• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having some trouble finding confirmation if this will be on Xbox Gamepass for PC or not. Looks like Xbox Gamepass only, while for sale at full price on Epic and MS Store on PC?

I already have Gamepass Ultimate, but really want to play this on PC. I'll probably end up playing it on Xbox since I've already paid my sheckles.

It is absolutely on Game Pass for PC and can be downloaded now, with being able to start playing at 7 PM EST tomorrow night too I think from what others have said.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm having some trouble finding confirmation if this will be on Xbox Gamepass for PC or not. Looks like Xbox Gamepass only, while for sale at full price on Epic and MS Store on PC?

I already have Gamepass Ultimate, but really want to play this on PC. I'll probably end up playing it on Xbox since I've already paid my sheckles.

it is on both pc and Xbox game pass

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017

It's already available for preload on the Microsoft store on PC I believe.

Edit: just saw your response above :P

Oct 28, 2017
Wait this unlocks at 7 pm EST tomorrow? Hell yes. I'm out of town all weekend so hopefully I can get some time in tomorrow night.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Its truly a mad world when a traditional choice driven rpg is being painted as "meh, this is super safe, better go back to my risky innovation driven battle royale first person shooters"

I wish i lived in the same reality as you people and games like this came out all the time

But...No one said that.

Except you.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
down to 85 on meta after this review:

VG247 (3/5):
The Outer Worlds serves a need and fills a gap very neatly at the end of this console generation. The charm of The Outer Worlds lends itself to water-cooler tales and other moments to share, and certainly more than one playthrough adopting alternative styles. It's safe, but very welcoming. I can even see it developing into sequels if Microsoft chooses to support it and the fans embrace it, which I have no doubt will happen – some games are just made to cosplay. For those that were disappointed with Fallout 76 going online multiplayer, this is the single-player RPG you've been looking for. If you're hankering for somewhere you can while away the hours talking shit, chuckling and prodding at the locals, you won't be disappointed.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want reviewers guessing what other people want, I want them to give their own opinion.
A dream scenario would be that at least two critics gave their own personal opinion in each review.
That way you could have someone who loves old school RPGs review it and also one who is tired of that and want something new, thus covering a wider spectrum, and it would help us remember that reviews are just personal opinions and not a whole magazine or website that has reviewed it.

And yes we are all guilty of it, on different games, trying to find faults in the media outlet, like with Eurogamer here and often with Edge, instead of just accepting that there are different opinions out there. Like "they loved this game, why didn't they love that game?". Different persons, different taste in games, different opinions, different scores. Why are diverse scores ever a surprise?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
"It's safe".

I really don't understand this criticism. What risks were some developers hoping the game would take? We've just spent an entire generation with only a small handful of games like this and yet it's still considering safe or tired...

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Eurogamer, and have zero problem with their approach to reviews, but I've found their evaluations for some of the best WRPGs curiously off for me. For reference, some of their old review scores:
Planescape: Torment: 7 (or 8)/10
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines: 7/10
Alpha Protocol: 7/10
Disco Elysium: not recommended or essential

These same games then tend to get glowing retrospectives as the years pass. I have no idea how good Outer Worlds will be and Eurogamer might be dead-on with its evaluation, but, as much as I love the site and its writing, I'm not going to use it as a reliable guide as to whether I'd enjoy this type of game.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people were expecting something "new" and "fresh" from an RPG that's a spiritual successor to a game that came out almost 10 years ago and wears it proudly on it's sleeve.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

It's on Gamepass for PC. The Xbox (Beta) app clearly states it.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
"It's safe".

I really don't understand this criticism. What risks were some developers hoping the game would take? We've just spent an entire generation with only a small handful of games like this and yet it's still considering safe or tired...

I haven't read any reviews but I can understand this line of thinking under the context of "finally obsidian is off the leash" and having released innovative takes on genres they specialized in, like Tyranny.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is the PC version not very good? The metacritic is not on par with the rest...

There are a different number of outlets reviewing each version, some will apply their score to all versions, others are platform dedicated. The PS4 version has the most reviews, so a single more middling review for the PC version can have a greater effect on the metascore than it would for the other platforms. If the score is dramatically different, then that might indicate platform-specific issues, but your best bet is to check the content of the reviews themselves.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So if your playing this on gamepass for PC does it unlock Thursday night?

Depends on where you live. The game unlocks on the WinStore and EGS at the same time worldwide:

t1571958000z1.png

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read any reviews but I can understand this line of thinking under the context of "finally obsidian is off the leash" and having released innovative takes on genres they specialized in, like Tyranny.

Some of it might be *specific* elements of presentation too.

Game looks gorgeous, both mechanically & aesthetically, but when watching preview vids and seeing conversations zoom in on the NPC's head I was taken aback. Feels like that move was taken straight out of last gen with Fallout 3, NV & Skyrim. Hell, even Bethesda abandoned that style in Fallout 4.

It doesn't bother me per say, but I can see where some might see things like this as dated.

I'll be playing the game either way.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Okay, I guess that makes sense, but then it's a bit premature to claim they are playing it safe when MS only really came into the picture a year ago. Their next game is the one that should be receiving that kind of critique.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
"It's safe".

It's a very weird take on a world of a million narrative driven action games with a dark tone getting 9s and 10s across the board not to mention all the samey shooters, yearly sports games, souls likes etc.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I meant like "off the bethesda leash" since this is supposed to be their re-imagining of fallout, but again I haven't played the game or read reviews so I dunno how much that holds up. I am definitely in the camp of reviews being just personal opinions of the writer and editor tho, so if someone says that they feel the game played it safe I'll just chalk that up as the viable experience of someone who's not me. I don't read reviews much in the first place, but if I find a writer who's tastes align closer to mine or who likes to think about games in a way that's close to how I think, then I weigh that writer over others, but like in general I don't really think of reviews as particularly influential to me.

like there's definitely ppl out there who have the "does this innovate?" lens when looking at pretty much every game and prioritize that over a lot of things, which is valid for them imo, I don't really think there is a right or wrong way to judge a game and I think the idea of objective reviewing is dum. I definitely don't think bonuses being tied to metacritic scores is good at all either

closer

Oct 25, 2017
can anyone explain the discrepancy between console and pc scoring? Is it just normal variance or is there something up with the PC version?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I love Eurogamer, and have zero problem with their approach to reviews, but I've found their evaluations for some of the best WRPGs curiously off for me. For reference, some of their old review scores:
Planescape: Torment: 7 (or 8)/10
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines: 7/10
Alpha Protocol: 7/10
Disco Elysium: not recommended or essential

These same games then tend to get glowing retrospectives as the years pass. I have no idea how good Outer Worlds will be and Eurogamer might be dead-on with its evaluation, but, as much as I love the site and its writing, I'm not going to use it as a reliable guide as to whether I'd enjoy this type of game.

that's actually a more than generous score for Bloodlines. Game was a horrible mess at release.