• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
20F outside, a nice toasty 73F in my apartment.

The 2080Ti serves double duty- not only can you have fun gaming, you can heat your home as well.

Can't wait for the 3080, I'll never have to turn on the heat again.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
This is why I game less during the summer. Nothing fun about sweating through your clothes while sitting.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
God I'm glad it's finally getting colder at night. Trying to game with my Vega 56 during the summer was hell in my poor apartment.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
My 2080Ti is so loud I have to play with Bose noise-cancelling headphones. I have literally turned down graphics settings just to make it quieter.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 will do that too for half the visual fidelity of your heating bill.

...Isn't 3080 supposedly coming on a smaller/more efficient process (7nm)?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC gaming in the winter is the best time to gam.

hTqvsrl_d.jpg

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
i like to go to youtube and keep a fullscreen vid of a fireplace on my second screen just to really seal the deal

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Geeze...Now I feel better about getting the 2080 ti Seahawk. That thing is ridiculously cool and quiet.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Hell in the summer though =P

This is why I stick to mid-range cards like the xx70 (typically better thermals unless you want to spend a fortune on a really well cooled high end card), and have an obsession with air flow and fan quality (Noctua). Even under high load my PC is quieter than most gaming PCs when they're idling.

Oct 27, 2017
I save demanding titles for the winter and pretty much spend the whole summer playing smaller indie/2d games that aren't going to cause my graphics card to work hard enough that the fan comes on. I don't bother on the ps4/ps4 pro because those sound like jet engines regardless of what I do.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
a friend of mine doesnt have a heater in his room so he just lets VR run for a little bit and his small room gets nice and toasty

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I shouldn't've replaced the thermal paste in my 1080 Ti. Under 100% load now it just barely touches 70C with a quiet fan curve, when I used to have to really bring up the fan speed in order to keep it below 80C.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
My 2080Ti is so loud I have to play with Bose noise-cancelling headphones. I have literally turned down graphics settings just to make it quieter.

Almost same here with my 1080ti. A good pair of closed-back headphones (Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro in my case) is enough, but it's still a bummer how fucking loud the thing gets, especially since lowering settings doesn't help much if I want to play games at 60+ fps. And why wouldn't I, I have a 144hz G-sync monitor.

Next GPU I buy I'm definitely gonna pay extra for actual silence.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I shouldn't've replaced the thermal paste in my 1080 Ti. Under 100% load now it just barely touches 70C with a quiet fan curve, when I used to have to really bring up the fan speed in order to keep it below 80C.
That means it's more effective at dumping heat from the GPU into your room due to improved thermal transfer.
Adding thermal paste doesn't reduce power consumption of the card.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I have the standard EVGA 2080Ti Black. I didn't do anything to it- just overclock a little. Works fine. Just hot and loud.

But I gamestream to my Shield in 4k in the other room so I don't notice the sound.

Oct 28, 2017
Lowering the game resolution from 4K to 1080p usually helps in keeping temperature cool, I also suggest using an actual wattmeter to measure how much wattage the PC/Display/Speakers are using and stop relying on TDPs quoted by CPU and GPU manufacturers.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Then something's not right because the card is ridiculously quiet! Are you using a small case or have only stock CPU cooling which could be adding to the heat around the GPU? Or do you live in a very hot country?
So just to be clear, under normal loads - older games, less demanding games etc, I literally can't hear the card at all. But games like Gears 5, Metro Exodus, that's where we're into jet engine territory.

I have a Fractal case with all Noctua fans, although a fairly relaxed profile on them (tied to CPU temp) because I was trying to reduce noise. So I generally can't hear the case or CPU fans either.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A GPU with better cooling or even a full water loop will definitely help with noise levels and it will be able to transfer heat more efficient from your parts (lower GPU temp).
But no matter how much you invest into pc cooling, the hardware parts you are using will always generate the same amount of thermal energy that needs to be transferred into your room.
A better cooling solution will heat up your room just the same.

2080ti is a massive chip, with shocking 4352 shaders (12nm), 11gb of very fast video memory and relative high clockspeeds.
15.5 tflops of performance at 1800 MHz, which all cards seem to be reaching. No wonder it is producing a lot of heat.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
There something wrong with outer worlds and heating up cards. It's like those uncapped fps menus that shoot up to 9999fps but it's in game and 60-70.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
That means it's more effective at dumping heat from the GPU into your room due to improved thermal transfer.
Adding thermal paste doesn't reduce power consumption of the card.
For clarity, the factory thermal paste job was extremely bad. As in, around an eighth of the surface area of the die straight-up wasn't covered by paste. Because of that, I had to underclock and undervolt the card in order to avoid a thermal throttle, and eventually popped it open and repasted the die.

I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing, but the card is generating less heat now. It's not just thermal transfer.
I have the standard EVGA 2080Ti Black. I didn't do anything to it- just overclock a little. Works fine. Just hot and loud.

But I gamestream to my Shield in 4k in the other room so I don't notice the sound.
You can always reduce voltage. In my experience, GPUs always take a little more power than they actually need under max load, so play around with it like you would an overclock and you'll find the sweet spot. I play around with curves in MSI Afterburner.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's dissipating the same heat though. Same power consumption. The newer paste is more transmissive and needs a lower temperature to dissipate the ~250W.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
lol it's true, love it in the winter but when summer hits, pls kill me.

my old graphics card used to kick out a ton of heat but that was more so cause it was old, now my new one, not so much.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
For clarity, the factory thermal paste job was extremely bad. As in, around an eighth of the surface area of the die straight-up wasn't covered by paste. Because of that, I had to underclock and undervolt the card in order to avoid a thermal throttle, and eventually popped it open and repasted the die.
I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing, but the card is generating less heat now. It's not just thermal transfer.
The card is either going to be generating the exact same amount of heat, or more if it can now run at higher clockspeeds.

Let's compare a GPU running at 250W with three cooling solutions:
  1. Low-end/reference GPU cooler, with the card running at the 83C limit (but not downclocking).
  2. High-end air cooler, with the card running at 60C.
  3. Overkill water-cooling loop with the card running at 30C.
Now for the sake of argument, let's say that a 250W GPU produces 250W of heat.
If the GPU is running at the same clocks/power consumption with all three cooling setups, it's still dumping 250W of heat into the room.

The difference is that each cooling system is progressively better at transferring that heat away from the GPU core, and probably sounds quieter too.
The GPU itself runs cooler, but the room is going to be just as warm with either cooling solution because all three cards are producing 250W of heat.

What's more likely though, is that the GPUs which have a better cooling system are going to be pushed to running at higher clockspeeds/power consumption - so they will actually heat up the room more, even though the GPU die is running cooler.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
What's more likely though, is that the GPUs which have a better cooling system are going to be pushed to running at higher clockspeeds/power consumption - so they will actually heat up the room more, even though the GPU die is running cooler.
That's assuming that I focus entirely on overclocking instead of undervolting, though. A few additional frames matters less to me than the heat of my die, since the two fans on my card get pretty loud when the die gets hot. I prefer less noise to better performance, anyway, since with a 1080 Ti, there's not a whole lot of games I struggle to run, and I'm not a stickler for locked framerates on my VRR monitor.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
My 2080 runs super cool and quiet, I've got a fractel refine noise canceling tower though.

Unless I turn the gpu fans to max manually you can barely hear my computer.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

If your model is based on the reference-PCB then either slap the Arctic Xtreme III or IV on it and enjoy silence: https://www.arctic.ac/de_en/accelero-xtreme-iii.html

I did the same with my GTX 1070 and never hear it even once since, the fans stays at like 35% even under full load with temps barely hitting 62°C.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason one of my case fans has started rattling or something whenever it's on low RPMs, so I've now just got it going full blast all the time, which I think has actually improved airflow around my desk.

I need to just bite the bullet and get a new case to be honest - this one's so old that one of the USB ports on the front has pretty much disintegrated - but money, and time, and money...

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
20F outside, a nice toasty 73F in my apartment.

The 2080Ti serves double duty- not only can you have fun gaming, you can heat your home as well.

Can't wait for the 3080, I'll never have to turn on the heat again.
You clearly haven't been PC gaming for long.

Because Fermi, my god the heat that thing produced.

Or if you wanted a more modern space heater, the 290x.

The 2080 is positively cold in relation to some of the less efficient GPUs of the past.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That's assuming that I focus entirely on overclocking instead of undervolting, though. A few additional frames matters less to me than the heat of my die, since the two fans on my card get pretty loud when the die gets hot. I prefer less noise to better performance, anyway, since with a 1080 Ti, there's not a whole lot of games I struggle to run, and I'm not a stickler for locked framerates on my VRR monitor.
Okay, but the point is that a card consuming 250W is still going to be producing the same amount of heat no matter what cooling solution you have on there.
If power consumption remains constant, the cooling solution only affects the card's operating temperature, not the amount of heat being produced.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I have a portable dedicated heater that has a mode for 700W;

some gaming PCs can actually produce that amount of heat output or more (most don't, but still)

PCs are primarily heaters but can also do some other tasks, I think