• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I just found out that I apparently been running around missing a pretty obvious story quest, "Balance Due" from this Udom guy on Groundbreaker about
turning in Phineas Welles:
I didn't want to do that so I figured why would I select this dialogue option. But now I read that it's connected to a story quest. I wanted to get it now, but
Udom is gone and there is another guy at his desk now:
Is the quest gone now for my play through? It's so weird.
Or am I on the "good" path when this happens? I want to try to get a good (or the best) ending.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Reached level 12 and suddenly all the weapon loot is replaced by the superior Mk2 versions. I'm not complaining, since even the common Assault Rifle Mk2 means +300 dps for me and my companions, but the level gate is... kind of blatant?

And call me a psychopath, but I can't help but laugh when we fight Raptodons, combat is over and Ellie/Max walk around screaming "AAAAAH IT BURNS" because they got spit on.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this up today. I will echo the more mixed impressions of the game.

It started out intriguing enough, but fell off hard at Monarch. Quests tend to be simple in structure and not all that interesting in the story department. Also too much dull combat going through Monarch.
I ended up skipping some side quest by the end that looked like even more planet hopping with no meat to them and I somewhat rushed to the finish line.

At least I was able to skip combat for the most part during the last few hours.

It was a bit weird having all the faction pop up helping me, while I just walked through everything in disguse. There is a bit of disconnect there that kept creeping once in a while during the game.

I give the game some bonus points that it let me resolve the last few areas without any combat. I was able to speech check though the last boss(?) too. After Monarch I had my doubts.

So overall quite a bit of a disappointment, despite not being a bad game overall.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I haven't been playing on anything lower than Hard. Although what I also did every time was use at least 60 in Science. Most of the enemies on Monarch besides robots and a Colossus, Alpha or Mantiqueen would still die to a single head shot, or in the case of a Colossus, a shot to the head and then another shot to finish it off. All of the spitters, drones, worms and all humans would still die in a single hit. Another thing is that on the enemies I knew I could not kill with a Dead-Eye in a single shot, I would just use a fully charged plasma rifle, which would kill. Problem is, it's super slow and can't really be used in TTD the way other weapons can, so I would only do that on really big enemies. Or, if something was alerted after I killed an enemy with it, I would turn TTD off, charge up the gun again and then turn TTD back on for a head shot.

The Mantiqueens are the outliers, since they have high armor and are resistant to plasma. Corrosion is the best element against them (or two heavy machine gun equipped companions), and they were kind of annoying on my first playthrough. On later, experimental playthroughs though, I found the plasma launcher, changed to corrosion could one-shot them at best, two-shot them from sneaking at worst. That same gun would also one-shot any robot on Monarch, and you don't even need TTD for it.
I don't really have a problem with the combat per se. The assault rifles mostly do the job for clearing groups of enemies. However, I simply prefer the silent sniper type of playstyle, and this game doesn't really provide that for me. The TTD, I mostly use it only to keep track on the location of the enemies and choose my next target. Like, after I kill one, I'll activate it to scan the combat zone. It's not being used as I hoped I would use it, like VATS in Fallout.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I somehow missed picking up Felix pretty much the entire game, up until the last mission. I had the initial conversation with him but just never had the second one that initiated the companion talk.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have a problem with the combat per se. The assault rifles mostly do the job for clearing groups of enemies. However, I simply prefer the silent sniper type of playstyle, and this game doesn't really provide that for me. The TTD, I mostly use it only to keep track on the location of the enemies and choose my next target. Like, after I kill one, I'll activate it to scan the combat zone. It's not being used as I hoped I would use it, like VATS in Fallout.

I hear you. This is what I said in a followup post.

Sniping is fun, but honestly it's extremely slow compared to using companions to just rush everything. Mainly because stealth fucking sucks in this game for combat purposes. It's terrible. The only thing it seems to do is increase the rate at which the enemy "alert" meter decreases and resets them back to their normal, unaware state. With max Sneaking and the Tier 3 stealth perk, enemies still go into full combat after 1-3 kills the same way they do without those skills. The only difference is you end up waiting a little less for them to reset.

Rifles aren't really "weak" in this game as long as you're keeping them updated, but you can't ever actually build a real sniper, even if you pick everything that in theory should support one. Or at least, you can't play a stealth shooter that's like Agent 47, JC Denton, Sam Fisher, Snake etc. As far as keeping track of enemies goes, it's OK most of the time since you can see the red triangles within a decent range, but it's just not max sniper range.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get into the game. I'm 8 hours in and its so easy on normal difficulty.
Not gone on the Bioshock/Fallout art style either, it's a bit unoriginal.
I love Deus Ex, Fallout, Bloodlines, and most Obsidian games so this should be right up my alley.
Think I'll just drop it, gotten to the point I'm not even listening to the dialog anymore.
Big disappointment for me.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Last time I sold all the Roseway research to Gladys, so I figured this playthrough I would return them to their rightful owners. The dialogue with Anton Crane was... unexpectedly sobering, in a way.

The gunshot took me by surprise.

Oct 28, 2017
Last time I sold all the Roseway research to Gladys, so I figured this playthrough I would return them to their rightful owners. The dialogue with Anton Crane was... unexpectedly sobering, in a way.

The gunshot took me by surprise.

I was genuinely surprised too, given that the entire mess in Roseway for a toothpaste.

It's downright satire.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They did a great job with Parvati's personal quest. I just took her to the bar on Groundbreaker and her dialogue and voice acting is a cut above the rest. Which is already good to begin with, so that's saying something.

Random thought, but I can't help but feel they based Phineas's speech patterns on Mordin Solus from Mass Effect?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Random thought, but I can't help but feel they based Phineas's speech patterns on Mordin Solus from Mass Effect?

You mean a stereotypical old scientist in media? He didn't really speak nearly as fast as Mordin though. His voice and his face actually reminded me a bit of Jonathan Pryce (Game of Thrones High Sparrow).

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
All in all I'd give it a solid 7.

the small budget really held it back. The combat was too simple, the loading screens really killed the flow of the game especially towards the end when I was trying to finish up a bunch of missions. At a certain point I was kinda over it.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I don't do much of the social media stuff...but has Obsidian mentioned anything about patches for the game?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You mean a stereotypical old scientist in media? He didn't really speak nearly as fast as Mordin though. His voice and his face actually reminded me a bit of Jonathan Pryce (Game of Thrones High Sparrow).
It's the specific combination of short sentences (that always lack a subject), techno babble and random remarks that reminds me of Mordin, even if Phineas indeed talks slower. I could be wrong, though.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
fucked up one of the quests on roseway and don't have enough bits to get the nav key to stellar bay. im about 2k short. any tips on getting some fast cash?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm mostly enjoying my time with the game, but I'm far from loving it. At times I feel like I'm almost pushing myself to continue, and I'm even skipping dialogue here and there which is something I pretty much never do.

Whilst the premise and world is artistically enticing, and there's charm to a lot of it, it also feels like it's a game from the previous decade or two or something, in that it just feels like I'm playing old Fallout again. Cue similar janky movement, animations, wooden dialogue exchanges, repetitive fetch or kill quest mission design, dull enemies and combat, weak AI, loads of unnecessary backtracking, essentially the same core gameplay loop and so on.

Also, even though I'm playing on Hard, since I picked up the Hunting Rifle and Assault Rifle the game has just become ridiculously easy. Slow motion zoom headshots are pretty much all you need, rinse repeat.

Thus far I'm actually somewhat surprised the game reviewed as well as it did, and my impressions of games tend to mostly line up with metacritic aggregates the majority of the time. In any case, I'll certainly keep playing, but thus far I've found the game decent to good, not great.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
fucked up one of the quests on roseway and don't have enough bits to get the nav key to stellar bay. im about 2k short. any tips on getting some fast cash?
Sidequests are your best bet for large amounts of cash. Did you fix the heat problem on Groundbreaker already? Dealt with MacRedd? The latter in particular can be done very quick: accept the bounty, take the elevator over at Engineering down to his hideout, kill him/get his lighter, take the elevator back up, claim your reward.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Sidequests are your best bet for large amounts of cash. Did you fix the heat problem on Groundbreaker already? Dealt with MacRedd? The latter in particular can be done very quick: accept the bounty, take the elevator over at Engineering down to his hideout, kill him/get his lighter, take the elevator back up, claim your reward.
yeah i've seemingly done most of the stuff on groundbreaker. just did a quick loop of the station talking to anyone i could to see if another side quest might open up but no luck. i do still have to do the quest to get the engineering textbooks or whatever for that kid in edgewater, might just pop back there and go do that.

Oct 25, 2017

Check in your junk to see if you have Adelaide's necklace. You can sell that for 2k+ to Gladys.

Also, if you held off on doing that Edgewater quest with the 4 bounties, then you can do that for 2k. 500 for each bounty.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
They did a great job with Parvati's personal quest. I just took her to the bar on Groundbreaker and her dialogue and voice acting is a cut above the rest. Which is already good to begin with, so that's saying something.

I expect nothing less from Tiny Tina, and yeah her voice acting is amazing.

As for Mordin Solus, ABSOLUTELY. Took only a couple of sentences till I started thinking the exact same thing, it was very weird.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Got stuck on Monarch. I have a really fragile character build that didn't take well to the Mantiqueens you have to go through to get to the story mission.

So I built this
unknown.png
Problem solved.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

You don't need the navkey to reach Stellar Bay. There's a free, but more dangerous route...but stealth works, as does running.

Got stuck on Monarch. I have a really fragile character build that didn't take well to the Mantiqueens you have to go through to get to the story mission.

So I built this

Problem solved.

If you have access to a corrosion mod, having that on a plasma launcher can 1-2 shot them if your Science is at 60. That same launcher would also basically one-shot 99% of the robots in the game too. Two companions with Heavy Machine Guns wreck them too.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Monarch and never started the Halcyon quests. Am I missing a lot or is it just an alternate route through the main quest?

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monarch sucks, it's a maze to navigate and throws mobs at you constantly. Does it get better after this? I'm just not enjoying any of the characters here, I'm honestly tempted to side with the board because they at least have interesting characters

For all the talk about the game's focus and smaller scope, the missions feel like they have less variety than Fallout 4 and the world even less crafted. In the first couple of areas, I was completing every side mission, but the side missions on Monarch are too fetch questy and the loot just isn't very interesting.

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
I'm currently level 12 and just got to Monarch, and both of my companions (Vicar and Parvati) but get killed in just about every firefight. Is there something I'm potentially doing wrong? I always make sure they have reasonable items. Playing on hard, btw.

Jan 10, 2018
The companions AI in this is like the worst I've ever seen. There's like no behaviour at all beyond just running head first into the enemy.

Is it possible to play without them on Supernova? I can't even imagine how painful they must be when enemies are even more threatening and they can perma-die in just a couple of shots.

Feb 4, 2018
One of my favorite things about Skyrim is its ability to communicate really dense world-building through very brief conversations.

Outer Worlds would be so much better if they shaved down each conversation pretty dramatically.

I'm almost anxious to talk to the characters I come across as I'm exploring the world because I don't want to get trapped in yet another long-winded conversation.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
The companions AI in this is like the worst I've ever seen. There's like no behaviour at all beyond just running head first into the enemy.

Change their AI to ranged, and use the key to have them stand in a spot while you do your thing. The AI in this is like Skynet compared to something like Mass Effect 1. 😄

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

It isn't good, but you can adjust their behavior and you can also tell them to stand in specific spots by pressing down on the D-pad. Holding down will make them return to you, as will you running too far from them.

I usually order them to stand in specific spots where they'll be most effective, before initiating combat.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so similar to the door I had to kill EVERYONE in the area otherwise I could not progress.. kinda ruins my play style being relatively passive throughout so far.
The only thing that worked for me to get through that door without crashing was sending back the 2 companions to the ship, it looks like the game has an issue with the stealth costumes reverting back to the normal ones when you get through the door and it crashes.

Last edited:

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I just finished the game on normal difficulty via game pass. If I had to give the game a rating it would be a 7/10. I was into the game during the first 8-10 hours then it slowly turned into a slog to play, and I found myself wanting to just power through it.

I'll begin with some positives then go into the things I did not like as much.

The game looks nice, I like the colour palette and the fact the game just isn't grey or brown. Some nice looking environments, sky boxes. Gameplay in terms of moving, shooting etc was solid. Combat was pretty basic but I didn't expect much there. There is alot of well written chracters, terminals and story sprinkled around the game. There is more to the surface than just finishing the main story if you want to find it (ala every RPG I guess).

Then some negative things, the game just turned into a boring slog after the first 8 or so hours for me. I started dreading speaking to people as I knew they would give me some annoying side quest that sends me all over the place and ultimately is unrewarding. Some side missions literally had you speak to one person then fly across the system to speak to someone else then back to do something else and that was it. I just couldn't be bothered the longer it went on.

The companions were fine, some interesting side missions there. The Parvati was stupid the further it went on, and boy did that go on and on. Go to this side of the system for this one item, then back for another, then go here to buy this, then back to the ship, and so on. The Max and Ellie ones were most interesting for me out of the bunch.

Another big problem for me was the lack of exploration. When I first landed on planets I was looking around like wow i'm going to be here exploring for hours, but actually it was really lacking in that department. It wasn't proper open world like Fallout, so I wish they did something similar to Mankind Divided with Prague - having this little hub world full of little places to explore and discover. Instead pretty much every planet just had a basic town area and was made up of the same general layout.

In terms of my character I ended at level 30, I played mostly passively and tried to solve most things the "good" way without conflict. By the end game I could literally lie, hack, science, persuade, engineer my way out or into any situation. It's incredibly overpowered, considering I picked a jack of all trades build at the start and didn't really focus on a single trait. Speaking character, I found the perks and skills pretty basic and a miss opportunity there, especially compared to something like Fallout 4. Nothing really stood out as unique or fun with the perks.

One thing that REALLY annoyed me was, why on earth did they map "X" at least on xbox / PC controller be the equip weapon button... as well as everything else: open doors, talking to people. It should be "Y" like every other single game. I look like a fool accidentally getting my gun out after speaking to every NPC or opening a door. I'm trying to have a conversation with someone and I have my sniper rifle stuffed right in their face.

I played on PC with a 1060, and the game ran basically 60FPS at high which was good. No bugs during, until the end where I had TWO hard crashes instantly to desktop every time I tried to just walk through a door, then up a lift. Looking online it seems to be a bug alot of people are experiencing so that pretty much sucks. I managed to get past it by changing my play style, but yeah not cool.

This was one of my top games of the year, so i'm a little disappointed in it overall. Fallout 4 was my first and only Fallout game, so seeing the hype around this and Obsidian I must say I expected more. I saw people earlier saying TOW2 will address and fix the short comings of this game, and I don't agree with that. You can't give Obsidian a free pass because this is the first game in the TOW series..It's not like their first game, considering they made the "best" Fallout game.

Overall I enjoyed playing it, I guess I got far enough before feeling fatigue to just power through the last hours to see the story through. I played via game pass so i'm glad about that. Theres a few locked planets left for I assume DLC, so I guess I will check those out at a future date to see what they are about.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently level 12 and just got to Monarch, and both of my companions (Vicar and Parvati) but get killed in just about every firefight. Is there something I'm potentially doing wrong? I always make sure they have reasonable items. Playing on hard, btw.

Hopefully you have at least 20 in Leadership, and if you do, start using their active abilities more. Parvati and Max have the best in the game for controlling enemies. Also set them to defensive, move them into a position, where they will hold. Monarch is relatively good for this aside from the various enemies that spit non stop, because when they rush you, your companions will just focus fire them down. You can also initiate fights when you want by forcing both of them to attack a specific target too.

If you have Leadership to at least 20, you can also use their skills to prevent any rushing enemy from reaching you, and you can even knock down the largest enemies until they are dead. Using those abilities also slows down time for all of the enemies while your second companion keeps on firing at full speed. Gear is the most important thing though to keeping them alive. They need both good weapons and armor, so if you haven't been buying better gear and also tinkering it up a little, you should.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I can't get into the game. I'm 8 hours in and its so easy on normal difficulty.
Not gone on the Bioshock/Fallout art style either, it's a bit unoriginal.
I love Deus Ex, Fallout, Bloodlines, and most Obsidian games so this should be right up my alley.
Think I'll just drop it, gotten to the point I'm not even listening to the dialog anymore.
Big disappointment for me.
My takeaway is pretty similar, been struggling to pick it back up again after falling off around the same point. Strong early impressions and a lot of aspects that I do like, I did play and enjoy the RPG's that influenced this one, but the template they're working with is well worn territory and the whole feels like less than the sum of its parts. Will still mess with it to see if it picks up again, and I would be interested in a more ambitious and bigger budget followup, but still a disappointment.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Completed (?) Scylla, I think. The place felt kind of undercooked, much like those planets in Mass Effect where you drive the MAKO through barren wastelands for half an hour only for some minor loot. The quest ending with a minor comment instead of actual dialogue didn't help either.

The part with Irion and the medical bot was fun, though.

That said, the trip was completely worth it if only because I finally got clothes that look good and can be modded. Thank you, random Sublight Salvaging Thug!

theouterworlds_20191119j1y.jpg

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
So the more I see of this game, the more and more I'm interested. However, I did not enjoy Fallout 4 at all. Found it was bland, and the world sucked.

I may be spoiled from GTAV/RDR2 but I want something where I don't feel like the world revolves around me and towns are made up of 5 people.

Now that the game has been out a a couple weeks, what are your thoughts?

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Reached the last mission yesterday. My enthusiasm for the game has waned significantly after seeing how half-baked the second half is. I had been doing all the side missions up until Byzantium. I've ran out of any interest in continuing to do them and I'll do the final mission before I move on.

So much potential here that went unfulfilled imo

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
So the more I see of this game, the more and more I'm interested. However, I did not enjoy Fallout 4 at all. Found it was bland, and the world sucked.

I may be spoiled from GTAV/RDR2 but I want something where I don't feel like the world revolves around me and towns are made up of 5 people.

Now that the game has been out a a couple weeks, what are your thoughts?

I don't think this is for you, based on what you're saying here. These town are small and static, with the budget likely not allowing for more. If you go in expecting something like GTA5/RDR2 you'll be disappointed. It's more like a simpler version of modern Fallout, with smaller segregated maps, fewer variables, less to discover and a lot of weight put on the dialogue.

Many probably hoped this would be the next New Vegas and from that perspective, it doesn't fulfill the promise, but I'm still decently entertained despite the smaller scope, a lot of asset reuse and other limitations.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game, I backed Phineas all the way. Overall, I give the game a solid 8. I enjoyed the diverse cast and dialogue. The game fell off somewhat towards the end but it was fun.

Some missions felt like a slog but what RPG can boast of being entirely slog free? I loved Parvati's while personal quest. SAM has easily made his way into my top 5 RPG companions, he rarely left my team.

Biggest disappointment for me was
the alien conspiracy not being true. I felt having a twist of the board being aliens would have been amazing. Also weird that I chose not to kill the doctor but didn't see her in the outdo commentary. Unless I missed it?