The Outer Worlds announced (Obsidian, FPS RPG, XB1/PS4/Steam 2019)

Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian now has an opportunity to show the world that they belong up there as one of the three top RPG development houses.
??? They've always been there. They just didn't have the budget management or expertise for the technical side. Bethesda has made all of two (three, if I'm being nice) really good RPGs, and CDProjekt has made two and a half pretty good RPGs. Obsidian has made more actual RPGs than either of them, both narratively and consequence related.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck, this seems 110% up my alley. Like, potential-GOAT-RPG-maybe-even-better-than-New-Vegas level of up my alley.

I'm incredibly excited to say the least.

Jan 22, 2018
Man, it's hard to get into discussions about this game without the topic shifting to shit on Bethesda. I understand, Fallout 76 was/is a disaster, but Starfield looks totally different in tone to this game to really compare the two, you're allowed to like both things, Jesus.

Anyway, I hope we can soon discover just how big is this game. Space travel seems to be teased, going from one planet to another in the Halcyon colony, that's pretty cool. It hasn't been confirmed as an open world, but that's kind of a given, right?

Oct 27, 2017
I was onboard before I even knew what it was. Obsidian, making a game with the old Fallout team, in the style of some of their best games?

Fuck it, I'ma play New Vegas right fucking now, just to cool off a little bit. The hype is really getting to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I’m interested but I hate when games just have a year as an estimated release date. There’s a big difference between January 2019 and December 2019.

Oct 27, 2017
I was all over it seeikg the description and first screenshots, and then... FPS.

I just got cyberpunked again, it's starting to hurt.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this coming as a shock to anyone with the way most console based RPGs have been since 2006?
I guess you're right, but both Fallout and Skyrim have optional 3rd person. Hopefully this game will as well. I'll still play the game regardless mind you, it's just that I'm really not a fan of this perspective in general, it greatly reduces my enjoyment.

Oct 29, 2017
Why is this coming as a shock to anyone with the way most console based RPGs have been since 2006?
What are you talking about? The VAST majority of rpgs have been either third person or had the option to toggle to whichever one you prefer.

Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Skyrim
Fallout
Horizon: ZD
The Witcher
Zelda: BOTW
Dark Souls/Bloodborne
Gothic
Risen
Two Worlds
etc.

The main exceptions to this have been Deus Ex and Borderlands.

Oct 25, 2017
3rd person option for the love of the space gods. I know; resources, animations, optimization. But please, please, patch it in post release and charge me for it.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh my god, this looks AMAZING! Beyond excited! The only downside is that it'll be in the second half of 2019 if it doesn't get delayed to 2020.

This game automatically makes 2019 better than 2018 for RPGs. 2018 was the worst year of this generation for RPGs as far as I'm concerned.

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
You and me both!

This had better come out in the first half of the year.
Apparently it's been in development since the start of 2017 at the very least, so there should be 2 years of development behind it now. If we're lucky, maybe first half of 2019 is actually possible!

Nov 1, 2017
Apparently it's been in development since the start of 2017 at the very least, so there should be 2 years of development behind it now. If we're lucky, maybe first half of 2019 is actually possible!
I hope that you are right!

Seems like a good fit for April through July. March is already packed to the gills and Sep through December is going to be a bloodbath like pretty much every year.

Oct 26, 2017
This looks so awesome. Crazy to see these guys make something so incredibly similar to the Fallout formula. I'm guessing relations between Bethesda and Obsidian didn't end up going so well in the end?

Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? The VAST majority of rpgs have been either third person or had the option to toggle to whichever one you prefer.

Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Skyrim
Fallout
Horizon: ZD
The Witcher
Zelda: BOTW
Dark Souls/Bloodborne
Gothic
Risen
Two Worlds
etc.

The main exceptions to this have been Deus Ex and Borderlands.
The Elder Scrolls and Fallout (since 3) are first person games. Yes you can toggle to third person, but that is not how the game is supposed to be played and it feels tacked on in every both of those series.

Nov 7, 2017
??? They've always been there. They just didn't have the budget management or expertise for the technical side. Bethesda has made all of two (three, if I'm being nice) really good RPGs, and CDProjekt has made two and a half pretty good RPGs. Obsidian has made more actual RPGs than either of them, both narratively and consequence related.
I agree they've generally been up there but, Obsidian has been around for longer than CD Projekt Red and they've been making generally smaller scope games or ones that borrow the engine and a lot of assets from other games like they did with KOTOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas. Also, when did CD Projekt make half of a game?