• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really really like this show. Some episodes are better than others but really space shows have not been this good since TNG.

I like the crew, the humor, and everything else. I hope it gets to keep going.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
While watching. I was asking varied alien races. Good thing they showed that Union. Even the slimes were there

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It was solid stuff. I definitely wouldn't mind a break from the Moclan for a while but can't deny the show tends to do its best work when centered around them. Hell, they even managed to win me over with Dolly Parton. The only thing that really irritates me at this point is that they still haven't addressed Isaac. I get that it isn't a strictly serialized show but after the events of "Identity", there should be a lot more interpersonal conflict than we've seen.

And yeah, time to divorce Klyden, Bortus. I'm astonished they're still together at this point.

They need another few minutes per episode every episode to flesh out their conclusions more. But I love me some more TNG and enjoy every minute

This episode was oddly two minutes shorter than the rest this season.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They need another few minutes per episode every episode to flesh out their conclusions more. But I love me some more TNG and enjoy every minute

I just had to laugh at the fact that the Moclans are hellbent about not accepting the female colony but Seth interjects with a dumb jokey retort and then that's all it takes. Gimme a break.

xania

Oct 27, 2017
Now that Bortus called him out on it, I kind of want to go back and see if the writers had actually worked his biases into his interactions with women on the ship in previous episodes. I never really paid attention to it.

I don't know about his interactions with women, but I was just thinking last ep, during the cigarettes plot, that it was weird how so many of his scenes were in their room, and how isolated he seemed from the rest of the crew. So I guess that at least was intentional.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Really like the episode and Bortus may be my favorite character, but kind of want to take a small break from the Moclan.

Weird thought that occurred to me during this episode, I wonder if the episode delays are possibly linked to the CGI? It seems they are pretty much filming the show pretty close to current with it airing and with lower budget for CGI I wonder if it just takes longer and causes occasional delays?

I don't know about his interactions with women, but I was just thinking last ep, during the cigarettes plot, that it was weird how so many of his scenes were in their room, and how isolated he seemed from the rest of the crew. So I guess that at least was intentional.

I actually think they brought it up early in the first season that Clyden wasn't happy about being on the ship or Bortus's placement on the ship. Or at least it was brought up of him being uncomfortable or something along those lines.

As someone who has binged the show in the last couple months this seemed perfectly in character. I mean he just recently was easily believed to have shot a Moclan for just liking a girl.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Hoooooold up. I'm listening to the Orvilleland podcast and they're talking about the show opening up with a golf scene?

I'm watching on Hulu and there is definitely no golf scene? It starts with Kelley and Ed getting their new mission of transporting the Maclons? Why is there no golf scene on Hulu?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hoooooold up. I'm listening to the Orvilleland podcast and they're talking about the show opening up with a golf scene?

I'm watching on Hulu and there is definitely no golf scene? It starts with Kelley and Ed getting their new mission of transporting the Maclons? Why is there no golf scene on Hulu?

Huh. I don't recall any golf scene too. Also watched on hulu.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Moclans and Kryll are the only species that had any serious thought put into them. We barely know anything about humanity outside of the crew of The Orville aside from some random tidbits here or there.

Kylarean

Oct 25, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA

I watched it through DVR and don't remember anything golf related (DVR starts 1 minute early, too). Just recovered the episode and watched again and it starts where it does for you.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it through DVR and don't remember anything golf related (DVR starts 1 minute early, too). Just recovered the episode and watched again and it starts where it does for you.

Weird, apparently wherever the hosts are from they got a different intro scene. I guess they got a scene where Lamar, Isaac, and Gordan are golfing and then Clyden/Bortus drive up and are golfing too. I think they in some way talked about their kid during the scene? Not sure.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
If that scene got cut at the last minute, it would definitely explain why the episode is shorter than usual.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe that scene had legal issues that they only found out at the last minute.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Reading a review elsewhere that points out that Moclan is Saudi Arabia and the Union is US/The West. It totally clicked for me now.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just had to laugh at the fact that the Moclans are hellbent about not accepting the female colony but Seth interjects with a dumb jokey retort and then that's all it takes. Gimme a break.
He plays their ego and hatred of female Moclans against themselves. Stay in the Union or the 'inferior' females will be all that is left. They can't stand for that, or even the possibility of it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
He plays their ego and hatred of female Moclans against themselves. Stay in the Union or the 'inferior' females will be all that is left. They can't stand for that, or even the possibility of it.

Eh its still him making what is basically a single retort and then suddenly everyone changes their mind on the spot despite being 100% against it. Its lazy writing that undermines what was a pretty strong episode.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh its still him making what is basically a single retort and then suddenly everyone changes their mind on the spot despite being 100% against it. Its lazy writing that undermines what was a pretty strong episode.
Only if you ignore all the other arguments that the Union made before it. Despite the leaving threat the Moclans would know it was a very bad idea so there would have been a conflict of interest anyway, Ed's comment only needed be enough to edge staying over leaving.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't the Union be giving the weapons to the Moclans?
I assume the analogy is basically the whole allies whose relationship is at best tenuously based on the more morally bankrupt party providing a critical resource (Moclans for weapons, KSA for oil). It's a pity that in the real world, given that KSA provides what is becoming an increasingly insignificant amount of our oil, we don't just kick them to the curb.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love this show so much. It will be the saddest cancelation for me in a long time if this is the last season. This episode for me was pretty fantastic, the scenes with all the admirals in the same room was great.

Dec 7, 2017
Cancellation? Are there rumours about that?

Damn, that would kill me, honestly love this show and it could still grow to be even more...

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Really good episode, man I hope that at the very least if Fox decides not to keep the show around Disney picks it up, it'd probably fit pretty nicely on Disney+

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Klyden and Bortus have such a toxic relationship, I honestly can't understand why they are together. Klyden especially just seems to be an irredeemable asshole.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Klyden is the worst. The thing is he looks like a sweet, gentle character physically and with his mannerisms but he does the most reprehensible shit...and then makes that same hurt puppy face when he's found out.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Fuck a Klyden. Bortus deserves better.

Still loving this show. I really need another season at least.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I've been wanting to watch this show for a while and finally was able to buy both seasons and just binge watched both. Holy crap is it good. Can't wait for the final two episodes. Sanctuary was such a good episode! I love this shows ability to tackle serious issues without becoming boring. Any news on a 3rd season yet? Would love for this adventure to continue.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to watch this show for a while and finally was able to buy both seasons and just binge watched both. Holy crap is it good. Can't wait for the final two episodes. Sanctuary was such a good episode! I love this shows ability to tackle serious issues without becoming boring. Any news on a 3rd season yet? Would love for this adventure to continue.
Ratings are trending downwards pretty bad, sadly Fox will probably cancel it. Our only hope is if Disney sees some value in it and maybe makes it a Disney+ show.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ratings have been falling, I sadly see the chances of it being canceled as higher than it being renewed at this point.

The best chance of it surviving is if Disney moves it to Disney+ because there is just no long term future for it on network tv with the ratings it is currently getting.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Ratings have been falling, I sadly see the chances of it being canceled as higher than it being renewed at this point.

The best chance of it surviving is if Disney moves it to Disney+ because there is just no long term future for it on network tv with the ratings it is currently getting.
Just read some of the thoughts here in this post. Seems a lot of fans are here.

Honestly, I enjoyed the first season, but this second season just isn't doing it for me. Overall, the stories aren't grabbing my attention. And the disconnect of the great CGI for a TV show and the cheap sets and sound make it seem like an over-budget amateur production. I was really hoping the second season would improve on the first, but I feel like there's a lack of focused direction on what they want the show to be. Is it a drama? comedy? a mix? Each episode is all over the place. It's why I haven't watched the last three or four episodes. Not surprised if the ratings are falling. A consistent vision needs to be portrayed to the audience to keep them hooked.

Disney+ isn't a bad idea.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the erratic schedule and seemingly random hiatus's have really hurt the chances of the show finding an audience. It's really frustrating

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read on a ratings site that it apparently does really well on streaming catch up. It the live viewing numbers that not so hot.

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I guess we'll see what time shenanigans happen in the finale next week.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Just read some of the thoughts here in this post. Seems a lot of fans are here.

Honestly, I enjoyed the first season, but this second season just isn't doing it for me. Overall, the stories aren't grabbing my attention. And the disconnect of the great CGI for a TV show and the cheap sets and sound make it seem like an over-budget amateur production. I was really hoping the second season would improve on the first, but I feel like there's a lack of focused direction on what they want the show to be. Is it a drama? comedy? a mix? Each episode is all over the place. It's why I haven't watched the last three or four episodes. Not surprised if the ratings are falling. A consistent vision needs to be portrayed to the audience to keep them hooked.

Disney+ isn't a bad idea.

The second half of the season has been dramatically better than the first. You should catch up. I've been pleasantly surprised.