• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've been pondering whether there's scope for an ETC community thread on one subject I'm passionate about, and (based on interactions in the other place) have a reasonable assumption that there's a number of other people who also share that interest - but it's a subject that probably needs some discussion to hash out a specific scope, because it's very broad if we take it at face value - but if we break it down to individual entries, it's probably too *narrow* for each to justify their own thread.

Is this a case of just create the thread and see if it accumulates an audience, or should we have a bit of a discussion first on what sort of scope we should aim for? This is sort of an issue where we kind of need to find an initial audience first to figure out how best to proceed, but because the general interest in the subject was so fragmented, it's hard to unify it in the first place.

The subject in question: Game shows. There's a huge range out there to discuss, and I'm always interested in discovering interesting new international ones, and I think there's a number of smaller ones that wouldn't get noticed, but would probably appeal to existing fans of shows.

The scope issues are the problem; do we include quizzes? Likeable enough but often not all that distinctive from one another, but arguing over semantics would probably do no-one any good. Reality shows? Would perhaps over-dominate discussion while they're on (although that said, they could probably justify their own full thread as a result). What about something like, say, The Genius, which apes the structure of a reality show but the actual gameplay is on a much, well, gamier level?

What it boils down to is that I think it's a big collection of things that only a niche might know about, but a broader group would be interested in discovering. I think a fan of The Genius would be interested in learning about the subbed international versions of The Mole; someone who likes Takeshi's Castle might be pleasantly surprised by Wild Things; a fan of The Crystal Maze might never have seen how the parent show, Fort Boyard, has evolved in its native France, and anyone who likes gameshows in general might be interested in the scattershot approach of the German Schlag den... events.

(All this boiled down to the idea that I think there's scope for discussion of Taskmaster on here, but I don't think Taskmaster itself is a big enough name to justify a thread!)

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been pondering whether there's scope for an ETC community thread on one subject I'm passionate about, and (based on interactions in the other place) have a reasonable assumption that there's a number of other people who also share that interest - but it's a subject that probably needs some discussion to hash out a specific scope, because it's very broad if we take it at face value - but if we break it down to individual entries, it's probably too *narrow* for each to justify their own thread.

Is this a case of just create the thread and see if it accumulates an audience, or should we have a bit of a discussion first on what sort of scope we should aim for? This is sort of an issue where we kind of need to find an initial audience first to figure out how best to proceed, but because the general interest in the subject was so fragmented, it's hard to unify it in the first place.

The subject in question: Game shows. There's a huge range out there to discuss, and I'm always interested in discovering interesting new international ones, and I think there's a number of smaller ones that wouldn't get noticed, but would probably appeal to existing fans of shows.

The scope issues are the problem; do we include quizzes? Likeable enough but often not all that distinctive from one another, but arguing over semantics would probably do no-one any good. Reality shows? Would perhaps over-dominate discussion while they're on (although that said, they could probably justify their own full thread as a result). What about something like, say, The Genius, which apes the structure of a reality show but the actual gameplay is on a much, well, gamier level?

What it boils down to is that I think it's a big collection of things that only a niche might know about, but a broader group would be interested in discovering. I think a fan of The Genius would be interested in learning about the subbed international versions of The Mole; someone who likes Takeshi's Castle might be pleasantly surprised by Wild Things; a fan of The Crystal Maze might never have seen how the parent show, Fort Boyard, has evolved in its native France, and anyone who likes gameshows in general might be interested in the scattershot approach of the German Schlag den... events.

(All this boiled down to the idea that I think there's scope for discussion of Taskmaster on here, but I don't think Taskmaster itself is a big enough name to justify a thread!)
Even if this is very cute, I think I would rather not participate in this one, but will support you if you need some additional help, very wholesome and wholesome stuff must be rewarded

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Do you want to team up me and you to produce it? Or me to claim it etc.

That would be super sweet. Assuming it really does launch on the 2017 side, I'll PM you once a solid release date is announced to sort out the specifics and start hammering away at actually making the thing. So I guess at the moment TheMoon can list us both as claimants.

You are awesome to swoop in and save the day, thanks so much! :D

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Even if this is very cute, I think I would rather not participate in this one, but will support you if you need some additional help, very wholesome and wholesome stuff must be rewarded
Thanks; for now I think it's probably best if I do some cross-referencing among the people who I think would already be interested in such a thread and gauge their opinions on the subject to try to lock down the right sort of scope.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
just a heads-up, I'll do a bigger OP update this weekend that also revises and expands the guidelines in an attempt to make things more clear, address frequently asked questions, prevent some confusion (I hope?), and maybe probably definitely include some more guidelines that are supposed to serve as tips if you're new to the OT game. but beware, expanded, clearer OP will mean more yelling from grumpy moon if somebody comes in here and doesn't bother reading it :P

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Please note that if you make a new weekly |OT| or reach the 200 pages / 20k posts mark please have your new |OT| creator reply to this thread with an updated link to the new |OT|.

So I get the point of this post from the other topic—making sure posters in the thread update their links to reflect the latest OT—but just to check: this specific max posts per thread reference isn't an actual hard rule, right? As I don't see it listed in the OP here or anywhere else I've seen. It's pretty much just a recent-ish tradition at this point, since originally the reason behind the 400 page (when viewed with the default 50ppp) / 20k limit being in place for the other board was due to the old forum software, but have been on a number of boards with more modern software containing more posts per thread, and couldn't find any results about problems with Xenforo handling it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a Retsupurae OT, is there? I know there are fans on Era, so I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to make one, but I'm not sure if I should be the person to do it. I haven't kept up at all and I'm nowhere close to catching up to their current videos.

Oct 27, 2017
No clue if this is the right thread to post in but i'm a motion designer. If Resetera needs a logo animation or 3d render or anything for videos/etc just let me know and i'll gladly do it for free of course :) i would be happy to contribute to the community. Cheers

Edit: oh crap this is only about OTs lol. Nevermind

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'd like to do an OT for Ace of Seafood PS4 if no one objects. The game comes out in like 2 days, so no need to make a proper claim, I think.
affirmative-gif-5.gif

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Nintendo Direct Live Reaction Thread by CGiRanger (11/05/2017)
November 7 @ 6AM PST | 9 AM EST (will be posted 15-30 minutes beforehand)

Note: I recognize that there was of course already the Announcement thread for this. The purpose here would be to immediately begin live reaction at the outset, and to compile information in the OP while, and after, the Direct is ongoing.

Last edited:

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
So I get the point of this post from the other topic—making sure posters in the thread update their links to reflect the latest OT—but just to check: this specific max posts per thread reference isn't an actual hard rule, right? As I don't see it listed in the OP here or anywhere else I've seen. It's pretty much just a recent-ish tradition at this point, since originally the reason behind the 400 page (when viewed with the default 50ppp) / 20k limit being in place for the other board was due to the old forum software, but have been on a number of boards with more modern software containing more posts per thread, and couldn't find any results about problems with Xenforo handling it.
Xenforo can certainly handle more, but we are keeping at 20k posts as it's been previously.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Xenforo can certainly handle more, but we are keeping at 20k posts as it's been previously.

What about threads like the Steam monthly threads where on occasion the topic has had two threads in one month due to popularity? This was one of the very first things that was praised about this forum upon arriving in that thread—no more having to split up months if need be.

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
What about threads like the Steam monthly threads where on occasion the topic has had two threads in one month due to popularity? This was one of the very first things that was praised about this forum upon arriving in that thread—no more having to split up months if need be.
For the sake of uniformity across the site, it'll still be 20k per thread post limit.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
FilmEra has a great idea for the 2018 Oscar starting March 4th. We already got some stuff made for, and would like to make the OT.

I will be posting the thread but it is a colla.

Oscars 2018 IOTI Presented by FilmEra. name is a work in progress. I would like permission to make the Ot please.

please use the proper formatting outlined in the OP. you really just need to copy/paste the text in code there and add the links. please update and repost the claim properly.

Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel (Movie 1) Presage Flower by cj iwakura ( November 2nd, 2017 )
Unless someone beat me to it or wants to help. Or both.

date? is it a movie? if so, the [ETC] tag is missing. you also forgot to link your name. please update and repost the claim properly.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
please use the proper formatting outlined in the OP. you really just need to copy/paste the text in code there and add the links. please update and repost the claim properly.

date? is it a movie? if so, the [ETC] tag is missing. you also forgot to link your name. please update and repost the claim properly.
Sorry, didn't realize there was a new system. Yes, it's a movie.

[ETC] Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel (Movie 1) Presage Flower by cj iwakura ( November 2nd, 2017 )

Unless someone beat me to it or wants to help. Or both.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would like to make a Samsung Galaxy OT (for latest high-end mobiles phones) for Etcetera. Have banner image ready.

Samsung Galaxy S8 S8+ Note 8 by nib95 (7th November 2017)

----

Samsung Galaxy S8 • S8+ • Note 8 | OT | Out Now

Edit: Threads done now!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'd like to make a Nioh Complete Edition OT, but I noticed that there's already an OT for the base game version though it's lacking information.

Nioh Complete Edition by texhnolyze (7th November 2017)

when. please fix.

Would like to make a Samsung Galaxy OT (for latest high-end mobiles phones) for Etcetera. Have banner image ready.

Samsung Galaxy S8 S8+ Note 8 by nib95 (7th November 2017)
----
Samsung Galaxy S8 • S8+ • Note 8 | OT | Out Now

when. and you forgot to link your name. please fix.

Guys, it's really not that hard to just copy/paste the template from the OP and fill in the blanks with this very basic information. It would make this process so much easier for both you and myself.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
when. please fix.

when. and you forgot to link your name. please fix.

Guys, it's really not that hard to just copy/paste the template from the OP and fill in the blanks with this very basic information. It would make this process so much easier for both you and myself.

Well, I've posted in the adopt a user page. I'd ideally prefer someone else to just post the thread for me right away, with the thread title and image content as above.

I'd have added a few additional links etc, but I'm not sure it is really all that necessary. They could always be edited in if needed at a later date.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I know People have been looking around, but I will be posting a GTA Online thread that 3 members are putting together as part of the adopt a user program.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Do we have a Paladin's OT? Does anyone even play Paladins? I'd happily make a Paladin's OT - though I can't post threads so someone would need to post it for me.

Edit: I'll find a way to find out if anyone actually plays Paladins first and then come back to this idea.

Last edited:

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I mentioned in the adopt a poster thread that I would like some form of SWTOR thread for discussion of the live game (rather than history and the launch mess) and I have suggested creating one .

However, I have no idea if there is sufficient interest in that game on the forum for a proper OT - as we have got to this point without one? I suspect there probably isnt

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA really needs an OT for Pinball.

The thread would cover real pinball (new & upcoming games, events, locations, reviews, buying & selling tables, etc) as well as digital pinball and related news (Zen Pinball, The Pinball Arcade, etc).

I'm happy to put it together but I can't make a thread for 2 months.

On Gaf we had a community thread for The Pinball Arcade that kind of bled over to all things pinball but I envision something far more comprehensive.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
The search bar will help you with that. In the spirit of learning, I will not link to it now but you'll have to type the words in yourself and see the thread come up as the only result. Good luck!

hahah I had searched "console screenshots", that's why I didn't find anything the first time.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of starting a Humble Monthly thread - but just one thread to contain all the monthly deals - I noticed someone already made one for November, but what's the arrangement moving forward? New thread for every month?