• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
If you don't need to stay connected, then what is this?

If we could actually work this out and troubleshoot it, that would be really good but we mostly have these things thrown out in isolation without much follow-up. Did you start playing connected, then lose connection?

Because what I know from first hand experience having done it last night is: Turning on flight mode, booting DOOM, clicking OKAY on the "yo, no online features that don't actually exist" message, and then starting a session went flawlessly without interruptions.

What is your setup, did you start connected? Like, let's actually figure out what's happening.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
You're gonna want to take those DOOM WADS from your Steam version and play them through a source port like GZDOOM. It's the best modern DOOM experience you can have.

Yeah I do use GZDOOM, it's just so feature heavy and adding things like jump and y axis aiming aren't the most DOOMthentic experience right off the bat. Also that weird dead rabbit cursor.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Made a Bethesda account and it keeps giving me errors when I try to log in. Bullshit. Get your shit together, Bethesda.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I do use GZDOOM, it's just so feature heavy and adding things like jump and y axis aiming aren't the most DOOMthentic experience right off the bat. Also that weird dead rabbit cursor.

Both jump and y axis aiming are disabled by default in GZDoom, though, as it comes when you start it for the first time is pretty "Doomthentic", right off the bat. In fact it's very rare for jumping to be used, there is a setting that basically only enables it if the map you load has a flag that allows jumping, but >90% of the time level designers disallow it.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, the first time I played through DOOM many years ago I legit thought jumping and free aim were part of the game (I'm not old enough to have played DOOM when it came out) and since jumping breaks the flow of the levels completely, I experienced them all wrong, especially in DOOM II.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Both jump and y axis aiming are disabled by default in GZDoom, though, as it comes when you start it for the first time is pretty "Doomthentic", right off the bat. In fact it's very rare for jumping to be used, there is a setting that basically only enables it if the map you load has a flag that allows jumping, but >90% of the time level designers disallow it.

I was pretty much gonna say this.

Mabec

Oct 27, 2017
If they remove the current versions on Steam as well with this new Unity build we will probably not see any cool mods.
IF. They havent yet. But... why wouldnt Bethesda?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed at the ports being less than perfect. On the other hand, I've played and throughly enjoyed some less than perfect ports in the past. It's just so disappointing that in 2019 we can't get a perfect port on current gen consoles.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Any impressions from you guys that bought them on Switch?

Mainly interested in Doom and Doom 2. Any reason to get them on Ps4 over Switch? How do they play?

Thank you!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Any impressions from you guys that bought them on Switch?

Mainly interested in Doom and Doom 2. Any reason to get them on Ps4 over Switch? How do they play?

Thank you!
Well we've had lots of impressions already in the thread. They're all the same across platforms. Switch versions have HD rumble properly supported (chainsaw!). No issues in how they play. The resolution is stretched instead of original 4:3 aspect ration and it has some texture frame on the sides the fill the space.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm more concerned about the music problems and screen size thing but that's good news at least!

Now please fix those problems too ASAP Bethesda.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Good on Bethesda for addressing the login issue pretty quickly.

Now please fix the music and I'll be satisfied.
What's this music issue everyone is talking about? Is it in every game? Only certain consoles? I just finished knee deep in the dead of DOOM on switch and compared every level's music to my steam version of the game at the start of each level and it's identical.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
What's this music issue everyone is talking about? Is it in every game? Only certain consoles? I just finished knee deep in the dead of DOOM on switch and compared every level's music to my steam version of the game at the start of each level and it's identical.
I have read that the music is slower. There is a video on it on Youtube.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I have read that the music is slower. There is a video on it on Youtube.
Interesting, I'll check it out. I didn't listen to them side by side for more than a few seconds but it didn't seem slower, but I'll try it out again to see if I notice. I will say that just playing through normally, I didn't notice it. I only checked after the fact after reading about it so either way it isn't that bad.

Oct 25, 2017

The music is slightly but noticeably slower than it should be. Not as bad as Wolfenstein 3D on PS3, but it's there. I'm on Switch, but I've heard other versions suffer this as well.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda said that while the XBLA versions of Doom 1/2 are unavailable to purchase anymore. Them being unavailable to redownload by those who purchased them in the past is a glitch and they will be fixing it soon for all previous purchasers to redownload soon.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Bethesda said that while the XBLA versions of Doom 1/2 are unavailable to purchase anymore. Them being unavailable to redownload by those who purchased them in the past is a glitch and they will be fixing it soon for all previous purchasers to redownload soon.
I brought that 360 version years ago, i wouldn't mind downloading it again. it was a great port.