Mm nope, they can't have it

Beat me to it.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's been used "ironically" by the proud boys and the like enough times that it pretty much has become a white power symbol, even if it started out as a joke or a "lol liberals" thing.

They will continue to insist that it's the "OK" symbol and anyone that thinks otherwise is a snowflake or whatever.

If you use it as a gesture in the same context you'd give a thumbs up, high five, or brofist, or whatever, no one should accost you for it. If it's a group photo, maybe think it over.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Have context, I guess. I didn't know anything about it until I came across that school picture thread (posted here already). Language and symbolism constantly change, and can be adopted for good or evil intentions.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Kids using it this way is fine, no need to read them not to imo.

As an adult who is aware of its meaning relaring to white supremacy, I will personally avoid using it. Even if there's a tiny chance of it being perceived as a dog whistle by other supremacists looking for solidarity, I want to avoid that.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Person uses it in a discussion around race, Trump, minorities, etc. Especially on sites like Braitbart , Stormfront, NeoGAF, Etc. - NOT OK

Imbecile fuck uses it in a class photo in which everyone is doing the Nazi salute encouraged by the photographer - NOT OK.

In order to classify your salad - OK

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna assume you're a white supremacist if you use it because the sun hit that ridge just right.

I will if you do it hanging out with a bunch of nazis or in a context where that's the only reason it could be

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Nazis hasn't coopted the ok sign at all. Only place I've even heard people saying this stupid shit is on here. If I tried to tell someone irl that they couldn't use the ok sign I'd be laughed out of the house.

I mean what contexts are you imagining seeing it in that would confirm it for you? All those Nazi meet ups you go to? If you're not hanging around with Nazis, then it probably tracks that you wouldn't necessarily know what symbolism and coded language they use together, but that doesn't make it something they're not doing. Not everybody has heard about the 14 words or 88, but they're Nazi symbols even if most people in the mainstream don't know that.

The OK sign obviously isn't exclusively used in that context, but it's definitely something Nazis are using to give each other a sly little wink in public now that some of their other coded shit is better known.

I'm not sure whether to feel amused or sad that their troll is working.

If you and your Nazi friends all get together and do a thing while being Nazis together, at what point is it no longer trolling to own the libs and is actually just a thing that Nazis tend to do in large groups?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that if you stick your finger in the hole (without looking at it) than you get to hit your opponent twice. That is how we played it, at least.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't be a Nazi and you can use the OK hand signal without being accused of being a Nazi.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucked up that Hitler pretty much made a moustache style impossible to ever have for an eternity. Even though it's an ugly style anyway

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should google it then, if you refuse to believe it...

They haven't.

They use it, to be sure, but when you see someone give you the OK hand sign... consider why they're doing it. Did you just ask them a question and the person you're asking cannot respond verbally but instead has used a hand signal to express that they agree? NOT A NAZI

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think they can only really coopt things that are fairly exclusive to begin with. The Nazis could coopt the swastika in Europe and America because they weren't mainstream there, so it was the territory of people with interest in foreign religions and the occult and such. They couldn't coopt it in the east because it was too widespread.

Similarly, Neo-Nazis can coopt 4chan memes because that's already a subculture they're a part of they just drag it out of the Internet, and especially ones that most of 4chan has started getting bored of and so have gotten a bit moldy, but they can't coopt something like the okay symbol which is far too ubiquitous and was never associated with any particular subculture.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
When I saw that kid in the Nazi picture doing it yesterday I assumed he was just doing the "stare at the circle and get punched" game that was popular 15 years ago :x

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Yes they have. You'd have to be wilfully ignoring all the evidence at this point to suggest otherwise.

This doesn't mean you can't use it.

They haven't.

They use it, to be sure, but when you see someone give you the OK hand sign... consider why they're doing it. Did you just ask them a question and the person you're asking cannot respond verbally but instead has used a hand signal to express that they agree? NOT A NAZI

They obviously have. You're arguing for the sake of it.

Co-opt means "adopt for own purpose" in this context, btw.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They obviously have. You're arguing for the sake of it.

What? I just showed that in any normal context if someone gives you the OK hand signal... (us calling it the "OK hand signal" is another indication) you wouldn't assume they're a nazi.

How is that "co-opting" anything?

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
It doesn't make any sense for me to stop doing something I've been doing my whole life because some assholes have started doing it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What? I just showed that in any normal context if someone gives you the OK hand signal... (us calling it the "OK hand signal" is another indication) you wouldn't assume they're a nazi.

How is that "co-opting" anything?

As above. Co-opt means "adopt for own purpose", maybe you were confused on its meaning?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As above. Co-opt means "adopt for own purpose", maybe you were confused on its meaning?

I assumed that they meant "supplanted" rather than the dictionary definition of "co-opted" given the question of the OP.

Nazi's use the OK hand signal, but nobody is confused when they see the OK hand signal.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed that they meant "supplanted" rather than the dictionary definition of "co-opted".

Nazi's use the OK hand signal, but nobody is confused when they see the OK hand signal.

No, they meant co-opted... or they would have said supplanted... not sure why you assumed that.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I think the term "co-opt" is creating confusion.

In this context it simply means they've adopted the signal into their community.

It doesnt suggest that it's now its primary usage or that anyone who uses it is suspect. That's where the OP has it wrong imo.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Given the context of the thread, I assumed.

Sorry to disappoint?

Well the person they were responding to when you corrected seems to think that Nazis aren't actually using the symbol and people on this board are just paranoid so the correct definition of co-opt really applies here.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well the person they were responding to when you corrected seems to think that Nazis aren't actually using the symbol and people on this board are just paranoid so the correct definition of co-opt really applies here.

There's no other meaning for the term co-opt though, so no asuption would lead you to say "they didn't co-opt" unless you misunderstood it.

You know what, hold the fuck up. I looked up the actual dictionary definition of "co-opt" which is:

JqXpx8y.png

As you can see, one of them is "take over" so take your pedantic bullshit and kindly stop assuming that I'm arguing in bad faith.

Also, some small number of people on this board are VERY CLEARLY paranoid.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Given the context of the thread, I assumed.

Sorry to disappoint?

There's no other meaning for the term co-opt though, so no asuption would lead you to say "they didn't co-opt" unless you misunderstood it.

And no to the above, co-opt in this context means adopt for own use.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It should be obvious in most contexts whether you're using it in the typical "ok" gesture, in a blatantly racist one, or the bullshit "I'm obviously signalling but I'm going to act like I have no idea why you would think that of me" way.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Don't let racist assholes steal shit and change it's meaning. Use it like you always have. If a synagogue in New York didn't remove the swastikas all over their stained glass, you can keep doing the OK symbol.....actually they might've since removed it, not sure. But it was there for 80+ years.