• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looking for build advice now that we're kind of established in some knowledge about the RTX line of cards and Radeon VII. Copy-pasting the question list from the OP to try and give a comprehensive picture of what I'm going for:

$1500 USD for the tower alone.

Gaming at 1440p, with specific titles of interest right now being: Tekken 7, Apex Legends, Forza Horizon 4. I want it to be able to do Variable Refresh Rate north of 60fps in supported titles, but not necessarily at the maximum refresh rate possible (doesn't need to hit 120 or 144Hz necessarily, just north of 60fps). I also want to be able to capture and edit 1080p/60fps game footage with this machine -- I will not be aiming to capture or edit 4K, so I don't need to future proof at this time for that eventuality -- I am willing to upgrade again if that becomes my desire later on, so just a target 1080p/60fps capture/edit for now.

Immediately, and preferably with the entire set of components via Microcenter as I have a nearby store location that I can visit and get cracking right away.

From scratch. I'll need Windows 10 factored into the cost, too.

I could use a suggestion on a 27-inch VRR-compatible monitor for purchase LATER but at the time of this post, the $1500 budget is intended to encompass ONLY the tower itself -- no other accessories.

No, I am trying to approach this build as tinker-free as possible. I will highly prefer to run everything at its stock capability.

For 1500 I would probably make a build around the ryzen 2700x and the RTX2080

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pdCvQZ

Just got a new EVGA RTX 2080 and was wondering if I need to upgrade my CPU/Mobo for 144hz AAA gaming? I have an i5-6600k and an ASUS Z170-A. Also have 2x4GB DDR4 ram. Is it worth it to update it to a new AMD or Intel?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Looking for build advice now that we're kind of established in some knowledge about the RTX line of cards and Radeon VII. Copy-pasting the question list from the OP to try and give a comprehensive picture of what I'm going for:

$1500 USD for the tower alone.

Gaming at 1440p, with specific titles of interest right now being: Tekken 7, Apex Legends, Forza Horizon 4. I want it to be able to do Variable Refresh Rate north of 60fps in supported titles, but not necessarily at the maximum refresh rate possible (doesn't need to hit 120 or 144Hz necessarily, just north of 60fps). I also want to be able to capture and edit 1080p/60fps game footage with this machine -- I will not be aiming to capture or edit 4K, so I don't need to future proof at this time for that eventuality -- I am willing to upgrade again if that becomes my desire later on, so just a target 1080p/60fps capture/edit for now.

Immediately, and preferably with the entire set of components via Microcenter as I have a nearby store location that I can visit and get cracking right away.

From scratch. I'll need Windows 10 factored into the cost, too.

I could use a suggestion on a 27-inch VRR-compatible monitor for purchase LATER but at the time of this post, the $1500 budget is intended to encompass ONLY the tower itself -- no other accessories.

No, I am trying to approach this build as tinker-free as possible. I will highly prefer to run everything at its stock capability.

Here's a 1500 USD build with a high end SSD, a black/red color scheme, and some subtle RGB to make it go fast*. It's aimed at 1440P gaming with a 2070 and an i7 to fuel super high FPS at that resolution. I also left plenty of cooling headroom and included the appropriate hardware for overclocking. I assume most if not all of these parts should be available at Microcenter (didn't explicitly check) and I also assume microcenter like all good retailers does price matching.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($409.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($140.57 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1496.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-13 15:31 EST-0500
*RGB doesn't actually make it go fast

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pdCvQZ

Just got a new EVGA RTX 2080 and was wondering if I need to upgrade my CPU/Mobo for 144hz AAA gaming? I have an i5-6600k and an ASUS Z170-A. Also have 2x4GB DDR4 ram. Is it worth it to update it to a new AMD or Intel?
I imagine aiming for over 100 fps, so I would say yes, the 6600k will held you back at very high frame rate.

What to upgrade? Not sure. A 7700k would be a super easy single-component-swap upgrade and halfway gets you there, but it isn't a better value proposition than getting a 8th or 9th gen CPU since its price didn't really go down. I would say the better bang for the buck is a 9600K.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
What resolution and frame rate are you targeting

I imagine aiming for over 100 fps, so I would say yes, the 6600k will held you back at very high frame rate.

What to upgrade? Not sure. A 7700k would a super easy upgrade and halfway gets you there, but it isn't a better value proposition than getting a 8th or 9th gen CPU since its price didn't really go down. I would say the better bang for the buck is a 9600K.

Dang. Sorry. Meant to include that. Yeah, looking at 100fps+/144hz Gsync AAA gaming. I feel like the CPU is holding me back (especially in BFV with ray tracing), which is why I'm asking.

I'll have to get another MOBO either way with the new Intel generation so I'm also open to either AMD or Intel.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
From the product page:

Those seem to be the best options. Looking at some user comments, the C7 stock fan isn't great, and the NH-L9i (L9a for AM4) would be able to fit a taller fan (if you really needed more cfm).

There is a copper version of the C7, if you go that route.
I wanted to do a Frankenstein of a cooler by combining the Cryorig copper heatsink with the Noctua fan...

Apparently results still aren't as good because the Noctua fan still isn't blowing enough air to it?

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dang. Sorry. Meant to include that. Yeah, looking at 100fps+/144hz Gsync AAA gaming. I feel like the CPU is holding me back (especially in BFV with ray tracing), which is why I'm asking.

I'll have to get another MOBO either way with the new Intel generation so I'm also open to either AMD or Intel.

I agree with Vulcano's Assistant then. If aiming for 100+ fps you're going to get bottlenecked, especially in battlefield. I would do what he recommended and buy a cheap 6700k or 7700k if you can find one on craigslist or r/hardwareswap. Kaby lake can be used on z170 if you update bios. If you dont find one or want to upgrade anyway, I would see if you can hold out for a few months and see what the new ryzens look like.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Here's a 1500 USD build with a high end SSD, a black/red color scheme, and some subtle RGB to make it go fast*. It's aimed at 1440P gaming with a 2070 and an i7 to fuel super high FPS at that resolution. I also left plenty of cooling headroom and included the appropriate hardware for overclocking. I assume most if not all of these parts should be available at Microcenter (didn't explicitly check) and I also assume microcenter like all good retailers does price matching.

*RGB doesn't actually make it go fast

Excellent, thank you very much for taking the time to set me a target!

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Yall got any RTX 2080 recommendations for me? Recently expanded my budget for my build and want to get a 2080 instaed of a 2070.

Oct 29, 2017

If you are open to waiting for summer when the new Zen 2 Ryzen are aiming to release, then I would wait for those if going AMD. As of now just pure gaming performance Intel 9th gen has the edge, which I say it is more pronounced when very high frame rates is the goal. AMD promised their 3700X would at the least match a 9900K.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Feeling froggy and these seem to be among the best prices these items have been at. Any reason not to jump?

jk61ey625p8enget.png

Didn't realize the 500d was that expensive. But I've always liked that case. If you feel it'll last you a while go for it.

As you're aware I have the h115i version of that cooler. Now on my build I bought 3 extra RGB case fans and there's two that come with the cooler. Keep in mind with RGB there are two cables of everything. One for the fan, and then for the RGB.

I ended up getting a Corsair Commander Pro, plugging my three new case fans 4 pin headers into it, and then using the RGB controller plugged into it as well that came with the separate pack of Corsair RGB fans that I bought. Everything needs to line up so fan 1 on the commander pro needs to match the fan 1 cable on the RGB controller and so on and so forth. To top it off I have the USB from the H115i pump plugged into a USB port Commander as well,saving me a USB header port on my mobo.

As you can imagine this can get messy really quick, and I underestimated the amount of cabling and routing involved. BUT I got it all situated and everything loaded up and worked on first boot, but just be aware if you wanna go down that road,and considering RGB factors into the pricing of these types of items, something to think about .

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Didn't realize the 500d was that expensive. But I've always liked that case. If you feel it'll last you a while go for it.

As you're aware I have the h115i version of that cooler. Now on my build I bought 3 extra RGB case fans and there's two that come with the cooler. Keep in mind with RGB there are two cables of everything. One for the fan, and then for the RGB.

I ended up getting a Corsair Commander Pro, plugging the 4 pin fan headers into it, and then using the RGB controller plugged into it as well that came the separate pack of fans I bought. Everything needs to line up so fan 1 on the commander pro needs to match the fan 1 cable on the RGB controller and so on and so forth. To top it off I have the USB from the H115i pump plugged into a USB port Commander as well,saving me a USB header port on my mobo.

As you can imagine this can get messy really quick, and I underestimated the amount of cabling and routing involved. BUT I got it all situated and everything loaded up and worked on first boot, but just be aware if you wanna go down that road.

Yep got a 1000D and the cabling with 13 LL fans is awful. I'm going to be adding 3 more for push and pull at the top and I don't want to even think about it. What's funny is as of right now that build isn't being used/plugged in. I'm using my 9900K build as my main right now inside my evolve X. No RGB in there and cable management was easy.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Yep got a 1000D and the cabling with 13 LL fans is awful. I'm going to be adding 3 more for push and pull at the top and I don't want to even think about it. What's funny is as of right now that build isn't being used/plugged in. I'm using my 9900K build as my main right now inside my evolve X. No RGB in there and cable management was easy.

16 RGB fans, 32 cables, whew. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers .

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if the built in mobo auto overclocks are even viable (ASUS Prime Z390/9700k)? They were crap 4 years ago when I last did a build, I'm assuming it's the same. It took me ages to set my overclocks last time and I'm extremely lazy to do it this weekend.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Question about PSUs...

If my Corsair GS700 is perpetually spinning up then immediately spinning down again through playing anything, is that a definite sign of a problem?

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, I want some white cables.

Is there a reason to pay $80 for a cable kit vs $30 for Phanteks or Fstop Labs cable extensions?
Knowing they're OEM. Or if for some reason your cables can be seen directly from the PSU. Personally, I'd just have issues stuffing all the extra cable into the space behind the motherboard. Other than that they're probably fine.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, EVGA will sell you extra individual PSU cables for $5.99 a piece if you lost yours. Just thought I'd get that in a searchable format for the Internet. I had to email customer service but they let me know that was an option.

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, I want some white cables.

Is there a reason to pay $80 for a cable kit vs $30 for Phanteks or Fstop Labs cable extensions?
I suppose if there is a window showing the back of the case or the PSU is exposed and you want to show them coming out of the PSU.

Other than that, if the cables are not just extension, but connect to the PSU directly, you want to make sure they are made for your specific brand of PSU.

Last edited:

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Asking here in case someone had a similar experience - I have a 3-monitor setup on a GTX970, two of them through DVI and one DP. The center one (DP, and not set as main display) is also used for gaming though its HDMI input. Problem is, when I switch the inputs, Windows 7 randomly recognizes there are now 2 monitors instead of 3.

I'm afraid I can't really help, but why do you do the port switch between DP and HDMI?

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished building my PC a month ago and wanted to share the end result. It was my first SFF PC so I had a bit of trouble with putting it together. Because it had been so long since I put together a PC from scratch plus trying to figure out the cabling the building took about 8 hours total. Overall I'm super satisfied with the end result and immensely excited.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC2 Video Card
Case: NCASE M1
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, 1x Noctua NF-A9 PWM

snack

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys. My friend has a i3 4130 and a gtx 750 gpu. What is the best thing he can buy (at most 200 dollars cad) to upgrade his pc? I am thinking cpu?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys. My friend has a i3 4130 and a gtx 750 gpu. What is the best thing he can buy (at most 200 dollars cad) to upgrade his pc? I am thinking cpu?

That's actually pretty tricky as CPU, ram, and new board will be tough to keep that cheap. Maybe a ryzen 1600, cheap am4 board, and a cheap stick of 8gb ddr4.

Or go with gpu, probably a used 1070 or new RX 580.

Maybe you could find a used i7 4790k for less than $200. But I'd recommend the ryzen set up as it probably wouldn't cost much more and will allow for much greater upgrade potential down the line.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the built in mobo auto overclocks are even viable (ASUS Prime Z390/9700k)? They were crap 4 years ago when I last did a build, I'm assuming it's the same. It took me ages to set my overclocks last time and I'm extremely lazy to do it this weekend.

I'm temporarily using the AI OC feature, where the system learns how you use the system, it's power usage etc. I'm at 4.8ghz when it's pushed and about mid 30s when idle. I'm happy with it and it's a vastly improved feature from my previous rig from 2014. I still plan to do it manually sometime this weekend to get it to 5ghz+ though.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Don't cheap out on RAM if you're going Ryzen. Ryzen is incredibly bandwidth hungry and you'll see notable FPS gains all the way to 3466MHZ (some boards don't support above 3200MHZ so that's you're best bet)
image.png.6d3137903482185ba47b8d0ddd5792f7.png
If you play on LOW. Even on medium it's not that dramatic. But it's a good thing you can overclock most quality RAM to higher MHz with no issue.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking for some nice charts showing 4k performance based on CPU. Would anyone know where to find one? Everything I'm finding for reviews on CPUs contain 1080p and 1440p charts

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I need some desperate help.

Which motherboard should I purchase for my Ryzen 2600X build?

B450 or X470?

Here are what I researched:

ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming Motherboard - Black
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I have heard bad things about the Gigabyte motherboards so haven't listed them. The ASUS Prime is also supposedly of inferior quality. Unfortunately it seems quite difficult to decide which one to go for.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I need some desperate help.

Which motherboard should I purchase for my Ryzen 2600X build?

B450 or X470?

Here are what I researched:

ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming Motherboard - Black
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I have heard bad things about the Gigabyte motherboards so haven't listed them. The ASUS Prime is also supposedly of inferior quality. Unfortunately it seems quite difficult to decide which one to go for.

Are you planning on doing hardcore overclocking? If not unless the MOBO is just known to have serious issues like spontaneously combusting (seen a forum post where that happened with an Asrock) then don't overthink it. Double check user reviews and just get whatever best fits your budget and needs. Also note X470 boards have some upgrades like additional PCIE lanes so you can connect more peripherals and drives.

If you are planning on doing serious overclocking then there's a few more things to take into consideration though.

Last edited:

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
So, Best Buy has the Dell S2417DG on sale for $330 right now and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on it (I currently have dual 24" 5+ year old Dell Ultra Sharps). Anyone have any experience with it around here, and how do y'all like it?

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking of upgrading my monitor. I don't want a gigantic one so I think 4k is out of the question. I saw the Acer Predator XB271HU QHD 144Hz G-Sync 27in IPS Gaming Monitor is meant to be good. It's very pricey but is it worth it? Would 144Hz and G-Sync still work on a PC that hasn't been upgraded in a few years? I have a 970GTX. I'm not sure what others might be worth buying. I haven't gotten a new monitor in like...10 years.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of upgrading my monitor. I don't want a gigantic one so I think 4k is out of the question. I saw the Acer Predator XB271HU QHD 144Hz G-Sync 27in IPS Gaming Monitor is meant to be good. It's very pricey but is it worth it? Would 144Hz and G-Sync still work on a PC that hasn't been upgraded in a few years? I have a 970GTX. I'm not sure what others might be worth buying. I haven't gotten a new monitor in like...10 years.

It will work fine for games from 2016 or so and before. You'll start running into problems running the most recent games at full resolution. I just upgraded from a 970 to a 2080 on my PG279Q and the difference is worth it; I would say go for the monitor first, then see if you want to start budgeting for a new video card in the coming year.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
It will work fine for games from 2016 or so and before. You'll start running into problems running the most recent games at full resolution. I just upgraded from a 970 to a 2080 on my PG279Q and the difference is worth it; I would say go for the monitor first, then see if you want to start budgeting for a new video card in the coming year.

Same. I ran my XB270U on a 970 for about 2 years until I just upgraded it to a 2080 this month.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Same. I ran my XB270U on a 970 for about 2 years until I just upgraded it to a 2080 this month.

The price of the 2080 has turned me off so much. They're outrageously expensive here. It costs nearly as much as my pc cost to fully build a few years ago and it was on the high end. I might just look for a good lower end ips monitor for now.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have a tech question . . . .

I'm having an odd problem with my work PC. It's a bit of an old machine but still runs fine when I'm in Windows, the problem is getting there. If I have my monitor plugged into the wall, the machine will start up and then immediately shut down. However, if I wait for windows to boot and then plug the monitor into the wall, it works fine. I'm planning on getting a new CMOS battery, but does this sound like a power supply problem? The machine was booting fine two months ago.

Edit: oh, and I should add, if I do a 'restart' the system reboots fine. It's that initial start-up that causes all the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.