• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This looks so awesome. Crazy to see these guys make something so incredibly similar to the Fallout formula. I'm guessing relations between Bethesda and Obsidian didn't end up going so well in the end?

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? The VAST majority of rpgs have been either third person or had the option to toggle to whichever one you prefer.

Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Skyrim
Fallout
Horizon: ZD
The Witcher
Zelda: BOTW
Dark Souls/Bloodborne
Gothic
Risen
Two Worlds
etc.

The main exceptions to this have been Deus Ex and Borderlands.
The Elder Scrolls and Fallout (since 3) are first person games. Yes you can toggle to third person, but that is not how the game is supposed to be played and it feels tacked on in every both of those series.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
??? They've always been there. They just didn't have the budget management or expertise for the technical side. Bethesda has made all of two (three, if I'm being nice) really good RPGs, and CDProjekt has made two and a half pretty good RPGs. Obsidian has made more actual RPGs than either of them, both narratively and consequence related.

I agree they've generally been up there but, Obsidian has been around for longer than CD Projekt Red and they've been making generally smaller scope games or ones that borrow the engine and a lot of assets from other games like they did with KOTOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas. Also, when did CD Projekt make half of a game?

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
VTM Bloodlines had a third person option maybe this will as well

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? The VAST majority of rpgs have been either third person or had the option to toggle to whichever one you prefer.

Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Skyrim
Fallout
Horizon: ZD
The Witcher
Zelda: BOTW
Dark Souls/Bloodborne

Gothic
Risen
Two Worlds
etc.

The main exceptions to this have been Deus Ex and Borderlands.

I mean, if you really want to go out of your way to include games that could only be considered an "RPG" in the most basic ways possible...

Bioshock
Dying Light
Dishonored
Prey
Shadow Warrior
Far Cry
Dark Messiah

And maybe this is considered cheating (feel free to exclude it), since I did say console specific, but there's also S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Maybe you're right in that it's not quite as skewed as I initially surmised, but all my point really was is that no one should really be surprised that it's first-person. Nothing wrong with being disappointed of that either.

Also, while we don't know exactly how similar this may or may not actually turn out to be compared to Fallout, Fallout wasn't strictly an FPS. It had V.A.T.S. too, which gave it more of a pseudo Real-Time with Pause playstyle if you so chose.

I agree they've generally been up there but, Obsidian has been around for longer than CD Projekt Red and they've been making generally smaller scope games or ones that borrow the engine and a lot of assets from other games like they did with KOTOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas. Also, when did CD Projekt make half of a game?

I'm just being facetious. Many really dislike the first The Witcher and actively call it garbage, and not worth playing. Consequently, I found the first two games to be superior RPGs than the third, even though I thought the third was a massive improvement over them on a technical, graphical and narrative level. Yes, Obsidian had more time to produce more games, yet at the same time, CDPR producing what are considered "two" really great RPGs in a shorter period doesn't make them the best around. It just means they're the current hot shit, but longevity matters too. Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: NV alone put them above their peers, and they have more than that going for them despite the borrowed engines.

Last edited:

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
200px-Troika_Games_%28logo%29.png

I've been following this game for a couple years now, and it's great to finally see it. I'm glad Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky have a chance to continue Troika's legacy.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Elder Scrolls and Fallout (since 3) are first person games. Yes you can toggle to third person, but that is not how the game is supposed to be played and it feels tacked on in every both of those series.

I, and many others, play them in third person. Only toggle to first when doing magic/range combat otherwise it's always third person. That's the beauty of making it an option, you can play it how you want and others can play how they want, this isn't something that has to be "one or the other."

I mean, if you really want to go out of your way to include games that could only be considered an "RPG" in the most basic ways possible...

Bioshock
Dying Light
Dishonored
Prey
Shadow Warrior
Far Cry
Dark Messiah

And maybe this is considered cheating (feel free to exclude it), since I did say console specific, but there's also S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Maybe you're right in that it's not quite as skewed as I initially surmised, but all my point really was is that no one should really be surprised that it's first-person. Nothing wrong with being disappointed of that either.

Also, while we don't know exactly how similar this may or may not actually turn out to be compared to Fallout, Fallout wasn't strictly an FPS. It had V.A.T.S. too, which gave it more of a pseudo Real-Time with Pause playstyle if you so chose.

A lot of us are surprised by Obsidian games are generally either third person or isometric view.

Also this is a game coming from Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, who made the cult hit Vampire: TMB, which was also a third person/1st person toggable rpg.

So having a strict first person only viewpoint is something that Obsidian as a studio doesn't tend to push out.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Damn, that trailer hyped me up pretty good.

All these people complaining about the first person perspective, jesus... feels like a deja vu.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the coolest games of the show, Obsidian stay winning and show what agood scifi RPG looks like.

Oct 27, 2017
I was already hyped then I saw that dialogue screenshot with a skill check and remembered how much I missed that stuff in Fallout 4, cannot wait for this.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I, and many others, play them in third person. Only toggle to first when doing magic/range combat otherwise it's always third person. That's the beauty of making it an option, you can play it how you want and others can play how they want, this isn't something that has to be "one or the other."

A lot of us are surprised by Obsidian games are generally either third person or isometric view.

Also this is a game coming from Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, who made the cult hit Vampire: TMB, which was also a third person/1st person toggable rpg.

So having a strict first person only viewpoint is something that Obsidian as a studio doesn't tend to push out.

I know those games have a third-person toggle, and I realize that some actually play with that perspective, but come on. Even though the option is there, you can't honestly believe that it makes them any less an FPS first and foremost. They clearly play better with that perspective...as if they were primarily designed around it. Do we even yet know for sure that this won't have a similar option?

Damn, that trailer hyped me up pretty good.

All these people complaining about the first person perspective, jesus... feels like a deja vu.

Can only speak for myself, but the perspective alone heavily restricts the combat options. This is also why switching it to third-person doesn't really rectify its primary issue. Some think first-person makes a game more immersive (and it does sometimes), but I've always found the combat to typically be too restrictive because of it. Even if you have numerous options like in Deus Ex or Dishonored, it still plays like a first-person shooter more often than not anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
For a moment I thought this was the game we got free on Mixer earlier this year but alas, that was Outer Wilds. Really excited for this either way, proper RPGs are always nice

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I know those games have a third-person toggle, and I realize that some actually play with that perspective, but come on. Even though the option is there, you can't honestly believe that it makes them any less an FPS first and foremost. They clearly play better with that perspective...as if they were primarily designed around it. Do we even yet know for sure that this won't have a similar option?

Can only speak for myself, but the perspective alone heavily restricts the combat options. This is also why switching it to third-person doesn't really rectify its primary issue. Some think first-person makes a game more immersive (and it does sometimes), but I've always found the combat to typically be too restrictive because of it. Even if you have numerous options like in Deus Ex or Dishonored, it still plays like a first-person shooter more often than not anyway.
Don't care about none of that. It's either I can play in 3rd person or not...

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I wasn't very excited for too much in 2019 (just Resident Evil 2 and maybe one or two other games), but this has skyrocketed to the top of my list and looks right up my alley.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Highlight of the show for me. Man, this is the game I've always wanted. Always was hoping Obsidian would make another game like New Vegas again.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
The art style is less appealing to me than fallout, it kinda looks like borderlands and i dont like that at all.

Im sure it will be leagues ahead of both f4 and f76 in terms of writing tho.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Looks interesting, for me personally more interesting than Fallout 4 was and 76 ever will be. But that's my subjective opinion.

Keeping my eye on it. ^^

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ever since Obsidian launched Fallout: New Vegas, the franchise has never felt the same. This sentiment skyrocketed when Fallout 4 was released, as many of the pillars that made New Vegas so exciting, rewarding, and immersive seemed to have been forgotten about.

That's not to say that Fallout 4 is bad, per se, it's just that a game with the Fallout branding that hyper-focused on world exploration, settlement creation, and modding weapons rather than character & world building just doesn't sit too well with players who have been playing the series from the very start.

Based even on the little information we have on the game and on Obsidian's reputation as an RPG developer, it seems that The Outer Worlds could be what Fallout 4 should have been; A sci-fi action RPG with a character that you create, with a backstory that you want, with choices that you can decide by yourself.

Hopefully, Obsidian takes this IP and runs far with it, because many of us who felt let down by Fallout 4 and even more by Bethesda because of Fallout 76 and its comically bad PR nightmare would love to sink hundreds of hours into a new singleplayer RPG.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might include co-op or multiplayer based on their job openings as well.

Network Programmer.

Obsidian is looking for experienced programmers to develop network and multiplayer gameplay systems using Unreal Engine.

Our ideal candidate has a strong work ethic, outstanding problem-solving skills, the ability to deliver on time, and works well in a team environment.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
It looked really good. I have some fear for their technical ability to deliver this grand experience on a polished level, but I'm super stoked for them to succeed.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm just being facetious. Many really dislike the first The Witcher and actively call it garbage, and not worth playing. Consequently, I found the first two games to be superior RPGs than the third, even though I thought the third was a massive improvement over them on a technical, graphical and narrative level. Yes, Obsidian had more time to produce more games, yet at the same time, CDPR producing what are considered "two" really great RPGs in a shorter period doesn't make them the best around. It just means they're the current hot shit, but longevity matters too. Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: NV alone put them above their peers, and they have more than that going for them despite the borrowed engines.

Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition has an 86 metacritic rating and an 85 user score. It is well regarded on RPG Codex as well. Witcher 3 > Witcher 1 > Witcher 2 for me personally. Generally what I've found is people who say that it's "garbage" didn't play it or dropped it after the first couple hours.

NWN2 wasn't that good, the Mask of the Betrayer is but i'd easily put KOTOR 2 ahead of vanilla NWN2.

We'll see what CDPR is doing with Cyberpunk 2077 because that is a game that has a lot of potential and they have the capital to make games that Obsidian isn't able to, at least for the time being. Cyberpunk 2077 could be a new benchmark as an AAA RPG.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

You highly underestimate the amount of people that use third person in these games,

I mean look at some polls/read some threads about it, there's plenty of people that play that way in some form,

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.c...5/do-you-play-in-first-person-or-third-person
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.820396-Poll-Skyrim-in-3rd-Person

If you read that you'll see a lot of people that play in third person, and many who will toggle between both depending on the situation, 3rd person for exploration, 1st person for combat, etc. That's why making it an option is so important to Bethesda and why they usually offer it, it's something their fans use.

As I said, this isn't a "1st OR 3rd person" thing, you don't have to make a game strictly one way or the other, they can make it an option and appease both 1st person fans and 3rd person fans and make both sides happy.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This ...Looks....Absolutely....Incredible!!

Right up my street.

and people were saying Obsidian are no longer relevant.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The humor in that trailer was pretty damn lame but man I'm so in for this game. Great devs and been waiting on a big 3d game from them again. It's been a minute