• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I don't want this to come off as sounding like an ass but I'm pretty sure gabe has more information than this example.

You don't think Gabe has more info on this based on years of research?

I guess? Usually I'd agree, but I don't know a single person who pirated something for any reason other than price. Sure that's anecdotal, but is he seriously arguing that price isn't a major factor when pirating something?

I don't buy it.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I sure am glad Strauss Zelnick can afford to buy another yacht thanks to Epic's Fortnite dollars.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
wut?
it's not comparable, like at all
steam doesn't moneyhat games from other launchers
Wait, what games have valve moneyhatted for exclusitivity deals?
??

Valve buying exclusives? I don't think so.

We all know that Epic is. (sure they'll have humble bundle keys eventually......)
How the hell is Steam to blame for this??? Steam never locked any developer onto their store. If the developer or publisher decides to sell on the Steam store only, it's on them...not cuz Valve told them to.
Steam does it way less to be sure. I guess I'm referencing Halo but even that will be on the MS store. So please don't take my shot at Steam as too serious. Mainly aimed at Epic, square on the nose.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I didn't know that eroding monopoly control of the enthusiast PC games space was a "fuck the consumers" move. Long term I want more players in the space as it benefits everyone, consumers and developers alike. That Epic is giving visibility and some funding to developers along the way in exchange for timed exclusivity doesn't bother me as a consumer. I'll go where the content is.

Are you thinking this through?

For e.g. Outer Worlds instead of having 20 stores and 20 different prices for consumer to choose from consumer now will have 1 store and 1 price. How that is eroding some mythical monopoly Steam has when it establishes just that, actual monopoly on title?

Also Obsidian was bank rolled by 2K to make Outer Worlds, they are owned by one of wealthiest corporations in the world. Something tells me they didn't need that extra cash from Epic...

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
It is when everything you do is against the consumers.

My choice of controller? Gone.
My choice to share my library with my wife? Gone.
Choice to play it on Linux? Gone.
Choice to play it as a Chinese? Gone.
Choice to easily play it on my TV without duplicating my screen or doing something else? Gone.
Choice to stream it to an android device and play it in my bathtub? Gone.
Choice to buy it on authorized 3rd party websites that compete with each other to get a good price? Gone.
Rami Ismail: "sucks to be you".

And sucks for everyone who would like to have some decent features (other than C O M P E T I T I O N) to better experience their games. .

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that eroding monopoly control of the enthusiast PC games space was a "fuck the consumers" move. Long term I want more players in the space as it benefits everyone, consumers and developers alike. That Epic is giving visibility and some funding to developers along the way in exchange for timed exclusivity doesn't bother me as a consumer. I'll go where the content is.
Good thing steam isn't a monopoly.

Say it with me.

Piracy.

Is.

Theft.
It's never been nor will it ever be, it's always gonna be copyright infringement.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see more competition in the PC platform space. Also happy to see developers getting what I assume to be good minimum sales deals for the exclusivity window.

Won't somebody think of competition!

Steam, being successful, isn't a 'monopoly'. There's other alternative places to play. I don't mind Epic throwing their hat into the ring.

I do, however, mind Epic tossing absurd amounts of money to get exclusivity deals. This is artificial competition and ends up hurting their fanbase, especially when they come to find out this is the case weeks before release.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Reminder, Obsidian added achievements to the steam version just an hour before this was announced, so I doubt they knew.
What a ridiculous thing to say, of course they knew.

You realize the game will still launch on Steam eventually, right? Adding achievements to that version isn't indicative of anything and seems like a non-sequitur that has no relevance in this conversation.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Epic AND Steam can fuck off with this exclusive bullshit. PC is the most open platform my ass.

How the hell is Steam to blame for this??? Steam never locked any developer onto their store. If the developer or publisher decides to sell on the Steam store only, it's on them...not cuz Valve told them to.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess? Usually I'd agree, but I don't know a single person who pirated something for any reason other than price. Sure that's anecdotal, but is he seriously arguing that price isn't a major factor when pirating something?

I don't buy it.

I have friends who decided not to pirate games in order to have access to Steam cloud and universal controller options so he could use his Switch Pro controller.

Steam therefore provided better service than the piracy could provide him.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I don't see what all the hubub is about, I'm just excited to play the game. I don't mind having another launcher if it's what I need to do.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Steam does it way less to be sure. I guess I'm referencing Halo but even that will be on the MS store. So please don't take my shot at Steam as too serious. Mainly aimed at Epic, square on the nose.
way less? steam doesn't do it at all
if developers decide to make their game steam only that's because they wanted to

Staff Post - Advocating piracy will result in a ban

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Reminder: Endorsing piracy or declaring your intent to commit piracy is not acceptable here under any circumstances. There's been a lot of that in these threads and if it continues the ban lengths will increase as necessary.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Steams monopoly didn't negatively effect the consumers experience

That's a counterfactual that you can't know. Generally markets perform better when there are more players. Steam has rarely been pressured to improve or diversify their offerings, and some of the major advancements came in response to the little competition that exists. To cite one example, Steam only started offering refunds after Origin had established the practice, and Steam's refund policy still lags Origin's.

On the developer side, I can already see the positive effects of competition in pressuring Valve to start adjusting their cut on sales.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much my thoughts on it. If the game I want to buy is only on EGS I'll buy it from there. Obviously I'd rather buy it on Steam if given the choice due to the difference in platform features but that's why they aren't giving that choice at the moment.

It's your right as a consumer to buy whatever you want however you want on whatever store you want, but let's not pretend this is a positive move for a consumer. I use plenty of other PC digital stores and I tend to buy games where the benefits for me are I'm no steam loyalist but in this case other than the fact they have locked it to the EPIC store giving me 0 choice whats the pro?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
They are doing a great favour to my wallet and making it easier to decide which games to buy on Q2 2019.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Over 700 hours logged into New Vegas on Steam; Outerworlds was probably at the top of wishlist within moments of the store page going up on Steam.

Fuck off Epic! You're not going to get me to buy a game on your storefront and the bullying only cements my stance.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's your right as a consumer to buy whatever you want however you want on whatever store you want, but let's not pretend this is a positive move for a consumer. I use plenty of other PC digital stores and I tend to buy games where the benefits for me are I'm no steam loyalist but in this case other than the fact they have locked it to the EPIC store giving me 0 choice whats the pro?

I've never said this was positive for the consumer. I'm both a developer and a consumer and personally I care more about game developers getting paid properly and not having to work insane hours for little reward. Steam as it is for an indie dev is a roulette wheel.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
and a big nope goes out to Obsidian for taking Epic's moneyhat
Super duper extra off-my-list and maybe for good. Man I'm fucking disappointed

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
That's a counterfactual that you can't know. Generally markets perform better when there are more players. Steam has rarely been pressured to improve or diversify their offerings, and some of the major advancements came in response to the little competition that exists.

What is this bs?
Steam last year offered:

SteamLink for Android
Proton, so 99% of Windows Games can be played on Linux
Added official controller support for new controllers (Switch pro)
Working on VR hardware and the ecosystem
Publisher/dev pages.

In the years before I got Family Sharing. I got Steam Music. Steam Workshop for Mods.

"Steam hasnt been pressured to improve" while literally last year so many tools, apps and improvements were released for the consumer.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
OK, so why doesnt Steam just lower their percentage to what Epic is charging?

its financially impossible to provide a lower percentage to developers/publishers long term while giving them all the features that comes with a storefront. you either shift the burden on the consumers by charging a processing fee or raise the percentage on developers. Epic is eating the cost here but its not going to be long where they decide what route they'll take to keep things afloat.

developers will learn to suck it up, people aren't going to pay for a game + taxes and additional processing fee.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a counterfactual that you can't know. Generally markets perform better when there are more players. Steam has rarely been pressured to improve or diversify their offerings, and some of the major advancements came in response to the little competition that exists. To cite one example, Steam only started offering refunds after Origin had established the practice, and Steam's refund policy still lags Origin's.

On the developer side, I can already see the positive effects of competition in pressuring Valve to start adjusting their cut on sales.

Steam implemented refund because they were sued IIRC.

Epic isn't bringing anything new on the consumer side and they already stated that it wasn't their strategy.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I didn't know that eroding monopoly control of the enthusiast PC games space was a "fuck the consumers" move.
Selling the game on Steam, GMG, Humble, CDKeys, etc. isn't a monopoly, and allows for price competition.
Selling the game only on Epic Games Store is the monopoly, and will have a fixed price.

And that's not even the only anti-consumer aspect of this. I can't play Subnautica on EGS because my controller won't work, and I can't family-share the game with my spouse. Not to mention the unethical sniffing of Steam data from EGS.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I have friends who decided not to pirate games in order to have access to Steam cloud and universal controller options so he could use his Switch Pro controller.

Steam therefore provided better service than the piracy could provide him.

This is not what I'm talking about though. One of the major reasons I haven't pirated a game in years is because I love the convenience and the features the storefronts I use offer. But I'm also able to actually afford getting the games as well. Sales also help.

For many people, they decide they can't afford to spend whatever amount of money on games and choose to "play for free" instead.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Official Staff Communication
Reminder: Endorsing piracy or declaring your intent to commit piracy is not acceptable here under any circumstances. There's been a lot of that in these threads and if it continues the ban lengths will increase as necessary.
Hey, quick question. Mentioning past history (far past) of pirating won't lead to a ban, right?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

But EGS offers no improvements for customers? Until they do why shouldn't people complain?

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Man this is just terrible. Thank fuck that TOW is going to be on the Windows Store at least, I'm not going to be spending any money on the Epic store out of sheer principle at this point.