• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

Andrew Bosworth (Boz)

Well the cat’s (officially) out of the bag: Our company is now Meta to better reflect who we are and our ambitions to help build the metaverse. Our org will become Reality Labs and our work is a key...
Andrew Bosworth (Boz)

Well the cat's (officially) out of the bag: Our company is now Meta to better reflect who we are and our ambitions to help build the metaverse. Our org will become Reality Labs and our work is a key part of that future.

We're focused on human connection and bringing people together. And we've believed in the power of new technologies to transcend space and time since our inception. The last 18 months have only strengthened our conviction. Allowing people who are physically apart to share experiences as if they were together in the same place is incredibly powerful. That's what the metaverse will be about.

Today I want to share publicly why we made these brand decisions for the company, what it means for my organization, and where we go from here.

Reality Labs

One year ago we changed our org name from AR/VR to Facebook Reality Labs as a way to encompass the expansive work we do. We're updating our name again to Reality Labs for the very same reason — to better make the connection that our org is building the technology that will enable the future metaverse.

While our org name is changing, our mission remains the same: "to build the tools that help people feel connected anytime, anywhere." When we wrote this mission statement, we wanted to ensure it reflected our work but was flexible enough to grow alongside our org. And it has — even as we've expanded to include new teams like Metaverse, AI, Workplace, and Developer Platform and expanded our scope and remit.

Over the next few weeks and months, we'll cascade these name changes to Reality Labs Research and other teams, as well as to our internal and external sites.

Realigning our product branding

We're bringing our brands and products closer to Meta, which is the umbrella for all our products and services. When people buy our products, we want them to clearly understand that all of these devices come from Meta and ladder up to our metaverse vision. That's why we're evolving our brand across our current lines of hardware in-market, as well as for all future products, in order to bring more consistency across the portfolio and more transparency to consumers.

VR will be the most immersive way for people to access the metaverse and as we look toward our goal of bringing 1B people into VR, we want to make it clear that Quest is a Meta product. For this reason, we're simplifying our brand architecture and shifting away from the Oculus brand. Starting in early 2022, you'll start to see the shift from Oculus Quest from Facebook to Meta Quest and Oculus App to Meta Quest App over time.

We all have a strong attachment to the Oculus brand, and this was a very difficult decision to make. While we're retiring the name, I can assure you that the original Oculus vision remains deeply embedded in how Meta will continue to drive mass adoption for VR today.

We'll also expand Meta Horizon as the brand that will encompass all of our first-party immersive social experiences. You've seen this already with Horizon Workrooms and Horizon Worlds. Soon you'll see us shift from Oculus to Horizon Home, Horizon Venues, Horizon Friends, and Horizon Profile.

As we've focused more on work, and as we've heard feedback from the VR community more broadly, we're working on new ways to log into Quest that won't require a Facebook account, landing sometime next year. This is one of our highest priority areas of work internally.

Over the next few months, you'll see a phased rollout of the brand across all the relevant products and services — including Facebook Portal to Meta Portal. This shift from one brand identity to another is not a trivial one, and it must be done thoughtfully to ensure brand equity and transparency.

What's next

It is daunting to think of how much work there is to achieve the metaverse vision we laid out at Connect. But I am comforted when I think of how much progress we have made over the last four years that I've been working with this team. That work laid the foundation for the broader metaverse vision that we are now focused on as a company. Not much will fundamentally change for our work or our deliverables in the near term, but over time this will serve as a unifying force.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Meta Quest sounds like an indie RPG that relies too much on self referential humor

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I question the wisdom of this move, since the headlines about Facebook will likely to start referring to Meta, and I'm not sure I'm going to buy a device from a brand that I'll expect to repeatedly read as "enabling genocides" and "encouraging extremism" in the next few years.

OP
OP
Lord Arcadio

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Since the logo currently says "Oculus from Facebook", they could have just changed it to "Oculus from Meta" and called it a day.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a dumb move. Oculus was almost well known enough to be used a generic name for VR headsets.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Awful idea, Oculus was already a well established and well regarded brand and it allowed them to have some separation between Oculus and the rest of the company. The execs at this nightmarish company must be as dumb as many of their users

OP
OP
Lord Arcadio

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they at least keep the logo.

mfuLStB.png

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
This will either be a good or bad decision. Everyone I've talked to in regards to VR says "I'm going to get an Oculus", not "I'm going to get a Quest".

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, very smart. Instead of having Oculus being at least nominally separate from the Facebook trashfire, now when the Meta brand is poison in two weeks when everyones heard today's announcements the VR headset will enjoy that blowback as well.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I get they're excited about Meta, but this seems like a mistake. Oculus was so well-established as a brand. Weird choice.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I echo a lot of the sentiment here. To most, Oculus is the "Name Brand" VR.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
So, they're removing the requirement of signing in with a Facebook account but changing the name of the device line to match that of the parent company's new name? That...doesn't make much sense. I mean, anyone you potentially won over by removing the Facebook account requirement is probably going to at least raise an eyebrow to the choice to put the company's name in place of the original brand name.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can see it now:

"I want that new Meta VR thing, but I'll wait for the next Oculus instead." or some variation thereof.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Really really stupid move. Casual folks often call the Quest an Oculus headset instead. They have no idea about the Rift vs Go vs Quest 1/2.

Nov 1, 2017
The name "Meta" for a company might be even worse than the previous worse name of all time: The Wii. God it's embarrassing. Also not to be harsh but considering how rich Mark Zuckerberg is how is it he still has a haircut that looks like a half blind, arthritic war veteran suffering from PTSD did it for him? Dude, you have more money than you can spend, hire a fucking stylist. In fact he has an entirely alien/android look about him in general. If it turns out that aliens have lived among us all along or the technology to create sort of realistic looking human androids has existed for years i'd just point at Mark and go "Yeah, figures".

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
They are banking on Meta and The Metaverse being huge I'm a few years so I can see the reasoning behind the change.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
I get that Zuckerberg is interested in implementing (again) someone else's idea. Yay for him. Yes, Snow Crash is a really good book.

But this just seems like a way to associate all of FB's ongoing, neverending transgressions in a negative way with literally everything else the FB umbrella is doing.

Trashing the Oculus name to more strongly associate it with FB doesn't help anything. Just like trashing the Instagram name to call it a Metagram (which I'm sure they'll do at some point) would be stupid. It will just make it that much easier for people who already loathe Facebook (myself included) to more comfortably choose not to use any of their other products.

Or to put it another way, quite possibly the best way to kill people's enthusiasm for a technology idea is for FB to associate itself with it. The idea of a metaverse is cool, but not cool enough to overcome all the awfulness that FB leadership will bring to their vision of it.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So what is all this metaverse crap FB are doing? Is it simply just rebranding? Like making all their things Meta____ like Google has with it's services? To try and brand them all under one roof so people are fully away they are using Facebook chat and facebook picture sharer and facebook vr but moving away from the FB name because it's so toxic?

Someone somewhere mentioned it was related to the Metaverse thing from Ready Player One and that was what they wanted to do but everything I've seen is more on talks about putting everything under a brand name and less about creating a virtual super chatroom thing (which VR Chat already is anyway)

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Are they only changing their main name from Facebook since "Facebook" name has been tarnished in the last few years with all the bad publicity? Like do they want a fresh start so people don't link everything back to FB in a sense?

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Are they only changing their main name from Facebook since "Facebook" name has been tarnished in the last few years with all the bad publicity? Like do they want a fresh start so people don't link everything back to FB in a sense?
Facebook will still exist as a product of their meta universe.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
The rebranding of Facebook at large is very stupid. People still call Google, Google. Nobody ever says Alphabet. Nobody is going to call Facebook Meta.

I do get rebranding Oculus, though. That brand was flushed down the toilet years ago thanks to its fascist founder and subsequent acquisition by maybe the most evil company on earth.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this seems dumb, they easily could have kept Oculus as the name for their AR/VR line of products under the general Meta umbrella. At times Zuck's decisions remind me of George Lucas where when he gets any hairbrained idea everyone just has to smile and nod along since he's the one cutting the checks.

I get the whole point of buying Oculus in the first place was leading up to this metaverse/FB in VR moment, but it still feels shortsighted when you've got x amount of years in which people associate Oculus as being the VR company.

Oct 27, 2017
The rebranding of Facebook at large is very stupid. People still call Google, Google. Nobody ever says Alphabet. Nobody is going to call Facebook Meta.

I do get rebranding Oculus, though. That brand was flushed down the toilet years ago thanks to its fascist founder and subsequent acquisition by maybe the most evil company on earth.
That's a different situation. Google is still the company whose products you use, but the parent company it sits under is Alphabet (which also has separate companies like Waymo, Verily etc). You as a consumer generally wouldn't have much need to talk about Alphabet (as that was really more of a move that was done in regards to business/financial reporting realities), as the company whose products you're referring to is still Google (and that's why they haven't been rebranded).

Here the company is (currently) called Facebook, which happens to be the name of their biggest product. So the company name will now be changed, but the product remains Facebook. So people will generally move over to calling the broader company Meta I believe given time.