• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mendoza

Oct 29, 2017
Columbus
This is it guys. This is the Fallout 1, 2 and Arcanum successor we've been waiting for.
Right on the heels of Bethesda shitting the bed with the Fallout franchise, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky swoop in to pick up the pieces. I simply cannot wait.

Oct 31, 2017
So this is Tim Cain's Fallout spiritual successor that people have been talking about for years? Or something new?
Not sure why people keep saying it.
It doesn't resemble modern Fallout that much, and it surely doesn't resemble the Fallout games Tim Cain actually directed.
That said, both the directors for this game were also the lead for Vampire Bloodlines, and GOD if I'm hoping some of that will show in this one, way more than I care about any Fallout resemblance.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Won't hold my breath for even a tacked on third person perspective a la ES/FO, but I think I'll still get this. Space Fallout super interests me.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This looks so fucking good. I can't wait. Day one.

This is the type of game I want more of. Single player western RPGs. Screw co-op and open, living worlds, and always online bullshit.

luminous

Oct 27, 2017
Whewwww what a pleasant surprise, loved New Vegas but this is so much more exciting than just having Obsidian do a new Fallout for Bethesda. I can't wait to see more of it.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
It doesn't resemble modern Fallout that much, and it surely doesn't resemble the Fallout games Tim Cain actually directed.
That said, both the directors for this game were also the lead for Vampire Bloodlines, and GOD if I'm hoping some of that will show in this one, way more than I care about any Fallout resemblance.

Probably because of the retro futurism in both Fallout and this game, Tim Cain and Boyarsky were always saying how they hope to make something similar to Fallout in the future, think I read that somewhere on the Codex. So probably that's why people are thinking it.

Could be not, I always assumed that whatever they would do, it would be isometric RTwP or TB.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, a proper spiritual successor to Fallout. Sorry, Mr. Howard. Can't wait for it, looks great so far!

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Curious about the shooting mechanics. Fallout 3 really didn't feel good as a shooter to me. Other than that, from the games announced at TGA, this is probably the one I'm most looking forward to.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
What will happen to Outer World 2? Does Obsidian owns the IP or 2k?

Game looks good and more of a sequel to Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Last edited:

Mendoza

Oct 29, 2017
Columbus

How does it not? No, it's not a "post apocalyptic setting", but it has that melding of worlds that their older games have. Fallout 1 & 2 with it's 1950's Future Americana, and Arcanum with the Tolken fantasy plus Steam Punk.
This game has a similar clashing of two worlds with the Sci-Fi future blended with 1900's Western imagery from the tonics and creams from the Autie Cleo's billboards, and the saloon like architecture.

Fuck, even Cree Summer Francks (voice of Tandi from FO1) was in the trailer, complete with jump cuts of "talking heads".

You either are thinking too literally on what a spiritual successor should look like or have no critical eye for this stuff.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to see more of this game ASAP.

This has supplanted Gears 5 as my most anticipated title next year.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I hope it isn't as derivative of Fallout as it looked. It makes sense that Obsidian would want to create an IP where they could still play with Fallout-like mechanics, but why not putting in a more immediately interesting world? We Happy Few, for example, was a Fallout-like whose world and its story were captivating (it was the rest of the game that let it down).

Oct 31, 2017
Well, it's a FPS, for a start.
I honestly don't think even they think the resemblance is that strong. I'm going to guess that namedropping Fallout just gets them more attention than saying "This is basically the same setting used by The Precursors, that russian FPS-RPG that twelve people played".

And the "defining traits of Fallout" that I'm "not critical enough to spot" according to you are shared by all the other games I mentioned, anyway.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What will happen to Outer World 2? Does Obsidian owns the IP or 2k?

Most likely scenario is that Take Two have the right of first refusal on any sequel.

Microsoft will have to work something out with them on that end.

I'm optimistic they'll secure the rights because it doesn't do Private Division any good to sit on them, unless they're trying to discourage partners from accepting buyouts, in which case things can get tricky.

Most likely scenario is that the contracts already had contingents for buyouts. These corporations tend to be very thorough.

For now, I just hope this first game is at least half as good as it looks.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These madmen... they actually developed a Fallout spiritual successor and not only that, it actually looks like a damn good game on its own gameplay wise unlike the mess that is Fallout 4.

A shame that doesn't have a third person option after the supposed job listing we got several months ago, but I'm still super interested in this.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a looker, but yeah, this will probaby be a great game. Reminded me a lot of Fallout New Vegas and I love the Sci-Fi-aspect.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't in any way change the gameplay though. Can't imagine that kind of difference would make one go from "*vomits* Very disappointing" to being excited for the game

Only crazy people played in that. Not even mods get the Beth engine TPP working right. Still barely serviceable in FO4.

I don't know. My guess is people like to see their character or something? Outer Worlds being a FPS doesn't bother me.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish there was third person option, but I'm a-okay with it being FPV only.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
So kind of like Fallout, but shifted 20 years forward in terms of pop culture/art style and also in space.

I'm in.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Something special should be done for the Xbox version where we can carry characters stats and stories to possible future sequels.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This game immediately jumped to the top of my "most anticipated games of 2019." Seeing the trailer tonight and seeing the additional information about the gameplay mechanics has made me SUPER excited for it!

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't in any way change the gameplay though. Can't imagine that kind of difference would make one go from "*vomits* Very disappointing" to being excited for the game

Vomiting is a bit much. But I'd go from being disappointed and probably not buying the game to excited and definitely buying if they announced a TPP mode.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Cain and Boyarsky on this IP makes me so fucking happy and excited.

I hope Sawyer and Heins collaborate for another project together.

Obsidian has 4 capable and proven directors that now have the resources to make what they want. It's insane to think what Microsoft have on their hands now.
I hope that Obsidian really does great on this game for so many reasons.

1. It is what it would do for Bethesda. No way I see Bethesda sitting still with competition from CP Projekt Red and an Obsidian that will have the backing of Microsoft. It also looks like BioWare may get back to form with Dragon Age and Anthem if they perform.

2. It is a great way for them to bow out as a third party developer and as someone that is invested on Microsoft platform I really want to see them successful. I also think that Sawyer and Heins should move to another project, that maybe Obsidian hire expand and have another team dedicated to making RPG's, but not Isometric. Obsidian now has an opportunity to show the world that they belong up there as one of the three top RPG development houses.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
The only sad thing here, is Chris Avellone not being a part of it, he writes some of the most memorable characters in RPG's, hope he can mend fences with Obsidian one day.