• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JohnnyEnglish

Apr 15, 2018
Am I the only one that likes Monarch over Emerald Vale? I really like how the story builds up between all the major settlements there and how you learn about the past of the major characters (like Zora, Sanjar, Nyoka, etc) in this region through the terminals and dialague.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Am I the only one that likes Monarch over Emerald Vale? I really like how the story builds up between all the major settlements there and how you learn about the past of the major characters (like Zora, Sanjar, etc) in this region through the terminals.
Monarch has a great story arch and yes the backstory discovered through terminals was cool. But overall Monarch was just too big and the lack of enemy variety was definitely a big problem.
The first half of Monarch was a slog for me to play but picked up pace at the end

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Monarch's quests were mostly good and the two factions have one of the most interesting arcs in the game. But Jesus Christ I did not enjoy all the Raptidons and Mantisaurs the game throws at you.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Monarch where the end of the main campaign comes into play?

I have really enjoyed my time with The Outer Worlds and think it's one of the better games of its ilk that I've played, but now it's starting to wear out it's welcome. Monarch is getting a bit long in the tooth for me.

I've just sorted out the
broadcast frequency dilemma for Hiram on Devil's Peak, and a ship just crashed that I'm supposed to go and salvage...

...Am I nearing the end now?? I actually got annoyed and killed
Graham when he asked me to clear out the printing press facility for him.
That's not something that's really keeping with my current gameplay style (chaotic good, sort of) but there was no way I was running yet ANOTHER fucking errand, and certainly not for that douche bag.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I play on hard. While enemies did die in a single shot to the head early on, right now on Monarch they never do anymore. I've been using the dead-eye rifle and maxed out its upgrades, but it still wouldn't do the job. Headshots aren't as deadly as I expected them to be, so I usually have to spend the entire TTD bar to kill a single enemy. In Fallout, headshots are deadly especially with the corresponding traits. I could kill 2-3 enemies in a single VATS thanks to that.

I haven't been playing on anything lower than Hard. Although what I also did every time was use at least 60 in Science. Most of the enemies on Monarch besides robots and a Colossus, Alpha or Mantiqueen would still die to a single head shot, or in the case of a Colossus, a shot to the head and then another shot to finish it off. All of the spitters, drones, worms and all humans would still die in a single hit. Another thing is that on the enemies I knew I could not kill with a Dead-Eye in a single shot, I would just use a fully charged plasma rifle, which would kill. Problem is, it's super slow and can't really be used in TTD the way other weapons can, so I would only do that on really big enemies. Or, if something was alerted after I killed an enemy with it, I would turn TTD off, charge up the gun again and then turn TTD back on for a head shot.

The Mantiqueens are the outliers, since they have high armor and are resistant to plasma. Corrosion is the best element against them (or two heavy machine gun equipped companions), and they were kind of annoying on my first playthrough. On later, experimental playthroughs though, I found the plasma launcher, changed to corrosion could one-shot them at best, two-shot them from sneaking at worst. That same gun would also one-shot any robot on Monarch, and you don't even need TTD for it.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Started over and broke the game I think.

Went to botanical garden. Killed Adelaide then snuck out. Cleared the power plant. Routed power away from deserters. Now need to grab that power converter.

Deserters kill on sight. With power out can't get door open to get that power converter. Is this broken?

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
I was really loving this game in the first hours (Edgewater, the Groundbreaker...), but now I am in Monarch and the more I play, the less I'm enjoying the game. I still love the dialog, and it's honestly the only reason to continue to play for me, but all the game part is not doing it for me. Like I'm not excited by the idea to discover new loot now that I'm almost sure there is like one armor model (just in different colors depending on the brand) and twenty different weapons. I'm not interested to mod my equipment because the mods are not interesting. Leveling is not exciting because except dialog and stealth skills, nothing seems to be really important and the perks are not interesting. And even if I had a tough start difficulty wise and I'm not very good at combat, it's now becoming super easy to the point it's not fun anymore.
So, I'm a little bored by the game and loss the motivation to play it for now. The only thing that makes me want to continue are the dialog and the story.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
The game is way too short; was hoping for more content. Oh well, at least I won't have to put up with the shower of shit that is the Xbox app.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Finished the game. Mostly loved it, I like how the exploration and dialogue are kept to a good pacing and I think that the structure is more enjoyable than open world games.

Sadly I experienced a crash during the last mission (repeated crash in the same room), so I couldn't talk to an important NPC and needed to "sequence break" a little section in order to go to the final area. Thankfully besides this I didn't experience any bug, I completed all the sidequestes I found no problem and had an overall flawless experience.

Unless something change this game will be on my lower TOP 10 positions this year, I have enjoyed it far more than Bethesda's Fallout games (even new Vegas, that was rough in too many aspects) and think it's good to have shorter RPGs from time to time.

Aug 25, 2019
I just finished it last night, what a wonderful game. Like previous posters have said, the exploration, the dialogue and the option in how you build your character and your team is really well done. I absolutely loved doing all the dialogue options and seeing a new world for the first time was always a marvel for me. I kinda did speed through the last two areas because I was so hungry to see how it will end.

I think I choose not the best way to end it, but when I play it again I will definitely do a thing or two differently.

I strongly recommend this game and I did love fallout new vegas and would say this is right up there with it. This game is fun and it is SO FUNNY.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like theres an amount of people here who dont remember vanilla F3/FNV that well and are using their memories of modded playthroughs to base their opinions on mechanics and how they worked

Enemies in F3 specially in harder difficulty were huge damage sponges to the point you could unload full clips on vats in their heds/weakspots and still do less than half health damage. Broken Steel was particularly bad in adding even more walls of HP roaming around the wastes to the point it became a meme. Theres a reason why FWE and most "overhauls" made "combat more deadlier and realistic" as a priority. Compared to that TTD is a very clear and noticeable improvement - i never felt it got harder to kill people with headshots the further i progressed and the better weapons i had unlike in fallout.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About to start this on Xbox One. Normal or Hard?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Monarch where the end of the main campaign comes into play?

I have really enjoyed my time with The Outer Worlds and think it's one of the better games of its ilk that I've played, but now it's starting to wear out it's welcome. Monarch is getting a bit long in the tooth for me.

I've just sorted out the
broadcast frequency dilemma for Hiram on Devil's Peak, and a ship just crashed that I'm supposed to go and salvage...

...Am I nearing the end now?? I actually got annoyed and killed
Graham when he asked me to clear out the printing press facility for him.
That's not something that's really keeping with my current gameplay style (chaotic good, sort of) but there was no way I was running yet ANOTHER fucking errand, and certainly not for that douche bag.

Can anyone answer this for me?

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of those complaints are largely budget related, not excusing it, but honestly I preferred the hub/zone setup. games like fallout have too much meaningless space for my taste.

Sometimes that meaningless space is good because it makes the world feel larger and more real. I liked OW's setup initially because it was like Fallout with the fat trimmed. Turns out fat is flavor..

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it is an RPG, albeit a shorter one compared to others in the same vein. You could definitely try rushing it and doing only main story missions, maybe it won't take you that much longer to finish it, but there is another main planet to visit.

wait what planet

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Am I the only one that likes Monarch over Emerald Vale? I really like how the story builds up between all the major settlements there and how you learn about the past of the major characters (like Zora, Sanjar, Nyoka, etc) in this region through the terminals and dialague.

I felt like Monarch began to feel like a real drag towards the end, but that was before I realized it was like the main crust of the game. There was just way too much walking on that planet, and too many sealed door dead ends that you needed to literally walk all the way around the other way to open.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

It depends on how you've been doing the side quests and such, and also if you actually went to Byzantium early. There's really only one somewhat big place left after Monarch if you've been keeping up with the side quests and you did not go to Byzantium early. If you've done the former, then you're around 90% finished after Monarch, if the latter, then maybe 60% - 70% is about right.

Edit: How do you blur words in posts, without needing to use the gaudy spoiler tags?
Edit2: Thanks!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like Monarch began to feel like a real drag towards the end, but that was before I realized it was like the main crust of the game. There was just way too much walking on that planet, and too many sealed door dead ends that you needed to literally walk all the way around the other way to open.

and all the loading time...

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Finished the game yesterday. I liked most of it, it had some very interesting dialogues and some of the decisions were not easy to take. I grew to love the simple but serviceable combat system, which had been trivially easy (on Normal) until the last mission -I didn´t know I could also improve my armor. I was surprised that the game didn´t allow me to continue after the ending, so I reloaded a previous save and went on for achievement hunting.

I am torn about The Outer Worlds. On one hand, I had no expectations but I got it through Game Pass, and it gave me some 30 fun hours. That said, I do not believe it is the masterpiece nor GOTY contender many seem to consider it to be.
It does give me hope about what a Microsoft-funded Obsidian can produce in the future.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished Monarch.

How much left of the game is there? Not gonna lie I'm feeling a little done. Nothing is challenging anymore. I barely use the items I got. Leveling is slow. I find myself just skipping dialogue as fast as I can read it.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
finished the game wow does it get easy on normal, final boss was trivial thanks to tinkered/modded weapon

enjoyed it immensely despite the obviously limited budget , liked the shroud concept quite unique

so contemplating a supernova playthough but how annoying are the sleep at ship requirements? seems weird cant use beds in the world, makes me wonder if you can explore monarch properly without it being a major pain

Also

Chicken...

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Finally finished the last achievement. I screwed up on my second run and had to do a quick third.

I really didn't expect to like this game as much as I did.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Just got the game. Arrived in edgewater and I have two side quests and the main quest to go to power plant. Are the side quests timed? Or if I do something in the larger story can it "botch" a side quest? THanks

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Just got the game. Arrived in edgewater and I have two side quests and the main quest to go to power plant. Are the side quests timed? Or if I do something in the larger story can it "botch" a side quest? THanks
Nah you have as much time as you need. The only thing that might hurt you is if you repeatedly fuck over a faction enough times during a side quest to make them shoot-on-sight hostile. (This only happened to me with The Board, though, and right before the final mission.)

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my first playthrough as a persuasive and (mostly) honest good character. Neutral good, if I had to give her an alignment. Only used handguns and shotguns (maybe 90% handguns, 10% shotguns) and the pistol I'd tinkered and modded made the final boss trivial on normal. Still want to do two more playthroughs: corporate stooge that uses melee/heavy weapons and kills a lot, and a long guns expert that relies on stealth and companions because they're super dumb.

Only issue is I'm hearing is a "kill-a-lot" run isn't really that much different than any other run. Maybe I'll just do my dumb sniper next instead of my asshole run?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Finished my first playthrough as a persuasive and (mostly) honest good character. Neutral good, if I had to give her an alignment. Only used handguns and shotguns (maybe 90% handguns, 10% shotguns) and the pistol I'd tinkered and modded made the final boss trivial on normal. Still want to do two more playthroughs: corporate stooge that uses melee/heavy weapons and kills a lot, and a long guns expert that relies on stealth and companions because they're super dumb.

Only issue is I'm hearing is a "kill-a-lot" run isn't really that much different than any other run. Maybe I'll just do my dumb sniper next instead of my asshole run?
I've found killing people sure speeds up the game

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Play on Hard, and do a companion (at least 50 in Leadership, but 60+ is better) build. Yes, they are super dumb when you don't actually give them commands, but when you actually move them to a spot to hold at, they will chew through enemies that rush towards you (especially any beast type), and for humans, they can just stand inside any group of them an annihilate.

Parvati and Max are the best for this, due to their ridiculous active skills. Parvati literally teleports anywhere you can reliably shoot an enemy, stuns them, and Max can knock down any enemy in the game with his skill. I'm right at the end of my Supernova, no reload run, and I stopped having to actually do much of anything with them other than click their abilities once per fight for ages now. It's super cheesy too, because you can use their skills to prevent any enemy that's rushing you to hit you, it also slows down time for the enemies, while the second companion keeps on firing at full speed. The best weapons for them too that I've found are Heavy Machine Guns, but before you can find those, just the Light version will work well enough.

Sniping is fun, but honestly it's extremely slow compared to using companions to just rush everything. Mainly because stealth fucking sucks in this game for combat purposes. It's terrible. The only thing it seems to do is increase the rate at which the enemy "alert" meter decreases and resets them back to their normal, unaware state. With max Sneaking and the Tier 3 stealth perk, enemies still go into full combat after 1-3 kills the same way they do without those skills. The only difference is you end up waiting a little less for them to reset.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Found this three shot burst pistol that's perfect otherwise, rips things apart... But my dude reloads it all slow-mo like. What the fuck lol, annoying.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Found this three shot burst pistol that's perfect otherwise, rips things apart... But my dude reloads it all slow-mo like. What the fuck lol, annoying.

Are you in TTD when reloading? Did you happen to actually lower your Dexterity? Do you have a debuff that lowered your Dexterity? The bolter doesn't have that slow of a reload speed by default. I just loaded up my current game, where that gun is the default I'm using, and the reload speed is literally less than a second and a half. Unless there's some other random three shot pistol I'm not remembering.

Apr 3, 2018
I think I'm getting closer to the end on my first playthrough. So far, I've just been focusing on my dialogue skills and lockpicking. I know I'm going to want to replay on Super Nova but I don't know which build to go for-- any advice on what the best skills/perks are to make Super Nova a breeze? Just going through for the achievement.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Are you in TTD when reloading? Did you happen to actually lower your Dexterity? Do you have a debuff that lowered your Dexterity? The bolter doesn't have that slow of a reload speed by default. I just loaded up my current game, where that gun is the default I'm using, and the reload speed is literally less than a second and a half.

Oh god, I didn't realize dexterity affected reload speed. I dropped it (and strength) to minimum in the character creator so I'd have more points for the other attributes. Somehow the other reloading animations felt believable even with the 50% speed decrease so I never noticed. Lmao, oh well.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I think I'm getting closer to the end on my first playthrough. So far, I've just been focusing on my dialogue skills and lockpicking. I know I'm going to want to replay on Super Nova but I don't know which build to go for-- any advice on what the best skills/perks are to make Super Nova a breeze? Just going through for the achievement.

I honestly think dialogue and lockpicking are pretty OP.

You can make an insanely broken sniper character with maxes long guns and the perks that boost critical % chance and critical damage such as the ones for not having companions. You can basically one shot every enemy with the insane amounts of damage you can do.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, I didn't realize dexterity affected reload speed. I dropped it (and strength) to minimum in the character creator so I'd have more points for the other attributes. Somehow the other reloading animations felt believable even with the 50% speed decrease so I never noticed. Lmao, oh well.

If you're playing a gun focused build, INT/PER to 3 and that's all you need.

See my post above. I can post my stats in a minute if you want too. It's been super easy, although honestly Supernova is more hassle mode than anything remotely challenging. It's the same as Hard, except you can't fast travel anywhere besides to your ship, which becomes annoying quickly. If you've already killed everything already from point A to point B, removing fast travel doesn't somehow increase the challenge, it just makes you take longer to get around. The food and water consumption are annoying, and nonsensical at times too. It's only kind of interesting early on, but later you're running around with 30+ water and 100+ food items that it's completely irrelevant and just busywork. Enemy health and damage are identical to Hard too.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
While most of the jokes landed for me, the terminals lean too hard on corporate cartoon villainy that it begins feeling one note.