• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
A look at the Cyberpunk 2077 OT so far courtesy of me on the design/GIFs and Black Chamber on the writing. I think we've done a good job on establishing a base design/style so we'll probably call it quits for now. Still far too early to work on this proper :P

BE5tKjo.gif

fkGkCH6.gif

kNh1gEI.gif

Last edited:

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
A look at the Cyberpunk 2077 OT so far courtesy of me on the design/GIFs and Black Chamber on the writing. I think we've done a good job on establishing a base design/style so we'll probably call it quits for now. Still far too early to work on this proper :P

BE5tKjo.gif

fkGkCH6.gif

kNh1gEI.gif

I love this. I love y'all. I love this community. LET'S GO

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Given all of the interesting and crazy stuff going on, a general purpose emulator/emulation OT would be nice. We have one for screenshots and several for specific emulators, not to mention the topics that pop up once something interesting happens, but nothing to discuss emulators as a whole

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Due to recent events with Blizzard and China, I'm no longer going to do the Overwatch for Switch OT. Not sure if I'll pick it up again if Blizzard actually fixes this mess that they've made, but if someone else does take it then more power to them!

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a image limit for posts? I know there's a text limit. I'm trying to figure out if I should split up an OT into two posts.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Is there a image limit for posts? I know there's a text limit. I'm trying to figure out if I should split up an OT into two posts.
My Borderlands 3 OT has like 30 images or smth, lol. There's no limit though there was a post limit on the old site (the Witcher 3 OT went on for like 4 posts lol)

I personally wouldn't split it up between posts only cuz what happens if you post the OT and try to reserve the first post but someone else posts first? Kinda complicates things lol.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
My Borderlands 3 OT has like 30 images or smth, lol. There's no limit though there was a post limit on the old site (the Witcher 3 OT went on for like 4 posts lol)

I personally wouldn't split it up between posts only cuz what happens if you post the OT and try to reserve the first post but someone else posts first? Kinda complicates things lol.
Posts also have a character limit here. I don't remember where but one thread I made got there. The forum's shitty auto-formatting (lord help you if you start working with indents and quotes and don't do it in the plain text editor) can blow up a post with countless redundancies while you're not looking.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Posts also have a character limit here. I don't remember where but one thread I made got there. The forum's shitty auto-formatting (lord help you if you start working with indents and quotes and don't do it in the plain text editor) can blow up a post with countless redundancies while you're not looking.
Yeah that sucks. It's the only reason why I've started just putting all my OT text in images as I can get around that though it makes mobile users and those on data plans weep.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
32MB GIF for one block of text lmao
You need 2077MB Down to load the OT
This is an issue for me with the particularly fancy OTs that contain lots of gifs and giant, redundant headers that continually reoccur. Yes, they look good, but loading all that, then scrolling through all of it can be more laborious than concise and digestible. I think the flashiest OT I've made thus far was the one for Yakuza Kiwami 2 PC, only because I had to include a few SunhiLegend gifs at the end there. Other than that, I try to strike a balance between making it look decent, and having it functionally convey the necessary information.

Besides, only a handful of people will ever look at the first page again, once the discussion moves past the first few pages. We've gotta be honest with ourselves about that.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
This is an issue for me with the particularly fancy OTs that contain lots of gifs and giant, redundant headers that continually reoccur. Yes, they look good, but loading all that, then scrolling through all of it can be more laborious than concise and digestible. I think the flashiest OT I've made thus far was the one for Yakuza Kiwami 2 PC, only because I had to include a few SunhiLegend gifs at the end there. Other than that, I try to strike a balance between making it look decent, and having it functionally convey the necessary information.

Besides, only a handful of people will ever look at the first page again, once the discussion moves past the first few pages. We've gotta be honest with ourselves about that.
I think the problem is the lack of optimization. You can get pretty good quality with jpegs instead of 36mb png pictures. My Pokémon OT will be image based but I'm trying to optimize it as much as I can.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think the problem is the lack of optimization. You can get pretty good quality with jpegs instead of 36mb png pictures. My Pokémon OT will be image based but I'm trying to optimize it as much as I can.

Lol, I feel like a lot of this criticism is directed at me 😅

That's fairs but I'm not really too fussed about optimization, especially considering like you say Aurc most people won't be looking at the OP after the first few pages. I'd rather go all out and make something special even if it is a bit on the heavy side (Astral Chain for example) as long as it blows people away when they first see it. I'll take the L with the whole 36MB GIF (though the only reason I was doing this was because Black Chamber said he wanted the OT to feel like an animated brochure from the future, though that isn't really feasible, at least how I pictured it. We'll probably just make it an image in the final version).

I'm reminded of a few game OTs on the old site that were huuuuuuuge in size but man they looked cool. I've only started doing OTs recently but whenever I'm working on one, I remember how cool those OTs were and I suddenly wanna make the one I'm working on really stand out. To give the game an OT it deserves.

Different approaches at the end of the day, ha. Makes this all interesting as we all have our own different styles. I like your approach Aurc. I dunno if you noticed but when I was first starting out and did the Dragon's Dogma Switch OT, your Spyro OT was a huge inspiration. I kinda slipped into my own design style over time tho.

Also that bit about redundant headers is so true. With the two recent OTs I've just finished making like the COD one and the RDR2 one, I've decided to curb that entirely. It's not much but it saves where it can.

fullltju9.png

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That honestly looks great, vestan! Good shit dude.

Totally fair on your reasoning for doing things the way you do, as well. Your threads certainly do blow people away on first viewing, myself included. I think you probably make the best OTs on the forum. There are others I've seen that are as good, but not consistently by the same person over and over again, so kudos for that.

And no, I had no idea my Spyro thread served as an inspiration for your Dragon's Dogma one. Looking back on it now, I def see the similarity! Thanks for that. I really lean heavily on the "long, vertical rectangle" type of OT because it accomplishes a couple things:

1.) As long as everything is contained within a singular, relatively narrow image, people's eyes won't dart back and forth or get distracted by visual elements that go from a big image on the left, to one on the right, etc. They're few and far between, but I've seen a couple threads that take that approach, and the varying image sizes and points of fixation make me wonder where exactly I should be looking.
2.) There are never accessibility issues. There's no transparency, so the image looks the same on light theme as it does on dark, and I don't have to wonder about whether so-and-so looks good on dark theme, but illegible on light. Mobile users can view it without issue too.

They'll never look like yours, but that's okay. I'd lose if I were playing your game, lol.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
hqdefault.jpg

Lol, I feel like a lot of this criticism is directed at me 😅
I think it's more criticism of the tech realities than anything else.

RIP
game got delayed to Q2
So should I remove the claim post or just change the date?

I'd remove it for now until they figured out a new release window or maybe a proper date.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I'm personally not a fan of the OTs that come across looking like they were done by a PR representative, but that's just me.

I just stick to Details / Story / Characters / Media / Reviews.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm personally not a fan of the OTs that come across looking like they were done by a PR representative, but that's just me.

I just stick to Details / Story / Characters / Media / Reviews.
Sometimes people are big fans of the game or IP, so they wanna do something cool for it out of passion for what they enjoy. That's why you see so many flashy gifs and headers and stuff like that. I've seen a lot like that where my takeaway is "Man, this person is really excited for - so and so -, and it really shines through."

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Sometimes people are big fans of the game or IP, so they wanna do something cool for it out of passion for what they enjoy. That's why you see so many flashy gifs and headers and stuff like that. I've seen a lot like that where my takeaway is "Man, this person is really excited for - so and so -, and it really shines through."
No, that's all good and fine, I mean things like 'winner of [x] GOTY awards' and such, I think that's extraneous.

Most of my favorite games don't even get noticed by reviewers.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No, that's all good and fine, I mean things like 'winner of [x] GOTY awards' and such, I think that's extraneous.
I guarantee you it's not that deep. I got someone to copy the official press release for me so I didn't fuck up any of the details because I'm lazy.

It's not really that different from people who have the game's Metacritic/Opencritic in the OP so I don't know why you feel the need to single me out, lol. It's all about celebrating a game you like at the end of the day. I'd imagine if you're working on an OT for a game then you're at least somewhat passionate about it. Not everyone has some insidious agenda.

I'm personally not a fan of the OTs that come across looking like they were done by a PR representative
When I work on an OT, I'll always want it to be true to the game at hand as if it was made by the actual developers itself. I'll always put in the effort as I'm only interested in claiming OTs for games I'm extremely excited for. If this gets me accused as an astroturfer, shill or viral marketer then 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I guarantee you it's not that deep. I got someone to copy the official press release for me so I didn't fuck up any of the details because I'm lazy.

It's not really that different from people who have the game's Metacritic/Opencritic in the OP so I don't know why you feel the need to single me out, lol. It's all about celebrating a game you like at the end of the day. I'd imagine if you're working on an OT for a game then you're at least somewhat passionate about it. Not everyone has some insidious agenda.

When I work on an OT, I'll always want it to be true to the game at hand as if it was made by the actual developers itself. I'll always put in the effort as I'm only interested in claiming OTs for games I'm extremely excited for. If this gets me accused as an astroturfer, shill or viral marketer then 🤷‍♂️
I wasn't singling you out, I meant in general. I personally don't care for metacritic/opencritic stuff either, I like to let the game do the talking. I only put in a review section because someone always asks.

But hey, you do what works for you, just my 2c.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way I'll get to all these games anytime soon; might as well try to live vicariously through anyone else playing them!

Something else I'll put together with the expectation it's just going to release out of nowhere:
Alien: Isolation (Switch) by Dancrane212 (October 20th, 2019)

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games