• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
1) If you buy any Z370 motherboard, you'll be able to use an i5-8400 right now... and you can remove that 8400 and put an i7-8700k into the system without any incompatibility issues.

Thank you for the helpful information.

New question for anyone. With a 1070 graphics card (not the ti one), should a i5 8400 suffice for VR or should I go to i7 8700. I already have the motherboard at this point so I'm locked into an intel 8th gen of some sort (got a good deal on one for 100 bux on slickdeals).

Lauscher

Nov 13, 2017
Get an X370 board for that CPU. Not only is the VRM better suited for handling an overclock for that CPU, the BIOS will come with more complete overclocking settings. I remember someone on GAF having problems with overclocking on the Pro4 due to its BIOS limitations. The Asrock X370 SLI/AC seems to go on sale fairly often, so that's a good bet for an X370 board.

Thanks McQueen I'll keep that in mind. I certainly don't want to redo the mistake to get a motherboard which can't keep my cpu stable under heavy load.

So is it worth it to invest the extra 50€ to get a Ryzen7 1700x instead of the normal 1700, will i get equal perfomancec ot of the 1700 when I overclock it?

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
So my brand new AOC Agon AG271QG was dead out of the box.

Wouldn't even turn on!!!

Going to Microcenter tomorrow to get an ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift.

Anyone know what "IPS lottery/roulette" means that people talk about when it comes to monitors?

Fate

Oct 27, 2017
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tr2N3F
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tr2N3F/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($287.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1372.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-17 15:17 EST-0500

My friend wants to build a new gaming pc with a budget of $1500. This is what she came up with so far, is there anything that could be improved? She has a 1080p monitor and plays mmo games, fortnite, pubg etc

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
So my brand new AOC Agon AG271QG was dead out of the box.

Wouldn't even turn on!!!

Going to Microcenter tomorrow to get an ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift.

Anyone know what "IPS lottery/roulette" means that people talk about when it comes to monitors?
Some of the fancy new panels (think 1440p, 144 or 165hz, IPS) have issues... whether annoyances like anisotropic backlight bleed or RMA-worthy things like columns of messed up pixels. I had to RMA my Acer XB270HU. But buying in person is nice because you can just go swap it if there's a problem (instead of mailing it).

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
My friend wants to build a new gaming pc with a budget of $1500. This is what she came up with so far, is there anything that could be improved? She has a 1080p monitor and plays mmo games, fortnite, pubg etc
No point in buying a 7700k anymore, even an 8600k (which is in stock) is a better choice imho. So I would definitely go for a coffee lake build. Also you're going to get suggestions of getting a different cooler and probably a better power supply.

Oct 29, 2017
Even with no overclocking in mind for the foreseeable future I would get a bigger cooler for that i7. Cryorig H5 at least. And 1070ti can be another thing to consider since the 1070s prices are so inflated they are nearly on the same range.

That said. This is a great 2017 built, but if it was planned for next year, then I would say to wait ansd see if intel Z390 boards have any features that make the difference and then pair that with a i5 8600K instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Some of the fancy new panels (think 1440p, 144 or 165hz, IPS) have issues... whether annoyances like anisotropic backlight bleed or RMA-worthy things like columns of messed up pixels. I had to RMA my Acer XB270HU. But buying in person is nice because you can just go swap it if there's a problem (instead of mailing it).

Yea that makes sense.

Microcenter is a one-hour drive one way. Still beats the mail I guess.

Fate

Oct 27, 2017
No point in buying a 7700k anymore, even an 8600k (which is in stock) is a better choice imho. So I would definitely go for a coffee lake build. Also you're going to get suggestions of getting a different cooler and probably a better power supply.

Even with no overclocking in mind for the foreseeable future I would get a bigger cooler for that i7. Cryorig H5 at least. And 1070ti can be another thing to consider since the 1070s prices are so inflated they are nearly on the same range.

That said. This is a great 2017 built, but if it was planned for next year, then I would say to wait ansd see if intel Z390 boards have any features that make the difference and then pair that with a i5 8600K instead.

Thanks for the tips, will consider this.

Here's my gaming PC build. I still think it's pretty solid. =D

Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB GDDR5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor, Black Edition (3.2GHz/3.6GHz Turbo Core)
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper N520
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB RAM (4x4GB)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series™ TX750 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD and Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD

Last edited:

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reposting this since I think people missed it the first time around.

Hello PC Build ERA,

With Black Friday upon us, I would like to finally have a gaming PC. This would be a brand new set since I don't currently have a PC. Hell I don't even have a monitor. I have keyboards and mouse's but I would rather buy new ones. I've been a console gamer all my life and only played some PC games so this world is completely new to me. I didn't even know about SSD's until like a month ago. so without further ado....

1. What's your budget?
Due to the fact that i will have to buy a monitor, keyboard, and mouse I was thinking somewhere between $1,500 - 2,000.

2. What do you want to use the computer for?
Mostly gaming but i'll use it for school stuff and maybe video editing with streams.

3. How soon do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
Black Friday or cyber Monday is when I'll purchase it but I'll probably build it in December.

4. Are you going to reuse any parts (upgrading) or are you building a completely new computer from scratch?
Building from scratch.

5. Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories too such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?
Will need a new monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Maybe speakers if they're cheap otherwise ill probably use headphones.

6. Are you interested in overclocking? (Overclocking is running components such as the processor or videocard at a higher speed than they come from the factory. It can give additional performance but can come with consequences such as increased heat (requiring better cooling), higher power consumption, possibly more noise, and stress testing to ensure that the overclock is stable.)
I'm not very computer savvy in the sense that most PC stuff goes over my head. I know about FPS and resolutions but other things will probably require me to do research. So I'm not really sure about this.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Here's my gaming PC build. I still think it's pretty solid. =D

Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB GDDR5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor, Black Edition (3.2GHz/3.6GHz Turbo Core)
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper N520
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB RAM (4x4GB)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series™ TX750 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD and Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD
Have you considered upgrading your CPU? Even a budget friendly 4c8t Ryzen would be a huge improvement.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'm reposting this since I think people missed it the first time around.

Hello PC Build ERA,

With Black Friday upon us, I would like to finally have a gaming PC. This would be a brand new set since I don't currently have a PC. Hell I don't even have a monitor. I have keyboards and mouse's but I would rather buy new ones. I've been a console gamer all my life and only played some PC games so this world is completely new to me. I didn't even know about SSD's until like a month ago. so without further ado....

1. What's your budget?
Due to the fact that i will have to buy a monitor, keyboard, and mouse I was thinking somewhere between $1,500 - 2,000.

2. What do you want to use the computer for?
Mostly gaming but i'll use it for school stuff and maybe video editing with streams.

3. How soon do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
Black Friday or cyber Monday is when I'll purchase it but I'll probably build it in December.

4. Are you going to reuse any parts (upgrading) or are you building a completely new computer from scratch?
Building from scratch.

5. Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories too such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?
Will need a new monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Maybe speakers if they're cheap otherwise ill probably use headphones.

6. Are you interested in overclocking? (Overclocking is running components such as the processor or videocard at a higher speed than they come from the factory. It can give additional performance but can come with consequences such as increased heat (requiring better cooling), higher power consumption, possibly more noise, and stress testing to ensure that the overclock is stable.)
I'm not very computer savvy in the sense that most PC stuff goes over my head. I know about FPS and resolutions but other things will probably require me to do research. So I'm not really sure about this.

Welcome to the ranks of PC gaming/building a PC!

You seem to have pretty straightforward needs and a budget, which makes this pretty easy to start with. Since you're new to PC building, I'm going to recommend a build for you which doesn't require you to overclock your processor (CPU) but will still be a great build regardless.

Please look in the OP of this thread for the "Intel Upper-mid tier" build. It is around $1,300 but does not include a keyboard, mouse, or monitor (it does include Windows, however). You don't necessarily need to buy that exact build, but I think it is a very good starting point. From there, you can expect to spend $200-$500 on a monitor and maybe $200 total on a keyboard/mouse; both those estimates depend on what you specifically pick out of course. Altogether, you'll be in your $1,500-$2,00 range and will easily play games at high settings at 1080p and at least 60 FPS.

Please look at that build that I mentioned and let me know if you have any initial thoughts or questions. I'm very happy to help you customize from there. If you have no real idea what you're looking at with that build, there is an included write-up I made that'll give you some sense of what each part is/does.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I dont understand why i have the worst luck with building my Mini-Itx build. I know how to build computers. Ive built mine, my sisters, helped build my in-laws, built my htpc. But every single time i try to build my new Mini-itx it fails.

Hear me out, and hopefully you can help me and tell me what i am missing here.

My 1st try. I imported the MB, the Cpu, ram and everything from a htpc build into my new mini-itx case. Everything turned on, but nothing is going through to the monitor. The cpu gets hot, all the fans spin, but nothing, even the mouse lights up. After much trial, i gave up and just thought maybe i broke something along the way when i imported parts over.

2nd try. I buy new shit. 6700k, asrock mobo, new ddr4 ram. Same shit nothing goes through. Everything turns on but nothing goes through to the monitor. I use onboard video, and dgpu, still nothing.

Maybe i was having the worst luck ever, nd just chalk it up to bad luck.

2 years later, trying right now again. 8350k, asrock mobo, new ddr4 ram. Still the samething. Wtfffffff is going on. What am i missing? I connect everything right. Rams are seated correctly, i connect both power supply cables tight and secure the 8 pin, and the big one. With those 3 connections along it should atleast post and show something to my monitor, but its not. What is going on. Someone please help. I must be missing something here.

Btw i have tried with 2 difference psus before.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand why i have the worst luck with building my Mini-Itx build. I know how to build computers. Ive built mine, my sisters, helped build my in-laws, built my htpc. But every single time i try to build my new Mini-itx it fails.

Hear me out, and hopefully you can help me and tell me what i am missing here.

My 1st try. I imported the MB, the Cpu, ram and everything from a htpc build into my new mini-itx case. Everything turned on, but nothing is going through to the monitor. The cpu gets hot, all the fans spin, but nothing, even the mouse lights up. After much trial, i gave up and just thought maybe i broke something along the way when i imported parts over.

2nd try. I buy new shit. 6700k, asrock mobo, new ddr4 ram. Same shit nothing goes through. Everything turns on but nothing goes through to the monitor. I use onboard video, and dgpu, still nothing.

Maybe i was having the worst luck ever, nd just chalk it up to bad luck.

2 years later, trying right now again. 8350k, asrock mobo, new ddr4 ram. Still the samething. Wtfffffff is going on. What am i missing? I connect everything right. Rams are seated correctly, i connect both power supply cables tight and secure the 8 pin, and the big one. With those 3 connections along it should atleast post and show something to my monitor, but its not. What is going on. Someone please help. I must be missing something here.

Btw i have tried with 2 difference psus before.
Try building it outside of the case (in case there's a short or something). Does it boot then?

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Try building it outside of the case (in case there's a short or something). Does it boot then?
Yea that was one of my thoughts as well. I have it outside the case. Its just connected to the 2 psu cables, my power switch, and monitor to mobo. Those connections alone should atleast show something up on my monitor and post just to see that its working, but its not.

Again, cpu gets hot, the heatsink thing on mobo gets hot too.

jarnet87

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Been eyeing the Meshify C as the case to build in. Only concern I have is fitting a Noctua NH-D15 (both fans). I read that the Corsair Vengeance LPX is 31mm, so I might be able to move the front fan up just a few mm and get it to fit. (Case says 172mm max cooler height, nh-d15 165mm height with fans, and 32mm of clearance). Then there is the chance it blocks a PCI lane depending on the motherboard lol. Alternate solutions are to get a AIO, or possibly the NH-D15S and then just get 2 Noctua 140mm fans for the front intake.

Looking for Z370 motherboard recommendations, preferably beginner friendly in terms of BIOS, first build.

Last edited:

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Yea that was one of my thoughts as well. I have it outside the case. Its just connected to the 2 psu cables, my power switch, and monitor to mobo. Those connections alone should atleast show something up on my monitor and post just to see that its working, but its not.

Again, cpu gets hot, the heatsink thing on mobo gets hot too.
What motherboard is it (actually all of the specs would help)? Can you also post a pic of your setup (might be able to see something)?

Tried a different monitor/cable/connection (HDMI vs displayport or DVI or whatever you have). Does your mobo have any diagnostic LEDs lit up to help you know what's the matter?

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Got the upgrading urge and some money burning a hole in my pocket. I currently have one of the HP prebuilts with an i7 6700 and 980ti, kinda missed having my own build, have been moving over to mostly PC gaming in the past year so why not.

Mobo : ASRock z370m Pro4 matx
Case : Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Anthracite Grey matx, plus some extra Noctua case fans.
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Gaming
CPU: I7 8700k
CPU Fan: Noctua ND15
Memory : 16gb G-Skill 2x8gb 4133 TridentZ (wanted 32gig but waaaay too expensive right now)
PSU: EVGA 750 G3

Using my existing bits for the rest - 1tb SSD w/Win10 Home 64bit, 4tb internal WD HDD, 4tb external HDD for Blu-ray rips, Anne Pro KB & Logitech G602 mouse.

I probably could have waited to do this since I am a ways off upgrading from my 1080p Panny plasma TV, but whatevs. Likely gonna be moving in the first half of next year and will likely sell the TV when that happens. Should have enough parts around to get the HP in sellable shape too.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Got the upgrading urge and some money burning a hole in my pocket. I currently have one of the HP prebuilts with an i7 6700 and 980ti, kinda missed having my own build, have been moving over to mostly PC gaming in the past year so why not.

Mobo : ASRock z370m Pro4 matx
Case : Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Anthracite Grey matx, plus some extra Noctua case fans.
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Gaming
CPU: I7 8700k
CPU Fan: Noctua ND15
Memory : 16gb G-Skill 2x8gb 4133 TridentZ (wanted 32gig but waaaay too expensive right now)
PSU: EVGA 750 G3

Using my existing bits for the rest - 1tb SSD w/Win10 Home 64bit, 4tb internal WD HDD, 4tb external HDD for Blu-ray rips, Anne Pro KB & Logitech G602 mouse.

I probably could have waited to do this since I am a ways off upgrading from my 1080p Panny plasma TV, but whatevs. Likely gonna be moving in the first half of next year and will likely sell the TV when that happens. Should have enough parts around to get the HP in sellable shape too.
Nice. Do you have the parts/have you built it yet? I'm curious to see what you end up running your ram at.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
What motherboard is it (actually all of the specs would help)? Can you also post a pic of your setup (might be able to see something)?

Tried a different monitor/cable/connection (HDMI vs displayport or DVI or whatever you have). Does your mobo have any diagnostic LEDs lit up to help you know what's the matter?
Apparently its hard to mount ram on a mini-itx board.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
No matter how well i thought i put in the ram, i guess it wasnt seated correctly. Its finally working now that i jammed it in.
Ah, glad to hear it. I sort of figured it was something simple.

edit: I feel for you but it's kind of amusing to think that it's been years and it was probably just the ram not being inserted correctly. :p

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, glad to hear it. I sort of figured it was something simple.

edit: I feel for you but it's kind of amusing to think that it's been years and it was probably just the ram not being inserted correctly. :p
Yes not only years. But i bought my dream case and i wasnt able to use it, and it was just sitting there for years laughing at me.

its the In Win 901 Gold Edition. Super rare.

maxresdefault.jpg

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
So is it worth it to invest the extra 50€ to get a Ryzen7 1700x instead of the normal 1700, will i get equal perfomancec ot of the 1700 when I overclock it?
The Ryzen 7 X models aren't really worth it. All Ryzen CPUs top out at 3.9/~4.0 GHz when overclocked anyway, so the better binning doesn't really pay off at all.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Help me figure out this problem.
Suddenly had a system shut off, with a blue screen visible for about <1 second. Then it won't start up. Opening it up, it now only boots up if one stick of RAM is in there, and then if the second one is put back, it will start up one more time, but then never start up. What could the problem be? Bad RAM? Bad Motherboard?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Suddenly had a system shut off, with a blue screen visible for about <1 second. Then it won't start up. Opening it up, it now only boots up if one stick of RAM is in there, and then if the second one is put back, it will start up one more time, but then never start up. What could the problem be? Bad RAM? Bad Motherboard?

Does the good stick or RAM work in every RAM slot? Or do both sticks fail in the same slot? If the slot is failing, it's probably a motherboard issue. If all th slots work with one RAM stick but the second RAM stick doesn't work in any slot, it's probably the RAM stick.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
ram seems likely... try one stick at a time, in each slot, see if it blue screens. try the second stick doing the same thing (just on its own -- not both).

if each stick works fine on its own but any combination of the two blue screens... well first clear the CMOS or reset to defaults in the BIOS if you can get there. take off any overclock you have. if that doesn't fix it you may need to update your motherboard's BIOS or troubleshoot other components (PSU though that seems unlikely), unplug everything not strictly necessary, etc.

you may also wish to run memtest86 on each stick to see if there are any memory issues, else your motherboard may be the culprit.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Does the good stick or RAM work in every RAM slot? Or do both sticks fail in the same slot? If the slot is failing, it's probably a motherboard issue. If all th slots work with one RAM stick but the second RAM stick doesn't work in any slot, it's probably the RAM stick.
I don't think all the slots have been tested yet.

ram seems likely... try one stick at a time, in each slot, see if it blue screens. try the second stick doing the same thing (just on its own -- not both).

if each stick works fine on its own but any combination of the two blue screens... well first clear the CMOS or reset to defaults in the BIOS if you can get there. take off any overclock you have. if that doesn't fix it you may need to update your motherboard's BIOS or troubleshoot other components (PSU though that seems unlikely), unplug everything not strictly necessary, etc.

you may also wish to run memtest86 on each stick to see if there are any memory issues, else your motherboard may be the culprit.
It seems to boot only when the sticks are changed, whether it be slots or number of sticks. Will try updating the BIOS and then probably resetting BIOS settings.

john385

Oct 26, 2017
Is it worth buying a 1080 or 1070Ti for a i5-4690k, 16GB RAM if I only game on 1080p/60?
Currently have a 970.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a significant upgrade between a 6600K (OC'd to 4.5) and 7700K? I'm not using my pc for anything other than gaming and web browsing (not streaming or anything) so would this be a worthwhile upgrade for just gaming? Looks like 7700k is on sale and it seems like my i5 is bottle-necking my system on certain games (CPU usage hits 100% regularly on AC:Origins).

I'm running a GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a significant upgrade between a 6600K (OC'd to 4.5) and 7700K? I'm not using my pc for anything other than gaming and web browsing (not streaming or anything) so would this be a worthwhile upgrade for just gaming? Looks like 7700k is on sale and it seems like my i5 is bottle-necking my system on certain games (CPU usage hits 100% regularly on AC:Origins).

I'm running a GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
How much is the 7700k? I don't think it's worth it imo. If you get a new CPU I would get a 6-core for sure (or 8-core if you wait till next year). TBH the 7700k is behind the coffee lake i5s... unless you can get a great deal on the 7700k I wouldn't bother.

BorntoPlay

Banned for Abusing Giftbot
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Venezuela

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
How much is the 7700k? I don't think it's worth it imo. If you get a new CPU I would get a 6-core for sure (or 8-core if you wait till next year). TBH the 7700k is behind the coffee lake i5s... unless you can get a great deal on the 7700k I wouldn't bother.

It's $290.00 USD and I'd obviously need a new mobo with it. Just feel like I'm not getting the performance I want with my current set up, but I don't want to go through the hassle if it's a marginal upgrade.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
It's $290.00 USD and I'd obviously need a new mobo with it. Just feel like I'm not getting the performance I want with my current set up, but I don't want to go through the hassle if it's a marginal upgrade.

Ok, AC origins aside, what about in other games? What monitor are you playing on (resolution, refresh rate)? All you're really getting out of it is hyperthreading, as kaby lake doesn't offer any IPC improvement over skylake. I don't think it's worth it at $300, especially when the new 6-core parts are already out. But are you still playing at 1080/60? Higher resolutions will push the bottleneck to the GPU more btw.

You wouldn't need a new mobo, Z170 can support kaby lake if you update the mobo's bios (confirm with the manufacturer that you have the needed bios version).

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
im upgrading from a i5-6500 so i think is a great deal, considering there is two recently $60 games includes for free and dont have to replace my motherboard......
What GPU do you have? How much can you sell the keys for (or are they locked in some way?)? Go for it if you want it. When you replied about the price I thought you were the guy I was responding to lol.

BorntoPlay

Banned for Abusing Giftbot
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Venezuela
What GPU do you have? How much can you sell the keys for (or are they locked in some way?)? Go for it if you want it. When you replied about the price I thought you were the guy I was responding to lol.

I still using a gtx 970, but i will upgrade to a 1070 next year... i will sell it for $40 each and is not locked, (if you are interested let me know...lol), dont worry about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.