• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I actually still don't know why it was so hated. Only big negative for me was that the game was so short. Setting was amazing, story and characters were fine and gameplay was good too. Especially gunplay. Well maybe if I had paid 60€ I would had been more disappointed but at 30€ it was solid enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the werewolf fights were the worst in the game that's probably a good thing.
That's true. "So we've got this amazing Knights of the Round Table vs. werewolves premise, and I was wondering how we could make it as unexciting as possible?"
"Why don't we make all werewolf fights either QTEs or dumb pop'n'shoot sections?"
"PERFECT!"

Last edited:

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love the game, but I paid $10.

There isn't $60 worth of content for me, and far too many QTEs.

Such a shame... I would love to see a sequel with co-op, player agency and more content/ story.

Its an unfinished game, I remember reading about them needing a extra 3-6 months to add content but sony wouldnt budge.
Actually according to Ru Weerasuriya they made the concious choice to remove gameplay/ combat as they wanted a more cinematic game

"I will tell you what I did read a lot of, was the length of the game. I don't necessarily think that it was one against the other, that production value took away from gameplay mechanics; it was whether or not there [were] more combat sections. "Did we have the 20-30 minutes of all out combat?" Which we didn't. We purposely made those things shorter".
IP/ background building and engine building I think took a ton of time, and at the end of the game it does feel rushed.
This being said Sony did give them a delayed release, from late 2014 to early 2015, for "polishing".

Last edited:

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Such a horrible game. Horrible story, horrible characters, horrible pacing, horrible encounters, horrible boss fights, horrible enemy variety. It's just a bad game.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you paid 60 bucks for it. I feel your pain, but if you paid sub 20 a year later. You were probably pretty pleased with it. It isn't a terrible game. Just underwhelming. I liked it. But wish i didnt buy it at launch.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
A very well made game, but they got the fundamental gameplay aspects all wrong. It really should've been co-op cover shooter instead of the on rails experience that it was. Also a surprising lack of supernatural creatures and boss fights.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
Can't find any newer topic so I came here. Just wanted to say that I really think it's a shame that we'll probably never get a sequel to this game. It was a great experience in my eyes and had so much crazy potential. The world, characters, writing, music, graphics were all fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay when it came to the unique feeling of the guns. A sequel that had a better narrative with more gameplay elements, plus a longer run-time would have tremendous potential.

After finishing it, it stuck with me for quite some time which was very unexpected. To this day, I find myself missing the world and I re-listen to some of the soundtrack while being able to cite some of the dialogue in the game. Just... damn.

"Men were never meant to live this life."
"There shall come a day when all our burdens will end brother... Maybe then, we shall know true peace."
"...And don't you know? I am Galahad, no more."

Paulogy

Oct 25, 2017
I still hope someone picks up the torch and makes The Order: 1887. It just won't be Ready at Dawn though because they were acquired by Facebook...

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
It is one of the greatest wasted opportunities in the history of games. All the fantasy monsters and then you fight mostly boring humans from behind cover. Nikola Tesla making weapons for you and mostly you just use generic assault rifles, the interesting weapons are rare setpieces. The entire thing ending on a cliffhanger. Motherfucking Dracula is in the game and you don't get to fight him. Nothing about it actually makes any sense.

Last edited:

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My wish is that one day a sequel will happen with improvements. I mean the ending was hype as hell setting up Galahad to go rogue and fight monsters on his own terms iirc.

I remember thinking "We Batman now" at that ending lol

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. I mean it could have been longer, had better mechanics etc. but man is that game a looker...

Oct 27, 2017
Great setting and concept, cool world, amazing graphics, but what little gameplay it had was just bad.

I bought the special edition for cheap at Gamestop because that necklace looked kinda cool. Even the damn necklace ended up being a disappointment.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I absolutely loved it, though it did come with my PS4. Length is my only complaint. Weapons were great fun, setting and story were fun enough, looked fantastic. Overall had a very positive experience with it. Though I do feel like I should replay it one of these days to see whether my thoughts have changed after an entire generation of games...

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The reveal that
there is actually vampires too
was pretty hype, only thing I remember from the game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The reveal that
there is actually vampires too
was pretty hype, only thing I remember from the game.
But that's also where it ends. Their existence is entirely a setup for a sequel that will never happen. They have no impact on the plot and therefore no reason to actually be in the game at all. Lord Hastings is such a nothing character that they had to make him Dracula AND Jack the Ripper at the same time just to give him any characterization at all.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
the-order-1886-cover-art.jpg

The Order 1886 is one of the biggest missed opportunities for the current generation by far. When I saw the initial teaser at the PlayStation reveal event in February of 2013, I had grandiose thoughts of a 4-player co-op game set in the dark seedy underworld of an alternate London, with imaginative weaponry. fighting off hordes of creatures, wolves and vampires, etc. This was going to be an amazing gritty shooter that would truly stand out among the crowd with it's unique set of characters, location, atmosphere and storytelling.

Instead we got a slow-paced, QTE laced walking simulator, with very little game-play and what was there was pretty clunky at best. I know the developers (Ready At Dawn), were a small inexperienced team, but what were they thinking? Sony knew it too since prior to launch we would only get random 10-second clips here and there. The game looked gorgeous, the voice acting was incredible and the atmosphere still packed a punch. However, as a package, it just fell flat. Seriously, what a missed opportunity.

It missed the mark so bad that a sequel will probably never happen but in theory it could be a hugely successful game if they just made it an actual....game.

Huh? Walking simulator? I remember a pretty competent TPS with ridiculous next gen graphics. Nothing I need to replay but perfectly good for what it was.

Also RAD was not inexperienced, they made like the top three games on the PSP, all with PS2 level visuals that thing had no business delivering.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
I still fruitlessly hope there's a chance Facebook will let RAD make a sequel with Sony. Add weapons upgrades, less cutscenes, more gameplay and enemy variety/AI.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I worked on that game ... beautiful game... but every scene I got... I realized more and more that it was going to disappoint lots of people

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
recently finished it

graphically amazing

could have been longer though, outside of that...not a bad game

don't understand the complaints
It's a bad game through and through.
-You spend more time watching cutscenes than playing the game. An entire chapter is a cutscene.
-Despite this, the story and characters are bad. It's a cliche story filled with worn out stereotypes (womanizing young guy, grizzled mentor who dies immediately, straight-arrow ally who turns out to be the villain).
-Wastes it's setting. Three poor encounters with non-human enemies in a world where you play as monster hunters.
-Bad gameplay. Bad encounter design, constant railroading, shitty stealth sections, constant forced walking sections.

It's just a bad game. Coming up with clever game ideas/settings is easy. Making a good game out of it is hard.

Jun 29, 2020
Neverland
It's a bad game through and through.
-You spend more time watching cutscenes than playing the game. An entire chapter is a cutscene.
-Despite this, the story and characters are bad. It's a cliche story filled with worn out stereotypes (womanizing young guy, grizzled mentor who dies immediately, straight-arrow ally who turns out to be the villain).
-Wastes it's setting. Three poor encounters with non-human enemies in a world where you play as monster hunters.
-Bad gameplay. Bad encounter design, constant railroading, shitty stealth sections, constant forced walking sections.

It's just a bad game. Coming up with clever game ideas/settings is easy. Making a good game out of it is hard.
I agree with all your points and yet

I liked it

*shrugs*

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
I worked on that game ... beautiful game... but every scene I got... I realized more and more that it was going to disappoint lots of people

well. It didn't disappoint me

I agree with all your points and yet

I liked it

*shrugs*

agreed..

I think it was probably the expectations it set in the marketing. Suppose people expected a gothic London Gears of War and we got something else. I enjoyed it for what it was regardless of other complaints and am gutted we won't see a sequel.

Jun 29, 2020
Neverland
well. It didn't disappoint me

agreed..

I think it was probably the expectations it set in the marketing. Suppose people expected a gothic London Gears of War and we got something else. I enjoyed it for what it was regardless of other complaints and am gutted we won't see a sequel.
there were rumors a while back that a multiplat sequel might be coming

i don't know if there was any truth to those rumors though

Smartina

Banned
Jul 9, 2020
I finally finished the game yesterday after buying it more than a year ago for five bucks. It's short but I still was glad when it was over. The game is just unpleasant and I fault the boring, unlikable main character for that. Okay, and the terrible gameplay transitions. It's just not intuitive, almost the opposite of a Naughty Dog game, how gunplay-scenes lead over to QTE and exploration. I liked the pure gunplay well enough, even though the FOV was seriously limited by the scope ratio which made things a bit confusing sometimes. The graphics are fantastic, the setting is fascinating and the story okay, but the characters in general suck. But I see a lot of potential that could've led to a great sequel.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The game was still good, and it still looks amazing. Sony could totally do a sequel if they own the rights of the IP.

I mean, they did a sequel to Gravity Rush which sold very poorly -and fucked up the sequel :( but still, the point is that the game has potential and with a good team, they can continue the franchise.

Or! Revive Heavenly Sword!

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I think I bought it for $10 and I did enjoy it at that price. I thought a sequel could be incredible but they never did it. Some of the elements in the game were really great and the graphics were incredible.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But that's also where it ends. Their existence is entirely a setup for a sequel that will never happen. They have no impact on the plot and therefore no reason to actually be in the game at all. Lord Hastings is such a nothing character that they had to make him Dracula AND Jack the Ripper at the same time just to give him any characterization at all.
I mean yeah 100% accurate haha, without that reveal don't think i'd remember a single thing.

Styrman

Nov 7, 2017
I honestly enjoyed it quite a lot.
A sequel that fixed some of the issues could be amazing.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Great graphics and atmosphere, interesting world and story. Very limited gameplay and sudden ending like there was no enough money for proper developing finish. Like game but pay only like 15$ for it and would love to play proper sequel for ps5.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
After playing it, I kind of understand what RAD meant when they said story was the most important part of the game (a line that caused a lot of criticism before release). They wrote the story first and then added interaction where it made sense. That's why there's a chapter that's just messing around in Tesla's lab. That's why a chapter asks you to find clues for an investigation and then this mechanic never appears again. That's why a chapter is nothing but cutscenes. The story required those scenes and they did what they could to give the player something to do. I wouldn't even be mad if the story was good, I'm all for story based games, but this isn't the case with The Order. I think they had to cut a significant part of the story due to time / budget constraints (they had to copy/paste the lycan boss fight just to pad the length!), so arguably it was supposed to be much better than what we got, but what we got was so awful it wasn't worth sacrificing everything else for it.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
The setting was right up my alley and the pacing was alright. But the gameplay was limited and the playtime quite short.

That cliffhanger is bad too, because a successor is certainly not planned.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I really liked it but I also didn't play it wanting a Gears of War game, I pretty much wanted a really pretty adventure game and I really liked the setting.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have released at half the usual retail rate, might not have been so bad and help manage expectations

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Can you speak to the development process of the game? The good or the bad.
I can only speak for the animation which ... aside from being disorganized... was good

I just remember seeing the rappelling scene (i made a couple loops for that) watching them line up to rappel ... then they rappel... and then he just sits there ... waiting for you to push triangle... and then you push triangle and another cutscene plays where he gets on the platform and walks in to the blimp... with another cutscene ... And I remember thinking...
"Oh dear... it's gonna be like this the whole game isn't it..."

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
Graphics over everything else. That's where we are. That's what developers prioritize because they want love from gamers. Just look at the negativity surrounding next gen so far.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i bought and played it years after launch. its a fun little game if you didnt pay 60 dollars for it. also still one of the best art direction of the gen.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it's that bad of game to be honest, it just lacks content and the level design is mediocre at best. But the characters, visuals, music and gunplay were top notch.
With some tweaking Order 2 could have been pretty good.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
You know what's the worst part about The Order failing? There were other studios with concepts where the setting was similar to The Order, and they canceled them so as to not make the same thing.

So on top of the game failing and never getting a sequel, we lost the chance to play games in that setting with (perhaps) better gameplay. It really sucks.

Hopefully some studio makes a game in that setting for next gen.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
it was the best 5 dollars i ever spent, its a barebones "game", but damn its still one of the most visually impressive games ive ever seen, i think a sequel wouldve expanded the limited gameplay, but it was not meant to be.