The Outer Worlds announced (Obsidian, FPS RPG, XB1/PS4/Steam 2019)

Oct 27, 2017
No romance options? Cool, I always hate how forced they feel in most RPG's and how diverse they have to be to satisfy everyone's preferences. Sure, you can always ignore them, but in Bioware games for example that's missing a lot of quests and other important content.

I was wondering if this being a Microsoft owned studio it would be included free with Xbox Game pass? I skim read a Polygon article that suggested the franchise might not be MS owned.

The Game Informer video shows some juicy footage but the text size is tiny, have developers learnt nothing from Mass Effect and God of War - Obsidian please MAKE THE TEXT SIZE BIGGER.

JaseC

🎄You'll always have friends at the Grand Hotel🎄
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I was wondering if this being a Microsoft owned studio it would be included free with Xbox Game pass? I skim read a Polygon article that suggested the franchise might not be MS owned.
Microsoft owns the IP and game itself, but Take-Two has publishing rights and will do for years. Additionally, there's a good chance a sequel will be tethered to a right of first refusal clause (but if the game proves a hit, I imagine MS will just try to buy that out).

Oct 25, 2017
Who mentioned Bethesda? So as long as Obsidian does better than Bethesda, they're scot-free? I also don't follow this logic of the game focusing on story rather than visuals/animation fidelity. The writing department isn't animating the game, both things aren't mutually exclusive. I don't expect HZD or RDR2, obviously, but this even below Fallout 4s standards.

Oct 25, 2017
Who mentioned Bethesda? So as long as Obsidian does better than Bethesda, they're scot-free? I also don't follow this logic of the game focusing on story rather than visuals/animation fidelity. The writing department isn't animating the game, both things aren't mutually exclusive. I don't expect HZD or RDR2, obviously, but this even below Fallout 4s standards.
The art style alone makes it stand head and shoulders over the bland post apocalypse stylings of the last few Fall Out games.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at youtube, I think this might be the most viewed trailer from the Game Awards. It's even slightly ahead of Mortal Kombat 11 at the moment. Nice to see there's a ton of interest in this.

Oct 25, 2017
Christ on a stick this thing keeps not getting old

Poor Todd :D
After seeing Downfall, I’m always kind of disappointed by that meme, because I imagine most people who use it have never seen the movie it’s actually from and that the movie is probably more remembered for the melee than the film itself

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing Downfall, I’m always kind of disappointed by that meme, because I imagine most people who use it have never seen the movie it’s actually from and that the movie is probably more remembered for the melee than the film itself
I've seen it twice. And I would wager the meme made more people watch it than anything else.

Oct 28, 2017
Do you think that Obsidian's next project will be an Xbox Next/PC exclusive The Outer Worlds 2? Assuming Microsoft buys the publishing rights from TakeTwo.
My guess is that they're starting work on something new right now - I think I remember reading in an interview that The Outer Worlds' lead programmer's been moved onto a new project - so that'll be next, with a potential Outer Worlds sequel - assuming they get the publishing rights sorted and the first game does well - coming after that.

No idea what the new project might be--personally, I'm hoping either another new IP, or a AAA Shadowrun game. (Or, alternately, Josh Sawyer's dream game about a bike shop.)