• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been really enjoying this game so far but I'm in The Pit on Tartarus and whenever I go into a paticular room that I'm pretty sure is mandatory the game just crashes. Has done so four times now. Has anyone else expierenced this? On Gamepass on Xbox One S. I've uninstalled and am currently reinstalling to see if that fixes it.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Got my last companion last night and when he joined SAM said something like "computing... You are now classified as NOT GARBAGE!". Just got to Byzandium. Am I getting close to the end?

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Would like to know how much of the game I have left, any help is appreciated:

(some location spoilers)
I just wrapped up pretty much everything that's available on Monarch, every location/sidequest etc. I also received the Navkey to Byzantium without buying it on Groundbreaker.

The game is still fun, but it being so goddamn basic and repetitive is wearing me out.

i can relate! hang in there - you're pretty much approaching end game...

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been really enjoying this game so far but I'm in The Pit on Tartarus and whenever I go into a paticular room that I'm pretty sure is mandatory the game just crashes. Has done so four times now. Has anyone else expierenced this? On Gamepass on Xbox One S. I've uninstalled and am currently reinstalling to see if that fixes it.
Nope, reinstalling didn't fix. Here's a video of the crash: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsgV5vE9tLcZ3EcgbOBRHcdnxVuR?e=fcdhc7

If no one knows why it happens/how to fix it then I guess my otherwise great time with The Outer Worlds has come to a dissapointing and anticlimactic end.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I just decided to pick this up yesterday since I took the day off. Did anyone else have to crank up the difficulty? I was playing on normal as a sniper and I haven't approached death at all. Primals seem to be the only real challenge and even then, enemies apparently have a range they will follow before they run back.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Felix and Parvati discussing the latest serial and Parvati just casually talks about holding hands. I know this is a 18+ game, but I hadn't expected these levels of lewdness.

Nope, reinstalling didn't fix. Here's a video of the crash: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsgV5vE9tLcZ3EcgbOBRHcdnxVuR?e=fcdhc7

If no one knows why it happens/how to fix it then I guess my otherwise great time with The Outer Worlds has come to a dissapointing and anticlimactic end.
I've heard other people experience it as well. Last I heard a patch is on its way, but I don't know when it will be out.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What's the deal with Celeste's quest? I'm trying to find "Spacer" gear to wear but she's not reacting to anything that I buy off of the Groundbreaker. Anyone have an outfit combo that works for sure?

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Getting my butt handed to me on Hard. Any tips for a first timer? I lean towards stealth and avoiding combat in general.

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What's the deal with Celeste's quest? I'm trying to find "Spacer" gear to wear but she's not reacting to anything that I buy off of the Groundbreaker. Anyone have an outfit combo that works for sure?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Getting my butt handed to me on Hard. Any tips for a first timer? I lean towards stealth and avoiding combat in general.

Plant your companions in an advantageous spot, engage the enemy, and use line of sight to make them come to you. Use TTD (drains slow when not moving) to shoot humans in the leg. This will drop them, then you can exit TTD, and easily blast away on their heads. For mechs, TTD and shoot their blue spots (cell on legs, torso, or back). Plasma works well against most, not all, beasts.

I mean...avoiding combat is pretty much just running/sneaking around them in the world to get to your objective, but unless you're trying to be a pacifist, you'll have to fight in close quarters. Stealth in this game is less about sneak attacking everyone while they never see you, and more about getting a free hit on them to start combat, or using the environment to sneak around and maybe get a better angle where you can shoot an exploding barrel by them, or hack a terminal to disable mechs.

First couple of times you tinker a weapon or armor is cheap, so that helps. Give your companions better gear and use their special abilities that disable/knockdown enemies.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Still cant find the special science weapon on Groundbreaker...got the other...can someone spoiler a hint ;)...I am level 22,quite a ways in,pretty sure I should have it by now.

It was kind of already answered, but more specifically:
From the docking bay/security area, look for the "13" on the walls, and go into the room with the beds in that area. As soon as you walk in, to your left there are some jumpable crates that let you walk along the top of the other beds to reach an open crawlspace.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you know what a Turanga Leela is, I recommend bringing Ellie and SAM when meeting Captain Irion on Scylla.
Don't know what other crew members have to say, but I think I incidentally picked the right combo there.

Another reference that's gorram easy to pick up on is of course the occasional cows in the cargo bay.

I like the little ship interludes. Makes the ship feel more lively and homey, like people live their lives and things happen regardless of whether you're around, even though of course these scripts only do happen when you're around. It's an improvement over what Mass Effect did.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Game felt short but I enjoyed every moment of it aside from the difficulty walls during the first part of hard mode.

I'm very critical of fetch quests but the flavor of Obsidian's storytelling made them quite enjoyable. I hope they'll make a sequel with a AAA-Microsoft budget that's faithful to single player RPGs a la New Vegas.

Saci do PXB

Nov 12, 2017

Obsidian did a patch for this. It's scheduled for next week.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
So about Gladys and the distress signal quest, I gave her the raptidon musk, the gun schematics and I lied to her and told her that the toothpaste was actually ship fuel, she was happy, gave me a ton of money, but not the NavKey. I thought she would give it to me for free, do I need to buy it?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Room with white beds after the space jail? There are some boxes to jump on top of them

[/QUOTE]"Sanctuary, post: 26285648, member: 11627"]
It was kind of already answered, but more specifically:
From the docking bay/security area, look for the "13" on the walls, and go into the room with the beds in that area. As soon as you walk in, to your left there are some jumpable crates that let you walk along the top of the other beds to reach an open crawlspace.
[/QUOTE]

Nice,got it thanks guys...Also I didnt get any companion quest for Ellie yet,finished all the others,well besides SAM,unless he gets one later.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I just decided to pick this up yesterday since I took the day off. Did anyone else have to crank up the difficulty? I was playing on normal as a sniper and I haven't approached death at all. Primals seem to be the only real challenge and even then, enemies apparently have a range they will follow before they run back.

Yes the game is extremely easy.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Ran into a quest bug on Groundbreaker with MacRedd, don't enter the Back Bays until you've talked to everyone else first.

I'd already done the bounty quest the peaceful way, and now that I need radiator parts for another quest there aren't any dialogue options left. My only choice is to kill MacRedd which I wanted to avoid doing, and stealth is impossible too.

Apr 3, 2018
So I expect to wrap up my first play through tonight. Already chomping at the bit to knock out Supernova and 100% this bad boy.

Is a 2-h melee build centered on Prismatic Hammer viable for Supernova? Don't plan on using companions due to permadeath.

But just looking for a build that will get me through Supernova as painlessly and quickly as possible, as I've already done the bulk of achievements.

Edited: forgot a word

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
So I expect to wrap up my first play through tonight. Already chomping at the bit to knock out Supernova and 100% this bad boy.

Is a 2-h melee build centered on Prismatic Hammer viable for Supernova? Don't plan on using companions due to permadeath.

But just looking a build that will get me through Supernova as painlessly as possible, as I've already done the bulk of achievements.
It's been working for me. Gotta mod multiples for different encounters.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So about Gladys and the distress signal quest, I gave her the raptidon musk, the gun schematics and I lied to her and told her that the toothpaste was actually ship fuel, she was happy, gave me a ton of money, but not the NavKey. I thought she would give it to me for free, do I need to buy it?
That confused me too at first, but yeah, you still have to buy the nav key at full price. The distress signal quest is just to give you an opportunity to make more money basically.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Downloaded this from gamepass on my brothers One X.

Putting the controller down was a struggle. It feels like we haven't had an RPG like this the entire generation. Really feels like the perfect combination of New Vegas and Mass Effect.

Can't wait to play more in a few weeks! May even double dip for the ps4 version when the price is cheaper.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I am on the Groundbreaker now, have enjoyed my time in the Emerald Vale and on the station. I really enjoy the writing and the amount of dialogue choice options. I also think you can influence quite a bit how things pan out in this game world so that's really nice. I'm not the biggest fan of the gameplay though. Also, you can see the budget constraints everywhere. Immersion would be a lot higher if NPCs don't just stand around etc. You can feel the limitations in many aspects. A potential sequel with more funding and bigger scope will surely be a game to watch out for!

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game on Hard, the end fight was ridiculously hard in comparison to what came before, but I'm glad I'm done with the game now. Ultimately, it was fun enough for me to power through the game, but my expectations on a new Obsidian game were too high and ultimately makes me feel the game is a major disappointment with too many glaring issues.

Some of the cons:
- The balancing: on Hard, the beginning of the game is quite tough, but then it becomes way too easy up until the last area of the game where the massive difficulty spike sullies everything.
- The itemization: one of the worst itemizations I've encountered in a role-playing game in a long time. You're absolutely OVERWHELMED non-stop with the same type of items, from dead bodies, from bins/chests, from the environment etc. Also, the reward in exploration is quite low since the majority of the items are basic, non-unique stuff with few exceptions. Inventory/weight management becomes more of a burden than anything else, and breaking down equipment overwhelms you with repair parts.
- The combat: not much nuance to it, and going long-range/heavy weapon feels like the only viable way forward unless you want everything to grind to a halt. TTD is alright, but every combat encounter plays out the same way. I essentially underequipped my companions in order to create more of a challenge; figured I might bring them along due to their involvement in dialogue and didn't want to miss out.
- The enemy variation: haven't played GreedFall but heard lots about its lack of enemy variety, but I can't imagine it being worse than here. Hell, even the final boss is an enemy type you get to encounter earlier in the game which I HATE.
- The skills/perks: the idea of accepting negative traits in order to get extra perk points was novel but ultimately didn't amount to anything due to the basic nature of the combat. Also, the skill checks throughout the game are way too forgiving making it too easy to be a generalist (until very late in the game where the 100 skill checks don't really open up alternate approaches or anything unique). Due to the ease of the combat, many, many skills and perks don't really bring anything unique to the table.
- The world design: At the start, it bodes well since it feels like a nicely designed game world, but the lack of height maps, non-intricate map layouts and a very "gamey" way of framing/locking in the open world grates on you. Also, I think it's too bad the brunt of the exploration is relegated to Edgewater and then to Monarch, making some of the smaller areas feel like afterthoughts despite them being more interesting from a visual standpoint (looking at you, Scylla). Finally, too many quests force you to travel all over the place, inducing constant load screens, and the lack of good hidden paths almost forces you to tackle the straightforward quests head-on in a very unoriginal way.
- The UI: whenever you need to do any kind of item management, the UI falls apart completely. Sorting options are relegated only to the main inventory screen and are not available when you manage your companions, it's easy to accidentally move/break down items you don't want to because the cursor jumps all over the fucking place, and so on. Some of the worst UI behavior I've seen recently.
- The quest design: Too many fetch quests with unoriginal ways of completing them. With all the skills thrown at you, such as lockpicking/stealth/hacking etc., you'd think you would be able to come up with more inventive ways of solving stuff, but nope. The Deus Ex games are so much better in that regard.
- The shroud: Cool at first, but it really gets old the further you go into the game. Especially with the forgiving skill checks if you get caught.

Last edited:

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I just finished this game, and I really like it! But I find that the Obsidian way of ending games is not how I'd like a story with heavy dialogue to end. I felt the same way in New Vegas, though I realize there were a lot of moving parts and it wasn't really practical to do something else.

But the "good ending" implies a lot of really sentimental moments depending on how you play it.
You might be entering the new leadership of Halcyon. Ellie gets her own ship. Parvati, thanks to your gumption and support, enters a relationship with Junlei and joins the Groundbreaker. Dr. Welles succeeds in his work but doesn't see all the fruits of his labor because he eventually passes away.

The one arguably good thing Mass Effect 3 did in its final act was give you the chance to speak to your crewmates one last time before you went upstairs to your assumed suicide mission.
So, Ellie showing you her new ship at the dock? You dropping Parvati off to the Groundbreaker and giving her a hug and your phone number because you want the deets later? Sitting in an office talking to Welles one last time, or attending his funeral?

I really regret that epilogue missions or quests aren't available in a lot of games like this; I feel ripped away when I suddenly see a talkative game end with a bunch of cards, personally.

By the way, kudos to the rough solution to the Edgewater problem.
Helping Adelaide doesn't make her more generous in the end; she keeps most of her old neighbors out and they inevitably starve, before she passes away over a winter. Helping "the man" actually can help more people.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game on Hard, the end fight was ridiculously hard in comparison to what came before, but I'm glad I'm done with the game now. Ultimately, it was fun enough for me to power through the game, but my expectations on a new Obsidian game were too high and ultimately makes me feel the game is a major disappointment with too many glaring issues.

Some of the cons:
- The balancing: on Hard, the beginning of the game is quite tough, but then it becomes way too easy up until the last area of the game where the massive difficulty spike sullies everything.
- The itemization: one of the worst itemizations I've encountered in a role-playing game in a long time. You're absolutely OVERWHELMED non-stop with the same type of items, from dead bodies, from bins/chests, from the environment etc. Also, the reward in exploration is quite low since the majority of the items are basic, non-unique stuff with few exceptions. Inventory/weight management becomes more of a burden than anything else, and breaking down equipment overwhelms you with repair parts.
- The combat: not much nuance to it, and going long-range/heavy weapon feels like the only viable way forward unless you want everything to grind to a halt. TTD is alright, but every combat encounter plays out the same way. I essentially underequipped my companions in order to create more of a challenge; figured I might bring them along due to their involvement in dialogue and didn't want to miss out.
- The enemy variation: haven't played GreedFall but heard lots about its lack of enemy variety, but I can't imagine it being worse than here. Hell, even the final boss is an enemy type you get to encounter earlier in the game which I HATE.
- The skills/perks: the idea of accepting negative traits in order to get extra perk points was novel but ultimately didn't amount to anything due to the basic nature of the combat. Also, the skill checks throughout the game are way too forgiving making it too easy to be a generalist (until very late in the game where the 100 skill checks don't really open up alternate approaches or anything unique). Due to the ease of the combat, many, many skills and perks don't really bring anything unique to the table.
- The world design: At the start, it bodes well since it feels like a nicely designed game world, but the lack of height maps, non-intricate map layouts and a very "gamey" way of framing/locking in the open world grates on you. Also, I think it's too bad the brunt of the exploration is relegated to Edgewater and then to Monarch, making some of the smaller areas feel like afterthoughts despite them being more interesting from a visual standpoint (looking at you, Scylla). Finally, too many quests force you to travel all over the place, inducing constant load screens, and the lack of good hidden paths almost forces you to tackle the straightforward quests head-on in a very unoriginal way.
- The UI: whenever you need to do any kind of item management, the UI falls apart completely. Sorting options are relegated only to the main inventory screen and are not available when you manage your companions, it's easy to accidentally move/break down items you don't want to because the cursor jumps all over the fucking place, and so on. Some of the worst UI behavior I've seen recently.
- The quest design: Too many fetch quests with unoriginal ways of completing them. With all the skills thrown at you, such as lockpicking/stealth/hacking etc., you'd think you would be able to come up with more inventive ways of solving stuff, but nope. The Deus Ex games are so much better in that regard.
- The shroud: Cool at first, but it really gets old the further you go into the game. Especially with the forgiving skill checks if you get caught.

I agree with pretty much everything (yup items and exploration are really bad) but one thing. The 100 skill checks at the end really do change the approach though. You can actually persuade/intimidate instead of fighting the final boss. You can also convince the guard at the beginning of the final area with the 100 check to give you the cartridge for the area so you can simply walk to the end without fighting.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm really sorry enjoying this so far, about to start Monarch. Seems like there's a bit of a backlash forming now along with a lot of negativity, kinda wish I just kept in the dark about it til I completed it. Will do so with Control and maybe Greedfall when I get to them as it seems the year for niche non huge AAA titles.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hearing about the difficulty has dampened my excitement to play more of this :(

You can always just make it harder yourself, don't level up weapons, don't mod them, don't tinker with them , don't use perks, don't increase companion health etc.
I'm really sorry enjoying this so far, about to start Monarch. Seems like there's a bit of a backlash forming now along with a lot of negativity, kinda wish I just kept in the dark about it til I completed it. Will do so with Control and maybe Greedfall when I get to them as it seems the year for niche non huge AAA titles.

The only opinion that matters is your own.

This game is literally perfect to me, already one of my top of the gen. That's how I feel and that's all that matters to me .

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it. I really wanted to love it, but by the end, I was getting a bit tired. Was ultimately just alright for me, everything considered. I really do hope there is a sequel that fixes some of the issues I had.

1) Was not a fan of the itemization or upgrading. It felt very barebones.

2) The companions were too far into the background for me to really establish a bond or care about them. Parvati was the only exception to this, and yes I did switch out and make different groups often. I wanted to hear their opinions more during conversations or big decisions.

3) This is entirely personal preference, but I really miss a sense of exploration due to the smaller spaces here. It all feels very compartmentalized.

There were some other problems I had, but those were the major ones for me. Nothing that couldn't be addressed in a sequel.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, just noticed that my second Parvati companion quest is bugged. Says botched in the quest menu and that Parvati is dead (she is well alive). It's a known bug and some people can still trigger the steps of the quest just without the xp reward but that's not working for me either. Guess I'll wait for a patch or have to jump back several hours. Ugh and I was so happy to have a bug free obsidian game

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Wrapped this up tonight - overall I'm pretty meh on the game, but still think it's a great foundation for future installments. I echo a lot of the comments about falling off pretty hard around Monarch. Just a bunch of thoughts below:
  • Game made a really good first impression - really liked the opening and it was nice to see some fun animations in a Fallout-like game.
  • I started getting bored a little ways in the first world, but figured it was me just trying to figure out the game loop
  • Got back into it on Groundbreaker and lost a lot of time there
  • Really fell off a cliff for me a couple of hours into Monarch - the missions just started to feel tedious
  • Enemy variety started being a problem around this time as well - the wildlife weren't any fun to fight, and the human opponents' weapons and attacks aren't really varied, so I just stopped caring about combat encounters
  • I think what really hurts Monarch is that the story just hangs for a bit - it didn't feel like any of the jobs or tasks I doing was really contributing to my main objective.
  • I hated that the suspend function of Xbox doesn't really work with this game - would get booted to main menu and have to load every time I resumed play which was annoying as I tend to play in shorter bursts rather than long sessions on most days
  • Load times were a pain in general - load to ship - load to docking bay, and then sometimes load to fast travel to a place closer to your objective. Got really tedious by the end
  • Inventory management was still a pain in the ass. While much better than the little gadget in Fallout, it needs better sort and compare options. By the end I just stopped caring
  • Speaking on inventory, I barely ever touched the first aid screen. Just gathered stuff to the point where navigating it seemed impossible.
  • Overall, took me around 26 and a half hours to beat the game - that included all companion quests and the majority of side quests/tasks/faction quests. I started skipping towards the end, but was pretty meticulous on every planet up to that point.
  • I really liked the companions. They did a great job making them all feel pretty unique.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
this game was fucking made for me, I love this Fallout/Bioshock style...good lord. can't stop playing been staying up until 3 am for the past couple days and exploring every single corner