• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Completed (?) Scylla, I think. The place felt kind of undercooked, much like those planets in Mass Effect where you drive the MAKO through barren wastelands for half an hour only for some minor loot. The quest ending with a minor comment instead of actual dialogue didn't help either.

The part with Irion and the medical bot was fun, though.

That said, the trip was completely worth it if only because I finally got clothes that look good and can be modded. Thank you, random Sublight Salvaging Thug!

theouterworlds_20191119j1y.jpg

You look a lot like Lilya.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I went from not really liking it in the beginning to enjoying my time with it after I got to Groundbreaker until after I spent a while on monarch then I just kinda got bored and I am finding it hard to pick back up. The world so far just isnt that interesting for me to explore or is it rewarding. I don't really care for any of the characters. I have the same armor I got like an hour in and just haven't found anything better. I found a couple weapons I liked near the beginning and just tinkered the shit out of them and nothing else is coming close since. So many loading screens, so many eviction signs on so many houses. The perks are pretty weak. The loot is boring. Pretty big disappointment for me so far. Haven't used a single consumable.

Would love to see what they come up with on a huge budget but this hasn't filled the void left from the Fallout games for me which is what I was hoping for.

I will pick it back up and finish it but I'm forcing it at this point. This just really didn't draw me in like I had expected it to.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just want to pop in here and say that I've been playing this game for the past week (level 19 so far) and I think it's fucking amazing. Obsidian managed to make a better game than fallout 4 imo with a setting and lore that's far more appealing to me personally.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went from not really liking it in the beginning to enjoying my time with it after I got to Groundbreaker until after I spent a while on monarch then I just kinda got bored and I am finding it hard to pick back up. The world so far just isnt that interesting for me to explore or is it rewarding. I don't really care for any of the characters. I have the same armor I got like an hour in and just haven't found anything better. I found a couple weapons I liked near the beginning and just tinkered the shit out of them and nothing else is coming close since. So many loading screens, so many eviction signs on so many houses. The perks are pretty weak. The loot is boring. Pretty big disappointment for me so far. Haven't used a single consumable.

Would love to see what they come up with on a huge budget but this hasn't filled the void left from the Fallout games for me which is what I was hoping for.

I will pick it back up and finish it but I'm forcing it at this point. This just really didn't draw me in like I had expected it to.

Pretty much, although I enjoyed the beginning before it all fell apart. I just rushed through the last few hours to see the end. Nothing was interesting or challenging, I never needed to choose between one skill or the next, or save ammo, or worry about a fight, or anything really. It's babies first RPG meets Fallout wannabe light. People talk about developers forcing RPG mechanics into their games, and yet most of them use those mechanics better than this full fledged RPG does. Probably my disappointment of the year.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I spent last night doing a bunch of side missions on Monarch and was really burnt out by the end. Think Imma just do mostly the main quest from here.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Yep, I'm pretty much getting the same sentiment as others here, after reaching Monarch. I've lost the interest and excitement in this game. At this point, I'm just pretty much almost skipping some dialogues and doing main missions mostly.

Same as some have summarized here. Lackluster progress after a while, worthless loots, the game becomes a walking cake even in hard mode, same structure even in the story, etc.

I may replay it as a Lonewolf psychopath in Supernova Mode, but that is.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey so I'm glad it didn't end up being another 5-10 hours. Game wrapped up exactly when I was ready to move on. I actually really liked the way everything came to a head and concluded in my play through. I walked a very selfish path and my ending, well...lol

I really enjoyed this game, but I also think there's going to be so many improvements made to the formula and world going forward in a sequel. This felt like a very good first step in a new franchise. I finished it and that same day sold it to a friend.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Going by the last few pages there seems to be a lot of people saying the exact thing thing - game was good for the first 5-10 hours but then slowly falls off a cliff once you realise there's not much else to it.

Hey so I'm glad it didn't end up being another 5-10 hours. Game wrapped up exactly when I was ready to move on. I actually really liked the way everything came to a head and concluded in my play through. I walked a very selfish path and my ending, well...lol

I really enjoyed this game, but I also think there's going to be so many improvements made to the formula and world going forward in a sequel. This felt like a very good first step in a new franchise. I finished it and that same day sold it to a friend.

Definitely potential for the sequel to be way better with this foundation and a higher budget put behind it.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Think it's time to move on so I don't burn out on the game, and then come back when that bigger patch drops a few months from now I guess. What a fantastic game. I hope this game gets some expansion sized DLC and some mods.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
There were some decent spots of writing here and there but this was by far Obsidian's weakest game along with Dungeon Siege III. It didn't do anything to stand out and was in most ways a step back from what you'd expect from the studio. Also the skill system's ridiculously broken given I ended up with somebody who had 100 in everything important and the perks are boring.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I rank the game as better than Fallout 4 and it gave me the right vibes for open world fallout without the shit dialogue system of 4. Like, I want to see what Obsidian can do with this type of thing given Bethesda's time and budget. Well, maybe not quite that much time.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I rank the game as better than Fallout 4 and it gave me the right vibes for open world fallout without the shit dialogue system of 4. Like, I want to see what Obsidian can do with this type of thing given Bethesda's time and budget. Well, maybe not quite that much time.
I hope Obsidian starts a hiring spree pretty soon. They are currently half the size of Bethesda with 3 separate teams.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

I enjoyed it more than Fallout 4 but that's a pretty low bar. I'd rather see them attempt a high budget AP successor. A game with a somewhat limited path but with highly reactive elements.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I really do enjoy this game. But it's in desperate need of a Jsawyer type balancing.

I'm playing on Supernova and see absolutely no situations were I am likely to run out of anything (and I think I'm only half way through the game).

Why do all these kind of RPGs always have the same problems time after time?

You level up far too fast, money is mostly worthless, way too much loot to ever make item managing an actual concern.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Just finished this and had a great time with it. My only complaints are I wish it were longer, had less fetch missions and a bit more enemy and equipment variety. Damn good start to a franchise though.

Oh! Regarding the ending

What do yall think happened to Earth? I honestly don't think it has been destroyed. I think Halcyon wasn't profitable so the corporations said the hell with it, cut their losses and abandoned the colonies as it would be cost efficient. You aren't relocating all those people and they could just claim the sun went supernova in the system or whatever have you.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Wow. Just finished this and had a great time with it. My only complaints are I wish it were longer, had less fetch missions and a bit more enemy and equipment variety. Damn good start to a franchise though.

Oh! Regarding the ending

What do yall think happened to Earth? I honestly don't think it has been destroyed. I think Halcyon wasn't profitable so the corporations said the hell with it, cut their losses and abandoned the colonies as it would be cost efficient. You aren't relocating all those people and they could just claim the sun went supernova in the system or whatever have you.
Aliens
mtaqdTl.png

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oh! Regarding the ending

Find out next time on "The Outer Worlds 2"

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017

Oh! Regarding the ending

I think it would be funny if the earth in The Outer Worlds was nuked to hell like in Fallout, but the ship never returning seems to hint at something dangerous there that could effect a ship in space, or like you said, they are cutting their losses, and silence the group returning by ship, by either making them sign a corp NDA (heh), or just destroying them. Left it open enough for future installments that it could be anything I guess.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017

That ending blurb cracked me up.

Find out next time on "The Outer Worlds 2"

I'll be there with bells on. Hope that MS acquisition beefs up their budget. The team deserves it.

I think it would be funny if the earth in The Outer Worlds was nuked to hell like in Fallout, but the ship never returning seems to hint at something dangerous there that could effect a ship in space, or like you said, they are cutting their losses, and silence the group returning by ship, by either making them sign a corp NDA (heh), or just destroying them. Left it open enough for future installments that it could be anything I guess.

Yes that would be a cool little nod. They most likely going to leave that thread open for the sequel as you said for sure.

Jul 10, 2018
Just got to Stellar Bay in Monarch and I'm really enjoying it so far. Roughly how far am I from the end? I've finished all the sidequests that I know of up to this point.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good RPG wrapped around a sub-par FPS.. which is what they had to shoot for because it's what will sell. It just felt stale to me almost the whole way through, even though I thought it would be my game of the year.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 25 hours in and just got to Byzantium (completed most of the quests so far). I've quite enjoyed it but I get what folks are saying (ie being burned out or wanting to rush through it after a while).

To me, I think one of the main problems with the game is the main quest - it doesn't even feel like there's a main story. You can spend 10 or 15 hours just doing random side quests and forgetting about the fact that there is supposed to be an overarching plot. Wish there was more main quest cohesion or direction or....something.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Played five hours and haven't felt the urge to return. Really disappointing.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Made a new character and cleaned out Edgewater with a tossball stick. The dialogue with Parvati after you kill Reed right in front of her was something, haha. And it turns out there's actually an achievement for killing X people with tossball gear.

I won't continue this playthrough, but I might actually start a character on the side that focuses on melee. Pretty fun to walk up to a guy, hit them with a power attack and watch all their limbs fly away.

Edit: I killed most of Emerald Vale, with two exceptions: Parvati (the game apparently removes her from the game when she leaves in horror) and... Pelham, who returned to Edgewater while I was at the power plant. Since I diverted power to the gardens, he is now trapped inside the sherrif's office and will slowly starve to death.

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm about 25 hours in and just got to Byzantium (completed most of the quests so far). I've quite enjoyed it but I get what folks are saying (ie being burned out or wanting to rush through it after a while).

To me, I think one of the main problems with the game is the main quest - it doesn't even feel like there's a main story. You can spend 10 or 15 hours just doing random side quests and forgetting about the fact that there is supposed to be an overarching plot. Wish there was more main quest cohesion or direction or....something.
On the contrary, I thought it was really cool how side quests play into the larger story. Even the joke quests have a narrative importance to them. I won't say anymore since you aren't far enough for everything to click yet.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
What level should I be on Monarch? I'm 10 playing on hard and aren't even denting the praying mantis things. I'm melee build. Should I go back and finish side quests to level up?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat this tonight after about 40 hours. It easily took me twice as long than what it probably would have if I wasn't streaming the game and reading aloud every. single. terminal item and every dialogue option that I chose.

Ended up at max level a short while before the end. I also did probably 95% of the sidequest I came across. There were a couple of tasks in Byzantium that I just noped out of real quick because they seemed like unnecessary busy work.

All in all it was a fun game. Obsidian's writing was again top notch. The dialogue felt natural and often included lines that I would actually say in response mere moments before they popped up almost verbatim.

The repetitive nature of the quest structure and the lack of variety with respect to weapons and enemies really became bothersome after even the halfway mark. Also there were far too many quests that had you going back and forth between a couple of areas which resulted in a half dozen or so loading screens in a short time. Not too long on an SSD but still.

I went with a high science and high persuasion character and thought it worked well. I might do a quick re-play of it with a super dumb melee character.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel at some point if it addresses some of the flaws in this one.

Also, I had almost zero major technical issues with the game until near the end. At one point the sound totally cut out. I had to restart to fix it. Another time the game crashed. Twice. And in the exact same spot both times. This one was right near the end of the game and is a common crash. Luckily there was a workaround. All in all, probably the least buggy Obsidian title I've played at length.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm maybe 10 hours into it now and yeah, the gameplay is getting to me a bit. Combat is pretty damn boring, perks are really surprisingly lame and itemization has been weak. I'm so bored of looting the same shit over and over again, repairing and tinkering and going through identical combat scenarios by now that I'll probably just drop it to easy and turn on some cheats so I can essentially ignore the whole combat side of the game completely lol.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I'm about 14 hours in, exploring Monarch, and I'm still enjoying myself but the lustre is definitely starting to wear off. Playing a shooting-based game on Hard isn't something I would ever do under normal circumstances, but here I feel like Normal is just so unbalanced that it's almost required. I haven't put any points into combat skills and I've just been waltzing through every encounter without any danger. The trade-off for dumping all your points into schmoozing is supposed to be that you have to talk your way out of combat because you'll be too brittle for actual open battle, but here they've made you Max Payne even with 0 combat investment. Like, to the point where I genuinely don't know what you'd even get out of 100 points in Long Guns or whatever. Shots already go exactly where I aim them, enemies already die quickly; what more would I need?

I'm also really feeling the absence of lockpicking and hacking minigames, and any kind of percentage-based speech checks. With all my points in schmoozing and sneaking/hacking, I just feel like I've completely broken the game. In any given conversation I have like three different guaranteed-pass speech checks available, and I can pick every lock and hack every e-mail with zero effort. I have basically infinite ammo for every weapon, and like 30,000 credits with nothing to spend them on (I think I accidentally bought a 4,000 credit weapon mod just by buttoning through a vendor menu, and I don't even care. I don't need mods to kill guys and the money loss is a drop in the ocean). The only 'danger' is getting caught stealing something, but honestly I could probably finish the game without picking up one more piece of loot, and if I do get caught I have four different ways of schmoozing myself out of it anyway.

It just feels like playing Fallout 3/NV, but with all my stats modded as high as they'll go and god mode turned on. I've never felt that giddy thrill of finding an awesome new weapon or armour piece, had no sense of accomplishment hacking or lockpicking my way to some secret because it's just a matter of holding a button for a second, never worried about passing a speech check because they're all just right there unlocked in the dialogue tree. I'm enjoying it enough to want to finish it, but I don't see myself coming back to the game once I'm done.
I came here to post exactly this, funny how that goes.

I beat the game last night and I uninstalled it immediately. I had a decently good time up until halfway through Monarch, then I soured on it quite a lot. Your thoughts on the game mimic my own eerily well. Once you start putting points into any stats, the game becomes way too easy. By the end of the game I had 80k in my pockets and I had never ever bought an item on purpose. Mods were useless and barely noticeable in combat for me (melee only), and once I learned I could tinker my weapons with bits, I did so on all my companions up to about 1500 bits each and I could just watch them win every fight without healing for the rest of the game. Perhaps not the game's fault when I made it easier on my own, but still, it felt unbalanced to the point where a large section of the gameplay got kinda nullified.

The final area was boring, and I just walked and ran my way through it because while the combat suddenly became quite intense, there was no point to anything anymore for me. The villains came out of nowhere, literally in one of them, so weird. And then I picked a poor choice at the end and it gave me an ending I didn't want lol, because the phrasing was a bit off from how I read it.

I heard early on that companion skills were boring and I ended up agreeing. In the end, every companion had pretty much the exact same unlocks because of min-maxing the most interesting skills for me. Having multiple 100% checks per dialog wasn't any fun either. Almost every gameplay system in the game is either under-baked or under-utilized. It never truly excels at anything, it's just slightly above competent.

I kept thinking things like "this game looks a lot like Bioshock, but worse and it's already been done", "this level feels like an underbaked Deus Ex or Dishonored, but worse", "this humor is trying too hard and fails", and so on. The companions themselves weren't fleshed out and felt like caricatures and honestly a bit tacked on (pretty much literally what happens with Felix, wtf). Sure they have their own sidequests, but they were either too long and boring, like Parvati's, and pretty much none of them made the characters more interesting, pretty much none of them were truly likeable for me.

Maybe it's because I did every single side quest I could fine in each area, but the main story felt really unbalanced, with most of the set pieces and actual story points happening in the end game. I can't really say what happens in the story until you are about to leave Monarch. It's not really noteworthy anyway.

The game's been praised for the cultural commentary and all that, but it didn't feel fresh at all, we've heard it all before imo. It reminded me of GTA5 and all the jokes about facebook and modern American politics. Sorry, but the jokes are like 5 years too late xD

For me this is barely a 6/10, and a weak one at that. I fell for the undeserved hype train, in my opinion.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Finished it last night. I enjoyed it, more so early doors until the gameplay loop exposed itself and it became a bit tedious. But it's the only Fallout style game I've managed to enjoy so I'll give it that.

Oct 2, 2018
I just started and I've gone for a charm + high guns character....

and I kept dying from the maruaders. Done goofed?

The visual fidelity over a game like Fallout 4 is.... man, bethesda is an embarrasment.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So!

I took a break from D:OS 2 and just started.

As with my first playthrough of D:OS2, I only gone and went for a non-recommended build, didn't I?

Normally, I'd be a charming, borderline pacifist, roguish but ultimately good character in charge of a ragtag bunch of losers and misfits.

Instead, high off the trailer for The Mandalorian and a life-long love of Westerns, I built a no-nonsense, morally flexible, handgun-wielding, dodge-happy bounty hunter with no companions.

Quite refreshing to play as a shoot-first-fuck-your-ideology-where's-my-money type. Not done it before and the game let's you get into the (mean) spirit of it all.

Enjoying the humour. Looks lovely. Combat is quite fun. Pretty solid so far.

Last edited:

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I just reached Byzantium, doing the Phineas quest line. How much is left? I am mostly powering through the main quest line.

The best thing about this game is Parvati. Her companion quest is one of my favorite things in gaming this year.
I am so happy to see such a well written, relatable representation of the ace experience.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I just reached Byzantium, doing the Phineas quest line. How much is left? I am mostly powering through the main quest line.

The best thing about this game is Parvati. Her companion quest is one of my favorite things in gaming this year.
I am so happy to see such a well written, relatable representation of the ace experience.
Not long to go if you're powering through now.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I am at Byzantium too. I was getting a little bored with side quests so I am now only focusing on the main story. Finding myself skipping through most of the dialogue. It's not grabbing me as much as I thought it would. It's still a fun game though. Feels like the loading screens are getting longer the further I progress.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm just a hopeless fanboy bcaust I've loved every minute of the game and there has been no drop off. I love the old school gaming feel it has. Reminds me of fallout 2.

(Way less difficult, of course)

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I am at Byzantium too. I was getting a little bored with side quests so I am now only focusing on the main story. Finding myself skipping through most of the dialogue. It's not grabbing me as much as I thought it would. It's still a fun game though. Feels like the loading screens are getting longer the further I progress.
Yeah loading was overly long and wasn't fun the more you played.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Just finished. Took me around ~27 hours and I did every quest I came across, including the faction and companion quests. Overall I really enjoyed it but had a few annoyances. Like how some missions just have you running back and forth interacting with things (not even people) or how the same events repeat on your ship, for example. I hope they get a bigger budget for a bigger sequel.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

"
Greetings fellow spacers,

At this time, we would like to let you all know that we are looking at releasing a patch next week to implement some changes and bug fixes. This patch is currently in the testing phase and as long as no other issues occur during this time, we hope to release it to you all sometime next week. Please be aware that this can change, but we are working hard to make this timeline and things are looking good thus far.

Resolved Issues:
• The crashing issue in Tartarus
• Increase Font Size - Conversations/Subtitles
• Muffled sound effects occur at random times for players on the PS4
• Companions dying and failing companion quests on modes other than Supernova
• Unable to finish "Radio Free Monarch"
• Trophy "Not the Best Choice" fails to unlock properly

If you do not see your particular issue or suggestion listed above, please understand that we are continually reviewing and working on items that you are sharing with us. We will continue to work on updates and patches to see how we can make your gaming experience the best it possibly can be.

To continue to report issues and share suggestions, please visit our The Outer Worlds: Technical Support forums and search to see if a fellow player has already made a thread about it. If you find a thread with your issue or suggestion, feel free to comment in that thread with any details you would like to share. If you cannot find a thread with your issue or suggestion, please start a new thread detailing the issue/suggestion and then please contact our publishing partner, Private Division, at their website here. Doing so will help ensure that your specific issue or suggestion is in their queue, which allows us to prioritize requests to provide the fastest possible turnaround time.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding, and we are so grateful to have you all here with us. "

dm101

Nov 13, 2018

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. I'm having a hard time going back to it and I just started exploring the groundbreaker. The improvements and new maps with bfv have drawn me back in and I haven't been able to put it down.