• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm near the end of the game about to enter the room with
Chairman Maxwell on the prison planet
and my game hard crashes the second I enter the room. I have a quicksave right before it and it crashes every time. I went full stealth through the place, has anyone else had this problem?

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I finished the game the other day and started up a Dumb/Melee build. I think I'd misplaced my expectations for the dumb dialogue because I wasn't expecting to still have access to so many standard non-dumb options and so I'm a bit disappointed how similar it all feels. I was hoping to be extremely dumb (not that the dumb options aren't great when they do pop up).

Looking forward to making different major choices, though.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
and my game hard crashes the second I enter the room. I have a quicksave right before it and it crashes every time. I went full stealth through the place, has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah, just go back out into the central chamber and make your way to the door on the opposite side. Should be able to enter without it crashing then.

JohnnyEnglish

Apr 15, 2018
I finished the game the other day and started up a Dumb/Melee build. I think I'd misplaced my expectations for the dumb dialogue because I wasn't expecting to still have access to so many standard non-dumb options and so I'm a bit disappointed how similar it all feels. I was hoping to be extremely dumb (not that the dumb options aren't great when they do pop up).

They were going more for Zapp Brannigankind of stupid instead of the really stupid dialogue like in Fallout 2 or Arcanum.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I imagine it would have been difficult to recapture the dumb dialogue of Fallout 2 considering Fallout 2 was almost entirely text-based. Having to voice enough lines that respond to a large amount of unique dialogue would probably be a costly task.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Can't get over how bad this looks on my Xbox One. I dig the art style but the graphics whore in me is really struggling with how ugly this is.
Is Halo on the original XBox a better looker from nearly 20 years ago or am I misremembering?

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I just started the game and I'm digging it. It's very Fallout like which is great to me. I'm playing on hard mode and I'm getting my ass kicked at time. Gotta get better gear.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Finished the game yesterday. It's a good game but also one where limited budget clearly shows. I played Fallout 3 at the beginning of the year and the way NPCs inhabited the world was pretty similar and just way too static in general. The writing, dialogue choices and various approaches to solving quests was the biggest strength of the game. The end of the game also takes up all major decisions and I was satisfied with how they wrapped it up. I believe this is one of the few games where the replay value is really high. Gameplay-wise the hard difficulty mode felt about right to me. Battles were a too chaotic for my liking though. Environmental design also needs to be improved for the next game in this franchise.

All in all, good game but as for the future, I expect more from Obsidian after their acquisition by Microsoft.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Hyperbole much? I'm playing on an X and it looks great. The CA is awful, though.
A One X? Well yeah I'm sure it looks better.
No hyperbole here. It's the worst looking game I've played in a long time. Textures aren't popping in for me until I look at an object for more than a couple of seconds. That is bad, so when I'm moving around the world it's a muddy mess. I've stuck it out though as I'm enjoying the gunplay. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
A One X? Well yeah I'm sure it looks better.
No hyperbole here. It's the worst looking game I've played in a long time. Textures aren't popping in for me until I look at an object for more than a couple of seconds. That is bad, so when I'm moving around the world it's a muddy mess. I've stuck it out though as I'm enjoying the gunplay. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Wow, yeah, it's a completely different experience on the X. That sucks, dude.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Just started last night and my first thought is that Microsoft needs to give Obsidian a massive budget, for their own Skyrim.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finished after 42 hours and wow what an experience, one of my favorite games of the generation for sure.

I really liked the ending I got, I got rewarded for doing side quests.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe it's because this game leans heavily into its KotOR/Mass Effect influence, but I found myself really missing the ability to switch to a third-person perspective. I get that this a budget thing, but with this game having a pretty great character creator and lots of cool gear, it would have been nice to have more opportunities to actually see our character. Maybe conversations could have been set up to be KotOR style where it cuts back to your character? Maybe they could add a photo mode? Fallout 4, for all its faults, had a fairly decent feeling third-person mode (for general exploration at least). While I would love for a third-person mode to be patched in, I doubt it will happen with this game. Hopefully a larger budget sequel will have this option!

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
You can also get past it by sending both of your squadmates back to the ship before entering that room. Still, super annoying.

Just finished this myself. I really liked it. Wish there was less junky loot as I was struggling with the weight limitations of how much you can carry the entire game. Shouldn't have bothered though, since halfway in, the game became ridiculously easy.

Has anyone tried to finish this game by straight up killing everyone? Wondering how that would turn out.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried to finish this game by straight up killing everyone? Wondering how that would turn out.

I have tried a few times, but don't get much past the first planet because I found it to be a pretty dull way to play. YMMV, but I think the best parts of this game are the characters and some of the dialogue.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Have I screwed up?

On Byzantium...

i have just sent the message to Earth from the terminal of Minister Clarke. It now means the Board are angry with me and shooting at me at sight. Will I lose access to some dialogue etc now? I.e. if the board are always going to shoot me on sight - have I screwed up future missions?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Maybe it's because this game leans heavily into its KotOR/Mass Effect influence, but I found myself really missing the ability to switch to a third-person perspective. I get that this a budget thing, but with this game having a pretty great character creator and lots of cool gear, it would have been nice to have more opportunities to actually see our character. Maybe conversations could have been set up to be KotOR style where it cuts back to your character? Maybe they could add a photo mode? Fallout 4, for all its faults, had a fairly decent feeling third-person mode (for general exploration at least). While I would love for a third-person mode to be patched in, I doubt it will happen with this game. Hopefully a larger budget sequel will have this option!
I'm with you here. That's a reason why I hope there are lot of third person cutscenes in Cyberpunk. I always a third person view when I can create my character. Even in past TES and Fallout games with the second camera mode it wasn't THAT great because you only see your character from behind and you had to manually rotate the camera. Games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect really "spoiled" me in that regard and I was really happy that Bethesda decided for a dialog camera in Fallout 4 (which could also be turned off the options for people not liking it which is super cool). It really increased the bonding between me and my character. That the character was speaking even more so. But even if he or she doesn't, like in Dragon Age 1, it's still great to see them.

Your only chance to see your character in TOW is in the menu and if stand still for a minute or so and the camera starts to rotate around you.

I don't mind if the gameplay first person only, but then devs should go for other options where I can see my character in more instances than in the character menu/inventory.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished the game,
Parvati's
tedious fetch quest sending me to Byzantium, combined with the fact that I was labeled as shoot on sight on Byzantium is the closest I came to telling someone to get the fuck off my ship.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Checking my Trophies revealed that I never got the hard difficulty trophy despite finishing the game on hard.
Such bullshit, I had it on hard from the very beginning.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Just finished it yesterday.
Imho, the theme of the game is really nice, the soundtrack and the writing and story.
But overall, the gameplay feels pretty weak, halfway through it felt very very repetitive and tedious. Shooting requires almost no tactic from beginning to the end, and the loot is well..... pretty shit. Loot is the weakest point in this game. Everything is just bits and ammos, after having 3000 ammos, I just stopped looking and taking anything.
The bantering was really nice, and there are plenty of banters. Most of the quest is just fetch quests, weapons are quite boring too, nothing much special with science weapons, end up just using plasma rifle all the way, with the occasional sniper for outdoors.
There isn't any big or game changing discoveries to be made outside getting your companions, overall, I think this game is a 6.5 to 7.
It has lots of potential, but none of them is achieved.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this game last night. It was great.

The combat is the least interesting thing about it, but the dialog options and the general freedom of choice that you have to complete a lot of these missions based on your strengths was always the best thing about it. I miss Parvati and Nyoka already. The companion characters were wonderfully drawn and interesting.

This is a definite 9/10 for me at worst; it's the KotOR III that I've been waiting for now for years. It's definitely my GotY, and though I have a couple of games to catch up on before I vote, I'd be stunned if any of them supplanted this game for me.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
One quick question: do skills stack?

I have science at 100. Now I'm trying to max long guns and I don't see any change in damage numbers of my guns at all. I am comparing ultra assault rifle that does shock damage and required skill is long guns. After applying 10 points to long guns, damage number doesn't change at all. In my settings I have unchecked "Show Base Item Stats". So number should be adjusted based on my skill.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
One quick question: do skills stack?

I have science at 100. Now I'm trying to max long guns and I don't see any change in damage numbers of my guns at all. I am comparing ultra assault rifle that does shock damage and required skill is long guns. After applying 10 points to long guns, damage number doesn't change at all. In my settings I have unchecked "Show Base Item Stats". So number should be adjusted based on my skill.
I could be entirely wrong but I don't think the skills impact damage numbers. Or at least not all, I believe science weapons DO get a bonus from your science skill.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
not enough exploration/walking in this for me. i love all the dialogue but one of the pleasures i got from FO games was walking in a direction on the large map and seeing what i can find. that isn't present in this game so far as i can tell. it's a real shame. the planet hopping just isn't as cool as one big walkable space.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Hi guys, does the Window Store/Game Pass version of the game update automatically? And is there a way to check the version?

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Patch 1.1.1.0 is out.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/112824-the-outer-worlds-patch-11-release-notes/

Resolved Issues for Patch 1.1.1.0:
  • The game crashing at a specific point when the player has reached Tartarus has been resolved
  • Toggle to increase the font size (found in the UI tab under Settings). Increases font for conversation text, cinematic subtitles, bark subtitles, and terminal text.
  • Players will no longer experience muffled sounds when playing on the PlayStation 4
  • The Prismatic Hammer has been rebalanced.
  • Various quest fixes made including "Radio Free Monarch"
  • The achievement/trophy for "It's Not the Best Choice" will pop correctly
  • Existing Botched companion quests will have their status reset to Active allowing the player to add them to a party when leaving the ship in order to un-botch the quests, unless the death occurred prior to unlocking the companion quest.

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, but foliage density has been fixed on Xbox One X. It makes a pretty big difference!
They fixed that? Really??? Shit, I need to try it out. It was really odd that they fucked that up, but if they fixed that it is great. I was really noticeable between the Pro version the "X" version. The X version still looks a lot better with the higher end textures, higher resolution, draw distance but that foliage density was really noticeable if you looked/played the PS4 version.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
They updated the Patch notes to include the foliage fix for Xbox....

General:

• Foliage on the Xbox One now has parity with the foliage on PlayStation 4

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Hi guys, does the Window Store/Game Pass version of the game update automatically? And is there a way to check the version?
In the Windows Store three dot menu (top left) click Downloads and updates, then click Get updates. That oughtta do it!
Alternatively, if you use the Xbox Beta app on PC, you click on TOW to get the full details and on the right side in the main/details window you have "Get Update" above the play button.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Finished already, it's like Under the sun of tuscany of RPG, above all is very pleasant and enjoyable to play.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly I've hit a game breaking bug that essentially halts all progression.

In Byazantium I did the Early Retirement quest which has resulted on everyone in Byzantium becoming hostile to me.

I've tried the recommended fix of setting my companions to Passive, running back to the ship and then sleeping for several days, still hostile.
Travelled to another planet, slept for more days, everyone still hostile.

Every quest I have left is in Byzantium now, including the story quests.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Started playing (2hours in) this on Pro but still asking myself if this game is for me. :(

I dont know what Im doing and fee lost.