• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't use a single consumable in finishing the game outside of the health inhaler mapped to the left shoulder button.

I did run into a serious crunch on heavy ammo towards the end and had no equally levelled weapons to fall back on. Made the final mission a total chore

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Just couldn't get into this, tried playing it a few times now but there's just no enjoyment in it for me.

The controls also feel too floaty to me, it's a shame because I love the concept.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The game's much more fun again with blatant cheating. I really like the world (as in the narrative space, not the gameplay space) and the writing. I dunno, just cozy, enjoyable dialogue and it's great to be able to play a first-person game again where I'm actually free to make decisions. All that said, I'll probably laser focus on the main story and only do side quests that interest me.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The game's much more fun again with blatant cheating. I really like the world (as in the narrative space, not the gameplay space) and the writing. I dunno, just cozy, enjoyable dialogue and it's great to be able to play a first-person game again where I'm actually free to make decisions. All that said, I'll probably laser focus on the main story and only do side quests that interest me.
Every game is for me, tbh

Jan 10, 2018
I didn't use a single consumable in finishing the game outside of the health inhaler mapped to the left shoulder button.

I did run into a serious crunch on heavy ammo towards the end and had no equally levelled weapons to fall back on. Made the final mission a total chore

It just takes too much time to use consumables for them to be worth it. Longer and more substantial effects would've been better, as well as shortcut buttons.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Font patch incoming.

Greetings fellow spacers,

At this time, we would like to let you all know that we are looking at releasing a patch next week to implement some changes and bug fixes. This patch is currently in the testing phase and as long as no other issues occur during this time, we hope to release it to you all sometime next week. Please be aware that this can change, but we are working hard to make this timeline and things are looking good thus far.

Resolved Issues:
• The crashing issue in Tartarus
• Increase Font Size - Conversations/Subtitles
• Muffled sound effects occur at random times for players on the PS4
• Companions dying and failing companion quests on modes other than Supernova
• Unable to finish "Radio Free Monarch"
• Trophy "Not the Best Choice" fails to unlock properly

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Guess I'm just a hopeless fanboy bcaust I've loved every minute of the game and there has been no drop off. I love the old school gaming feel it has. Reminds me of fallout 2.

(Way less difficult, of course)
This is me. Other than being too easy, it's been excellent. I really love the banter with SAM. I'm a sucker for robo-dialogue in my rpgs. This reminds me of Mass Effect 2 in that way. It's been a treat.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's a good RPG wrapped around a sub-par FPS.. which is what they had to shoot for because it's what will sell. It just felt stale to me almost the whole way through, even though I thought it would be my game of the year.
Yeah, this is me as well, and it hurts so much.

There's a ROBOT companion? Oh wow, where?
It's in your ship, 2nd floor. You need to activate it first by doing a quest.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played a few nights of this and then stopped because of the font issue to play RE4. Just in time to finish Separate Ways!

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Played about six hours between yesterday (when I started) and today. The game seems amazing for now. I just wish it ran better, it looks good but not that good :\

What's up with the square pupils in everyone's eyes though? They seriously freak me out every time I'm in a dialogue.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played all that much yet, but it does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity that there aren't any other combat options to break up the monotony of either shooting or hitting things over the head. Even if they didn't want to go down the space magic/psi powers route, they still could have added grenades, mines and gadgets.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Huh. In my first playthroughs I always turned in all sidequests before going to the Geothermal Plant. This time I went to the Plant first and returned the book to Max afterwards. I was surprised you actually get to talk with him about the choice you made and even ask for his thoughts on Adelaide using corpses as fertilizer. Afterwards he immediately joined my party instead of meeting me on the ship. It doesn't really change anything, but I thought it was a nice detail.

Also, is there a way to obtain Reed's bowler hat without killing him yourself? He says he goes to live outside Edgewater's walls, but I don't know if you can actually find him somewhere.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It is so cool how what companions you have can change some small things. I was entering a room and a enemy robot started talking with me. Since I had SAM he did the talking and convinced the other robot to stand down. I had saved just before that and I reloaded and changed companions and the dialog was very different and this time it ended up being a shoot out. Game is so damn good. Still, need a balance fix, like reduce loot by 50% because you just get way too much.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. In my first playthroughs I always turned in all sidequests before going to the Geothermal Plant. This time I went to the Plant first and returned the book to Max afterwards. I was surprised you actually get to talk with him about the choice you made and even ask for his thoughts on Adelaide using corpses as fertilizer. Afterwards he immediately joined my party instead of meeting me on the ship. It doesn't really change anything, but I thought it was a nice detail.

Also, is there a way to obtain Reed's bowler hat without killing him yourself? He says he goes to live outside Edgewater's walls, but I don't know if you can actually find him somewhere.

Been wondering the same thing. In his office there is a locked door that you need his pass card, but I think the only way to get it is to kill him, but when he said that he goes to live outside of Edgewaters walls, I wonder if you can find him and still get that pass card from him?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Been wondering the same thing. In his office there is a locked door that you need his pass card, but I think the only way to get it is to kill him, but when he said that he goes to live outside of Edgewaters walls, I wonder if you can find him and still get that pass card from him?

You should save the game and kill him just to see what is in that room. It's worth it.

There's another hat that gives the same Persuade bonus. Also, there seems to be very few instances where you need 100 for Lie or Intimidate, and Persuade still seems to be the most frequently used dialogue skill in conversations. This is with having the option checked to see skill requirements in dialogue.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Is it basically the consensus to play this on the hardest difficulty?

No, play on Hard. Supernova adds a layer of shit that doesn't technically make it any more difficult. It just becomes annoying, and by maybe a third of the way through the game, the extra "challenge" is such a moot point that all you're doing is adding unnecessary tedium thanks to the lack of fast travel. Other than permanent companion deaths (which don't affect your previous saves), having to fuck around with your inventory way too often and no fast travel to anywhere but your ship, it's identical to Hard. Oh, and any body afflictions you end up with can only be healed by sleeping on the ship too.

My last playthrough was a no death/no reload Supernova run, and basically I should have been playing on Hard, since I accomplished what I wanted, but it just took longer for no good reason.

The upside I suppose is that the Cheetah perk becomes top tier by default.

Last edited:

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i hope they rework Supernova to be a toggle. Also the setting really needs to add weight to ammo.

i beat the game on Supernova and saving the game on the ship wasnt really a big deal as the game autosaves. On large planets you just move your ship to different ports to move across the larger maps.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
i hope they rework Supernova to be a toggle.

Seems like that would kind of remove part of the point of it though. Toggle it off for every single fight if you're using companions, and then just turn it back on after combat ends.

Also the setting really needs to add weight to ammo.

Wouldn't really change anything other than slightly prohibiting carrying a supply depot's worth of munitions around all of the time. By the end of the game you can have like 3K - 5K ammo per type, and you don't need even a fourth of that amount through an entire playthrough.

i beat the game on Supernova and saving the game on the ship wasnt really a big deal as the game autosaves. On large planets you just move your ship to different ports to move across the larger maps.

Saving wasn't an issue, but the backtracking was. It was just nonsensical. I want to go to the southern part of the map, but no, first I have to warp back to the ship, then move the ship to the landing pad near where I wanted to go anyway. The fast travel removal was just dumb since enemy respawn rates were so low as to not even matter. You already killed everything on your way to any given location, but you can't warp back because?

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like that would kind of remove part of the point of it though. Toggle it off for every single fight if you're using companions, and then just turn it back on after combat ends.
i meant a toggle at the start of the game separate from difficulty. Like Path of the Damned or Expert mode in Pillars.

Wouldn't really change anything other than slightly prohibiting carrying a supply depot's worth of munitions around all of the time. By the end of the game you can have like 3K - 5K ammo per type, and you don't need even a fourth of that amount through an entire playthrough.
Right, thats the point. More restrictive inventory helps the feel of games like this. When you cant just mash a button to quickly loot everything and have to consider what you are doing tends to make for a more compelling experience. If ammo weight was added it would instantly make the game better imo.

Saving wasn't an issue, but the backtracking was. It was just nonsensical. I want to go to the southern part of the map, but no, first I have to warp back to the ship, then move the ship to the landing pad near where I wanted to go anyway. The fast travel removal was just dumb since enemy respawn rates were so low as to not even matter. You already killed everything on your way to any given location, but you can't warp back because?
i didnt find a problem with it. i only did that when i needed to do a quick turn in or get something quickly. Oftentimes i just ran around. If you set companions to passive you can run around most enemies without worry once you learn the map.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
i didnt find a problem with it. i only did that when i needed to do a quick turn in or get something quickly. Oftentimes i just ran around. If you set companions to passive you can run around most enemies without worry once you learn the map.

I wasn't talking about companions. Yes, you could have simply run past enemies, but just like killing them outright, when there's no enemy to contend with, the removal of fast travel becomes pointless and just adds extra time for no reason. It would be different if the maps themselves were actually compelling enough to run through, but they weren't.

Right, thats the point. More restrictive inventory helps the feel of games like this. When you cant just mash a button to quickly loot everything and have to consider what you are doing tends to make for a more compelling experience. If ammo weight was added it would instantly make the game better imo.

I don't agree. The better approach would be to simply reduce the overall amount of ammo you find in the first place. Adding weight to ammo would either be inconsequential (oh no, all of my 1000 ammo x3 now weighs 10lbs!), or it would be too clunky for a video game. Supernova already had too much fooling around in the inventory already with the obscene eating and drinking times. I also don't really get the point of the bars at the top of the screen either near the icons. The looked like they would be some kind of timer that let you know about when you needed to eat or drink, but instead the bars never moved for me, and I would just randomly get the debuff icons.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
theouterworlds_2019113lkd2.jpg

e0c.gif

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Started a 2-handed melee/heavy armor playthrough. Edgewater was OK, but the real fun started when I reached Groundbreaker and got the Prismatic Hammer. What a badass weapon.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Would like to know how much of the game I have left, any help is appreciated:

(some location spoilers)
I just wrapped up pretty much everything that's available on Monarch, every location/sidequest etc. I also received the Navkey to Byzantium without buying it on Groundbreaker.

The game is still fun, but it being so goddamn basic and repetitive is wearing me out.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone using a Switch pro controller? Windows is detecting it fine over USB or blutooth, but the game recognises no inputs from it.

*edit, nevermind! Have to run the game through Steam to get the pro controller to work, for some reason.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Alrighty then, two crashes in less than 30 gameplay minutes means fuck this game, I'll go play something else. I can take boring gameplay, but add frequent crashing on top of that and I'm out. Maybe I'll just uninstall the game and try again next year when it's released on Steam.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Alrighty then, two crashes in less than 30 gameplay minutes means fuck this game, I'll go play something else. I can take boring gameplay, but add frequent crashing on top of that and I'm out. Maybe I'll just uninstall the game and try again next year when it's released on Steam.

Epic launcher or MS store/Game Pass?

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Anyone else think the automated robots advertising stuff in the cities sound eerily similar to the Gummy Bear speaking at the beginning of that song?

Can't get it out of my head :( . In other news, beat the game and finished up pretty much every sidequest expect one because I think it had to be botched near the end of the game. Total playtime was around 30 hours. Quite enjoyed it, especially for the $1 through GamePass. Didn't run as well as I had hoped on PC, though.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Got that too once,I have no idea why this happened lol...
It happened immediately after I recruited Felix for the first time ever, so I thought it had something to do with him. But I went to talk to him and he didn't say anything about it. Neither did the other companions or ADA.

I was just totally flabbergasted by it, haha.

I googled it and apparently it's a random easter egg and reference to Firefly, which makes the gif I posted unintentionally appropriate.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It happened immediately after I recruited Felix for the first time ever, so I thought it had something to do with him. But I went to talk to him and he didn't say anything about it. Neither did the other companions or ADA.

I googled it and apparently it's a random easter egg and reference to Firefly, which makes the gif I posted unintentionally appropriate.
There's supposed to be a quick line of dialogue from ADA about ordering fertilizer or something, but it seems to not play for a ton of people.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017

I honestly thought you were joking and got the reference because of the appropriate gif. 🤣