The Outer Worlds announced (Obsidian, FPS RPG, XB1/PS4/Steam 2019)

Kvik

Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
This game will attain legendary status if you can complete it without discharging any weapon and just skill checks every motherfucker you come across.

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking Christ, please let this be the first sustainable series and hopefully franchise Obsidian gets.

They deserve one badly.

Oct 27, 2017
Was the MS official? Because it doesn't look like it at all.
The game was likely already planned for PS4, much like how We Happy Few went down. Future titles are likely to be Xbox/Windows exclusive. Unless Nintendo and Sony want Game Pass on their systems.

Like I said earlier, this makes good business sense since this generation is coming to a close and now they get PS4 sales. This game does good and hopefully future titles will try and get Playstation fans to cross over.

But the MS deal has not been made official? I can't find anything other than it's sure to happen.
It was announced at the XO event just a few weeks ago.

Jan 22, 2018
The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the Halcyon colony. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable. Source.
For all the game is doing right, that's... severely disappointing. What's the point of customizing a character if I can't switch to third person?

Oct 27, 2017
That looks like the character has a colorful way of talking or it’s dialect. “You’re really free with that tongue of yours.” Might make more sense hearing him say it.
Seems more like a mistake and should be pretty instead of powerful to me. Either way, this game looks aces and I'm super hyped that it exists.

Oct 25, 2017
This game will attain legendary status if you can complete it without discharging any weapon and just skill checks every motherfucker you come across.
Pacifist was my first playthrough on launch of New Vegas. Obsidian made a shooter where you did not have to kill anyone (and yes that includes having follower npcs kill for you, im talking total peacemaker pacifist). i have faith in Cain, Boyarsky, and Obsidian that i will be able to do that with The Outer Worlds.

Oct 27, 2017
Until we get to see more of what's actually under the hood, not sold on it being an "RPG" like Fallout, or an RPG at all. Just having a three branch dialogue tree doesn't make it one. Probably going to get it regardless though, since I'm not against another Borderlands.

Oct 26, 2017
Seems more like a mistake and should be pretty instead of powerful to me. Either way, this game looks aces and I'm super hyped that it exists.
No, it sounds right. Imagine it being said with a Wild Western twang.
Until we get to see more of what's actually under the hood, not sold on it being an "RPG" like Fallout, or an RPG at all. Having a three branch dialoge tree doesn't make it one. Probably going to get it regardless though, since I'm not against another Borderlands.
It’s literally being branded as an RPG in the press materials. You could choose to disbelieve it, but why would you?

Also on the Steam page: mention of companions that join your crew, which sound an awful like an RPG mechanic...

Oct 27, 2017
Until we get to see more of what's actually under the hood, not sold on it being an "RPG" like Fallout, or an RPG at all. Having a three branch dialogue tree doesn't make it one. Probably going to get it regardless though, since I'm not against another Borderlands.
I don't think it could be anymore clearer that this is their spiritual successor to New Vegas.

Oct 27, 2017
No, it sounds right. Imagine it being said with a Wild Western twang.

It’s literally being branded as an RPG in the press materials. You could choose to disbelieve it, but why would you?
Because "literally" a bunch of non RPGs are branded as such in the press. FFS, Monster Hunter just won best RPG. Anymore, having at least two dialogue options and a random skill tree = "RPG!!!". Like I said, they have my money anyway.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Until we get to see more of what's actually under the hood, not sold on it being an "RPG" like Fallout, or an RPG at all. Just having a three branch dialogue tree doesn't make it one. Probably going to get it regardless though, since I'm not against another Borderlands.
What makes you think Obsidian or Tim Cain would make a Borderlands game?

Oct 28, 2017
With Todd Howard and company showing such absolute disdain for the Fallout franchise....this was like the perfect time and place to create something similar but different and fucking kick them in the face. Way to go Obsidian!

Oct 26, 2017
Because "literally" a bunch of non RPGs are branded as such in the press. FFS, Monster Hunter just won best RPG. Anymore, having at least two dialogue options and a random skill tree = "RPG!!!". Like I said, they have my money anyway.
And? You’re arbitrarily deciding that this upcoming game that calls itself an RPG, has skill checks like an RPG, and other mechanics like dialogue trees and companion characters common to RPGs, and whose creative leadership have a long pedigree of RPGs, is not an RPG for reasons. Which is pretty strange.