• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Just finished the series last night... holy shit was that ending bad.

Yeah the actual finale is terrible, but the two-parter that immediately preceded it (where the Enterprise returns to earth and has to deal with xenophobic terrorists) would have been a great place to leave the series, and unfortunately just as relevant today as it was back then.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I always liked it, even 18 years ago. But the later version for season 3 was shite.
No way in hell. The only reason the shitty buttrock song is there is because they chickened out on using the original music intended for the open, which became Archer's Theme.

Now that is a fucking Star Trek opening.

This however would have been perfect.
Just finished the series last night... holy shit was that ending bad.

Oh yeah. We don't talk about the ending lol.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love the song, but I don't like how tinny it sounded on TV. It's much better with full bass.
(Rod Stewart's version is also pretty lacking. Watson's is definitely the definitive version.)

Best opening next to DS9, IMO. Good decision to go in a new direction.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017

Honestly, I think PLANETES is a great example of how you take the concept behind the Enterprise intro, and do it right. It's also much more thematically resonant with the story of the actual show it's tied to.

The theme song is way, way worse though. Stupidly out of place with the visuals.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
No way in hell. The only reason the shitty buttrock song is there is because they chickened out on using the original music intended for the open, which became Archer's Theme.

Now that is a fucking Star Trek opening.

No.

Plodding tune that seems to go nowhere and has no presence. Kind of like how the DS9 tune was before Season 4 when they realised they had to up the ante a bit.

And I disliek the idea of somethign being a "Star Trek opening". It shows a lot of the closed mindedness of Star Trek fans that has a tendency to hold the show back.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I love the visuals, but yeah the song doesn't fit. I'd have used that song for end credits music maybe.

Also feels like the show chickened out on the vibe presented in the opening credits. After a few episodes, for the most part, they might as well have the same tech as TOS era Federation.

Edit: and the updated versions of both the DS9 theme and the Enterprise theme were changed for the worse.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the visuals, but yeah the song doesn't fit. I'd have used that song for end credits music maybe.

Also feels like the show chickened out on the vibe presented in the opening credits. After a few episodes, for the most part, they might as well have the same tech as TOS era Federation.

Edit: and the updated versions of both the DS9 theme and the Enterprise theme were changed for the worse.
The showrunners initially planned season 1 to take place completely on Earth with the ship actually launching at the end of its 1st season. Network execs balked.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Plodding tune that seems to go nowhere and has no presence. Kind of like how the DS9 tune was before Season 4 when they realised they had to up the ante a bit.

And I disliek the idea of somethign being a "Star Trek opening". It shows a lot of the closed mindedness of Star Trek fans that has a tendency to hold the show back.

I am not a Star Trek fan to any great degree. I find most of it clunky and sterile when it's not being campy and cheesy. The only Trek I think is legitimately good is a handful of TOS eps, a handful of TNG eps, most of the TOS films, and the Dominion War arc.

I'm speaking not as a Trek fan but as a fan of TV that doesn't suck and/or embarrass the people watching it when I say that Archer's Theme open is infinitely superior to what actually aired.