• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL not that I've heard

In fact... didn't I hear this is only going to physical media on DVD and not even 1080p blu ray?

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Idunno if I would go that far. I really liked the first season a lot but the bar of quality swung so far in both directions it was jarring sometimes going from one ep to the next. Some of them were really well written even by Trek standards and then some of them they were being chased around the spaceship by a spooky clown.

The weakest episodes of the first season were generally the ones not written by MacFarlane himself. This is hopefully something that will improve with the second season as other writers now have a better idea of the series' tone; since those eps also tended to be the ones that had out of place comedy etc (The main exception being Brannon Braga's episode, though that was of course because he basically just wrote a Star Trek episode).

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that The Orville/Seth must get a million Star Trek questions... but Seth must always answer very diplomatically in the sense to not keep mentioning Star Trek so specifically because they could get sued or whatever... same answers he gave last year, to this year to Star Trek questions

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, after having no interest in the show when it was announced because MacFarlane is attached to it, ended up giving it a shot after that s2 trailer.

Only 1.5 eps in, but it has some charm. I guess I'm in.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked his answer on what he is trying to do different than what Star Trek has done, and exploring the down time or 'quieter' moments on a star ship was exactly what I felt Orville seemed to be going for in a few episodes last year. And I know one of the most popular episodes of TNG is Lower Decks.

Ok, after having no interest in the show when it was announced because MacFarlane is attached to it, ended up giving it a shot after that s2 trailer.

Only 1.5 eps in, but it has some charm. I guess I'm in.

It gets much better, the first three episodes were the weakest

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the fan's question about by having the Orville crew watch Seinfeld, and the fact seinfeld has referenced Star Trek a few times.... that means Star Trek exists in The Orville and thus were... "inspired" or "copying" them

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

More Orville at Comic-Con interview I guess with Fox or something, and is longer than the panel clip from earlier

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they'd just release the soundtrack already. So much great music was written for the first season.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I finally watched the first episode of this yesterday as the first ep was free on Amazon Video.

I enjoyed it overall, but I'm really not sure about the ex-wife character. I saw that coming before she turned up and I really didn't like her even with the way the end of the episode tried to bring about some sympathy for her. I guess maybe the fact I've been burned by a cheat before colours my opinion, but I hated it when she tried to turn around the breakup of the marriage on Ed when it was 100% her fault. I'm also worried about them playing up a romance between Mercer and Grayson getting back together, but again that's down to my own experiences and views of "Once a cheat always a cheat"

Does she get better as the season goes on? Do they at least not have the marriage thing constantly brought up? Her character is the one thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on buying the rest of the season given that it's only £14.99.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
There is a story line later in the series that will explain the cheating. I wont spoil it.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
There is a story line later in the series that will explain the cheating. I wont spoil it.
Hmmm, in that case I guess I'll give it a try.

I just hated that practically the first thing she did after getting on the ship was try to blame Ed by saying he was always busy and never talked to her. I mean fuck off lady, at least have the guts to end the relationship before jumping into bed with someone else.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was worried they'd do a will they/won't they on them getting back together, but the show really doesn't do this and the relationship history is addressed and handled well leaving all characters likable.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't comment without spoiling... just enjoy the TNG nostalgia fest, and some genuinely funny moments

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite shows on TV, and never was really able to click with Star Trek. Tried watching a few TNG episodes after The Orville season ended, and couldn't really hold my attention.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I hated that. Felt like a cop-out/deus ex machina kind of thing.

Also:

You can't claim it was the pheromones without making it a rape. But he gets let off the hook as well. Someone is responsible for what went down: "we're not sure who" doesn't mean I, as the viewer, am okay with both characters now.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I was worried they'd do a will they/won't they on them getting back together, but the show really doesn't do this and the relationship history is addressed and handled well leaving all characters likable.
Thank God. I hate will they/won't they at the best of times, but in this it would've been a thousand times worse.

Think I'll go for buying season 1 digitally since there doesn't seem to be a Bluray release coming to the UK and not even DVD until October for some weird reason.
Plus buying it in digital HD is actually £5 cheaper than even DVD.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not so much a problem with Orville itself, but maybe people at Disney hate Seth Macfarlane in general... and this show is still pretty niche in comparison to his other projects... aka the animated shows.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
This still isn't available anywhere for streaming in the EU? :(
You can get the entire season in Digital HD on Amazon video for £12.49
Buy the free first episode first and it lowers the price from £14.99 to £12.49 for the rest of the season.
Plus you get to try the first episode for free.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Doing a rewatch, and I'd already forgotten no-eyebrow Alara in the first episode lol.

8dcjm6G.png
qzxyFWh.png

From the wiki:
Actress Halston Sage (Alara Kitan) shaved her eyebrows for the role, and in this episode appears with a prominent forehead and no eyebrows. Her look went over poorly with the production staff, and in subsequent episodes she wore false eyebrows "to give her a sense of humanity."

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Watched episode 9 earlier today

So it seems that Kelly might have been under the influence of an alien pheromone and so wasn't in control of herself when she had the affair. That doesn't forgive her for trying to turn it around on Ed and blame him at every given opportunity though.
Also, how in the hell did nobody seem to know about that race creating that pheromone every year if the species seemed to be part of the Union? I mean surely someone around them and involved with the divorce could/should have pointed it out. Then again I'm probably just applying too much seriousness to the show.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched episode 9 earlier today

So it seems that Kelly might have been under the influence of an alien pheromone and so wasn't in control of herself when she had the affair. That doesn't forgive her for trying to turn it around on Ed and blame him at every given opportunity though.
Also, how in the hell did nobody seem to know about that race creating that pheromone every year if the species seemed to be part of the Union? I mean surely someone around them and involved with the divorce could/should have pointed it out. Then again I'm probably just applying too much seriousness to the show.
Plus...the implied
or maybe not so implied rape
, that was a weird episode

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Plus...the implied
or maybe not so implied rape
, that was a weird episode
And the fact that
it was only 'maybe' that he was in heat at the time of the affair, leaving open the implication that he wasn't at the same time

Yeah it's weird. I mean he points out that
their feelings, whilst chemically induced, are still real feelings of love
, so it's kind of a very blurry line.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will laugh so hard if The Orville ends up being more Trek than Discovery and the new Picard series... I have a very cynical view about the team involved outside of Patrick's involvement

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
holy shit this show is amazing

it's so much classic trek that it hurts that discovery is called star trek and not this show. what a shitshow discovery was (besides of Isaac)

on episode 7 right now and that 21st century society story makes my blood boil. It's a lot like the black mirror episode with dallace-howard but I like it

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit this show is amazing

it's so much classic trek that it hurts that discovery is called star trek and not this show. what a shitshow discovery was (besides of Isaac)

on episode 7 right now and that 21st century society story makes my blood boil. It's a lot like the black mirror episode with dallace-howard but I like it

Both me and my friend who are both star trek fans went from being excited for Discovery, to hating it and falling in love with The Orville instead. I hope Discovery S2 will feel at least somewhat like a Star Trek show

Oct 25, 2017
She was filming something for Netflix so yeah she'll have a reduced role in season 2, there was rumors she was leaving the show but nothing has been confirmed one way or the other.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I have reasons to believe that Halston's role on the show is diminished this year. You may "see" her in the background or occasional reaction shots, after a major ep or 2 centering around her in the beginning.
She was filming something for Netflix so yeah she'll have a reduced role in season 2, there was rumors she was leaving the show but nothing has been confirmed one way or the other.
Yeah, she was filming the movie, The Last Summer, for Netflix. She's still gonna be in, just more limited. I think the rumors with her and Seth are just that... for now at least.

Oct 26, 2017
And the fact that
it was only 'maybe' that he was in heat at the time of the affair, leaving open the implication that he wasn't at the same time

Yeah it's weird. I mean he points out that
their feelings, whilst chemically induced, are still real feelings of love
, so it's kind of a very blurry line.
"They're real feelings just chemically induced!"

"Love" is inherently neurochemical in nature. It isn't blurry at all. They drugged people up against their wishes in that episode and overlooked it 'cause "aw, ain't that nice" sentiments.