• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, is that Silik's (from Enterprise) actor as the Krill negotiator??

Edit: I see some of the trailer previews heard it too, but no confirmation yet.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So I noticed a Kermit the Frog doll in that opening shot with the Admiral. Does the Jim Henson company do work on this show?

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Really? I swear all the old 1 hr shows I watch on Netflix have running times between 45-50. Or is that 42min a more recent thing?

Yeah, it's more recent (like within the last 20 years). They're really packing the commercials in these days. Old shows like Star Trek ran for 49ish minutes. TNG was slightly under 46 and Enterprise shrunk down to slightly under 43.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's more recent (like within the last 20 years). They're really packing the commercials in these days. Old shows like Star Trek ran for 49ish minutes. TNG was slightly under 46 and Enterprise shrunk down to slightly under 43.
Yeah it was TNG and Xfiles I was watching recently. Ty.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta admit I have trouble taking some of the side characters seriously after how long most of them were played as jokes. Makes some of these more dramatic moments fall a little flat.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
This was disappointing, going back to the Trek well, cribbing from both TNG's "The Wounded" and Voyager's "Fair Trade." It lacks the depth of either. The episode seems to want us to care about Gordon and Orin's friendship but there's just nothing there and the latter ends up being a one-note cliche character anyway. Unfortunately, without that core working, it's hard to care about basically anything happening in the episode.

I do appreciate that Gordon is treated seriously for once and a couple of the jokes made me laugh but this feels like a major wasted opportunity given the potential story lines in play leading up to the Union/Krill peace signing.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
For a race of emotionless robots, they sure feel a lot of hate to fleshy beings. In other words, the claims to being emotionless and logical is mostly a lie that they tell themselves. The emotions are there, just repressed.

Edit: I've just released there's precedent in universe. Bortus people are lying to themselves about females, the Krill are lying to themselves about being specially chosen by their God. Huh.

I agree with both parts of this.

xania

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but feel making the guy a terrorist was kind of a cop out. Grappling with the choice of the peace treaty with murderous fanatics or a single innocent person is an interesting moral quandary. Him turning out to be guilty and dying at the end saves anyone from having to make a hard choice.

I still liked the episode, and I suppose the show typically has a gentler tone even when dealing with heavy topics, but I still feel like there was a bit of lost potential here.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but feel making the guy a terrorist was kind of a cop out. Grappling with the choice of the peace treaty with murderous fanatics or a single innocent person is an interesting moral quandary. Him turning out to be guilty and dying at the end saves anyone from having to make a hard choice.

I still liked the episode, and I suppose the show typically has a gentler tone even when dealing with heavy topics, but I still feel like there was a bit of lost potential here.
Of course, then it would have just been a Thomas Riker situation (who just faded into obscurity in a Cardassian prison camp lol), which is its own cliche.
I think it depends on what they wanted to do - I think it works better this way as a character piece for Gordon, but I do agree that the grayer ending would work better as a character piece for the Captain.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so, you're just going to breeze past Isaac without even a mention? Like "We already have one person on the ship we have trust issues with currently."? No nothing?

Cool episode, not amazing. Points deducted purely because it didn't have Malloy with a mohawk in the picture at the end of the episode.

Edit: Dann is the best

Last edited:

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That was a middling episode, but only in the context of the rest of the series. Still enjoyable, and it stayed interesting and tense until dude was confirmed to be an irredeemable terrorist. After that it kind of retroactively cancelled out all the tension that came before, which was a shame.

I didn't mind them ignoring Isaac. He has had plenty of screen time and spotlight this season. It was nice to see him take an extreme back seat.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
That was a middling episode, but only in the context of the rest of the series. Still enjoyable, and it stayed interesting and tense until dude was confirmed to be an irredeemable terrorist. After that it kind of retroactively cancelled out all the tension that came before, which was a shame.

I didn't mind them ignoring Isaac. He has had plenty of screen time and spotlight this season. It was nice to see him take an extreme back seat.

I was perfect with Isaac basically just having one line, if that, I didn't really care if he was even in the episode. Just thought it was a missed opportunity to not have some throw away line mentioning his status or level of trust on the ship at this point.

I want a Dann episode.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Just watched the most recent ep. I love this damn show. The look Orin gives just before the door closes and the bomb detonates. Good stuff. I love how they balance humor and drama. I love these characters. LOVE The new security chief. I sound like a broken record, but I'm mentally preparing myself for this show to be cancelled.

Also, with all of the complaints about the show cribbing old Trek, I'm thinking, so what? Voyager was bad Trek and that was cribbing old Trek, too. This show has its heart in the right place and most of the people watching this have probably never seen old trek anyway. As long as the themes and the message comes through at the end of the episode, does it really matter?

And yes, I guess one could argue that you could just watch old trek on Netflix, but damn....it's nice to have something new. Even if it is repackaged. Damn fine show.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I finally caught up! Wow wow wow, I loved the two-parter. Now that's some just great TNG, if you ask me! In fact, I love this show in general. It really cicks for me. Interestingly enough, a few weeks ago, I started a re-watch of TNG on Netflix, and it's kind of interesting watching both of these shows at the same time.

The last episode wasn't as great as the two-parter, but I still enjoyed it. I'm glad to see that the story is continuing with the Krill.

At this point, the only thing I wish they would do might not match the pacing of the show. I wish they would have a few more conversations where we get some exposition about the universe. For example, I guess this had been mentioned earlier in the show, but I had no idea that we'd been at war with the Krill so long that someone could have been a POW for 20 years. I want to know more about the Union and their history. That kind of thing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yet another good episode. I liked how it followed up from last week rather than being a standalone episode.

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Just caught the most recent ep.

Glad Gordon got some serious moments.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having real trouble believing that the Krill would be so quick to go from fanatical crusaders to being willing to even consider the idea of signing a peace treaty with other species, let alone actually do it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having real trouble believing that the Krill would be so quick to go from fanatical crusaders to being willing to even consider the idea of signing a peace treaty with other species, let alone actually do it.

They sort of explained it as them going along with the peace treaty because they're fanatics. They think Avis brought them together for a reason against the Kaylon. Basically, they're going with peace because they think their god is ordering it.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm finally all caught up! Season 2 has definitely been an improvement over season 1. Also, I was originally bummed about Alara being written off the show, but Talla is a significant improvement and has become one of my favorite characters.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Not a great episode, but after the two-parter I'm fine with them phoning one in. That said, two pieces of fridge logic stuck out to me:

First, if there's a species of alien whose blood is volatile enough to destroy capital ships, why haven't the Union weaponized the bajeezus out of it already? It seems as though a torpedo containing the stuff was way more powerful than a normal Krill torpedo, right?

Second, there's still some real work to do convincing the Krill that Orin blew up. Especially if Ms. Explodey-Blood detonated as well. "Sorry Krill buddies, we can't turn over the prisoners, they both exploded. We promise." Arguably the Orville would have sensor logs that could back them up, but by the same token the Krill should have had logs showing that Orin had escaped two decades ago, the debris fields from the destroyed ships, etc.

Just sayin', if they'd determined Orin was innocent, they could've spun this kind of a lie to keep him safe while still appeasing the Krill.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It felt like one of those forgettable episodes from TNG to me. Not bad, not great. I did like the twist involving the alien though.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not a great episode, but after the two-parter I'm fine with them phoning one in. That said, two pieces of fridge logic stuck out to me:

First, if there's a species of alien whose blood is volatile enough to destroy capital ships, why haven't the Union weaponized the bajeezus out of it already? It seems as though a torpedo containing the stuff was way more powerful than a normal Krill torpedo, right?

Second, there's still some real work to do convincing the Krill that Orin blew up. Especially if Ms. Explodey-Blood detonated as well. "Sorry Krill buddies, we can't turn over the prisoners, they both exploded. We promise." Arguably the Orville would have sensor logs that could back them up, but by the same token the Krill should have had logs showing that Orin had escaped two decades ago, the debris fields from the destroyed ships, etc.

Just sayin', if they'd determined Orin was innocent, they could've spun this kind of a lie to keep him safe while still appeasing the Krill.

Could be wrong, I'll admit I was semi watching it this week , but I thought that the Orville and the Krill ship were in contact throughout? I figure if the Orville had confirmed the kill so had the Krill since they are already on their way to rendezvous anyway.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they explain that this is not the actual peace treaty but just the first step towards one?

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
The signing is not a peace treaty more of a first step getting there

Not bad episode.

Malloy is rock solid for Ed. 😋

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
As this started up, I said to my wife that it would be nice if we saw something ore serious about Gordon. I had no idea!

Really good run of three episodes. Orville-logic dictates that there are no consequences for Isaac of course, which is silly-- but this has been a thing since the show started. Ed ought to have been court-martialed a couple of times and also seriously investigated over having a relationship with a Krill, even unknowingly.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I assume we're gonna have at least one episode (or at least one B-plot) about Claire's current relationship (or lack thereof) with Isaac. I can't imagine her wanting to get back together with him, but they still live on the same ship so it must be awkward as fuck for her now. And more importantly, how are her kids taking all of this?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I assume we're gonna have at least one episode (or at least one B-plot) about Claire's current relationship (or lack thereof) with Isaac. I can't imagine her wanting to get back together with him, but they still live on the same ship so it must be awkward as fuck for her now. And more importantly, how are her kids taking all of this?

Isaac should be sleeping around with any willing alien. Enjoy that single life.

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Reminder that there's no new episode tonight. Next episode is on the 21st.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that there's no new episode tonight. Next episode is on the 21st.

avbz9vgcg6f21.gif

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
New episode tonight.

"Lasting Impressions"
The crew opens a time capsule from 2015.