• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to install all that stuff. If issues arise, then you can consider installing those things.

I agree, coil whine isn't indicative of any sort of hardware failure, it's just an annoyance. You can try to RMA/return, but there's not a guarantee the new one won't have the same issue. I wouldn't blame you for trying, though. If you can still return it in store or use their protection plan, I'd go that route, as RMA's usually require you to pay the return shipping at a minimum and then you also are out a GPU for 1-3 weeks depending on turn around time.

I haven't noticed mouse acceleration issues with Gsync. However, try this: Press Windows Key + S and type in "Mouse" in the search bar. Open the Mouse Settings. Click "Additional mouse options" in the top-right. Go to the "Pointer Options" tab. Is "Enhance Pointer Precision" checked? If so, uncheck it, then see if the sensitive issue is resolved while gaming. I always disable the EPP setting as I find it's a bit annoying in-game.

Thank Mr/Ms. Bubbly, you're a good and helpful OP.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My 13 year old running 2560x1440 has just figured out that you can tweak settings to make shit look better, and as such he's become aware of framerate.

Please keep my wallet and his GTX 1060 in your thoughts.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
first and last time I try and order anything like that from best buy

stubbornly waited 2 weeks for that 9900k I ordered from them before finally just now giving up and ordering it from amazon instead,never even ended up shipping

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
So i installed a capture card in my PC today under my graphics card and i realized it's like very close to the card is it safe? If this GPU gonna melt this capture card?

Oct 26, 2017
So finally after all the dust has settled from Black Friday and Cyber Monday, after all my parts came in, I got my new rig built. Figured I'd post the completed build since I've been reading this thread everyday for the past 2 weeks haha.

I failed to get a picture of all the parts before the comp was put together so here's the obligatory pictures of boxes recreated minus the case (I threw in the case's accessories box at least) and empty ram box I just turned around.
H9iNZju.jpg
Through the tempered glass side panel
Me learning that these get fingerprints and smudges easily.
Back panel cable management, thank you modular PSU and shroud.
And lastly the blurry darkroom shot to see all the leds.
Though ofcourse all the led colors can change sans the GPU's but I'm not picky so ti'ss all good.

Got my RAM running at 3200, all my bios, chipsets, video, audio, and lan drivers updated.
Takes 20 seconds to boot, it's my first time running my OS off a SSD, godly.
Temps are good, it's quiet af. Played TW3 at capped 60FPS on Ultra feels great. Got into the Anthem Closed Alpha so I'll see how that is tomorrow.
Overall very happy!

Here's the spec list:
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $179.99)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $107.51)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $158.23)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $127.99)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 590 8 GB FATBOY OC+ Video Card (Purchased For $279.99)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $69.99)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $59.99)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $983.69

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
So finally after all the dust has settled from Black Friday and Cyber Monday, after all my parts came in, I got my new rig built. Figured I'd post the completed build since I've been reading this thread everyday for the past 2 weeks haha.

I failed to get a picture of all the parts before the comp was put together so here's the obligatory pictures of boxes recreated minus the case (I threw in the case's accessories box at least) and empty ram box I just turned around.

Though ofcourse all the led colors can change sans the GPU's but I'm not picky so ti'ss all good.

Got my RAM running at 3200, all my bios, chipsets, video, audio, and lan drivers updated.
Temps are good, it's quiet af. Played TW3 at capped 60FPS on Ultra feels great. Got into the Anthem Closed Alpha so I'll see how that is tomorrow.
Overall very happy!

Here's the spec list:

Same gpu I just got. Nice to get those 3 free games, eh? I can't wait for RE2.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
first and last time I try and order anything like that from best buy

stubbornly waited 2 weeks for that 9900k I ordered from them before finally just now giving up and ordering it from amazon instead,never even ended up shipping

meanwhile amazon already shipped it less than 6 hours after I ordered it and it says it's arriving tomorrow

Lancerlot

Oct 27, 2017
This is my Build. but it's giving me this problem:-
"The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled."

Help please. Need a motherboard that doesn't give me this problem.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
"The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled."

I may be wrong, but i believe all motherboards share m.2/SATA lanes if they have more than one M.2. How many Drives/M.2 Drives will you be using?

Storage Devices
SATA 6Gb/s
6 x SATA3 6.0Gb/s Connectors, support RAID, NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug*
* If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_5 will be disabled.
* If M2_2 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_1 will be disabled.
* If M2_2 is occupied by a PCIe-type M.2 device, SATA3_0 will be disabled.

M.2
1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32Gb/s)**
1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32Gb/s)**

If M2_1 is occupied by a PCIe-type M.2 device, nothing will be be disabled.

You can have either:
- 1x M.2 (as long as it's PCIe-type M.2 plugged into the M2_1slot) plus 6 other drives (SATA3_0 to SATA3_5)
or:
- 2x M.2 plus 5 other drives (SATA3_1 to SATA3_5)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017

I think that just in the nature of how the limited amount of lanes are shared in mobos for intel mainstream chips.

However, if you need four SATA ports on a mobo, you can go around the issue of having one port disabled with a mobo that has six. (for instance the MSI mobos all seem to have six, even similarly priced to the Asrock like the MSI - Z390-A PRO, and checking the manual you only loose one SATA in that one).

Lancerlot

Oct 27, 2017
I may be wrong, but i believe all motherboards share m.2/SATA lanes if they have more than one M.2. How many Drives/M.2 Drives will you be using?

You can have either:
- 1x M.2 (as long as it's PCIe-type M.2 plugged into the M2_1slot) plus 6 other drives (SATA3_0 to SATA3_5)
or:

I think that just in the nature of how the limited amount of lanes are shared in mobos for intel mainstream chips.

However, if you need four SATA ports on a mobo, you can go around the issue of having one port disabled with a mobo that has six. (for instance the MSI mobos all seem to have six, even similarly priced to the Asrock like the MSI - Z390-A PRO, and checking the manual you only loose one SATA in that one).

can you please recommend me a good motherboard?.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Im planning on builing a PC for my nephew, an I got a couple of questions..

is 8 gigs of ram enough for gaming? and, hes already got a PC with windows 10, can I transfer that license to the new one, or do I have to buy a new one?

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think something is wrong with my MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8 GB. It's reaching 80°C-90°C on most games now without me changing anything. That didn't even happen in summer when I had 30°C or more in my house and now it's 21°C and the GPU temperature is crazy. I checked all fans and everything seems to work. Any ideas what I should do? It's probably the heat sink if I had to guess. How hard is it to check if the thermal paste is ok or if something is loose? Are there any teardown guides?

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im planning on builing a PC for my nephew, an I got a couple of questions..

is 8 gigs of ram enough for gaming? and, hes already got a PC with windows 10, can I transfer that license to the new one, or do I have to buy a new one?
8 should be enough. 16 is the sweetspot though.

You can have either:
or:

I plan on doing 2x m.2 and probably 2 ssds and 1 hdd, does this work https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dorkimoe/saved/#view=DwrXP6 (i know i dont have all the parts on there)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is a 1440p IPS G Sync monitor and options are shit rn. Must be the time of year.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I need some quick help guys

I'm trying to install my Cryorig H7 Plus cooler right now and took everything apart but the socket where the screws go into doesn't sit onto the side of the case where the motherbard sits on. How am I supposed to install this? Should I take the motherboard off and install it while it's free then screw the motherboard back intoplace? I'm not even sure there's enough space between the side of the case and the motherbard

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
can you please recommend me a good motherboard?.
8 should be enough. 16 is the sweetspot though.

I plan on doing 2x m.2 and probably 2 ssds and 1 hdd, does this work https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dorkimoe/saved/#view=DwrXP6 (i know i dont have all the parts on there)
I would watch the video Vulcano's Assistant recommended before making any decisions.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017

Overall very happy!

Here's the spec list:
She's a real beaut. Fantastic build, yo.

Lancerlot

Oct 27, 2017
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro seems pretty decent without going into premium prices, but not cheapening on VRM so still good for Overclocking.
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mothe...otherboard-Review/Overclocking-and-Conclusion

edit: also a roundup by Gamer Nexus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5NDtS8za8g

I added the board you mentioned and got this
"
The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

"

What should i do? i have one ssd and 3 hdd and an optical drive. I'm afraid this small problem will ruin my build.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
"
The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

"

What should i do? i have one ssd and 3 hdd and an optical drive. I'm afraid this small problem will ruin my build.

You can look for a different board with slightly different compromises, but the bottom line is that there aren't enough PCIE resources on the mainstream platform. M.2 slots will share resources with either SATA ports, PCIE slots, or both.

Sorry, should have combined posts.

Oct 29, 2017
"

"

You can still have five SATA ports if you only use one M.2, but it is cutting it close.

I don't see a lot of options but here's another. ASRock - Z390 Taichi Ultimate. This mobo is way more expensive, but I think this works.
It has eight SATA ports, using one M.2 you can either disable one or two ports depending on the slot you use.
"The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.
The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.
The motherboard M.2 slot #3 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled. "

edit: Nevermind, if you add the other 4 drives to the PCpartpicker list it gives you a warning that two more SATA Ports are needed.

You may have to replace those HDDs with a single big HDD or a pair, not ideal but probably the less expensive solution.

Last edited:

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
"

"

Just use a PCIE sata controller card. Then, you can connect extra device to it.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Con...178&sr=8-3&keywords=pcie+sata+controller+card

senj

Nov 6, 2017
So, i installed HWiNFO and I got this:
48091924_539272696546851_209495108695883776_n.jpg

47575361_539272819880172_1719079867317747712_n.jpg

But I don't know what that means, what should I do ?
When a drive read/write errors trying to read or write data to a damaged sector, it marks it as bad, and re-maps those locations to disk sectors kept in reserve — the OS doesn't notice anything different but the drive is working around damage. This can cause slowdowns because when the OS tells it to write data to location X, the drive has to look up where X has been moved to, potentially multiple times if some of the reserve space is itself damaged.

SMART is a little weird in that values start at a high number and count down towards a threshold. In your drives case it started at 100, counting down towards 10, at which point the drive will be dead as far as SMART is concerned.

You've experienced 32 total reallocated sectors, but the drive still considers the SMART score for it to be 100. Basically HWinfo is just warning you that you're seeing some (not a lot) bad sectors. You might keep an eye on it and if you see that raw number going up or your SMART score dropping towards the error threshold, replace it, but you're not seeing a ton of sector remapping to be honest.

The biggest thing is watching how it trends over time. It could have shipped with 32 bad sectors, and not have budged since. But if it keeps going up as time goes on, replace it.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys recommend an i5-9600k or for 70 bucks more, an i7-8700k. Mainly playing FPS and RTS games at 1440p. Thanks!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
When a drive read/write errors trying to read or write data to a damaged sector, it marks it as bad, and re-maps those locations to disk sectors kept in reserve — the OS doesn't notice anything different but the drive is working around damage. This can cause slowdowns because when the OS tells it to write data to location X, the drive has to look up where X has been moved to, potentially multiple times if some of the reserve space is itself damaged.

SMART is a little weird in that values start at a high number and count down towards a threshold. In your drives case it started at 100, counting down towards 10, at which point the drive will be dead as far as SMART is concerned.

You've experienced 32 total reallocated sectors, but the drive still considers the SMART score for it to be 100. Basically HWinfo is just warning you that you're seeing some (not a lot) bad sectors. You might keep an eye on it and if you see that raw number going up or your SMART score dropping towards the error threshold, replace it, but you're not seeing a ton of sector remapping to be honest.

The biggest thing is watching how it trends over time. It could have shipped with 32 bad sectors, and not have budged since. But if it keeps going up as time goes on, replace it.

This is a good post. My personal experience has been that when I see sectors that start getting remapped on a drive > 3 years old or so, I just replace it to avoid the hassle and possible data loss. I always have backups, but it's a hassle. I lost an SSD in my Mac Pro a few weeks ago and by the time I've gotten a replacement and cloned, etc .. was a PITA.

TLDR: I don't trust drives once they start remapping sectors.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

thanks for the in depth explanation <3

maybe a little off topic, but I just finished my new PC, do we have a thread where we can share some pics ?

cebri

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I have some questions, maybe some of you could answer.

1- Owner of 6600K, 1060 6GB and 8GB of RAM. Currently looking for some upgrading options, tell me what you think:
  • New ryzen 2 rig mid next year. Sell 6600k (+ Z170 MB) and add another 8GB of RAM. ($++)
  • Stick with current configuration (a bit worried about those 4 cores being a bottleneck) and add another 8GB.
With rumored prices for Ryzen 2 a nice 8C/16T config could be enough for the next 5 years.

2- Also owner of a Gsync monitor, with the advent of HDMI 2.1, is it worth keeping it, should I sell it before it losses value?

Thank you in advance.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Update: As some of you remember, I upgraded to a 9900k with a Gigabyte Z390 Designare. My Noctua NH-D15 did not fit with fins/logo vertical. I had to rotate, and this is not ideal for air flow in my case. I purchased a NH-D15S on recommendation from Lakeside(Thanks Lakeside!) from this very thread. I am happy to report that it fits! It's tight, but it just barely makes it.

On the downside, my 4 TB Data drive just died on me :(

So I'm upgrading my CPU. I currently have an i5-3470 @ 3.2GHZ. I don't know my motherboard but it's listed as Asustek. My GPU is a 1060 and I have 16GB of RAM. Can you guys guide me in the right direction for what CPU I can run and what is a good deal?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm upgrading my CPU. I currently have an i5-3470 @ 3.2GHZ. I don't know my motherboard but it's listed as Asustek. My GPU is a 1060 and I have 16GB of RAM. Can you guys guide me in the right direction for what CPU I can run and what is a good deal?

You will need to do CPU, motherboard, and RAM. Your old motherboard is a dead end and a different 6 year old CPU wouldn't be worthwhile. Meanwhile, current motherboards use DDR4 and you own DDR3.

The good news is that people will buy your old components on EBay. Just part it out.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I was in the exactly same situation, but in my case I had an I3 4150 with gtx 1060. You gonna need a new MOBO and RAM. I got an I3 8100 and so far things have been really good, I can play Batman Arkham Knight 1080p 60fps with everything on high.
If you are interested you gonna need a MOBO for the 8th gen socket 1151, DDR4 ram 2400 mhz

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's just a holiday thing, or if FedEx really has turned to garbage now. First, they drop off my 9600K at 8:30am without even buzzing me to be let in, so they just left it outside of the security doors, then the very next day at 8:45am they pull the same shit with my motherboard. I was supposed to have my Fractal R6 delivered on Thursday, but for some reason it sat fourteen hours in the same city on the truck and "in transit", so they decided to update at the end of the day that it was instead going to be delivered on Friday. So yesterday they randomly dropped it off at 3:45pm, and again they didn't even try to contact me, they just dropped it off outside and ninja vanished.

I don't have this problem at all with UPS or USPS, they actually get here with about the same speed and they cost much less. I guess the only way to make sure this doesn't happen is to no longer order anything from B&H or Newegg.

BTW, going from an Obsidian 800d to an R6 is ridiculous.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's just a holiday thing, or if FedEx really has turned to garbage now. First, they drop off my 9600K at 8:30am without even buzzing me to be let in, so they just left it outside of the security doors, then the very next day at 8:45am they pull the same shit with my motherboard. I was supposed to have my Fractal R6 delivered on Thursday, but for some reason it sat fourteen hours in the same city on the truck and "in transit", so they decided to update at the end of the day that it was instead going to be delivered on Friday. So yesterday they randomly dropped it off at 3:45pm, and again they didn't even try to contact me, they just dropped it off outside and ninja vanished.

I don't have this problem at all with UPS or USPS, they actually get here with about the same speed and they cost much less. I guess the only way to make sure this doesn't happen is to no longer order anything from B&H or Newegg.

BTW, going from an Obsidian 800d to an R6 is ridiculous.

In my experience its all about the drivers/delivery people.

Some will just do the absolute bare minimum, some go the extra mile and more.

Thankfully I don't live in an apartment building and my USPS/UPS guys/gals are amazing.

In the old place I used to live I had trouble with UPS tho, but those were different drivers assigned to that area.

Last edited:

Electro15

Oct 7, 2018
So today I was going to get my final part (ram) to do my build, but Fedex decide to give my package to the post office for them to deliver and now it won't get here this weekend. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.