• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, while I could never really get into DOOM 2, I have to say that I really don't care much for the original DOOM once you get past the second episode. That's why I've always actually been kind of partial to the Jaguar version of DOOM, as it had an abbreviated level set.
Doom gets progressively worse as you go through the episodes, which was pretty common in shareware games at the time. (Though I don't think the game ever gets outright bad)

Jun 2, 2019
This was a genuine surprise I wish Twitter didn't spoil to me. Bought Doom instantly (Thank you web eshop) and was planning to buy the whole trilogy but reading the thread made me feel like Doom 2 is prescindible? I dunno, never played it. Doom 3 looks interesting though.

Also those Doom 64 rumors got me hyped. The idea of having the whole series in a portable is making me feel really satisfied with my Switch

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Doom freezes up on Switch after resuming from deep sleep. I've had this happen twice.

I also just had it get stuck on zero health with no level restart. I had to save and reload to fix it.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yay for them listening to the complaints on the silly DRM.

I'll try this series for the first time then.

Are the platinum trophies for all three games manageable or pretty hard? I'll go PS4 if it's easy, Switch if it's not.

Oct 26, 2017
This was a genuine surprise I wish Twitter didn't spoil to me. Bought Doom instantly (Thank you web eshop) and was planning to buy the whole trilogy but reading the thread made me feel like Doom 2 is prescindible? I dunno, never played it. Doom 3 looks interesting though.

Also those Doom 64 rumors got me hyped. The idea of having the whole series in a portable is making me feel really satisfied with my Switch
If you reaaaally want to prescind of one game, I would prescind of Doom 1,not 2. 2 is Doom 1 + new weapon + some new monsters.

Oct 26, 2017
And worse level design, less iconic stages, bosses and music :p

Both games are great, but I'd always go for Doom over Doom 2
I prefer d2 level design to d1. It's much more memorable. Usually people say D1 is more iconic... because it was their first Doom so it was it made a bigger impact in their minds, but there is more interesting and varies level and encounter design in D2.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer d2 level design to d1. It's much more memorable. Usually people say D1 is more iconic... because it was their first Doom so it was it made a bigger impact in their minds, but there is more interesting and varies level and encounter design in D2.

Quality of the levels seem highly dependant on who the level designer is. Doom 1 episode 1 was pretty much all Romero. Doom 2 seems to take a bit of a nosedive once you get to Sandy Peterson's levels (the "city" areas). Same kind of deal with Quake 1's maps really, where the best was frontloaded to episode 1.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Doom freezes up on Switch after resuming from deep sleep. I've had this happen twice.

I also just had it get stuck on zero health with no level restart. I had to save and reload to fix it.
It does eventually unfreeze after sleep if you wait a bit. It could be attempting to reconnect to the servers. I've had it happen in CTR as well.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom 3 is a fucking classic. Already sank 7 hours into it. I almost exclusively play it at night due to heatwave, but its the way you should play it anyway.

The sound and atmosphere are flawless. Its just the shooting and AI that feels kind of bland nowadays, but its a 15 year old game. I think I prefer the OG release though, it was certainly tougher and nastier and I never really minded the flashlight mechanic. But this is a good romp for 10 bucks.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
So I've never played Doom 3... Is it really that focused on jump scares and being tense all the time?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
The sound and atmosphere are flawless. Its just the shooting and AI that feels kind of bland nowadays, but its a 15 year old game.

that's no excuse. plenty of great shooters are even older and are holding up well.

looking at the GLOWING reception from around release really confuses the shit out of me. i would say people were blinded by the graphics, but that cannot be, since the game is all shadows :o)

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Wait so the "Disconnected from Bethesda.net" message keeps popping up when you're playing...?! What the hell?

I've just died a few times because it popped up during totally inopportune moments.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
So I've never played Doom 3... Is it really that focused on jump scares and being tense all the time?

Gonna disagree with most people here and say no. You can inchy squinchy through the game at a snail's pace, jumping at everything in fright, or you can run everywhere at full speed and blast the shit out of anything that moves. It's most fun this way, and enemy counts increase gradually in the game to accommodate this style of play.

Kinda like how the original Doom was tense and frightful when first playing it all those years ago, but mastery and familiarity lets you play it a different way. It's great!

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Super weird that 3 isn't available on the German PS Store while I & II are. Oh well, if it runs good enough on Switch I might just get 3 there.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The enemy design in Doom 3 isn't the best, but the way the enemies move and behave? Really unsettling. The imps throw fireballs, but also crawl on the floor and pounce at you. And when you get scratched the camera shakes to make you really feel like your character just took one to the face.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Doom 3 performance on Switch is a little patchy but I'm enjoying it.

Also, I maintain that people overstate the survival horror aspect of it. Yeah it's a little slower but once things kick off it's continuous shooting more or less. It's closer to Dead Space 2 than anything else.

Also Doom > Doom 2. Pretty much the only stricly better thing 2 has over 1 is the super shotgun but that throws the balance out of whack, and a few more enemies. Some of which are just annoying. Doom 2 is all over the place level design wise, some is great and some is utter gash.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Cool. I'll keep going then. I'm playing on Switch so no trophy to care about. It's more about the experience.

It's so interesting to me the direction they went with 3. I'm liking it for what it is. That being said I am super pumped for the direction they are currently heading. The fast pace and enemy dense environments are sooooo much fun.

That's good I haven't even cared to look for trophies, I just got lost in the atmosphere that I feel like I'm in this Mars space station.

I absolutely love this direction, the new direction is amazing to that I wish they do something similar to resident evil where they make two or three types of gameplay.

Have one Doom game have the high speed rip and tear arena style and the other set in claustrophobic rooms with an emphasis on scares and atmosphere. I believe it could work.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'll defend Doom 2's levels. They might be confusing in places, but they had real character and gave you a real epic feel completing and exploring them.

Even if the "City" levels didn't really resemble a city at all...

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Gonna disagree with most people here and say no. You can inchy squinchy through the game at a snail's pace, jumping at everything in fright, or you can run everywhere at full speed and blast the shit out of anything that moves. It's most fun this way, and enemy counts increase gradually in the game to accommodate this style of play.

Kinda like how the original Doom was tense and frightful when first playing it all those years ago, but mastery and familiarity lets you play it a different way. It's great!

Yup. The game introduces weapons enemies and enviroments all throughout the game, right until you reach Hell. Then a shift happens. You return to Mars. But it then becomes very action filled, like the old games. It ditches any trace of horror or slowness and you battle constantly only the thoughest enemy types. Its really awesome, that shift in action.

You wont find this mentioned in reviews at the time, but people who play it know, keep a look out for this, after Hell

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yup. The game introduces weapons enemies and enviroments all throughout the game, right until you reach Hell. Then a shift happens. You return to Mars. But it then becomes very action filled, like the old games. It ditches any trace of horror or slowness and you battle constantly only the thoughest enemy types. Its really awesome, that shift in action.

You wont find this mentioned in reviews at the time, but people who play it know, keep a look out for this, after Hell
Also, random moment; that long corridor shot in Hell when a Baron comes skulking through a door, the Hell light casting his shadow down the hall. So epic. So creepy.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
What's the pedigree of Doom 64? Was it made by an entirely different set of devs or were any of the original game developers involved in it?

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
What's the pedigree of Doom 64? Was it made by an entirely different set of devs or were any of the original game developers involved in it?

you can read it on wikipedia. It was made by midway. It wasnt even called Doom, they put the name for brand recognition. They wanted it to be a launch title, but id software who were supervising the project said the game was shit so they reworked the levels.

I never liked the game myself, at all

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Just finished Ultimate Doom via GZDoom, damn this game gets crazy when you are in hell.
But the writing is funny lol.
How is the PS1 port by the way? Worth playing?

Oct 27, 2017
It was made by midway but overseen by ID and it is excellent. It continues the PSX Doom atmosphere and thus is more horror focused (yet still fast like the past Doom games). It has some new enemies, a very different artstyle and has new weapons like the unmaker which is a badass weapon and has a new final boss instead of Icon of Sin or the Spider Mastermind.

Well worth a playthrough for any Doom fan.
Just finished Ultimate Doom via GZDoom, damn this game gets crazy when you are in hell.
But the writing is funny lol.
How is the PS1 port by the way? Worth playing?
It is a cool very different experience but since you are using the PC to play the game, I recommend downloading PSX mod which changes everything into how PSX Doom was (aside from levels being less simplistic).

Here is the mod:

Nov 8, 2017
I only bought a Doom 64 cartridges about 3 weeks ago lol. Only played the first two missions!

I'll have to hook my N64 up to the internet so I can log in to my Bethesda account and continue playing it :(

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
It was made by midway but overseen by ID and it is excellent. It continues the PSX Doom atmosphere and thus is more horror focused (yet still fast like the past Doom games). It has some new enemies, a very different artstyle and has new weapons like the unmaker which is a badass weapon and has a new final boss instead of Icon of Sin or the Spider Mastermind.

Well worth a playthrough for any Doom fan.

It is a cool very different experience but since you are using the PC to play the game, I recommend downloading PSX mod which changes everything into how PSX Doom was (aside from levels being less simplistic).

Here is the mod:
Ah nice, is it called DOOM TC on PC?
I should try Doom 64 as well probably, never played it.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Also, random moment; that long corridor shot in Hell when a Baron comes skulking through a door, the Hell light casting his shadow down the hall. So epic. So creepy.

Yesss. YES.

All of the Hell levels are beautiful and moody. And so much of the texture work and color palette perfectly recalls the original Doom games.

My hope for Eternal is that they bring some of this back.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Also Doom > Doom 2. Pretty much the only stricly better thing 2 has over 1 is the super shotgun but that throws the balance out of whack, and a few more enemies. Some of which are just annoying. Doom 2 is all over the place level design wise, some is great and some is utter gash.
You can always tell when you're playing a Romero level in Doom 2 because it's so much better than the rest.
I wish these had the classic cheats just to relive my childhood.
Yeah, lack of cheats is one of the biggest omissions in the various ports, especially when IDKFA is perhaps second only to the Konami Code when it comes to popular recognition.