• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
This is another case where they took a TNG premise, added a slight twist, and made it at least interesting. Whether it will have any actual affect on the story remains to be seen I suppose, but I'm assuming it allows "future" Kelly to take a chance on Ed since she won't have the same hang ups. Or maybe it'll never be brought up again. lol

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the open ended ending means anything for next week, I like that it didn't involve Bortus at least. Also I hate that they've basically accepted Issac like nothing ever happened, other than the brief mentions of what happened it's almost like he didn't betray and almost kill all of them. Anyways good episode and Kelly really did look a lot younger lol, tv magic I guess. Hopefully we get a season 3.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having difficulty getting past the utter grossness of Ed's behavior in this episode. The scene where he delivers a "get back with me or ya know, I'll just date your seven year younger self" ultimatum was appalling. I keep hoping we're past all this Ed/Kelly baggage but the writers keep bringing it back. Still, I enjoyed a lot of the smaller scenes, even if large chunks of the plot (and emotional beats) seemed taken straight from TNG's "Second Chances."

I'm guessing the finale's gonna be a humdinger, based on the ending of this episode and how they showed basically no new footage for next week's promo.

(Palicki really shines in this episode. Really makes MacFarlane's weaker acting abilities stand out.)

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Yofit, Klydan and Bortus dancing was great. But boy was that scene otherwise pretty generic.

Pretty good episode though. Kelley's still the least interesting character on the show though.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that at first too, but it seems like they're just showing all the crazy things that have happened this season leading into a big finale.

Yeah, I was looking at that and I'm not sure much of the stuff in the preview is new, if anything. Seemed like a "This whole season was crazy, find out next week where it all wraps up!"

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Really loved the penultimate episode. Big fan of time travel and I loved how they used it to develop the Ed and Kelly relationship. Fun episode.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
So...New time line or has the current one changed?
No idea, but my gut reaction would either be new timeline or Present Kelly has both timelines. Personally don't see them changing the status quo too much which is what will happen if they adopt the new timeline because who knows what will happen without that relationship with Ed. So much of the current show owes itself to that relationship. Hell, Ed only has the Orville because of Kelly.

Could be wrong. Changing up the status quo might be an interesting way to end the season.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
If it's an alternate timeline, I wonder how that timeline progresses with the Kaylon's. Does Ed become a Captain sooner, without having the down period after the divorce, with an entirely different crew so the same crew doesn't end up with Isaac to eventually save them?

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
That was fun seeing young Kelly talk to other crew members, and Older Kelly telling her not to divulge.
Younger Kelly telling Older Kelly off was a good moment.

Great twist at the end.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Just watched. Very interesting episode. It'll be interesting to see how that changes the timeline for sure, especially with things. So, we know Kelly got Mercer the job on the Orville but, the pilot episode also established that he would have had his own ship already if he hadn't been such a huge wreck following the divorce. He was obviously a gifted individual and a really hard worker.

So, they could go the route and just have Mercer just end up getting the Orville anyway, and not have to change a ton with the cast. He would still want to bring Grimes along, for example. Kelly would be the huge variable, most likely. Who knows what her life would have been like.

And for that matter, Ed could have met someone else and gotten married. Of course, the more typical thing a show like this would do is have them both single without the baggage of their marriage and divorce. (To change things up for a hopeful third season.) Or else this would be a butterfly effect thing where everything is terrible, so they have to fix the timeline.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the 2nd half of this season and hope it gets picked up for another season. It's not amazing TV, but I'm consistantly entertained.

whooter

Oct 27, 2017
I read a one-line synopsis that seems to indicate that, as well.

I'd post it, but I can't seem to get the Spoiler tag working.... hmmm

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I read a one-line synopsis that seems to indicate that, as well.

I'd post it, but I can't seem to get the Spoiler tag working.... hmmm
Title and description:

"The Road Not Taken"

The crew must contend with the disastrous fallout from Kelly's decision.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This episode started off interesting, but quickly devolved into a pretty lame relationship what-if. And I was also put off by Ed's ultimatum, which was gross.

I was thinking there was a ton of wasted potential, but it sounds like the next episode is going to dive into that.

I wonder if they'll touch on the idea that the Orville was supposed to be destroyed in S1, and only was saved due to a time traveler from the far future.

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
So, uh, I was really enjoying the first half (Alara!), and then kind of spaced out the rest of the episode.

Seemed like they played that super predictably... hopefully that wasn't the series finale right there lol.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Well that's annoying... I started watching it on Fox's site and after like the second or third set of commercals I got an "error" and it stopped, I refreshed and it started back from the beginning with now way to go back to where I was. So I left back to the show's main page and the episode disappeared.🙄

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Predictable is definitely the right word for it. And kinda boring. The Star Trek episode it reminded me the most of was Voyager's "Timeless" but without that episode's slick direction and strong focus on characterization. It got the job done but without taking any risks, which would have been more than appropriate for a finale.

Hopefully the show gets renewed as overall, I'd say the second season was an improvement over the first (although still with plenty of issues).

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the idea, but it's like characterization and good dialogues got lost in the budget for cgi action scenes.
Bummer for a season finale, for I really hope the show will get renewed.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Man, a lot of wasted potential.

I took Alara's comments as meta commentary or her relationship with Seth. Completely made that up, but it made it more fun.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I thought it was a great episode, but the first part was definitely more interesting. This was fun though.

Really, really, really hope we get a 3rd season.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
It was also kind of like that Enterprise episode where Archer gets hit by some anomaly and suffers anterograde amnesia all the way up to the point of witnessing the Xindi destroying Earth and having to find a way to undo what happened in the past, complete with the titular starship being destroyed at the climax.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not done with the finale, but I'm kind of bummed at how they've basically turned Lamar into the deus ex machina or exposition character. He basically seems like he's there just to give the random science solution to whatever issue is bothering them.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not done with the finale, but I'm kind of bummed at how they've basically turned Lamar into the deus ex machina or exposition character. He basically seems like he's there just to give the random science solution to whatever issue is bothering them.

Like most of the alien species, a lot of the characters outside of Bortus and a handful of others feel undercooked.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Was surprised by who the rebel lieutenant was. As soon as they said lieutenant my head was going "Please be Dann, please be Dann, please...."

Like most of the alien species, a lot of the characters outside of Bortus and a handful of others feel undercooked.

See, I feel like he at least had a character before. He was goofy and was similar to Gordon in that they were good at what they did but they liked dumb fun. Then they actually gave an explanation for him not wanting the promotion which gave him a little more character and it fit. Since then he's basically just been there to give science reasons.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
This storyline was kinda weak. Perhaps because timeline stories have been done so much before, and done much better.

Overall it's been a pretty good season though. It's an interesting show worthy of at least another season.