• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 29, 2017
Check how many SATA ports it has and see if anyone has info on the quality of the VRM. IIRC, MSI cheaped out on the VRM for Ryzen mobos, so they might have done the same thing here.

It lists it as having 6 SATAIII ports according to this specifications page:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC/Specification

I have no idea what this is talking about, but after briefly trying to find something VRM related I found a review from "tweaktown.com" apparently saying the following about VRM on this motherboard:

The VRM is in an 8+2 phase configuration, and it's actually the same exact VRM I found on the X370 SLI PLUS (different filter components). The Richtek RT8894A is the 4+2 phase PWM controller used to control the core and SOC rails. A Richtek RT9624F complements the three integrated ones from the PWM, and two more are used to drive the SOC rail.

Nikos PK616BA and PK632BA PowerPAK MOSFETs are used just like on the other X370 MSI motherboards we have reviewed. To get eight phases from the four, VRM components are doubled up on to each driver channel.

The memory VRM is a large single phase controlled by a Richtek RT8125E; it uses double the number of MOSFETs you find per phase.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing any overvoltage on my Asus 370 Tuf series. I have a noctua d15 and it has stayed nice and cool

Definitely experiencing it at stock settings with my Maximus Hero X. Also read about it happening with other Z370 boards.

Of course it can be defeated with manual overrides but that's pretty silly. I'll overclock it myself, thanks. It was pushing 1.4V+ on Vcore when I first fired it up.

Anyways, third Asus board I've had in a row that was problematic in some way. Hopefully this is the only irritation with this one. Would have chosen something else but got a cheap bundle to get the CPU.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what this is talking about, but after briefly trying to find something VRM related I found a review from "tweaktown.com" apparently saying the following about VRM on this motherboard:
I think it should be fine - looked back at the kerfuffle over the MSI Ryzen mobo VRM and it was for their highest end board and some of their B350 boards, not the more reasonable tier of X370s (which are Z370 equivalents).

Oct 29, 2017
I think it should be fine - looked back at the kerfuffle over the MSI Ryzen mobo VRM and it was for their highest end board and some of their B350 boards, not the more reasonable tier of X370s (which are Z370 equivalents).
I appreciate you looking into it; out of curiosity, is there a more reliable/recommended motherboard for these kinds of processors as far as you're aware? It's not super imperative that I buy this combo right now but it seems like the 8700ks go quickly, which is the only reason I'm feeling a little pressured. At the end of the day though, there's no real need for me to rush this so if there's a clear better alternative I'd be willing to wait.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
is there a more reliable/recommended motherboard for these kinds of processors as far as you're aware?
I don't know, mostly because I made the jump to Ryzen earlier this year and went X370, so I'm out of the loop on Intel stuff. From what I can tell, that mobo in the bundle is perfectly acceptable in terms of features for the price.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know, mostly because I made the jump to Ryzen earlier this year and went X370, so I'm out of the loop on Intel stuff. From what I can tell, that mobo in the bundle is perfectly acceptable in terms of features for the price.

Thanks again. Unfortunately, after finally deciding to buy it, again, I went back to my cart to checkout and it's fucking out of stock. -_-

OP
OP
Celcius

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the optane drives offer any real world perf over nonsata ssds? In terms of average or minimum fps, stuttering, texture streaming, loading etc?
If your operating system is installed on a solid state drive then you should avoid using an optane drive altogether as it wouldn't benefit you. If your operating system is installed on a hard disk drive then I would recommend saving the money that you would have spent on an optane drive towards a solid state drive instead.
Optane drives are meant to be used as a cache for hard drives to speed up performance and they can only be used as a cache for your boot drive (the drive with the operating system installed). If you were using a hard drive for your operating system with an optane drive added then if the system needs data then it would first look at the optane drive, see that the desired data is not there, and then pull the data from the hard drive like normal. While accessing the hard drive to retrieve the data it would also store the accessed data in the optane drive as well. The next time the system needed that same data then it would again check the optane drive first and this time it would find the data there so it would return it with ssd quickness and avoid making the call to the hard drive. However if the data hasn't been accessed yet so that it's not stored in the cache, or if the cache got filled up so that old data got purged (overwritten) then you'd have to deal with the slow hard drive speeds. Also unlike a normal ssd you can't drag and drop your files on them as it just contains recently used files for caching by the OS. Also to use optane you would have to have a Kabylake or newer Intel based system. I definitely recommend just saving for a normal ssd instead of optane.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If your operating system is installed on a solid state drive then you should avoid using an optane drive altogether as it wouldn't benefit you. If your operating system is installed on a hard disk drive then I would recommend saving the money that you would have spent on an optane drive towards a solid state drive instead.
Optane drives are meant to be used as a cache for hard drives to speed up performance and they can only be used as a cache for your boot drive (the drive with the operating system installed). If you were using a hard drive for your operating system with an optane drive added then if the system needs data then it would first look at the optane drive, see that the desired data is not there, and then pull the data from the hard drive like normal. While accessing the hard drive to retrieve the data it would also store the accessed data in the optane drive as well. The next time the system needed that same data then it would again check the optane drive first and this time it would find the data there so it would return it with ssd quickness and avoid making the call to the hard drive. However if the data hasn't been accessed yet so that it's not stored in the cache, or if the cache got filled up so that old data got purged (overwritten) then you'd have to deal with the slow hard drive speeds. Also unlike a normal ssd you can't drag and drop your files on them as it just contains recently used files for caching by the OS. Also to use optane you would have to have a Kabylake or newer Intel based system. I definitely recommend just saving for a normal ssd instead of optane.

Maybe I read it wrong, but was thinking the post was about the new Intel 900P Optane drives. It's still a no, I think.. unless you just have a very specific application that doesn't fit into RAM. Anandtech has a pretty good article. Honestly they hit it out of the park with the Star Citizen tie-in. People will buy it just for that.

It's not a bad drive or anything, but I think PC architecture in general is just too tuned for old and slower storage. I've had to work to keep my wallet put away, but I once tried a Samsung 960 Pro and couldn't tell the difference between that and my SATA SSD's. No doubt there would be a measurable improvement over M.2 drives, but most enthusiasts would struggle to justify the price and size.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I'm on a mission to retire the Wii U.

Currently, my Wii library is ripped to a HDD and I'm using USB loader to play on the Wii U in vWii mode. I've got Haxchi installed for Retroarch use.

I'm hoping to build a good system for Dolphin + Retroarch, so I can sell the Wii U and get a Switch instead. :)

It's been a few years since my last build, a Haswell 4570K OC @ 4ghz. And a few observations:
* Wow, SSD has come down in price a lot.
* Newegg's selection has seriously gone to shit
* Ryzen's IPC performance still seems to be way behind Intel.

For now, this is speculative—I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on a new build. A few points of discussion:

Kaby Lake vs Coffee Lake. If my purchase window opens before the inventory issues are straightened out, does it make sense to wait? I seem to recall the 7700K basically being unoverclockable. But with CL hitting 4.2+GHz stock, I'm not sure I even need to worry about it.

What's the best practice for heatsinks? I've read horror stories about Intel's shitty TIM. But don't the current CPUs come naked? They're not even providing the shitty stock heat sink/fan anymore?

RAM speeds—I know Intel chipsets max out at 2400Mhz DDR4. How high can I safely OC the memory without having to fuss with voltages or memory cooling? Or is it better to just stick with DDR4-2400?

Lauscher

Nov 13, 2017
Hey guys, with all the upcoming sales (black friday, cyber monday, christmas sales) I'm planning on upgrading my rig and would like some advice.

1. What's your budget?
Budget wise I would like to stay around 600€.

2. What do you want to use the computer for?

This was and will be my main PC. I use it both for gaming and work. For games I expect high to max settings at 1080p, I'd also like to do some fair amount of emulation (mainly Dolphin and CEMU). For work I use the pc mostly for video editing and rendering but also for some 3d and digital drawing. I wolud like to try VR sometime down the road.

3. How soon do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
Depending on the sales, before the end of the year.

4. Are you going to reuse any parts (upgrading) or are you building a completely new computer from scratch?

Yes, I'm mostly in need of an cpu upgrade which means I'll also need to get a new motherboard and new RAM. I currently have an AMD FX 8350 paired with an ASRock 970 Extreme4 and 16GB Crucial 2200 MHz DDR3 RAM. I know that is a horrible cpu motherboard combo, but back when I build this rig the FX 8350 was still listed as compatible with that motherboard.
I will reuse the rest of my current rig, wich includes a 6GB GTX 780ti and a 4 year old beQuiet 750w psu.

I'm currently eyeing for an AMD Ryzen 1700 for the cpu, an ASRock AB350 Pro4 for the motherboard and a 16 GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 kit from G.Skill.
Any thougts an that? Will I be ok with my old gpu or will it be a huge bottleneck? And how futreproof would that rig be the next 2 years?

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently eyeing for an AMD Ryzen 1700 for the cpu, an ASRock AB350 Pro4 for the motherboard and a 16 GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 kit from G.Skill.
Get an X370 board for that CPU. Not only is the VRM better suited for handling an overclock for that CPU, the BIOS will come with more complete overclocking settings. I remember someone on GAF having problems with overclocking on the Pro4 due to its BIOS limitations. The Asrock X370 SLI/AC seems to go on sale fairly often, so that's a good bet for an X370 board.

What's the best practice for heatsinks? I've read horror stories about Intel's shitty TIM. But don't the current CPUs come naked? They're not even providing the shitty stock heat sink/fan anymore?
The problem with Intel's TIM doesn't involve heatsinks. It's inside the chip, and is a combination of not so great thermal paste and too much glue, causing a small gap between the die and the heat spreader. That's a problem that's only solved by delidding or buying pre-delidded CPUs.

OP
OP
Celcius

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I read it wrong, but was thinking the post was about the new Intel 900P Optane drives. It's still a no, I think.. unless you just have a very specific application that doesn't fit into RAM. Anandtech has a pretty good article. Honestly they hit it out of the park with the Star Citizen tie-in. People will buy it just for that.

It's not a bad drive or anything, but I think PC architecture in general is just too tuned for old and slower storage. I've had to work to keep my wallet put away, but I once tried a Samsung 960 Pro and couldn't tell the difference between that and my SATA SSD's. No doubt there would be a measurable improvement over M.2 drives, but most enthusiasts would struggle to justify the price and size.
Ah, thanks I was thinking about the older ones

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure if this is the right place for this but I have an issue. my speakers suddenly stopped working and I have no idea what to do. it seems like nothing works when plugged in to that rear i/o port. nothing seems to be wrong driver wise in device manager...speakers, headphones just dont work. when switching audio to my connected TV everything works fine again. is my motherboard dying?

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Im not sure if this is the right place for this but I have an issue. my speakers suddenly stopped working and I have no idea what to do. it seems like nothing works when plugged in to that rear i/o port. nothing seems to be wrong driver wise in device manager...speakers, headphones just dont work. when switching audio to my connected TV everything works fine again. is my motherboard dying?
Did you update Realtek drivers? For some reason, an update breaks the rear IO output and forces you to roll back the driver to fix the audio.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Did you update Realtek drivers? For some reason, an update breaks the rear IO output and forces you to roll back the driver to fix the audio.
I dont believe so? how do I check if I have Realtek drivers isntalled? in device manager under "sound, video and game controllers" High definition audio device says the drivers are up to date and rollback drivers is grayed out. the driver date is about 2 months ago.

edit: well its fixed. all I had to do was "disable all enhancements" in properties..like what?

Last edited:

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
This might be off topic but I'm really excited.

I'm finally getting a new PC tomorrow with a 1070 and Ryzen 1600x. My old machine was only able to handle Hearthstone in the end so I'm really pumped.

What game/s should I play straight away to enjoy this newfound power?

I'm a big fan of RPG's, tactical games, shooters, sims.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

I'm finally getting a new PC tomorrow with a 1070 and Ryzen 1600x. My old machine was only able to handle Hearthstone in the end so I'm really pumped.

I always hear DOOM being a good/fun game to try and new systems. Personally, I'm a big fan of Just Cause 3 because I like blowing stuff up.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Warhammer 2 Total War is one of the most visual amazing titles you can play on PC. The game can handle up to 10,000 fighting characters at once. This game will break any CPU. The size, scope and character amount defies anything you've played before. It also looks amazing. If you have the first and the second game, you can play a shared campaign. The game has a lot of tactical and RPG elements taken from table top games.

Witcher 3 is an obvious choice if you've not played it.

Titanfall 2 feels really good. As does Doom. Games look glorious at high settings. You can also look at the new Wolfenstein.

And then there is Assassins Creed Origins. It looks dropdead gorgeous at max settings.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Great recommendations! I've seen footage from AC: O and it looks beautiful.

Warhammer 2 Total War wen't completely under my radar. I had to google it. It looks super interesting. I think that might be the first game I try.

Doom, Titanfall 2 and Wolfenstein all sound juicy as hell. I think I'll give them all a try. Thank you both.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
XCOM 2 is awesome. I haven't tried the expansion, I just might do that now.

Vanquish looks sweet and it's only 20 dollars on Steam. Do you prefer playing it with a controller? I haven't hooked my Dualshock 4 up to a PC yet. Is it just plug and play if the game is on Steam?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Didn't realize this thread is in the hangout :d

Anyway, went back to my homecountry and turned on my x99 PC that I've left off for half year, and it doesn't post/ display anything. Everything's running (fans spinning, GPU led on, RGB strips on, HDD spinning), but no display. I tried connecting with different LCD screen but no dice :|

Anyone know what might be the probable cause? Can't really troubleshoot right now because I'm already out of the country again lol

Oct 29, 2017
Alright so, I was notified that the 8700k was back in stock on Newegg so I picked it up along with a GTX 1080 Ti.

No turning back now...next major decision is to pick a motherboard. Still not sure which to go with though, so if anyone has any recommendations please let me know. I'm hoping to find something that makes overclocking as easy as possible, is reliable, and ideally has RGB, but RGB is by no means a requirement if there's a clearly superior board with no RGB.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't quite match the intention of the thread, but I would like some opinions on some laptops if that's ok (I couldn't find a laptop thread). There's ASUS 2 in 1's currently on sale at Best Buy that seem to be specced pretty well, and well actually I've already bought both, but I need to return one of them and I can't decide.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2...ver-with-chrome-hinge/5768200.p?skuId=5768200

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2...ver-with-chrome-hinge/5768400.p?skuId=5768400

So, I ended up buying the 13 inch one first almost 2 weeks ago (I have till tomorrow to return it) and I really liked it, but then I saw that the 15 inch one was very near the same price and offered more RAM so I bought that intending to return the 13 inch. After seeing them next to each other though, the 15 inch is really big and not nearly as portable. The 13 inch also has a better battery and the RAM can be expanded to match the 15 (though the 15 inch can also be expanded further).

I just can't decide, the 13 inch is more portable and has decently better battery life, while the 15 inch has more RAM and a separate number pad (which I admit I don't really care about), but is also kind of unwieldy for a laptop. I'd probably be doing light gaming on it (Civilization is probably the most extreme), but mostly game development in Unity and GameMaker, both seem to work like a champ on either. I scoffed a bit at first at the 2-in-1 thing, but I'm actually finding it really useful, though the tablet mode for the 15 inch is ridiculously big. I am a little concerned about longevity, I'd like something that can last at least 3 years. I can expand the RAM on the 13 inch, but that'll probably add $100 to the cost. I do have a desktop for the heavy duty things.

Anybody have opinions on form vs performance or just general input?

Edit: I've decided to keep the smaller one and return the 15 inch. The convenience of the small one just outweighs the larger screen and RAM of the other one. If need be, I can always add additional RAM in the future.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017

I'd recommend Doom and Destiny 2 as far as shooters go. Can't vouch for how it looks since I haven't played its sequel yet but XCOM is probably my favorite tactical game ever, so you might want to pick up the 2nd one since I'm sure that'd look and play great. RPG-wise I hear great things about Divinity 2.

Last edited:

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
I'm extremely excited to try Divinity 2, I might save it for a weekend when the wife and kid are out of town though. I have a feeling it's a game that will hard to put down.

I've played D2 to death on PS4, going to shelve it until the expansion comes along.

Doom, the XCOM 2 expansion, Warhammer 2 Total War, Vanquish and Titanfall 2 are all on my Steam wishlist as of now. I just have to decide where to start.

Might even get Crysis 1 just so I can tell people that I've played it with ultra settings.

Thanks for the input, guys/gals. I really appreciate it.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Vanquish looks sweet and it's only 20 dollars on Steam. Do you prefer playing it with a controller? I haven't hooked my Dualshock 4 up to a PC yet. Is it just plug and play if the game is on Steam?
If you use that Steam DS4 Xinput stuff, it's plug and play. You have to jump into Big Picture Mode for whatever reason, but it works pretty well.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm confused about 4k monitors...it seems like they are 60hz or am I crazy? Isn't that super shitty by today's standards?

Also, on the last page someone went out of their way to say that a 27" 4k monitor would be a waste and to go 32 inch, but I sit reasonably close to my monitor and going from 27 to 32 effectively doubles the price...would it really be a waste to go with a 27" 4k set up? I'm eyeing this Acer monitor right now since it's the only one I've been able to find that also has G-Sync. I'm just starting to wonder if I should maybe dial my resolution aspirations back to 2560 x 1440 by going with something like this Dell monitor instead if it means a higher refresh rate/better response time.

I was hoping to experience 4k though, I'm just a little lost.

Last edited:

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Alright so, I was notified that the 8700k was back in stock on Newegg so I picked it up along with a GTX 1080 Ti.

No turning back now...next major decision is to pick a motherboard. Still not sure which to go with though, so if anyone has any recommendations please let me know. I'm hoping to find something that makes overclocking as easy as possible, is reliable, and ideally has RGB, but RGB is by no means a requirement if there's a clearly superior board with no RGB.
I would get an Asus board myself, they seem to be pretty consistent/reliable in putting out good products. Maybe Gigabyte.

Regarding monitors, I would stick to 1440p/144hz IPS if I were you. But, I value refresh rate quite highly, myself.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I have a 5820k @ 4.3GHz and a 1080Ti. How long before I need to upgrade my CPU?

Bloodember

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm confused about 4k monitors...it seems like they are 60hz or am I crazy? Isn't that super shitty by today's standards?

Also, on the last page someone went out of their way to say that a 27" 4k monitor would be a waste and to go 32 inch, but I sit reasonably close to my monitor and going from 27 to 32 effectively doubles the price...would it really be a waste to go with a 27" 4k set up? I'm eyeing this Acer monitor right now since it's the only one I've been able to find that also has G-Sync. I'm just starting to wonder if I should maybe dial my resolution aspirations back to 2560 x 1440 by going with something like this Dell monitor instead if it means a higher refresh rate/better response time.

I was hoping to experience 4k though, I'm just a little lost.
Yes, many 4k monitors are 60hz, and no that is not shitty as most monitors today are still 60 hz. As for the size, that is one persons opinion, 4k at 27" is fine and looks great. But, if you want high refresh rate and g-sync at an affordable price, your best bet is a 1440p monitor, like the Dell you have linked. I have the 27" model of that and it's glorious.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Strange I upgraded from a 1060 to 1070 and I seem to have more resolution choices. I use a 4k tv and on the 1060 I couldn't select 2560x1440 but now I can. Very happy about it really as it means I can use this in games that i feel need 60fps. Weird though.

Oct 29, 2017
What do you guys think about these two? I hear great things about the Dell monitor but the Acer is a bit cheaper and seems comparable:

Dell S2716DG
Acer Predator XB271HU

Also browsing for cases and have my eye on these...what do you guys think?

DIYPC Vanguard RGB (I think I'm leaning towards this one the most currently)
Rosewill Cullinan
Cheap price but not the best reviews: DIYPC Illusion II
Expensive but seems really good: Corsair RGB

There's many more options but Tempered Glass cases seem pretty slick; I'm open to any recommendations, however. I think I'd like RGB (if a case is really great and doesn't have it I can always buy RGB fans to replace them so it's not a huge deal). I was toying with going full tower, but unless a mid tower can't fit a 1080 TI, I see no reason to go with a full ATX since I don't really intend on ever SLI-ing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Three days after I get the new PC put together, the RAM starts developing issues. I've either got a bad stick or it's incompatible with the chipset. It straight-up died yesterday, which required pulling both sticks. Weird thing is they both worked individually, and then together, so I figured everything was fine. Played a couple hours of Assassin's Creed Origins without issue. Played some Witcher 3 and noticed a little stuttering. Quit to desktop, hard crash, computer won't POST; fails on RAM check. Ugh.

So I've got some new RAM coming that is definitely on the mobo compatibility list. Runs a little slower, which I don't really care about so long as it's stable. But it means I'm out of commission for at least a couple days. The worst bit was I had already thrown all the packaging away once everything was "definitely working." So last night I find myself desperately going through the recycle bin on the street so the RAM packaging doesn't get picked up on trash day since I need it for the RMA. I managed to find it, so that's good. Word of advice; don't throw any packaging away before you've stress-tested the hell out of everything! I don't usually forget that part, but I wanted to be diligent about cleaning.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys think about these two? I hear great things about the Dell monitor but the Acer is a bit cheaper and seems comparable:

Dell S2716DG
Acer Predator XB271HU

Rosewill Cullinan

There's many more options but Tempered Glass cases seem pretty slick; I'm open to any recommendations, however. I think I'd like RGB (if a case is really great and doesn't have it I can always buy RGB fans to replace them so it's not a huge deal). I was toying with going full tower, but unless a mid tower can't fit a 1080 TI, I see no reason to go with a full ATX since I don't really intend on ever SLI-ing.
Watch out that that monitor is not actually the "XB271HU", which is an IPS monitor, but the "XB271HU Abmiprz", which is TN. So when you search for reviews you might be looking at reviews of the former, not the latter. Not sure about these particular monitors but I have the IPS XB270HU and like it a lot.

Regarding cases, up to you. I'm a fan of Fractal Design (especially the Define C, which is very compact for an ATX chassis), and anything by Phanteks.

Are you getting an ATX or mATX motherboard?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

Dell S2716DG
Acer Predator XB271HU

Rosewill Cullinan

Either monitor is good. The Dell will sometimes go on sale for <$400 so if you aren't in a hurry, you could see if a good deal comes around.

Mid-towers should generally be able to fit a 1080 Ti; you can put whatever case with whichever 1080 Ti into PCPartPicker to double-check for compatibility.

The one thing to keep in mind with tempered glass is that it generally results in the case not cooling your components as well (due to reduced air flow). I recommend you look into a few cases, then see what GamersNexus has to say about them; GN is one of the best sources for thermal testing of cases. Personally, I like the In Win 303 as far as black/tempered glass/ATX cases go. You can also get it in white if you prefer. You'll need to supply your own RGB fans or RGB strips, however. I am unfamiliar with the Vanguard, Cullinan, Illusion, or that Corsair case, so I can't really give input on those unfortunately.

Oct 29, 2017
Watch out that that monitor is not actually the "XB271HU", which is an IPS monitor, but the "XB271HU Abmiprz", which is TN. So when you search for reviews you might be looking at reviews of the former, not the latter. Not sure about these particular monitors but I have the IPS XB270HU and like it a lot.

Regarding cases, up to you. I'm a fan of Fractal Design (especially the Define C, which is very compact for an ATX chassis), and anything by Phanteks.

Are you getting an ATX or mATX motherboard?

I'm not sure yet on the motherboard but after hearing a bunch of Asus recommendations I'm thinking something like this unless anyone has any other specific suggestions.

And what's the difference between TN and IPS for monitors? Also are there any monitors currently that are capable of HDR?

Either monitor is good. The Dell will sometimes go on sale for <$400 so if you aren't in a hurry, you could see if a good deal comes around.

Geez that's cheap as fuck. I'd love to wait for a deal like that, maybe I should wait until the end of the month at least in case there's any black friday shenanigans going on with any of these monitors.

OP
OP
Celcius

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What monitor are you using? Or do you use a TV?

Edit: I'm confused about Phanteks cases...are there no intake fans on the front of them? Or are they just not visible?
You can see more pictures here: http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv.html
that show there is a front fan, it's just hidden behind the front panel and then it would pull in air from the small openings on either side of the front. It's a design that focuses more on style than airflow.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Which 1080ti is generally seen as the best one to go for?

I'm currently looking at the MSI GAMING X 11G, as I've currently got an MSI 970 and never had any trouble with it, plus MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner are really nice little tools.
Is there any reason to go for a different one besides the MSI one?

Oct 29, 2017

I'm currently looking at the MSI GAMING X 11G, as I've currently got an MSI 970 and never had any trouble with it, plus MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner are really nice little tools.
I feel like these types of comparisons have to be taken with a grain of salt, but they are at least based on some tests, and based on the observations from this article I personally ended up ordering the Gigabyte one due to the slightly higher clock speeds and quieter noise levels.

It's also slightly more expensive than some of the others though, and really, they're all so similar it probably doesn't matter too much.

OP
OP
Celcius

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MSI's 1080 ti is a popular card. Asus's Strix card is also very popular as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GeFor...=1510704859&sr=8-8&keywords=asus+strix+1080ti
It's a little cheaper than the MSI and is known for being a quiet card.

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like these types of comparisons have to be taken with a grain of salt, but they are at least based on some tests, and based on the observations from this article I personally ended up ordering the Gigabyte one due to the slightly higher clock speeds and quieter noise levels.

It's also slightly more expensive than some of the others though, and really, they're all so similar it probably doesn't matter too much.

MSI's 1080 ti is a popular card. Asus's Strix card is also very popular as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XY25VTC/?tag=e100-21
It's a little cheaper than the MSI and is known for being a quiet card.

Cheers guys. I'm planning on ordering on Black Friday, so will hold off and see what kind of offers are on there and see which one seems to be coming up as the best deal. Looking at Amazon UK the Gigabyte card is actually £25 cheaper than the MSI one at the moment (And a whole £1 cheaper than the Asus), so if that still holds true at that point I may go for that one since I'll be getting slightly higher speeds and paying less for the privilege. Just need to remember to uninstall Afterburner before I swap the cards.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah...I probably should have waited to order my card until the end of the month since it's not like I can build the thing yet anyway and there will likely be Black Friday sales. If a product is unopened and ordered off of Newegg, can it be returned within 30 days? I'm asking in case I find a better deal before I even build my PC, which I plan to early December if all goes well.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah...I probably should have waited to order my card until the end of the month since it's not like I can build the thing yet anyway and there will likely be Black Friday sales. If a product is unopened and ordered off of Newegg, can it be returned within 30 days? I'm asking in case I find a better deal before I even build my PC, which I plan to early December if all goes well.
Most things are eligible for return on Newegg (CPUs almost always won't be, as well as some add-on items like thermal paste, but graphics cards should be). They hit you with a hefty restocking fee though, so you might check that out to determine whether you think the savings later will equal that plus the cost of return shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.