• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure where to ask this. I've never had an OT roll over to OT2 before. Is it basically just copying/pasting the old OT into a new one once the OT1 has passed 200 pages? Maybe with some newer info if needed?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I wasn't sure where to ask this. I've never had an OT roll over to OT2 before. Is it basically just copying/pasting the old OT into a new one once the OT1 has passed 200 pages? Maybe with some newer info if needed?
This isn't really a question anyone can "answer" for you. Depends on what's relevant to the game or thing in question. It's your OT, do what you want :)

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
yeah like moon said you can do whatever you want. for the sekiro OT for example. i copy pasted the first one for the second, but i also added a beginners tips section. you generally want to make up a new OT title though :p

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Thinking of doing a Animal Crossing: New Horizons show off your Avatar and town thread when it releases, what do you all think?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah like moon said you can do whatever you want. for the sekiro OT for example. i copy pasted the first one for the second, but i also added a beginners tips section. you generally want to make up a new OT title though :p
This isn't really a question anyone can "answer" for you. Depends on what's relevant to the game or thing in question. It's your OT, do what you want :)
Thanks for the tips! I'll think about whatever might need updating as I gear up for OT2. The new title is the only thing I have decided on so far.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Thought it'd be a nice way to warm up my OT designs in 2020. I have some titles in the latter half of the year I really want to do OTs for but I'll try to get claims for those after E3 probably. I literally have a 5 page document now filled with ideas ranging from animations to just cool layout designs for OTs that I want to try out this year.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Thought it'd be a nice way to warm up my OT designs in 2020. I have some titles in the latter half of the year I really want to do OTs for but I'll try to get claims for those after E3 probably. I literally have a 5 page document now filled with ideas ranging from animations to just cool layout designs for OTs that I want to try out this year.
Why try?

I'd like to reiterate this from the OP's guidelines:

If somebody has already claimed an OT that you also wanted to work on, collaborate with each other. Claiming an OT is not a race to be first to exclude others. Collaboration is mandatory if multiple people want to work on an OT! This is not first come first served! Claiming is about preventing two people wasting their time making dueling threads, it's not about excluding others.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Why try?

I'd like to reiterate this from the OP's guidelines:
Thanks, that's a really good point. I'm sure some of the titles I have my eyes on for later this year (which don't have firm release dates yet) will grab the attention of other OT creators too so I can totally see some of those being collaborative efforts.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Hypothetically speaking, could there potentially be a limit to the amount of people collaborating on an OT? I can't image that, for instance, six or seven people all claiming the same OT and collaborating on it would form the most cohesive thread (not saying that's ever happened, nor is it likely to). If I'm not mistaken, the purpose of an OT's main post is to convey the necessary product information in an easily digestible format, and that could potentially get a bit messy, the more chefs that are in the kitchen. I'm just asking out of curiosity, really.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hypothetically speaking, could there potentially be a limit to the amount of people collaborating on an OT? I can't image that, for instance, six or seven people all claiming the same OT and collaborating on it would form the most cohesive thread (not saying that's ever happened, nor is it likely to). If I'm not mistaken, the purpose of an OT's main post is to convey the necessary product information in an easily digestible format, and that could potentially get a bit messy, the more chefs that are in the kitchen. I'm just asking out of curiosity, really.
Well that's how people learn communication and teamworking skills :)
Figure out a direction, roles, people's specialties, and priorities. Usually it's people wanting to do fancy graphics for their hype game, sometimes it's someone who has a particular investment in detailing the ins and outs of the gameplay info etc. It all depends on how people end up communicating. Should we find like 5-6 people clamoring for the same OT, I'm sure some would drop out beecause tehy wouldn't want to bother dealing with the collaborative part. Sometimes there are personal or creative differences. Working through those is up to the group.

The main thing is that I want to make it clear that this isn't a thing that excludes people who don't know how to work wizard magic with pottoshop and animations and whatnot when they see an established OT-creator posting a claim, or people who don't jump in here 5 minutes after an announcement trailer drops.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This is a good point. I work in the creative industry and sometimes working collaboratively you realise there's either not enough for everyone to do or too many competing voices and the final product becomes incoherent to a degree. I'd almost say whoever gets the claim first is almost like the creative director and has the initial say while anyone wanting to collaborate can help with design, writing and formatting, following the original claimers OT flow if they have made one.

Its also worth noting that someone may claim an OT with very little Photoshop/design knowledge or writing knowledge or knowledge about making a forum post in general. So in those situations it is very much about collaboration and about working together on making the OT the best and maybe after 1 or 2 OTs been helped, maybe they'll post one solo a few months later.

I realise writing that, I probably approach OT design differently than some. I write down all the ideas I have, do a written layout and then do extensive research for a long time into the game but specifically looking at art style and UI to help inspire the look of the OT. I then mockup 4-5 designs for my OT and throw them all away, then mockup a final design which is my basis for all elements in the OT. You can see this design philosophy throughout all my OTs in 2019; Anthem, Outer Worlds and Darksiders Genesis. On the latter two, I also wanted to include text only versions of the OT for accessibility reasons, so the first reply to the OT is always a text only version of the main OT post.

I also just want to say, that I love that the OT process on Era isn't some frat house or impenetrable club. It lets anyone who wants to, write a claim and make an OT. It lets people show their design voice, writing skills and passion for said game. One of the reasons I got the job I'm in now is because of my Anthem OT. I showed the hiring manager and they really liked it. It goes to show that treating an OT with respect and putting time into it can go along way and I love that so many other OT creators on here think the same way.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This is a good point. I work in the creative industry and sometimes working collaboratively you realise there's either not enough for everyone to do or too many competing voices and the final product becomes incoherent to a degree. I'd almost say whoever gets the claim first is almost like the creative director and has the initial say while anyone wanting to collaborate can help with design, writing and formatting, following the original claimers OT flow if they have made one.
imo that flies in the face of the goal to avoid a race to post a claim. Could lead to an "I was first, so I have the final say" scenarios. I feel this is something that should be decided on a case-by-case basis among those in the pool, whoever has the strongest pitch. Like, if you come in with an idea you've mulled over in your head already for weeks etc then you'll probably have an easier time to convince someone who just claimed it without much thought to support your idea and follow that direction.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
imo that flies in the face of the goal to avoid a race to post a claim. Could lead to an "I was first, so I have the final say" scenarios. I feel this is something that should be decided on a case-by-case basis among those in the pool, whoever has the strongest pitch. Like, if you come in with an idea you've mulled over in your head already for weeks etc then you'll probably have an easier time to convince someone who just claimed it without much thought to support your idea and follow that direction.
Yeah very true, I'm also not trying to say that the first person to claim should have full creative control but they may have more a vision if the person wanting to collaborate comes in a few weeks or months after the original claim was put in. What you said about it being case-by-case is totally right. I also think some people are more open to collaboration than others so that will always be a challenge for some. I know that when I got into the TV/Film industry in my early 20's it was really tough to collaborate with a large team - now I love it. Often, working in a vacuum is worse for the final product so having people around to help or even just give feedback is vital.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yeah very true, I'm also not trying to say that the first person to claim should have full creative control but they may have more a vision if the person wanting to collaborate comes in a few weeks or months after the original claim was put in. What you said about it being case-by-case is totally right. I also think some people are more open to collaboration than others so that will always be a challenge for some. I know that when I got into the TV/Film industry in my early 20's it was really tough to collaborate with a large team - now I love it. Often, working in a vacuum is worse for the final product so having people around to help or even just give feedback is vital.
AMA about my discord fan club's opinion on my OT titles :P

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One more question about OT2:
Are you expected to throw OT2 up instantly as soon as the OT hits 200 pages or is there a page or two grace period in which to do it?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
One more question about OT2:
Are you expected to throw OT2 up instantly as soon as the OT hits 200 pages or is there a page or two grace period in which to do it?
It's not like Mods are watching your page count waiting to snipe it with a lock^^

The page limit is a soft-limit anyway. In the early days we had it explained that we technically don't even need it but just kept it like that to keep big threads in a somewhat controlled volume still.

In short, expect a 4 week ban if it goes to 202 pages :P

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

Not really sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'll just have a go. Hi there IDontBeatGames, hyped for your Dreams OT and the full release in Februrary. I shared an idea earlier today in the Playstation thread, wondering if people were supportive of the idea to create a Resetera Community Creations OT for Dreams. I think the stuff that has already been done in Early Access is phenomenal and should have more space on this site. The OT will be a great place for this, I guess. So many amazing creation fly very much under the radar on ERA now but this should change once Dreams has officially released and receives an OT.

But then, there might be quite a few users like me who have started to dig deeper into the tools and might want a place for some more exchange on creating stuff in Dreams here on ERA. Not sure whether a hangout would be suitable or if we can create a thread in the main gaming section. Anyway, let me know what you think, I'm not sure games usually receive more than one OT, which is why I'm asking.

(Also, for creation tutorials it might be cool to link YouTubers like NeonTheCoder or LadylexUK in the OT. They've helped a lot)

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Not really sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'll just have a go. Hi there IDontBeatGames, hyped for your Dreams OT and the full release in Februrary. I shared an idea earlier today in the Playstation thread, wondering if people were supportive of the idea to create a Resetera Community Creations OT for Dreams. I think the stuff that has already been done in Early Access is phenomenal and should have more space on this site. The OT will be a great place for this, I guess. So many amazing creation fly very much under the radar on ERA now but this should change once Dreams has officially released and receives an OT.

But then, there might be quite a few users like me who have started to dig deeper into the tools and might want a place for some more exchange on creating stuff in Dreams here on ERA. Not sure whether a hangout would be suitable or if we can create a thread in the main gaming section. Anyway, let me know what you think, I'm not sure games usually receive more than one OT, which is why I'm asking.

(Also, for creation tutorials it might be cool to link YouTubers like NeonTheCoder or LadylexUK in the OT. They've helped a lot)

Hi there!
I wouldn't mind splitting Dreams OT into 2 parts if you'd like DM me! I'd love to talk more about this idea :)

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

If this weren't the right place to ask this, we'd have screwed up royally :D