• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
...just wanted to clarify: to what extent are OT's reserved back on GAF holding here? i'd reserved Shenmue 3 & planned to work with the community (here & Shenmuedojo, they were a big help in rewriting it & keeping it current), and currently have a poster here (seiki) PM'ing me insisting it's his somehow.

I offered to take his input, let him write a section & of course get fully credited with it, but he doesn't seem to be taking no for an answer. in the interest of resolving this here (and assuming if it doesn't carry over), i'm again claiming :

Shenmue III by IrishNinja (23rd january 2018)
seiki should read the OP. saying no to collabos is a complete no. with this, they essentially forfeit any claim there may have been at one point or another.

in the move over I killed all claims for things with no reasonable date and we have updated guidelines now (see OP). six months out, no sooner for new claims. if they announce a date by E3 you can claim it then. especially given shenmue's nature, there's just no relying on even that 2018 window.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Dandy Crocodile , you made the Trails of Cold Steel 2 OT back in the old place. Do you have plans to do the same for the PC release and/or open to collaboration?
I didn't do the CS1 PC port thread and wasn't planning on tackling the CS2 port but I'm flattered you thought of me and even asked!
I encourage you to make the thread if you'd like and if you need any help feel free to ask me. :)

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
I didn't do the CS1 PC port thread and wasn't planning on tackling the CS2 port but I'm flattered you thought of me and even asked!
I encourage you to make the thread if you'd like and if you need any help feel free to ask me. :)

No problem. I do have some ideas in my mind, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, sort of speak. We still don't know the exact release date yet, but I guess getting an early start couldn't hurt. :-)

Thanks for the help offer. I'm definitely open for collaboration, ping me on Discord if you have some ideas!

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II PC by Kvik (2018-01-24)
2018-02-15

EDIT: Thread posted 2018-02-14

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
No problem. I do have some ideas in my mind, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, sort of speak. We still don't know the exact release date yet, but I guess getting an early start couldn't hurt. :-)

Thanks for the help offer. I'm definitely open for collaboration, ping me on Discord if you have some ideas!

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II PC by Kvik (2018-01-24)
please re-read the OP, I just explained about the guidelines change again a post earlier.
2018 is not "out within six months"

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
please re-read the OP, I just explained about the guidelines change again a post earlier.
2018 is not "out within six months"

Admittedly, although I have read the OP in its entirety, I couldn't find any offical source with a tentative release period. Based on this twitter post, the game is currently in QA, and XSEED normally only announces the exact release date very close to the actual release. Their upcoming release; Zwei, for example, has six weeks between the game announcement, and its actual release. Similarly, Trails of Cold Steel I PC had only two weeks between its release date announcement and actual release date.

I don't feel two weeks is nearly enough time for a collaborative effort I have planned, hence my early claim.

I will defer that I was a bit premature in my claim, therefore I'll leave it to your discretion whether to process my claim or not. Regardless, once the press release of the exact release date is out, I will update my post, or make another claim.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Any chance of a Subnautica OT? The game finally emerged from early access today. Would love to read impressions from those going in for the first time!

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Admittedly, although I have read the OP in its entirety, I couldn't find any offical source with a tentative release period. Based on this twitter post, the game is currently in QA, and XSEED normally only announces the exact release date very close to the actual release. Their upcoming release; Zwei, for example, has six weeks between the game announcement, and its actual release. Similarly, Trails of Cold Steel I PC had only two weeks between its release date announcement and actual release date.

I don't feel two weeks is nearly enough time for a collaborative effort I have planned, hence my early claim.

I will defer that I was a bit premature in my claim, therefore I'll leave it to your discretion whether to process my claim or not. Regardless, once the press release of the exact release date is out, I will update my post, or make another claim.

Alright, I'll take it in this very specific case. Next time, this explanation should be part of the claim or happen before the claim.

Any chance of a Subnautica OT? The game finally emerged from early access today. Would love to read impressions from those going in for the first time!
udoitcgkjr.jpg

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So as far as I can tell Pokemon Crystal is hitting the eshop tomorrow on the 3DS. Is anyone throwing together an OT for that? If someone wanted to do it, it could probably be done quickly by just copy pasting a lot of the info from Nintendo's page. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pokemon-crystal-version-3ds

It could also serve as a catchall for the gen 2 Pokemon VC games, since the release of Gold and Silver predate this forum. Either way, it would be great to have a place to discuss it.

I'd do it but I have zero experience making that kind of thread and no time today to try and figure it out.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I've been thinking about this since the old site days.. why is there no OT for each current-gen console?

Instead, we have separate threads for first-party discussions, sales, the service (PS+ and/or PSN which is quite dead), and rumors. I believe all of those topics can be merged together in a single mega thread instead. This way, we can avoid threads for technical issues or anything about the system that can't be covered in those threads, as people can just ask away in the OT.

We're fine with separate/individual threads at this time. This would be an unneeded change that would a solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but is there any wisdom or utility in creating an OT for teachers? I'm currently a teacher myself and I know it can be useful to have a community of teachers to talk to outside of one's colleagues in building. At the same time I think a lot of teachers are rightly hesitant to discuss their work online and I personally prefer to avoid toxic venting sessions that can happen.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but is there any wisdom or utility in creating an OT for teachers? I'm currently a teacher myself and I know it can be useful to have a community of teachers to talk to outside of one's colleagues in building. At the same time I think a lot of teachers are rightly hesitant to discuss their work online and I personally prefer to avoid toxic venting sessions that can happen.
I don't expect you to get any/many useful answers here since this is not really a discussion thread about what threads to create, people tend to come here to claim new things and then occasionally argue about a thing or ask some how-to questions.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I think a good rule of thumb is that if you think there's a scene, go for it. There's communities for damn near everything.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I like what I'm seeing here. Posting claims using the proper template within the timeframe, linked sources... good stuff. Thumbs way up.

Davevil

Self-requested perma ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please bring to ResetEra the topics of Hidden Gems of the various systems

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the policy for games announced in 2018 but with no exact release date? Does the OT stay unclaimed until the day of release?

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know where else to post this but would it be cool if I make a Project Octopath Traveler Speculation Thread? I'm really hyped for the game as well as others and I'd love a place to discuss it with fellow posters?

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
SweetNicole
TheMoon

Should OTs be limited to 200 pages before an OT2 is required?

The 20k Post Limit
As many of you may already know, it is currently our policy that when a thread reaches 20,000 posts it ought to be locked and a new thread made to replace it. On other forums this represents a technical limitation, but here on ResetEra we do it to avoid OP stagnation and encourage fresh blood. However, we have now decided to make an exception for OTs in Hangouts that already refresh on a weekly or monthly basis.

In short, from now on threads in Hangouts are no longer bound by thread length limits, as long as the community chooses to make a new thread a minimum of once a month.

To be clear, this is an option we are offering to threads that already refresh weekly or monthly. If that does not describe your community, you can ignore this.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-november-2017-newsletter.8040/

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Thread updated.

RTS- Real Time Strategy Community
by Specific Power Ranger (29-10-17)
January 2018​

I'm deleting this claim now, like I have with several other community thread claims that have simply not been posted in November/December. Guys, if you claim a thread and even give a vague month as a date, you make a commitment to actually do this. That part is in the first bit of the OP for a reason. I don't want a bunch of random claims cluttering the list with community threads that you don't actually want to create. Just post them or don't, for community threads, claiming is mostly irrelevant anyway (as explained in the OP).

since this is a movie, next time please add the [ETC] or just copy paste the correct template from the OP when claiming non-game OTs

Oct 28, 2017
I know this isn't really the right place, but I've no idea where else to ask. I saw that there's a 72 hour maximum before release when posting game OTs, but is that when it should actually go out? I'll have my OT for Civ ready to go early tomorrow (just waiting for the final reveal), but should it go out right then or should I wait until about 24 hours before?

To be clear, I assume it is my decision. But I'd like some guidance in terms of what others have done or prefer (or what management prefers). Just because it's ok to post 3 days out doesn't mean it's best to post 3 days out, ya know!?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I know this isn't really the right place, but I've no idea where else to ask. I saw that there's a 72 hour maximum before release when posting game OTs, but is that when it should actually go out? I'll have my OT for Civ ready to go early tomorrow (just waiting for the final reveal), but should it go out right then or should I wait until about 24 hours before?

To be clear, I assume it is my decision. But I'd like some guidance in terms of what others have done or prefer (or what management prefers). Just because it's ok to post 3 days out doesn't mean it's best to post 3 days out, ya know!?
ironically, this is the only right place to ask this :D

It says 72 maximum for a reason. Often there is no point in posting it before it is actually available to buy. Some like to post early because there are already copies out in the wild or the hypetrain can't be contained (a very bad reason to post early). Ask yourself, does it benefit the OT and the people posting in any way to actually have the thread early? If it's a low-profile game, posting days before release leads to the OT disappearing immediately since nobody can actually talk about the game they are playing. If it's a high profile release, will the people posting in it actually have anything of value to discuss other than "omg can't wait antoniobanderas.gif" - on average I post my own OTs on the day of release unless copies are widely available due to broken street dates or something.