The Outer Worlds announced (Obsidian, FPS RPG, XB1/PS4/Steam 2019)

Oct 25, 2017
The production values look great for a 'AA' game, but I do wonder how the budget will impact the scope of the game.

I also don't love the hammy-ness level of the humor. The original Fallout was dark with a sprinkling of absurdist humor, not the other way around. Hopefully they're playing up the humor for the trailer but the game itself will have more of an emotional range.

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Bioware:
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
KOTOR
Jade Empire
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age 2
Mass Effect 3
Dragon Age 3

All real RPGs (sort of). But yeah, it's totally impossible to think Obsidian is making a non RPG, especially when they aren't the only force behind it now.
After first ME and DAO, the rest were barely RPGs. Some were good games (ME2) but overall, Obsidian got better at dialogue/skills/etc... vs late Bioware.

Oct 25, 2017
This is EXACTLY what I wanted. New Vegas meets Mass Effect with meaningful dialogue options, tons of room for player choice, and companions with fleshed out back stories and moldable relationships. It's instantly my most wanted [confirmed] 2019 release.

Oct 25, 2017
The Research Triangle
Really? I actually expected far worse from Obsidian.
Haha. Yeah, I don't know. I'm a huge space opera/adventure diehard, but this... I don't know, kitsch? Yeah. Kitsch is the word for it, I guess. (I'm exhausted. lol) But yeah, the kitsch, the intentional cheekiness of sorts, it's never really my scene.

Like I said, though. I'm still there Day 1! I have absolute confidence I'll dig it anyway.

Oct 31, 2017
but this... I don't know, kitsch? Yeah. Kitsch is the word for it, I guess.

the intentional cheekiness of sorts, it's never really my scene
Yeah, that I can agree with. I hope the Borderlands-like, in-your-face humor will not be the main vibe from the final product and it's mostly there for promotional purpose.

Jun 7, 2018
So this is Tim Cain's Fallout spiritual successor that people have been talking about for years? Or something new?

Either way, I'm loving the retro futuristic vibes and the light hearted tone, definitely on my watch list.

Rumblebones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My goodness, I have seen the trailer 10 times by now. I like it more each time.

I can see the obvious influences of Fallout and Borderlands, but I also get a KOTOR vibe from the spaceships and what looks like travel cutscenes.

Can’t believe this is coming next year. Microsoft are going to have an amazing E3.

Hopefully Obsidian’s second team and inXile’s teams follow up with really dope RPGs as well, with Playground’s take on Fable to mix things up.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks promising. I always forget how much people dislike the first person perspective on this board lol.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
This is it guys. This is the Fallout 1, 2 and Arcanum successor we've been waiting for.
Right on the heels of Bethesda shitting the bed with the Fallout franchise, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky swoop in to pick up the pieces. I simply cannot wait.

Oct 31, 2017
So this is Tim Cain's Fallout spiritual successor that people have been talking about for years? Or something new?
Not sure why people keep saying it.
It doesn't resemble modern Fallout that much, and it surely doesn't resemble the Fallout games Tim Cain actually directed.
That said, both the directors for this game were also the lead for Vampire Bloodlines, and GOD if I'm hoping some of that will show in this one, way more than I care about any Fallout resemblance.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Won't hold my breath for even a tacked on third person perspective a la ES/FO, but I think I'll still get this. Space Fallout super interests me.

Oct 27, 2017
Whewwww what a pleasant surprise, loved New Vegas but this is so much more exciting than just having Obsidian do a new Fallout for Bethesda. I can't wait to see more of it.