• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't looked forward to a game this much in forever! This thing has the potential to be so so close to my perfect game.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
no romances

jqq8wm.gif

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
This looks amazing - I just hope we have an option to walk around without a gun drawn. The dialogue choices look hilarious and the shooting mechanics seem really right! It'll be nice to see how this team really expands on the RPG space with some great combat.

Oct 26, 2017
This will undoubtedly be shown more during E3 at the Xbox show because I don't see this releasing earlier than that. Would love to be wrong though.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looks fucking great. Can't wait to hear more about it. They really went in on saying fuck Bethesda in that trailer.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, looks like one of the rare occasions where I would buy a game just from the trailer alone. New vegas was my favorite fallout and probably my favorite game of last gen.

Original fallout crew? Open world rpg? Scifi? A bit of humor as well?

Oh yes. Eat Bethesda's lunch boys and girls. Eat it up and make em give you seconds.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
This is the making a huge new franchise right before our very eyes. Exciting times. Very hyped. Watched the trailer like 10 times to see if I can recognize any new hints.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, looks like one of the rare occasions where I would buy a game just from the trailer alone. New vegas was my favorite fallout and probably my favorite game of last gen.

Original fallout crew? Open world rpg? Scifi? A bit of humor as well?

Oh yes. Eat Bethesda's lunch boys and girls. Eat it up and make em give you seconds.

Afaik it is not open world in a classical sense. What I've read is, that you fly to different planets with your ship and do missions there.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
It should not be understated what a huge opportunity this is for Obsidian. With Bethesda dropping the ball hard with 76 (and mildly disappointing with Fallout 4), Obsidian has a real chance to swoop in and steal the crown. They're going to have a lot of good will going in from people that feel burned by Bethesda. People are really going to want them to succeed, and the timing could not be better.

If this can swing an 85 or better on Metacritic, I think we're looking at a huge hit.

What a strange take.

You make it sound like there's only room for one action-rpg in the market.

Outer Worlds looks awesome, likely Day One material. But that doesn't mean there can't be other options, other flavors of the sub-genre in the marketplace.

When the sublime Divinity: Original Sin 2 dropped did that suddenly invalidate Pillars of Eternity? Or suggest that no one else should even bother trying to make a modern cRPG?

I will never understand the sentiment, "The only way for my team to win is for your team to lose." mentality so prevalent on Era. Talk about a odd willingness to limit your options.

Oct 26, 2017
Afaik it is not open world in a classical sense. What I've read is, that you fly to different planets with your ship and do missions there.

That's pretty much what I've expected ever since that trailer yesterday, but I can definitely see potential sequels being much bigger and open, depending on how big the budget will be from MS.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a golden age sci-fi paperback in video game form and I love it

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a strange take.

You make it sound like there's only room for one action-rpg in the market.
What I said has nothing to do with "room in the market." What I said is that Outer Worlds will have a tremendous amount of good will going into it, and that it stands to benefit from the negativity toward Fallout and Bethesda, because it makes a great narrative to see the spurned developers of a beloved entry show the big corporation who screwed over fans how it's done.

That can backfire if the game disapppoints, of course. The Mighty No. 9 effect.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Disagree. If done well they can be really great storylines. The lack of that limits my RP options. Bit disappointed by that, though judging by PoE 2 and how badly romances were done we may be better off without it. Obsidian never can make that kind of narrative work it seems. If I wanna hook up with some of my companions why can't I
Personally I feel that the biggest thing holding this entire "companions: romance or no romance" argument back when it comes to RPGs is that it shouldn't even be that question being asked. The actual problem here, when I really think about it, isn't whether companions should be romancable, but rather - why are we limiting and/or targeting companions in particular? It's so cliche and feels like lazy design. Just because someone is a friend or a squad mate doesn't mean they would be romantically available or interested, but there is also the question as to why romance options should be limited to companions. I would like to see a RPG handle romance in a way where it fits the design of individual characters in the world, independent of their gameplay related status. So you could have a couple of companions who might be viable romance options, and other romance options which are available as NPCs in the world itself - depending on the sort of character you are playing. Many characters would not be viable at all because they are either unavailable or uninterested regardless of your gender, race, or traits. A few would be available regardless of those because they are much more open. Some would be available as options depending on meeting certain criteria.

That's an idea I think would be interesting to explore. Rather than starting the conversation at "so we have a party of characters, should you be able to bang them or not?" which is a boring question.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's late 2019 I think, but watch Xbox get exclusive everything for this game now. It's going to be huge (I hope) and be a new great IP for Xbox.

If the game becomes a success it's probably very likely that MS will like a sequel, with a much higher budget and something that can take on other games around that time in terms of visuals and animation. The potential is huge.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I hate to hype a game up for myself so much, but considering that I would choose KotOR II, Fallout: New Vegas, and Alpha Protocol over any three RPGs in history, and that's no hyperbole either, I would guess that this will likely be my 2019 GotY.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Any word yet from Obsidian on whether or not it'll have a third person mode/toggle? I really need to know this before I get hyped. I want one last Obsidian game to enjoy before they go exclusive, but first person only is an instant dealbreaker for me.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I only watched the reveal trailer twice and found myself humming the trailer song a few minutes ago without knowing I was lol

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people actually played Fallout in third person. The FOV and camera are so janky, I'm basically trained to use first person exclusively.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people actually played Fallout in third person. The FOV and camera are so janky, I'm basically trained to use first person exclusively.

To be fair, the combat sucks in Fallout no matter what perspective you play in. But I get motion sickness and migraines from "immersive" first person camera movement so it's an instant fail for me.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Obviously looks really interesting... usually not my cup of tea when it comes to games but I can see why you guys like it.

If it does well and I hope it does, would be a great new IP for Xbox.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
This literally what I texted my younger brother when the trailer was playing.

The whole scene of you dont have to shoot anyone bit when choosing was a clear shot right at Bethesda who went full guns for FO4 and completely forgot the other side of the originals.
Thats EXACTLY what I though as well, no way was that not a direct shot at Bethesda.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The KOTOR influences on this game aren't talked about enough.

I am so fucking happy with what I am seeing.

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought there would be another big RPG without a voiced main character after Bethesda and Bioware went in that direction.

Bless Obsidian.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Any word yet from Obsidian on whether or not it'll have a third person mode/toggle? I really need to know this before I get hyped. I want one last Obsidian game to enjoy before they go exclusive, but first person only is an instant dealbreaker for me.
No, first person only. You only get to see your character in the inventory screen and when the camera pans during idling.

I'm also a bit disappointed about this, and about the fact that the game isn't open world, just semi-open hub areas. But oh well, clearly an AA title.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No, first person only. You only get to see your character in the inventory screen and when the camera pans during idling.

I'm also a bit disappointed about this, and about the fact that the game isn't open world, just semi-open hub areas. But oh well, clearly an AA title.

Bummer. Guess I'll be skipping it, then. So tired of this trend toward RPGs either being first person only or super zoomed out isometric games where character detail doesn't matter.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Something about it feels off to me. I guess because it just looks a bit like Fallout In Space. Uninspired I guess? Art direction and the engine are a bit ho-hum as well. I guess I'll wait to see more.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Can I fuck without Romance?

Saints Row 4 style. Just gimme a fuck button.
They'll give you a brothel like PoE, and a Fisto sex bot , or you'll just be a monk with no lewd desires and that's the only character trait you can't roleplay, I am disappointed too bro, give me my waifus/husbandos

Time to commission lewds of whoever the Outer Worlds fandom ends up wishing they could bang from scruffyturtles then, Ellie the short haired chick in this game is interesting.

On a more serious note, hope that the tone of the trailer isn't what the entire game will be like with this whimsical approach, and that thjere are serious, deep and emotional moments in there as well like when you talk ideology with Caesar. Trying too hard to be funny at the expense of meaningful story is what made me uninstall Divinity Original Sin 1.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking this is one of the reasons why Microsoft purchased Obsidion. There's a ton of potential with this game.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I'm more excited for this as a franchise then I am a game. This title is clearly AA, and concessions will have to be made. But with a propper AAA budget, more staff added to the studio, and lessons learned - which will all happen as a developer under Microsoft - I foresee the franchise growing into something truly special.