• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTAV's open world still blows me away, and that's technically a last-gen game. No game has surpassed it in terms of just how it feels to be a part of that world and all the subtle details that went into building it and the people within it.

I can't imagine what they're going to do with a game built from the ground up for this generation.
GTA V is still probably best in class but NGL I think Watch Dogs 2 and AC Origins are right up there with it. Arguably even BotW when it comes to how gameplay interacts with the game world (if nothing else).

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I'm really impressed by how those encounters gonna be manage from what he said. Im not so sure about the subtle things about main missions. Like he said, I'm kinda of the player who most of times keep doing side missions and explore before doing the main thing. I would feel better if they points me whats the story mission. Also I'm not so sure about the sandbox thing because...I like to do whatever I want.

Still for all he said, I'm still very positive.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
As long as i get to hangout with my fellow cowpoke npcs and play poker, I'm totally in!

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
GTAV's open world still blows me away, and that's technically a last-gen game. No game has surpassed it in terms of just how it feels to be a part of that world and all the subtle details that went into building it and the people within it.

I can't imagine what they're going to do with a game built from the ground up for this generation.
The NPCs literally do nothing but walk, smoke, and drink coffee. And 70% of the map is unused useless empty land with nothing of signigicance to it. I think Dunkey worded it perfectly when he said that the map feels like a glorified backdrop to a linear cinematic cover shooter

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This sounds so, so good and reassuring.

Imagine an entire open world with the character fidelity of Majora's Mask. Is such a feat even possible?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Why throwing shade to other games? RDR is a fantastic game but I could spend a day calling faults on it.
I've no doubt that Rockstar leads the way in open world games but their games aren't perfect...

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Why throwing shade to other games? RDR is a fantastic game but I could spend a day calling faults on it.
I've no doubt that Rockstar leads the way in open world games but their games aren't perfect...

No, they are far from perfect, but they do tend to raise the bar. It will be interesting to see if they could pull it off this generation as well, since in 'their' open world genre they gained some fierce competition over the years.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Read every detail in OP. Still didn't get me excited for this game releasing soon. It's an odd feeling.
Might be cause of the quality open world games we've been getting this gen.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
No, they are far from perfect, but they do tend to raise the bar. It will be interesting to see if they could pull it off this generation as well, since in 'their' open world genre they gained some fierce competition over the years.

I'm sure it'll be one of the best games this gen, my point is that those No Man's Sky, Ubisoft, and Mass Effect Andromeda comments weren't necessary. Not cool.

Nov 2, 2017
The NPCs literally do nothing but walk, smoke, and drink coffee. And 70% of the map is unused useless empty land with nothing of signigicance to it. I think Dunkey worded it perfectly when he said that the map feels like a glorified backdrop to a linear cinematic cover shooter

It's criminal how under-used that map was in the singleplayer. I guess they really did see it as a big canvas for GTA Online.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
GTAV easily has one of the best open worlds in gaming.

Jun 1, 2018
Yeah I dont believe one word they say. I remember back before GTA V was released, they kept saying how "every NPC has its own life" and how you could follow an NPC for 24 hours and see how he would take the bus, go to work (for example they said landscaping) and how he would go home after that. none of that was in the final game. now they are saying the same things and overpromising stuff.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY

It's criminal how under-used that map was in the singleplayer. I guess they really did see it as a big canvas for GTA Online.

Agree on the unused map.

It's why I hate the setting of Los Santos/San Andreas, and why San Andreas is my least favorite GTA game (and why I'm not particularly fond of GTAV, despite my glowing praise for the way they build their world).

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There was a lot of talk of NPC "schedules" in MGS5 that ended up being absolutely fucking nothing.

Every time that's mentioned it never really amounts to much. So here's hoping Rockstar does something truly nuanced and immersive with it this time.

Shenmue got it right the first time in 1999. All NPCs had real, actual schedules. You could catch them coming out of their home in the morning, follow them all the way to work, watch them open shop, watch them take a lunch break somewhere else, then in the evening they'd close up shop and walk back to the same house they came from in the morning.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im really looking forward to this game.

As I said before, there are a few game companies that are the pillars of the Open World with their own takes. Those are (and in no order):

(1) Bethesda
(2) Ubisoft
(3) Nintendo
(4) CDProjekRed
(5) Rockstar

Any other open world seems to follow one of those pillars.

Rockstar has not had a crack at the open world since 2014. Some major (and truly awesome) games have come up out since then (and some semi-failures) that explore open worlds.

Im curious to see what Rockstar does to push the formula forward. My bet is that it goes more in the vein of a Witcher 3 type than a Nintendo type...if they can make it all organic and seamless, then they will have succeeded in pushing the medium forward. Witcher 3 was fantastic with its story and context, but it was clear "you are in a mission now." Nintendo was organic, but it also didn't have much of a story to tell. It just applied a great physics engine to an emaculately designed open world map and said go nuts.

We will see what Rockstar brings to the table.

All that to say, Im a sucker for the Western, so...I mean...yeah...Im going to love it.

Last edited:

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
That is not true. Watch Dogs 2 has 10x better NPCs with a lot more realistic dialog. Horizon has much better combat versus machines. While I agree GTA5 is large and detailed, saying no one comes close is ridiculous.
I would argue that the details is what Rockstar excels at and always have. Details that help to immerse the player and make for excellent world building. In that regard, I don't think many other games come close. Just my opinion, of course.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What I'm wondering is when should we expect the next GTA? Are they going to go an entire system gen without a new GTA release?

Will it come early next gen before there's an install base with the assumption that it will continue to sell through the whole 5-7 years?

Or will it come right at the end of this current gen, so it can be released twice like part V was?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm wondering is when should we expect the next GTA? Are they going to go an entire system gen without a new GTA release?

Will it come early next gen before there's an install base with the assumption that it will continue to sell through the whole 5-7 years?

Or will it come right at the end of this current gen, so it can be released twice like part V was?
I could see GTAVI being held off until very late next gen if not ps6/xbox3.

They're going to do with RDR2 what they did with GTAV. That means that over the next few years and into the next generation we'll get a PC port along with a next gen remaster. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if we get a 4K GTAV remaster for next gen systems seeing as how we still haven't received a Pro/X patch despite the continued success of the game.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I could see GTAVI being held off until very late next gen if not ps6/xbox3.

They're going to do with RDR2 what they did with GTAV. That means that over the next few years and into the next generation we'll get a PC port along with a next gen remaster. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if we get a 4K GTAV remaster for next gen systems seeing as how we still haven't received a Pro/X patch despite the continued success of the game.

Damn that would be what, probably like 15 years between V and VI if that was the case?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah GTA VI is missing this gen I feel. On the bright side it should be stunning when it does come out.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to avoid talking to the gang and opting to just listen in on conversations is gonna cause me to play just as introverted as I tend to be lol

I'm gonna talk them into DEATH

Talk no jutsu confirmed.

Yeah GTA VI is missing this gen I feel. On the bright side it should be stunning when it does come out.

You feel?

That's a guarantee.

We were never getting a GTA VI this gen. I don't know why anyone thought otherwise, especially after RDR2 was announced coming out as far into the generation as it is.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that would be what, probably like 15 years between V and VI if that was the case?
R* seems to be in a pretty consistent cycle when announcing and releasing their games. Release one big game at the end of the generation to ensure the highest install base, then when the "next gen" systems release, put out a remaster of the title on PC/next gen systems. This gets people to double and even triple dip.

I don't know why I said GTAVI could be a ps6 game. I'm certain it'll be released near the end of the ps5/nextbox generation.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of what they say reeks of PR bullshit. And considering all open worlds by Rockstar have felt pretty lifeless and by the ropes they have to show some gameplay first.
Bet that gameplay trailer is max 5 minutes.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're waiting until the end of this gen for the potential triple-dip like GTA V did (8th gen/9th gen/PC).

I've heard this suggested before, but that would mean we get a new GTA within 2 years and it seems really unlikely to me.

Would love to be proven wrong and have them do it though.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard this suggested before, but that would mean we get a new GTA within 2 years and it seems really unlikely to me.

Would love to be proven wrong and have them do it though.

There's been a giant gap of released games from GTA V till now (the biggest gap in the company's history). There's no way that they haven't been working on both RDR2 and GTA VI. Both of them coming out two years apart isn't that unlikely.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a giant gap of released games from GTA V till now (the biggest gap in the company's history). There's no way that they haven't been working on both RDR2 and GTA VI. Both of them coming out two years apart isn't that unlikely.
It's extremely unlikely. We know everyone at R* is working on RDR2 right now. They haven't entered full production on GTAVI yet

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
"- If you set up your own personal camp in a dangerous area (for example near groups of people that don't like guests in their area), you will experience very different situations than before, because you are just in the wrong place, even if you thought you have been everywhere and seen everything"

Uhhhh seems like PR bs or bad translation.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"- If you set up your own personal camp in a dangerous area (for example near groups of people that don't like guests in their area), you will experience very different situations than before, because you are just in the wrong place, even if you thought you have been everywhere and seen everything"

Uhhhh seems like PR bs or bad translation.

What's not to understand? They're saying it's a dynamic world where an area can change even after you visit it so you're never sure if it's safe or not. I'm guessing there's going to be roaming gangs or towns that will be extra cautious at times.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
AWsu5ew.gif
Legit lol'd.

Oct 26, 2017
R* seems to be in a pretty consistent cycle when announcing and releasing their games. Release one big game at the end of the generation to ensure the highest install base, then when the "next gen" systems release, put out a remaster of the title on PC/next gen systems. This gets people to double and even triple dip.

I don't know why I said GTAVI could be a ps6 game. I'm certain it'll be released near the end of the ps5/nextbox generation.

I see where you're coming from but if you think about it it's absolutely crazy that we'll probably be waiting that long for a new GTA. God I miss the days where Rockstar released a big game almost every year really. But what about Bully 2? There sure have been rumblings about that. I don't want to believe RDR2 is all we're getting until late next gen, that can't be.

Mar 17, 2018
I would argue that the details is what Rockstar excels at and always have. Details that help to immerse the player and make for excellent world building. In that regard, I don't think many other games come close. Just my opinion, of course.

Well that isn't really true either. Watch Dogs 2 and AC have taken a more detailed approach to their games with smaller maps in the case of WD2. AC is very big and detailed though.

I'm not sure why people think Rockstar is so far ahead of the pace here. Sure, RDR2 will put them back on top, but all they have released is GTA5, and that has been surpassed in things like NPC interaction and overall graphical fidelity. It's an old game for sure, but I don't see how GTA5 is competing with WD2 and AC in detail. I mean AC Unity had more detail than GTA5 will ever have in the interiors.

As far as owning things and business yes GTA5 is still on top no doubt about that. I was just clearing up things like world detail and NPC interaction. Rockstar's NPCs are terrible. Point blank. No questions asked. Watch Dogs 2 puts its NPCs to shame.

Mar 17, 2018

At the end of this current gen in like two years? Not a chance. They are fully concentrating on milking RDR2 for everything it is worth. There will not be another GTA until mid next gen more than likely. No way it releases in the PS4 era.

Mar 17, 2018

Yeah kinda, but I just started GTA5 lol. It definitely has its flaws, but it takes a long time for them to get a game out. I doubt GTA6 is much passed the planning and design stages right now.

They are probably fully on board as a company behind RDR2 to make their deadlines and get its online up to standard so they can see another 60m plus sales.

I'm sure we will get some info around next year's E3 or the year after that.

I am sure they can produce games faster now though as they are used to next gen stuff. We'll see. You never know maybe they are further along. But I don't see them cannibalizing any sales from their main item for at least two years out.