• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
this show thinks it's way more progressive than it is. Why are the Moclons the only queer characters on the show? Back to back episodes of taboo relationships but both times heterosexual-coded really drives the feeling home for me. Nobody else on the ship is bi or gay? In the far future there aren't any non-binary characters? Nobody's part robot? Have they ever expressed a reason for the stark lack of transhumanism? It feels like what would have been considered progressive a couple decades ago.

If I didn't know better and someone described a show as having an episode where (spoilers) "one of the characters comes out as straight" then I'd think they're having a laugh, or it's some alt right garbage.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
this show thinks it's way more progressive than it is. Why are the Moclons the only queer characters on the show? Back to back episodes of taboo relationships but both times heterosexual-coded really drives the feeling home for me. Nobody else on the ship is bi or gay? In the far future there aren't any non-binary characters? Nobody's part robot? Have they ever expressed a reason for the stark lack of transhumanism? It feels like what would have been considered progressive a couple decades ago.

If I didn't know better and someone described a show as having an episode where (spoilers) "one of the characters comes out as straight" then I'd think they're having a laugh, or it's some alt right garbage.

It's probably just a consequence of the hyper focus on the main characters. Like there hasn't been any real focus on the side characters outside one or two and they're mostly for laughs rather than to be seriously taken.

As for why they didn't make one of them non-hetrosexual I cannot say as I'm not a writer on the show.

But I do feel like trying to equate the show to alt-right is... really far off base.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
It's probably just a consequence of the hyper focus on the main characters. Like there hasn't been any real focus on the side characters outside one or two and they're mostly for laughs rather than to be seriously taken.

As for why they didn't make one of them non-hetrosexual I cannot say as I'm not a writer on the show.

But I do feel like trying to equate the show to alt-right is... really far off base.
That's why I said if I didn't know better.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the show isnt exactly pandering to the alt-right but its definitely presenting a vision of the future that is very Intro to Progressivism 101. I guess they know their audience. Some of that can feel a bit backward i suppose if youre expecting an actual modern Trek

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just watched the episode. It is really weird that so many of these season two episodes have focused on Bortus.

I liked it though.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Interesting episode. Heterophobia.
A species that works with and interacts with many other species that are obviously heterosexual end up being extremely close-minded about the subject. They don't have a problem when others do it, but it's a criminal act and suicide worthy when they do?

Then I think about how batshit crazy and homophobic some humans are. Bigotry is hard to understand.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Captain shagged a male alien last season.

They have the tech to regrow legs etc so less need for robot parts?

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Apparently the reason this episode was delayed a week was because the VFX team needed more time, but that bit with that plant was so pointless lol. I liked everything else, though.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I want The Orville to follow up on the Union's political relationship with the Moclans. While I know the Union relies on the Moclan defence industry's expertise due to the Krill threat, them being basically space mirror-Saudi Arabia would cause a lot of tension in the Union. Unless the Union are way more like the USA or UN than the Federation.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Seriously, feels like we know more about the Moclans than even the Union.

Also I really thought Ed being a screw up was going to be a bigger focus in the show but I guess they dropped that after the first episode.
Maybe I read too much into this and made it into my head cannon, but I got the impression that he became a screw up because of the divorce. That started his decline. He had slowly been putting himself back together, and the chance to captain his own ship was his stated lifelong dream. He was given what he always wanted since he was a kid, and it re-focused him and got him back on task. That's also a reason why finding out that Kelley put in a good word for him was such a hit. He had embraced the fact that he had achieved his dream, himself.

It's also been stated that he was so focused on his career when he was with Kelley that it initially caused the problems in their relationship, so maybe he was a dedicated officer back then, too. I dunno, that all makes sense to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I read too much into this and made it into my head cannon, but I got the impression that he became a screw up because of the divorce. That started his decline. He had slowly been putting himself back together, and the chance to captain his own ship was his stated lifelong dream. He was given what he always wanted since he was a kid, and it re-focused him and got him back on task. That's also a reason why finding out that Kelley put in a good word for him was such a hit. He had embraced the fact that he had achieved his dream, himself.

It's also been stated that he was so focused on his career when he was with Kelley that it initially caused the problems in their relationship, so maybe he was a dedicated officer back then, too. I dunno, that all makes sense to me.
I mean that makes sense and I kinda forgot that the divorce is what led to his life being a mess

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I mean that makes sense and I kinda forgot that the divorce is what led to his life being a mess
For sure. From the S1E1 opening, "You would have been offered command earlier, but you haven't inspired that much confidence this past year." And, "Ed, you were at the top of your class. Your teachers thought you'd be in command of your own cruiser by the time you were 40. But this past year, the tardiness..."

He also tells Ed that this assignment is his last chance. So really he had a lot of reasons to get his act together.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
did that crew member just open a drawer to look for Locar? 😂

I was expecting a typical relationship episode didn't see that MURDER part.

Talla putting to work already. Character gets to shine.
Bortus continues to be my favorite character

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
How can the Union justify keeping the Mocclan around? And wow Klyden is a real pos. Also good on them for tackling thorny issues and having not happy endings.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So this episode has been pretty cool. Seeing Isaac's homeworld was a nice change of pace and of course it already feels very sinister. I do wish some of the sets were a bit more... fantastic looking as the CG descent onto the planet. Looks like they're walking into the lobby of some random office building.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for a great score for this one as it sounds actiony. Not a lot of chances for the music to stand out in recent eps.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The CG was amazing for the planet descent and the ending. Fantastic work.

The tension build with the reveal into the battle and then the ending was really good. Them bringing out and putting away their weapons was totally creepy, felt like a Star Trek + Doctor Who sequence, it was great.

Last edited:

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Hoping for a great score for this one as it sounds actiony. Not a lot of chances for the music to stand out in recent eps.

Honestly, this has been the thing that makes me most excited about the show. I like almost everything about Orville, but I love the music. I was listening to the soundtrack in the office today, and the versatility is really nice. I do wonder if it is usual though for a show to have 3 composers?

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this has been the thing that makes me most excited about the show. I like almost everything about Orville, but I love the music. I was listening to the soundtrack in the office today, and the versatility is really nice. I do wonder if it is usual though for a show to have 3 composers?

In the olden days, it was common. Definitely unusual for contemporary television (as is the use of an orchestra in general). Seth also gives the composers a very generous time to write the scores, about three weeks each. Most shows these days are credited to one composer but that composer tends to have a lot of people on his team who help write the music.

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Really interested to see where they take Isaac's character after this.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Mannnnnn this episode though
that cliffhanger, that music, that sounds soooooo TNG like season 3+ lol

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
That was terrific, easily the best episode of the show so far.

I'll even forgive them the tired "kid does stupid things to move the plot along" trope because it led somewhere so exciting. Terrific visuals and music too. The shot of the mass grave on the viewscreen was truly chilling thanks to the way it was shot and especially scored. Not sure where they'll take Isaac after this. Hope they really land the conclusion.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Holy shit, that episode!
That reveal of the skulls was done so well. It was very creepy. And the music was such a good touch.

Also, the robots pulling those guns out was very Doctor Who. Creepy stuff there, too.
I can't wait to see where this goes!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great episode.

Minor nitpick, but in S1 didn't Isaac say those lights are not eyes, he uses sensors to detect what is around him and he just put the lights there for crew benefit? Why all his people got eye lights?

Edit: Potato head scene. Purely aesthetic.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Great episode.

Minor nitpick, but in S1 didn't Isaac say those lights are not eyes, he uses sensors to detect what is around him and he just put the lights there for crew benefit? Why all his people got eye lights?

Edit: Potato head scene. Purely aesthetic.

If it helps they don't match up to where the two inside lights are.

Really great episode, I almost thought it was another claire/Isaacs eps and I was about to tune out before shit got serious, terrific ending, cliffhanger and score like others have said, can't wait for next week. Hopefully the season stays this good as the earlier episodes were losing me

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Very cool episode. But giving red lights to every other robot was not at all foreshadowing. Not at all. Nobody would have seen the twist coming a mile away with that.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Very cool episode. But giving red lights to every other robot was not at all foreshadowing. Not at all. Nobody would have seen the twist coming a mile away with that.

That might be part of it but I think it was likely more to tell Isaac apart from the rest.