• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

?

• #TeamBrownOwl

Votes: 154 76.2%
  • #TeamDarkOwl

Votes: 48 23.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some context:

the legend of zelda: link's awakening is a 1993 video game by japanese video game company nintendo. in it, there's an owl who's one of the biggest characters in the game. of course, being an original game boy game, the owl didn't have any specific color and looked like this:
large2rkdq.jpg

but as seen in the game's official booklet and art, the owl was clearly supposed to be brown:
la_owl_artworkb0jx1.png

in 1998, the game was re-released for the game boy color, once again showing that the owl is supposed to be brown:
00160krn.png

i was very excited when in february of 2019 nintendo announced a remake of the game for switch, but there was one very unnecessary change that has caused me a lot of unrest and distress. see for yourself:
lans_owl_model0kjqz.png

for some god-know-what reason, the owl's color was now very dark aubergine. but this story had a good ending, i just saw a tweet on twitter that show's someone's media pass lanyard for E3 2019. aside from giving a close look at link's design from the remake, you can see that the owl is one again, brown:
d8pe810ucaal719kyj09.jpeg

ezgif-5-0d1df14770d8dek4a.gif

EDIT: bad news

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I think maybe the darkness of the woods made our beloved owl guide just look darker feathered than he actually is, but I may be wrong.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
the font change was much sadder to me then the owl changing colour

I LOVED that italic font on the game boy

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
They can make the fucker purple for all I care as long as I don't have to sit through a giant scrolling text box every time I pick up a fucking item

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please remove this spoiler from tomorrow's direct from the title? You've ruined my E3.

/s

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Love the key art. Can't wait for this!

Forreal, I really appreciate Nintendo's continued efforts to make each Zelda game look and feel so starkly different from the last. They did not have to make the art style what it is; they could have easily gone with the Wind Waker aesthetic for an easy chibi look. It probably would have been better received, too! I just love that Nintendo still are willing to make each of their games look different every time. Can't wait to see more tomorrow.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I mean, the lighting of the forest probably threw off his color in the reveal trailer.

And also: the picture in the lanyard is just a render and not a character model captured in-game, so you have no idea if they "fixed" it or not.

But carry on.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
i doubt it, the time of day doesn't seem to have affected the other colors.
screenshot2019-06-10a6qj8d.jpg

...it's the same owl. they're not gonna add owls.

Maybe it's the Nightmare Owl. Maybe they're adding a whole new Nightmare world or something. The owl seems to have similar coloring to the Nightmares from the GBC version.

Going by how they reveal games we probably barely know what is gonna be in this remake so far.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the darker owl even registered with me but honestly I kinda like that look

Team Dark Owl

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe it's the Nightmare Owl. Maybe they're adding a whole new Nightmare world or something. The owl seems to have similar coloring to the Nightmares from the GBC version.

Going by how they reveal games we probably barely know what is gonna be in this remake so far.
This scene with that owl literally has the same dialogue as in the original game.
capture-20190610-190427-001.png

Edit:
In term of content, in every scene we have seen so far they seem to have been extremely faithful to the original, as far as keeping the original level tiles structure and enemy placement, only adding QOL changes to some segments of the map (shortcuts). (I think I saw that in a GameXplain video.)
Definitely not the same approach as A Link Between Worlds.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This scene with that owl literally has the same dialogue as in the original game.

I agree it's probably supposed to be the same owl, I just think we can't be sure at this stage. I doubt this is gonna be a straightforward 1 to 1 remake with nothing new added.

Maybe the owl is recolored for Hero mode or something?