• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Outer Worlds is the next RPG by one of the most well respected RPG developers in the world.

They have made classics such as KOTOR, Fallout New Vegas, South Park The Stick of Truth, and Pillars of Eternity

The quick setup of the game is that we are in a future where mega corporations control everything. This is because The Outer Worlds is set in an alternate reality where William McKinley was never assassinated, therefore Theodore Roosevelt never became president.

The game is an RPG, not a game where you put points into slots to give yourself traits. Decisions matter. There are several factions in this game, as well as branching narratives and choices.

The game has been described as "New Vegas in space". I take that as to mean that New Vegas featured a lot of player freedom and choice and this should have the same thing.

Now, to set expectations, this is a AA game. This game isn't as open as New Vegas and it definitely isn't a 100 hour game. This game was in production before Microsoft acquired them so there were definitely budget limitations.

The game is coming to Game Pass on Xbox and PC, as well as PS4, The Epic Games Store, and Switch at a later date.

Not sold? Check out some previews and decide for yourself.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly hyped. This is everything I want from Obsidian. I really want it to be something special.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super hyped, i'm hoping it's close to New Vegas.

Only playing it cuz of game pass tho, otherwise i'd have held off until a long time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As a big fan of New Vegas...

Nope. First person only + the fact that I'll never be able to play any future games in the series pretty much killed any potential hype dead.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a hundred hour game, that's good. Any word on the length? I have to about Nov. 20th on gamepass, which might do me if the game's ~40 hours. I could do 60, but I'd have to spend practically all my free time on it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I might play it when it comes to Switch if both the game and the port are good.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not a hundred hour game, that's good. Any word on the length? I have to about Nov. 20th on gamepass, which might do me if the game's ~40 hours. I could do 60, but I'd have to spend practically all my free time on it.

15 if you just rush to the end, 40+ if you take your time

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
About as hyped as my old jaded ass can get for a game these days. In other words, I am hopeful it will be the game I have been waiting for since New Vegas, but I am not assuming it is already set in stone. Thanks to game pass I can actually play it day one on my perferred system, the PC.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hyped is a strong word but its on gamepass so I guess I'll check it out?

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite hyped! I'm still not totally sold on the combat; but I love Fallout and Skyrim in spite of their weak combat. Really looking forward though to the storyline, quests, exploration, etc...

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really looking forward to it. This and Disco Elysium should hopefully make this a great month for RPGs.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
So i basically have 13 days to finish Dishonored 2? Alright then i'm game

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can't wait! Obsidian are great and I'm surprised they didn't blow up like CDPR. I thought they had more talent back in the 2000s and early 2010s (NV was better than Witcher 1 and 2, both of which I loved as well), but they didn't quite take off like I expected them to. Anyway, I'll give this game a shot on the PC Game Pass.

IXI FalcoN

Oct 27, 2017
My most hyped fall release by far. I've loved every one of Obsidian's games and I expect to enjoy this too.

I'm also very relieved to hear it's a 30-40 hour experience with more focused hub areas. I'm exhausted with 100+ hour slogs on giant maps. The majority of games don't have enough interesting content to justify that.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Xbox Game Pass baby!

ShallowDeadAmericanwigeon-size_restricted.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can't wait! Obsidian are great and I'm surprised they didn't blow up like CDPR. I thought they had more talent back in the 2000s and early 2010s (NV was better than Witcher 1 and 2, both of which I loved as well), but they didn't quite take off like I expected them to. Anyway, I'll give this game a shot on the PC Game Pass.

Obsidian basically got screwed over and over again by publishers who didn't respect them. I'm not surprised they never took off the way they should have when they had partners like Bethesda and BioWare deliberately kicking their legs out from underneath them.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
New Vegas was absolutely incredible and I was kind of heart broken at the idea of not being able to get another game like it from Obsidian.

I can't wait. I just hope theres good word of mouth and the first few months isn't people just complaining about bugs so we can actually get a sequel.

Buy this game, guys. I'm begging you.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very excited for this game. Main game I've been excited for this year ☺️ I'm hoping that its super successful and if we ever get a sequel itll be a bigger world, something like the size of new vegas

Mar 3, 2018
Hype! Pre-Pre-ordered on PSN, don't know much about it beside the trailer though I do know who's making it so why not it'll be fun jumping in blind.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
New Vegas was absolutely incredible and I was kind of heart broken at the idea of not being able to get another game like it from Obsidian.

I can't wait. I just hope theres good word of mouth and the first few months isn't people just complaining about bugs so we can actually get a sequel.

Buy this game, guys. I'm begging you.

Microsoft owns them so luckily in the future they're going to have financial support to create even bigger and better games