• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I HATE how every game site is basically

"this game is superior to Bethesda offering in very tangible way"

<then proceeds to give a lower score than a Bethesda game>

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

The goodwill reserve is completely drained now. We will see how the next mainline game Bethesda pushes out is received. I have a feeling they are going to start getting dinged for all the shit they have been given a pass on for years.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019

It is only superior in writing..outer worlds feels like a fallout knock off with better writing, but still not great. The press is being silly with these takes. The loot, combat mechanics, world are under whelming.

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
You can get a month of gamepass for $1 right now. Very nice, unless you're on PS4 only, of course.

That's true, and gamepass a great option for some. I prefer to own my software though, I haven't gotten on board with the game renting scheme yet although that's probably the wave of the future.

Do you know if gamepass will keep your saves indefinitely, even if you cancel/suspend and come back to it years later?

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's true, and gamepass a great option for some. I prefer to own my software though, I haven't gotten on board with the game renting scheme yet although that's probably the wave of the future.

Do you know if gamepass will keep your saves indefinitely, even if you cancel/suspend and come back to it years later?
Yes, it keeps your saves and all that.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
It is only superior in writing..outer worlds feels like a fallout knock off with better writing, but still not great. The press is being silly with these takes. The loot, combat mechanics, world are under whelming.
OW has better animations, better world design, better quest design and, as you say, that small mini tiny component of any rpg called WRITING...

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
OW has better animations, better world design, better quest design and, as you say, that small mini tiny component of any rpg called WRITING...
Better world design? LOl hell no, animations are poor not much better then bethesda, The writing is not good, it's just better than bethesda, bethesda's game have far better worlds, loot, exploration. People play these games for multiple reasons not just "Writing". OW is a small condensed, hub RPG with barely any exploration, useless loot and perks. levelling up is not even fun. It;'s an all-right game nothing more. The sequel will need a lot of improvements.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Better world design? LOl hell no, animations are poor not much better then bethesda, The writing is not good, it's just better than bethesda, bethesda's game have far better worlds, loot, exploration. People play these games for multiple reasons not just "Writing". OW is a small condensed, hub RPG with barely any exploration, useless loot and perks. levelling up is not even fun. It;'s an all-right game nothing more. The sequel will need a lot of improvements.
World building goes into world design. Fallout 4 is horrible at it.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
World building goes into world design. Fallout 4 is horrible at it.
Outer worlds is worse at it yes...the game world is static, and small broken into seperate smaller hubs..... People are really over selling OW's. The game does a couple of things well, it has a tonne of issues. we will have to agree to dis-agree here. In the OT lots of folks have the same issues with the game.

Last edited:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Fallout 4 facial animations seems the usual piece of woods out of Oblivion. There isn't even to make a comparison, OW has maybe the best facial animations in a big open world RPG, if we don't consider Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey such.

Outer worlds is worse at it yes...the game world is static, and small broken into seperate smaller hubs..... People are really over selling OW's. The game does a couple of things well, it has a tonne of issues. we will have to agree to dis-agree here. In the OT lots of folks have the same issues with the game.
The famous dynamic worlds of Bethesda... /s

Small ≠ worse. I would even argue the opposite in this day and age.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
Yeah, I'm fucking tired of massive open worlds where you have to run for 45 minutes to get to the other end of the map. There's a time and a place for it.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I prefer OW's world mainly due to it not being so glum/brown. The city areas are more populated than when you venture out on missions but that's to be expected

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4 facial animations seems the usual piece of woods out of Oblivion. There isn't even to make a comparison, OW has maybe the best facial animations in a big open world RPG, if we don't consider Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey such.

The famous dynamic worlds of Bethesda... /s

Small ≠ worse. I would even argue the opposite in this day and age.

Outer Worlds faces aren't bad, but I came off of playing DA: Inquisition to playing it and I think Dragon Age has better facial animation. Dragon Age: Inquisition still looks pretty damn good, but it also had a significantly larger budget than Outer Worlds.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outer Worlds faces aren't bad, but I came off of playing DA: Inquisition to playing it and I think Dragon Age has better facial animation. Dragon Age: Inquisition still looks pretty damn good, but it also had a significantly larger budget than Outer Worlds.
yup ok ow is more static, fine, but honestly I will take the hub model in ow over a empty open world found in the fallout games.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The goodwill reserve is completely drained now. We will see how the next mainline game Bethesda pushes out is received. I have a feeling they are going to start getting dinged for all the shit they have been given a pass on for years.

I'd love to believe that, but I feel like that's not going to happen for an Elder Scrolls game. As soon as we get nearer, people and publications are going to get caught in the hype again.

For Fallout 5 though, yeah it'll probably stay drained.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no, if we are gonna talk about Open World RPG games with handcrafted facial animations {by not using Mocap}; then The Witcher 3 is far superior in that regard than Outer Worlds.
isnt that the point, ow isnt a open world game, its the old hope and zone model from kotor. I say kotor, not mass effect because you can realy call most of the places in mass effect hubs , outside the main space station.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it this morning. Fallout 4s writing pissed me off, but it was a better game to play. This doesn't have a satisfying gameplay loop, or the writing to justify not having fun gameplay, like the Witcher 3.
The gun system was confusing and tedious. I still don't understand why guns jump in price, but a gun picked off the ground at the same level resets. It doesn't make sense. The tinkering price should reset as you level. Make you pay more to go above your level and reset as you pass it.

The skills don't seem to really matter. Dialogue wise you man manipulate everything with drugs and squadmates, the core 3 will take you through the game. I thought the leveling system wasn't taken far enough. It should have let me group things together. Like I didn't need Intimidate and Persuade to level in tandem they serve similar goals and are fit for different personalities. In theory the grouping system is good, but you should have been able to group skills yourself. In the end I dumped points into my conversation, and gun modifying skills, and that got me through the game on hard. Say what you want about Fallout 4, but the skill system was clear and useful. Every new playthrough on it feels different because of the late game skills.

The weakpoint system is frustrating, because on certain enemies the weakpoint moves, and you can't hit it when it does. The enemy will rotate with you so it makes it nearly impossible. A harder difficulties it's really headache inducing. This leads to dumping ammo into certain enemies while trying not to be hit. It just isn't fun.

Companions are a step up from Bethesda though, and every side quest has a backstory and dialogue, even the most mundane, which I appreciate. Contrary to what others are saying the world feels very much alive. Every character has a backstory and history in their town. You hear and see the companions interact with people they would have grown up with. Which is great but,
the world building itself was a major step down from both recent Fallouts. Not for a second did I believe that the towns could actually survive in the world presented.

The main story wasn't compelling to me, I just never cared about Hope or the colony. Which is important in a literal save the world story. Fallout New Vegas's Platinum chip was perfect for this. You could save the world with it, or use it in any way you wanted. You didn't need to care about anyone. Fallout 3/4 made it personal by having a family member be your catalyst for venturing, coupled with revenge, and mystery. That worked too. I think the problem was a story that we've seen many times, coupled with terrible rich people and terrible poor people. The tone was inconsistent. It couldn't decide if it wanted dark or dark humor. So for every moment of genuine levity it had 5 of just somber horrible things and people. The humor missed more than it hit, though when it hit, it hit hard

Encountered numerous bugs throughout. Nothing gamebreaking, but it wasn't flawless. Visually it's ugly and busy. Skittle vomit. Audio was inconsistent throughout. Voice acting was serviceable. The music was good.

It wasn't bad but it's definitely a solid 8 for me.

Outer Wilds - 8
Fallout 4 - 8.60
Fallout New Vegas - 9.35

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
where do you even come up with ratings like a 9.35 other than some nebulous number in the sky? did it get +5 for in-jokes? -30 for radflies? like wtf

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Played a few hours, loved every second. It's everything I could have asked for.

Enjoy being miserable on the internet, I guess?
You're talking out of your arse, pal.