• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't really understand what you're trying to say here. Could you elaborate?

Here's the thing; you add that your experience is overwhelmingly "flawless" in response to someone else in a far away country also adding that their experience is "flawless."

I have no idea why you're adding "well I was only talking about matches being a slide show!" only now despite how neither the OP nor the person you were actually replying to brought that up as their problems (in fact, the OP seemed to talk more about delay based input lag on top of Smash Ultimate's already high innate input delay).

If your proposition is that "my experience is 99% flawless, but that 1% outlier means that Smash online isn't flawless" that's... something. Might as well just say "i personally haven't issues a vast majority of the time, but I probably just got lucky." That can at least add something to the conversation. Although, if you're going to throw out the word flawless, it better actually mean "flawless" in this conversation, with minimum frame delay or anything.

But if you meant "well, I just meant no slide shows" you're flawless statement doesn't actually mean anything; you're either not noticing or just don't care that fighting games can always come down to frames at higher levels of play. in other words, either flawless doesn't mean what you think it means, or you are being a little disingenuous by posting an example of your personal experience where it doesn't really pertain to the exact discussion at hand, or will just be used as a direct example for people to say "see, this is why developers stick with shit netcode because someone out there will just say it's good enough for them, or flawless for them."

Last edited:

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your fault for expecting a japanese fighting game to have good online, even more so for expecting a Nintendo game to do it.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so jealous at people who can play quickplay with minimal input lag, I'd play all day. Instead I just get pissed off every time I try it. At least I have friends to play offline with...

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Im from ecuador too (guayaquil) and i would REALLY want to know what you did to get "Most of my online matches are flawless", im on fiber (Netlife), most games i get around 80-110ms internationally, have an ethernet adapter, and i just cant get any decent match on smash, 1 on 10 maybe and with lag spikes, unless you only are playing with other ecuadorians exclusively i just cant believe that.

BTW when i played mk11, with friends is flawless, and randoms was mostly decent (thank you rollback).

Haha it's great to find someone from Ecuador here. I live in Quito and have Netlife too. I use Ethernet and I'm not sure if this helps but I made sure I got NAT A on the connection test.

DE5-C1-C2-A-337-B-4-B1-A-B605-F17-FD1192-FF8.jpg

Banjo rules.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Haha it's great to find someone from Ecuador here. I live in Quito and have Netlife too. I use Ethernet and I'm not sure if this helps but I made sure I got NAT A on the connection test.

DE5-C1-C2-A-337-B-4-B1-A-B605-F17-FD1192-FF8.jpg

Banjo rules.

I could be wrong but that even looks like a laggy screen? I use a gaming monitor and it still feels like mud online even on what would be sub 10ms

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I could be wrong but that even looks like a laggy screen? I use a gaming monitor and it still feels like mud online even on what would be sub 10ms

this is a Samsung QLED ... in game mode it's supposed to be one of the best Tvs regarding input lag. It's around 23ms if I remember correctly. Works extremely well for me ... especially considering that I forced myself to play in game mode since a year ago. I didn't even understand what that means ... I have played since I was a kid with the soap opera effect, which I used to love lol.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The online literally killed all my interest in this game. All ive wanted since melee was a chance to play and compete online. Over ten years later im still waiting. Fucking inexcusable.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
20% of my games having issues would be 100% unacceptable to me. This isn't 2004.

Sheesh, I've heard of glass half empty people but that's ridiculous.

I mean this whole thread is just

"SMASH ONLINE NOT PREFECT!"

357.gif

It's these kinds of posts that makes it harder to convince Nintendo/Namco or otherwise that rollback netcode is a great investment.

Your online battles are not flawless when your buttons have any sort of input delay. It's always there, to varying degrees, but it's there. AND IT SUCKS. Don't settle.

I'll admit I was using "flawless" as more figurative hyperbole. OFC it's not flawless. You going "ACKSHULLY the online works by delaying your input so it's factually impossible!" Doesn't mean a thing.

When I mean flawless I mean having the same experience online as offline. I'll go from classic mode to online and not notice a difference. Call me insensitive or whatever, it just feels the same to me.

You might think I'm trolling saying this but this was actually a huge revelation after playing Brawl and 4. I was hugely let down by the online in those games. I was about to shelve Ultimate from doing everything else without touching online between my past experiences and from people like you saying Smash online was still unbearably terrible. But they had the whole Smash 64 tourney thing and thought, "Well maybe I'll give it a try. Maybe I can get some of those Online achievements while I'm at it."

And wouldn't you know? It actually worked for me. I was floored. I guess I would liken it to trying Beyond Meat. Yeah, it's factually NOT beef but boy it sure tastes like the real deal to me.

I'm not settling, though I do have better patience for when the online does crap out on me. I'm immensely satisfied. Deal with it.

"iT wOrKs fOr mE jUsT FiNe"

cool, thanks for letting us know how self-absorbed you are

You know YOU'RE the one who looks worse here, right?

Same, that's not to say I'm making light of other peoples problems or anything, just that it is baffling to me.

Oh absolutely same here. Although it's a little tiring how loud the complaints are that make it sound enjoying Smash online is impossible. As said above I almost missed my chance to have fun because I let the complaints dictate what the experience should be.

It's not like I'm against people wanting rollback or anything. And yeah, the actual OPTIONS online can be improved.

What even is this?
Can we stop with this bullshit?
From the looks of this thread, there's obviously a problem that many people are experiencing. By all means, complain about it so Nintendo does better next time, or better yet, fixes the current game.

But to deny that some aren't experiencing the issue or else must have "no idea" how it's supposed to feel is a really shitty look.

Of course I know what lag feels like. I've been playing online games since the 90's.

Agreed thank you. It feels like there's this real elitism going on. "The only REAL way to play Smash is competitively. The game doesn't cater to my strict input delay demands!" It's obnoxious.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Sheesh, I've heard of glass half empty people but that's ridiculous.

I mean this whole thread is just

"SMASH ONLINE NOT PREFECT!"

357.gif

I'll admit I was using "flawless" as more figurative hyperbole. OFC it's not flawless. You going "ACKSHULLY the online works by delaying your input so it's factually impossible!" Doesn't mean a thing.

When I mean flawless I mean having the same experience online as offline. I'll go from classic mode to online and not notice a difference. Call me insensitive or whatever, it just feels the same to me.

You might think I'm trolling saying this but this was actually a huge revelation after playing Brawl and 4. I was hugely let down by the online in those games. I was about to shelve Ultimate from doing everything else without touching online between my past experiences and from people like you saying Smash online was still unbearably terrible. But they had the whole Smash 64 tourney thing and thought, "Well maybe I'll give it a try. Maybe I can get some of those Online achievements while I'm at it."

And wouldn't you know? It actually worked for me. I was floored. I guess I would liken it to trying Beyond Meat. Yeah, it's factually NOT beef but boy it sure tastes like the real deal to me.

I'm not settling, though I do have better patience for when the online does crap out on me. I'm immensely satisfied. Deal with it.

You know YOU'RE the one who looks worse here, right?

Oh absolutely same here. Although it's a little tiring how loud the complaints are that make it sound enjoying Smash online is impossible. As said above I almost missed my chance to have fun because I let the complaints dictate what the experience should be.

It's not like I'm against people wanting rollback or anything. And yeah, the actual OPTIONS online can be improved.

Agreed thank you. It feels like there's this real elitism going on. "The only REAL way to play Smash is competitively. The game doesn't cater to my strict input delay demands!" It's obnoxious.
Agreed 100%.
You might even say this post is...flawless.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Smash Ultimate is a good game in spite of the many baffling decisions that were made and continue to be made. It would be unacceptable for any other property.
My main problem is still the complete lack of a proper tutorial that teaches me how to play and get better.

I'm not taking about "Press A to Attack!" text boxes, but interactive training sessions that teach me advanced strategies, what to do or what not to do when the opponent does this or that.

For this stuff you always have to refer to YouTube, while it could be integrated into the game itself via interactive tutorials.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The lack of stage morph, squad strike and other features does suck but the input lag is pretty minimal for my friends and I

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
The online is weird, some days I get no lag the game plays fine besides the input delays.

Then other days the game becomes a slide show.

But lately it's been lag-free which I'm enjoying a lot better.