• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
That's all fine and good, until you put a score on it. He admits to liking the game, except that because he personally feels bored with the genre now, it magically makes the game a lower score than what the apparent average is. In other words, "this game looks great, plays great, and I enjoyed playing it. Normally, I think I'd give this game an 8.5/10, but I'm so done with this genre lately. 7/10." You don't see the problem with that?
This^^

Him being jaded of this particular genre definitely plays a role in his review, which I don't think is exactly fair.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I just read the Eurogamer review and don't see the problem. It was well written and echoed seemed to confirm many of the concerns I had about the game. Now, I'm still playing Day 1, but nothing about TOW grabbed me with regards to its writing or setting in the previews. It just seemed like FO: NV in a Mass Effect type setting. It didn't look to be offering anything new and the writing didn't seem particularly cutting. That's fine.

FO: NV in Mass Effect coating is something I'm entirely down for even if it is entirely derivative. The fact is we don't get many AAA or AA RPGs of this scale anymore. So, I'll play whatever comes out. But, it's clear the game isn't some revolutionary new take with absolutely timely and cutting writing.
Some reviews have described it as pretty much exactly that, for what it's worth. When it comes to the 'timely and cutting writing', at least.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Jeff Gerstmann and Brad were gushing on Bombcast over this game. In a way I haven't heard them praise something so highly in a while. You could really sense the genuine enthusiasm from both as they talked up the game and their time playing it.

It's rare that something hits the team and you hear more than one voice on the podcast pushing it hard. Though neither finished the game yet as of recording, both could not put it down.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Coh his stream and love the dialogue already. It has alot of character. Voice actors and lines are well done.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm planning for it to go up around 6pm UK time... so in 7 hours from this post. I'm at work at the moment but it's all ready to go for when I'm home from work.
Nice.
Mine. Sincere apologies it is late. Out of my hands.
Rated it a Buy but it does have some issues folks should be aware of depending on what they are looking for.
I'll watch it when I get home.

Yasha81

Sep 24, 2019
To everyone getting mad at divergent opinions: get over it. Reviews are subjective exercises where people provide their opinions and thoughts on a game.

Personally, I'm going to wait for this to go on sale - not super interested in paying a bunch of cash for a game that's relatively safe and humdrum.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Its always funny when people get up in arms about criticizing reviews cause they're opinions. Guess what, not liking the review is also an opinion. You cant defend one and try to shut the other

The eurogamer review is fine as the authors opinion cause its not scored so he can feel as burned out or hate rpgs as much as he wants. However he doesnt articulate quite well the issues he have with the game other than that, and the final paragraph is quite laughable.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To everyone getting mad at divergent opinions: get over it. Reviews are subjective exercises where people provide their opinions and thoughts on a game.

Personally, I'm going to wait for this to go on sale - not super interested in paying a bunch of cash for a game that's relatively safe and humdrum.
same, im sure the game is good but im looking for more

JohnnyEnglish

Apr 15, 2018

To everyone getting mad about people criticizing a bad review; get over it. We have the right to criticize a review that we think is bad.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Do reviews mention the tiny text size or even an option to increase text size?

This is going to be really bad on consoles.

the-outer-worlds-5.jpg

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Karak review made me so fucking hyped, like, holy shit. Its a parfect game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Its truly a mad world when a traditional choice driven rpg is being painted as "meh, this is super safe, better go back to my risky innovation driven battle royale first person shooters"

I wish i lived in the same reality as you people and games like this came out all the time

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
Its truly a mad world when a traditional choice driven rpg is being painted as "meh, this is super safe, better go back to my risky innovation driven battle royale first person shooters"

I wish i lived in the same reality as you people and games like this came out all the time
I don't think that's what people are getting at. For me it sounds like a fine game, but it doesn't do anything crazy and it sounds relatively tame in terms of its components. Safe doesn't just apply to the biggest blockbuster games out now. It's also not an inherently bad thing, Obsidian kind of needed a game like this.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
XGP is telling me to choose a drive that's formatted to NTFS, which that drive already is. Looks like I can't install the game on anything but the C:\

edit: nevermind, got it to work by choosing a different default drive in the Xbox settings, then downloading the game from the Microsoft Store by clicking the triple dots next to "Install" and choosing "Install on other device"
Thanks for the tip, I'll give this a try tonight.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Do reviews mention the tiny text size or even an option to increase text size?

This is going to be really bad on consoles.

the-outer-worlds-5.jpg
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing too since the recent previews.

Exactly. We need more RPGs to actually play as one, something like this.

And yet people say it's more of the same? How, where, when? Please, show us.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
People saying this is a safe gave is just batshit crazy. A semi-open world game with rpg elements (not sone bullshit rpg lite elements like Breakpoint , Far Cry etc) , multiple choices that actually affect the campaign, and a non-bloated map.

That sounds like risk to me since it doesn't adhere to the live service crap, or how the game actually forces the player to make decisions

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire

Seriously. Arguably bad wording from a couple of reviews and we've had several posts now using it to knock the game or dismiss it entirely. It's as bad as saying a genre which consists of 4 (3D) games is tired.

Karak spot on review as usual. I had to skip some of it, I'm more than sold now. I'd be buying for full price where it not for gamepass, but damn I'm gonna take advantage of that offer thank you MS. I'm sure the devs are getting their piece of pie and it shows MS that I like GP. Of course when mods become a thing it's fuck you and goodnight Windows App.

Is anyone streaming PC? I can't watch but a word on settings and/or performance would be appreciated.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I got this installed on my PC, but i also have a one x. I know it's cross play, but does it have cross save?

Yasha81

Sep 24, 2019
To everyone getting mad about people criticizing a bad review; get over it. We have the right to criticize a review that we think is bad.

What makes the review bad aside from the fact that you disagree with it? The author expressed dissatisfaction at the game and it's failure (in their view) to improve the genre. That's a perfectly valid point of view and by no means the only one.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably get this on PS4 later on, looks awesome, but wow that text size is small. Is there any way at all to change it?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, thank you. I'm disappointed regarding the different embargo times Private Division put into place. I always look to your reviews first for a solid, quality take on games.
A couple companies have done it as well and I have spoken about it on the Friday podcasts but I will be doing a video on it soon

Oct 25, 2017
Did Karak shit in someone's cereal that he gets all these restrictions for multiple games? He's generally positive and doesn't even give scored reviews to bring down a metacritic so what the fuck is up.

Youtubers in general get harsher embargoes or games in a later date than "traditional" press. Doesn't happen with every game, but with enough to make it quite frustrating sometimes

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
man how is all these tiny texts gonna look on the switch screen? :/
my phone's screen is the exact same size and aspect ratio as the Switch Lite's. if I full-screen that screenshot to replicate what it'd look like if I were playing the game... yeah the text is uncomfortably small. not unplayably so, buuuut I really hope they adjust the scaling for the Switch release.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having some trouble finding confirmation if this will be on Xbox Gamepass for PC or not. Looks like Xbox Gamepass only, while for sale at full price on Epic and MS Store on PC?

I already have Gamepass Ultimate, but really want to play this on PC. I'll probably end up playing it on Xbox since I've already paid my sheckles.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I finally installed my first PC Gamepass game :)
I was surprised to see release date there listed as tomorrow.
Doesn't this come out Friday?
I wonder if it's like midnight tomorrow night or something.

either way I can't wait! GOTY incoming