crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this article in my newsfeed and thought it was an interesting subject. Had no idea the home market for suppressors was even a thing.

Full article available on The Verge

SD Tactical Arms calls them barrel shrouds. Hawk Innovative Tech says they're solvent filters. Prepper's Discount sells flashlight tubes. But with a few hours and a little elbow grease, all of these products become the same thing: gun silencers.

Americans eager to skip the wait, though, have a shortcut: tap one of the dozens of online retailers selling de facto suppressor parts and build their own.

Even a search for "solvent traps" on Amazon returns a page of unrelated items useful in silencer construction, such as automobile fuel filters. A spokesperson from Amazon refused to comment for this story, but emphasized that all the products sold on the site were legal.

Some former agents speculate that the unwillingness to pursue these cases is partly rooted in the agency's inconsistency in defining what constitutes a silencer. A series of technical determinations issued by the ATF's Firearms Technical Division since 2011 have made it legal for companies to design and sell items nearly identical to silencers without regulation, so long as they have a plausible alternative use. The technical rulings do not take into account how effectively the items suppress sound.

The third, SD Tactical Arms, simply shut down its line of solvent traps and began selling barrel shrouds, whose measurements and hardware closely match those of the old solvent traps.

SD Tactical did not reply to multiple requests for comment. An ATF spokesperson confirmed that the barrel shrouds were legal under the Gun Control Act's intent standard.

Feb 18, 2018
This, coupled with death threats against progressive congresswomen lately, has me a bit worried about the future of things.

We already have mass shootings every couple of days in this country, I don't think it's ridiculous to think the same sentiments driving that behavior won't eventually be put toward elected officials. I hope I'm wrong though.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This, coupled with death threats against progressive congresswomen lately, has me a bit worried about the future of things.

We already have mass shootings every couple of days in this country, I don't think it's ridiculous to think the same sentiments driving that behavior won't eventually be put toward elected officials. I hope I'm wrong though.

None of the dumbasses doing this shit are going to fucking Agent 47 a congresswoman, c'mon.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard silencers are often used for emptying rounds downrange for long periods of time without ear damage, but still.

None of the dumbasses doing this shit are going to fucking Agent 47 a congresswoman, c'mon.
I don't really want to test that in today's climate.

Also wasn't a congresswoman shot before?

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I've heard silencers are often used for emptying rounds downrange for long periods of time without ear damage, but still.

I don't really want to test that in today's climate.

Also wasn't a congresswoman shot before?

There is a difference between an idiot with a gun spraying at a congressperson in public and orchestrating some Hitman shit that would require a silencer.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only one reason to have one of those, obviously.
There is actually no reason to own one of those. Those things are pointless and it's pretty much scamming the tacticool crowd.
You can look at it as a symptom of how broken the gun laws are in the US, and there is truth to that no doubt, but at the same time those things don't make guns more dangerous, they make them slightly worse.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Silencers don't work like in movies or games. They are still very loud gunshots but not loud enough to cause hearing damage.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Just makes it a bit harder for stuff like shot spotter to detect and for people in a busy City to hear. So it basically makes it easier to shoot and run away with less chance of getting immediately caught.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Suppressors mostly suck, to be honest. They don't sound or work anything like they do in the movies and make the weapon worse in a few significant ways. There's really nothing that will let a person fire a gun near people and go unnoticed.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This is slightly off topic, but hearing damage starts at waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay lower levels than any of those things.
Like, we're talking hair dryer levels.
Hearing damage is about sustained volume levels hearing a hairdryer momentarily is not damaging your hearing in any appreciable way.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Suppressors mostly suck, to be honest. They don't sound or work anything like they do in the movies and make the weapon worse in a few significant ways. There's really nothing that will let a person fire a gun near people and go unnoticed.
I was under the impression that although it's a loud noise, it can make people not realize "oh thats a gunshot" for a few more moments so to effect a getaway.

How do they make them worse, does it reduce velocity or accuracy?

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

If they're going after a congresswoman they're not going to bother with a silencer.

rsfour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta protect your hearing and of those you're shooting at.

Be a considerate shooter, use a suppressor.

This message has been brought to you by the president of the United States, the NRA, and all the gun owners of this beautiful, freedom loving country.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Suppressors with subsonic ammo are quiet enough when shot outdoors to not require hearing protection. This is fun/nice and all, but as others have said everything else is made worse, and it's hard to imagine a real justification for them. But that's basically why people apply for them, as far as I know. Well, that and because some people just think they look cool.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that although it's a loud noise, it can make people not realize "oh thats a gunshot" for a few more moments so to effect a getaway.

How do they make them worse, does it reduce velocity or accuracy?

Both. And it causes gases to feed back inside the gun and gets everything filthy. Without using a specialized gun and/or low velocity subsonic ammo (which is worse in every way at doing the things bullets are supposed to do) it really just sounds like a slightly different gunshot.

Oct 29, 2017

It literally only reduces a gunshot by like 30dbs in most cases. People confuse fireworks for gunshots and vice versa all the time. Most people just dont know what gunshots actually sound like.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hearing damage is about sustained volume levels hearing a hairdryer momentarily is not damaging your hearing in any appreciable way.
Hearing damage accumulates over time, so yeah, a short period of noise just at the threshold (like drying your hair) is unlikely to do much harm, but it's also really not true that hearing damage is about sustained levels.
Shooting one bullet is a very very short burst of sound, the opposite of sustained, and anyone who shot a gun without protection can tell you you can get real hearing damage from that.

In any case, the point I really want to stress is that it is very much not true to say the guns with those attachments cannot cause hearing damage.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
There is a difference between an idiot with a gun spraying at a congressperson in public and orchestrating some Hitman shit that would require a silencer.

No one has ever run around DC for weeks, shooting at people with a sniper rifle. Nope, that Hitman shit never happens...

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
So this is like the 'ole smoke shop rules where you can't call a bong a bong but a "water pipe for herbal blends" was fair game? Except way more nefarious.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a distraction. People enterprising enough will find ways to build and modify shit. It's the ready made guns and ammunition that makes the real problem, not these DIY projects.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hearing damage accumulates over time, so yeah, a short period of noise just at the threshold (like drying your hair) is unlikely to do much harm, but it's also really not true that hearing damage is about sustained levels.
Shooting one bullet is a very very short burst of sound, the opposite of sustained, and anyone who shot a gun without protection can tell you you can get real hearing damage from that.

In any case, the point I really want to stress is that it is very much not true to say the guns with those attachments cannot cause hearing damage.
Ok well I guess really we are getting down to semantics. I didn't mean "LITERALLY no hearing damage". Moreso, to lessen the impact. Either way, I've had to study hearing loss because of my profession.

There is a lot of alarmism around it that's overblown. Yes its absolutely a thing but, I've seen some who evangelize about it so much that you'd think they suggest you should spend your life living in a perfectly silent box and avoiding anything enjoyable in your life.

I know plenty of musicians in their 50's and 60's that spent their lives around loud instruments. Is their hearing affected somewhat?

Yes.

Worth it?

Also yes.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it mostly for hearing protection in reality anyway?
They were meant to make guns silent, the selling point of the first silencer used to be "it won't scare animals".

FKoQSDc.jpg

The only problem is that this technology never ever worked as advertised.

Luckily, the a bunch of drunk English majors in the CIA were dumb enough to believe in that shit, and this why it's still a fucking thing today.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Literally at no time did I make that point, good job completely buying into your own strawman.

You made the claim that no one would ever try "some Hitman shit" and then argued that prior assassination attempts were just idiots "spraying" with a gun.

There have been professional assassination attempts against members of Congress and the President. This is fact.

To dismiss every attempt as random spraying with a gun is fantasy.

Attempting to claim that is a strawman is simply a failed attempt to avoid defending the original claim.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yep, random ass people on the street and a congresswoman, these are exactly the same, good point.

Why are they different? Congress reps appear in public all the time. At most they'll have an entourage with heavies to keep people getting in their personal space, not secret service setting up a perimeter.

We have shooters targeting congress reps. We have shooters doing what they can to mitigate being caught. These can't possibly overlap because...?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
For sure, suppressors are trash and almost useless compared to movies but they should still be illegal.

My concern would be a potential mass murderer feels more emboldened to commit mass shootings thinking that a suppressor is going to help them out.

Jul 18, 2018
I mentioned this in other thread. The NRA is definitely shifting towards a more focused market rather than overall gun laws. Suppressor market was one area they focused their politics at to pass laws for

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You made the claim that no one would ever try "some Hitman shit" and then argued that prior assassination attempts were just idiots "spraying" with a gun.

There have been professional assassination attempts against members of Congress and the President. This is fact.

To dismiss every attempt as random spraying with a gun is fantasy.

Attempting to claim that is a strawman is simply a failed attempt to avoid defending the original claim.

My one and only point in this thread is that someone trying to kill a congressswoman would not be aided by one of these shitty ass silencers. You reframing that as me suggesting no one would ever attempt to kill a congresswoman is the definition of a strawman.