• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Any guidance on buying a used GPU that was used for mining?
I have an offer for a GTX1080 that ran 6 months at 65% power limit, not sure what to make of it.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Any guidance on buying a used GPU that was used for mining?
I have an offer for a GTX1080 that ran 6 months at 65% power limit, not sure what to make of it.

Check if the warranty is transferable and valid. That makes it an easy purchase if the price is right. Otherwise, if it was really ran at 65% power limit, it should be fine. Mining cards that are undervolted stay at a steady-state temp and don't undergo repeated bouts of thermal expansion and shrinkage, meaning they're surprisingly healthy. The worst case scenario is the fan dies early, but those can be replaced by yourself. Even that's unlikely within the next 3-5 years IMO.

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
So I have the possibility to buy an Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (TN, Gsync, 144hz) for €350. It seems like it's in good condition when checking the photo.

Is this a good deal or should I try to lower the price? Any know problems with this monitor that I have to look out for when I go check it out?

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
I've been contemplating doing a new build, but after having used GeForce Now for a while, I quite like the idea of cloud gaming. Apparently, Shadow Tech is supposed to be pretty decent. Does anyone have any experience with this service?

drastic

Oct 25, 2017
So all of my parts are due in today, hopefully will have time to assemble this evening. Unfortunately I wasn't able to cancel my 1070 order to go with the 1080 deal, so I'll probably just use it a while and offer it up here when I'm ready for a new 11 series card.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else really freaked out by this?

IF%20Power%202990WX_575px.png

The infinity fabric is just sucking down juice even in low load situations. It takes 10 threads before the cores take up more power than the freaking interconnect.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

The infinity fabric is just sucking down juice even in low load situations. It takes 10 threads before the cores take up more power than the freaking interconnect.

Yeah, the 2990WX and probably 2970WX are looking like very niche market stuff. Anything that is memory-intensive runs barely above (or in some cases, on-par or even below) the 2950X. The power needed just to maintain the chips on idle due to the interconnect between the two CCXs that don't have direct memory access is crazy high, literally more than running most consumer-level chips on idle.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
The ones now sold through SFF LAB? Yeah pretty expensive considering that they come pretty bare bones (pcie risers are extra?) while things like the InWin A1 comes with a power supply. But Products made in small volumes can't compete in price with mainstream brands.
Dr. Zaber are doing a new version of their case, but who knows when that will be available.

Maybe some idiot like me will upgrade,from an older revision? I adore the case.

Also, I found the new thread. Not losing me that easy people.

I just ordered a zs-a4dc (3.9L) from superbuy.
I'm scared. It's tiny.
EUiHLz5.jpg

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017

If you're buying the 2990WX though I don't think it really matters. Presumably you're buying it because you're a professional and the savings in time more than offsets the extra CPU costs, including power consumption. But yeah, you don't want to be using this to just fart around on your desktop.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the 2990WX and probably 2970WX are looking like very niche market stuff. Anything that is memory-intensive runs barely above (or in some cases, on-par or even below) the 2950X. The power needed just to maintain the chips on idle due to the interconnect between the two CCXs that don't have direct memory access is crazy high, literally more than running most consumer-level chips on idle.

The memory access shouldn't be too bad, the CCX interconnect is good for full dual channel bandwidth between each die. The main problem seems to be L3 cache bandwidth between CCXs. It's limited to dual channel speed of the DDR4 IMC while the Intel mesh runs at the full L3 cache speed. But then Intel is still ridiculously expensive compared to AMD because they know they have ST performance in the bag and if you don't respect CCX affinity performance plummets. I'm not looking forward to a $499 i9-9900K knowing the 2700X is so cheap down at $330.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
The memory access shouldn't be too bad, the CCX interconnect is good for full dual channel bandwidth between each die. The main problem seems to be L3 cache bandwidth between CCXs. It's limited to dual channel speed of the DDR4 IMC while the Intel mesh runs at the full L3 cache speed. But then Intel is still ridiculously expensive compared to AMD because they know they have ST performance in the bag and if you don't respect CCX affinity performance plummets. I'm not looking forward to a $499 i9-9900K knowing the 2700X is so cheap down at $330.
I think the rumors (maybe based on nothing?) place the 9900k around $450. I think at that price I'd replace my 6700k.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered a zs-a4dc (3.9L) from superbuy.
I'm scared. It's tiny.

While that's awesome, I'd be sad to lose my full GPU.

Regardless, that'll be a fun build. Fond memories from my SFF build and I still smile when I see it sitting next to my Xbox and PS4.

That being said, I'm really not looking forward to the i9-9900K release b/c it'll go in my main rig and I'll "slide" my i7-8086K into the SFF, and by slide I mean tear the whole thing apart because my HSF mounts from under the motherboard.

On another note, I've officially abandoned the dream of buying the discounted 1950X. By the time I'm done it'll be $2000 and it's a want, not a need. I had RAM, case, PSU ready to go already but they got used in my kids' recent build. I mean hell, at that point I might as well spend 10% more and buy the 2950X.

Last edited:

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm barely hanging on with my 4670K. I almost jumped at the 8086K because of the novelty of it but I wanted to wait for Intel's 8/16.
That would be a really nice upgrade for you. Mine I can maybe justify because I have a couple family members that would benefit from a more modern CPU.. the old hand-me-down justification for new tech, right? lol

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
That would be a really nice upgrade for you. Mine I can maybe justify because I have a couple family members that would benefit from a more modern CPU.. the old hand-me-down justification for new tech, right? lol

I've been trying to convince my wife to let me upgrade her office-use PC for literally no reason... my wife leaves town this weekend to visit family, and I'm now sitting looking at her i3-3220 and I've got like two extra cases, a dozen fans, maybe half-dozen storage drives, two extra PSUs, a 1920X Threadripper, and like 64 GB of RAM spread across six DIMMs and I have no idea what I'm doing with my life or what will happen to her PC and/or my PC by the time she gets back.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

That family thing.. I now have a 3570K system (sans GPU) that I don't know what to do with. It's fallen off the last close family member's use b/c of a recent upgrade cycle. Not worth much but I hate to recycle it.

I've been trying to convince my wife to let me upgrade her office-use PC for literally no reason... my wife leaves town this weekend to visit family, and I'm now sitting looking at her i3-3220 and I've got like two extra cases, a dozen fans, maybe half-dozen storage drives, two extra PSUs, a 1920X Threadripper, and like 64 GB of RAM spread across six DIMMs and I have no idea what I'm doing with my life or what will happen to her PC and/or my PC by the time she gets back.

That sounds like a fun weekend. I recently injured my back, so for the foreseeable future I'll be wearing a back brace when working on PC's and I'm not supposed to hunch over as one often does when installing components... but I still have the itch.

The injury opens new interests though, so just bought a uber office chair and am shopping for the desks that convert from sitting to standing, and trying to figure out if one of these https://www.relaxtheback.com/ergotron-l35-desk.html could possibly work with my 34" monitor and a VESA mount, or if I need to go all-in with the new desk. It's amazing how pain opens the wallet.

If I can't make that monitor situation work I am also considering gifting my monitor to the wife for work purposes. She does huge spreadsheets and it would make life good for her.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
So I'm doing a full refresh whenever the next nvidia card launches since I have a pretty old cpu(i53570K) and I want to reach 4k and/or steadier framerates in cpu heavy games like MHW more regularly. I don't really know much about tech so should I get gddr4 ram? Will there be a better cpu than the high end one listed in the OP or something coming soon that I should wait on that front since I had the last one for 6 years? Thanks!

Also thanks to Smokey for the hot 980ti deal when I bought his a few years back on gaf lol.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
That family thing.. I now have a 3570K system (sans GPU) that I don't know what to do with. It's fallen off the last close family member's use b/c of a recent upgrade cycle.

That sounds like a fun weekend. I recently injured my back, so for the foreseeable future I'll be wearing a back brace when working on PC's and I'm not supposed to hunch over as one often does when installing components... but I still have the itch.

The injury opens new interests though, so just bought a uber office chair and am shopping for the desks that convert from sitting to standing, and trying to figure out if one of these https://www.relaxtheback.com/ergotron-l35-desk.html could possibly work with my 34" monitor and a VESA mount, or if I need to go all-in with the new desk. It's amazing how pain opens the wallet.

If I can't make that monitor situation work I am also considering gifting my monitor to the wife for work purposes. She does huge spreadsheets and it would make life good for her.

Yo, if you end up pulling up a lot of info about chairs/desks and want to format it into something for the OP (even in the form of a Google Doc), it'd be a great addition. We have very little info on chairs/keyboards/mice/monitors/desks and I'd like to fill it in at some point. Just a thought if you have time and are interested, but no pressure! Hope your injury heals quickly, and good luck with the desk shopping.

So I'm doing a full refresh whenever the next nvidia card launches since I have a pretty old cpu(i53570K) and I want to reach 4k and/or steadier framerates in cpu heavy games like MHW more regularly. I don't really know much about tech so should I get gddr4 ram? Will there be a better cpu than the high end one listed in the OP or something coming soon that I should wait on that front since I had the last one for 6 years? Thanks!

Also thanks to Smokey for the hot 980ti deal when I bought his a few years back on gaf lol.

Modern CPUs/motherboards require DDR4 RAM, so you'll have to buy that if you're building a completely new system. "G"DDR is only for graphics cards, and anything you buy for 4K gaming will have the best available, so don't worry about that.

New Nvidia cards launch starting in roughly a month (rumored) and will continue to release over the next couple of months (they're rolling them out one or two at a time for the next gen). There may be new Intel CPUs within the next two months, too, and they're definitely worth waiting for if you're gonna wait until Nvidia launches their new GPUs anyway. Normally I don't advise people to wait for new builds, but if you want to hold onto it for as long as six years, it's worth waiting a month or two more for Intel's release, IMO. Keep in mind there are no set release dates, so this is all a rumor for now, but I'm pretty confident we'll be getting the new CPUs by the end of October.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, if you end up pulling up a lot of info about chairs/desks and want to format it into something for the OP (even in the form of a Google Doc), it'd be a great addition. We have very little info on chairs/keyboards/mice/monitors/desks and I'd like to fill it in at some point. Just a thought if you have time and are interested, but no pressure! Hope your injury heals quickly, and good luck with the desk shopping.

Thanks for the consideration. With pain and disability as a motivator, my shopping will probably be colored by the money is no object perspective, so I don't think my research will be useful. I'll give it a bit of thought though.

Also appreciate the well wishes. The whole thing started in Feb/March and I'm doing what I can trying to avoid the knife, but consulting with surgeons and such just in case. Take care of your backs kids. Most of mine was there from a young (20's) age, just waiting for father time to bring it to the forefront.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
My new (old) mobo should arrive today at which point I can rebuild the PC and hopefully that's all that got broken during the move.

Then it's a matter of time to see if the movers pay me out for the PC. If that's the case papa is gonna wait for the new NVIDIA / INTEL stuff and go SFF. The NCASE M1 looks might nice to me...

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Thanks a million, I was relying on vague memories of people asking if they should upgrade their mb for ddr4 ram years ago lol. And the g is self explanatory so not sure why I added that on.

Don't mind waiting at all as whats a few months at this point.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

Well the GPUs get handed down at the moment. I have a 1080Ti and the wife has my old 980Ti. I didn't want to rebuild three machines (mine, hers, guest) so I ended up building her a new 8700K at the start of the year. I'll pick up my 9900K this year and then we'll get into a hand me down cadence on the CPU side. I'll pick up whatever is state of the art in 2020 and the wife can have the 9900K.

Oct 29, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI9sMfWmCsk

Benchmarks for the 32C/64T Threadripper 2990WX are out! It's really NOT a gaming CPU, but it's fun to see what a big chip like this can do. I won't spoil the results, but I was quite surprised by a lot of the non-gaming benchmarks.
Been watching so many of these tech YouTubers lately, I find it interesting seeing who got send a 2990WX, and who got the 2950X. Seems like mostly only written publications go both.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Been watching so many of these tech YouTubers lately, I find it interesting seeing who got send a 2990WX, and who got the 2950X. Seems like mostly only written publications go both.

It is pretty interesting seeing the differences. I'd love to know how AMD made the decision.

Hrm after reading a few, that 1950X looks pretty good. I was perhaps hoping for too much from the 2950X.

So I bought a 1920X (used) for ~$270 a week or so ago. I was a little concerned that the 2920X would blow it out of the water, but it really seems like it's only a 3-5% improvement at most, which makes me really feeling good about my purchase. I'd say the same could be said for 1950X owners seeing the new 2950X.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
So I've been considering upgrading my 2500K from 2012 for the past few weeks, been eyeing the i5 8400 which seems like the best processor for gaming at the moment but I wanted to ask if perhaps there was something better coming on the horizon?

Currently I can only get as high as 74hz but in the future I might make the jump to a 100hz or even a 144hz panel, should I be considering a 8600k or even a 8700k instead?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I've added a section at the top of the OP to include rumored/potential release dates for major hardware lines, such as Nvidia's new GPUs and Intel's new CPUs. It's all estimates/rumors, but I don't think it's unreasonable to include it as a rough estimate. Let me know if anyone thinks this is a particularly bad idea and I'll remove it.

So I've been considering upgrading my 2500K from 2012 for the past few weeks, been eyeing the i5 8400 which seems like the best processor for gaming at the moment but I wanted to ask if perhaps there was something better coming on the horizon?

Currently I can only get as high as 74hz but in the future I might make the jump to a 100hz or even a 144hz panel, should I be considering a 8600k or even a 8700k instead?

A new line-up of Intel CPUs are rumored to release later this year, possibly in October. If you plan to keep your PC for six years, it might be worth waiting to grab whatever comes out there. If you plan on 144 Hz and plan to keep the system for 6+ years, I'd maybe suggest you go for the 8700k. It's overkill right now for 60-70 Hz gaming, but I think the extra threads (it's a 6C/12T CPU) will be beneficial down the road.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Is the RX 580 going to decrease further in price than it currently is?

It finally returned to somewhat to MRSP here in Canada (~$349) since the crypto-currency boom has subsided a bit.

RX Vega 56 is another card I was looking at, but that one is currently ~$630, which is a steep increase from the 580.

I'm only gonna be gaming in 1080p, so currently leaning towards the 580.

Either one would be a substantial updrage over my R9 280x, lol

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I regret going with a m-ATX case/motherboard over ITX ones.
I really don't do anything too intensive with my PC (don't game past 1080p, and rarely play anything so graphically advanced that it taxes the system), I have a low profile CPU heatsink, and even bought a mini itx GPU.

The only reason I didn't go ITX was that I had just bought a full-sized power supply and didn't want to spend money on a new one so soon, and I also got a little spooked about airflow (but I doubt that would have been a big issue).

Even though I do like my mATX case and how quick it is, I see pics of small ITX ones and I can't help but get really jealous.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Soda , what do you do for a living that allows you to build so many PCs? Do you make YouTube videos?

I'm a full-time scientist (infectious disease research), but I have a YouTube channel (gaming-related with the rare PC video) that I do for fun as a hobby. The money I make from that generally goes towards upgrading my setup. Truthfully, most of my builds these days are cheap, like ~$100. I made a big post about benchmarking my $93 PC (https://imgur.com/a/SVHxn) a while back which I really enjoyed. Most recently, I am working on taking my wife's mITX PC I built her in 2012 and down-sizing it to a smaller mITX case (it's in a Cooler Master Elite 120 right now, moving to an Antec ISK-310 because I found one for super cheap). I'm also in the process of upgrading my Ryzen 1700 system to a TR 1920X, but that's basically for YouTube purposes (and work-related; I do a decent amount of stuff related to large DNA sequence files and having a decent system for that means I can rely less on our lab's PCs or the university's servers).

But, to be totally honest, I don't build that many PCs. I've honestly built fewer than 10 complete builds in my life, but that's mostly due to 1) time limitations, 2) money limitations, and 3) don't have a need for tons of computers. So, I live vicariously through learning about PCs and trying to pass on (my admittedly not-perfect) knowledge to others.

Oct 29, 2017
Is the RX 580 going to decrease further in price than it currently is?

It finally returned to somewhat to MRSP here in Canada (~$349) since the crypto-currency boom has subsided a bit.

RX Vega 56 is another card I was looking at, but that one is currently ~$630, which is a steep increase from the 580.

I'm only gonna be gaming in 1080p, so currently leaning towards the 580.

Either one would be a substantial updrage over my R9 280x, lol
I would bet that if the GTX1060 drops in price after the new nvidia cards, even if not officially but just by stores reacting to demand, then the Rx580 will make sure to stay lower.
Vega 56 still kind of exists on its own unpredictable realm in terms of price for me.

Panthapanda

Dec 13, 2017
Can anybody recommend me a toolkit? Apparently I can't take off my cpu fan because my screwdriver is too short lol.

I'd just like something that'll be useful down the road when I build my next pc

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Can anybody recommend me a toolkit? Apparently I can't take off my cpu fan because my screwdriver is too short lol.

I'd just like something that'll be useful down the road when I build my next pc

I have a very basic six-piece screwdriver set from ACE Hardware, but I can't seem to find it online. However, IFixIt is the go-to from what I've seen. They've got a bunch of kits, but one of their more basic ones is probably good enough.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Toolkits

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm planning a cooling upgrade from a stock Ryzen cooler to an AIO cooler (MasterLiquid 240 lite RGB) and the case I have is the Fractal Design Focus G. My plan is to mount the radiator + fans on the front of the case. Should I be worried about clearance for, say, my GPU, or the enclosure for the hard drives?

I can't find the internal dimensions of my case, but the radiator + fans together take up roughly 52mm of space. Will that fit in my case?

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How long do you guys go before building/upgrading a pc?

I just built a pc last year (i5 6600k, 1060 6gb, 16gb) and I was thinking of upgrading the graphics card with the new gen that's coming out soon. Or would upgrading my cpu be more relevant for gaming.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking for a mini itx case. Focusing on small size but needs to fit a discrete gpu. It can be a half width 2 slot if need be.

I've been planning on getting the fractal node 202, and I might -- but I feel like it's still needlessly big. There are some cool boutique cases but I'm not trying to spend $300 on a case.
Anything else out there?

I have the node 202 right now. I know you said that it was big but in case you wanted to know how it felt like irl it can fit into my backpack and even with my build in it it's pretty nice. I recommend it if you decide to go that route.

If not, maybe the case for this is up your alley?
https://tekeverything.com/8700k-1080-mini-itx-build/

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lazer3d-lz7-mini-itx-case-configurator-online-only-ca-02v-lz.html

Really expensive though.

Oct 29, 2017
So, I'm planning a cooling upgrade from a stock Ryzen cooler to an AIO cooler (MasterLiquid 240 lite RGB) and the case I have is the Fractal Design Focus G. My plan is to mount the radiator + fans on the front of the case. Should I be worried about clearance for, say, my GPU, or the enclosure for the hard drives?

I can't find the internal dimensions of my case, but the radiator + fans together take up roughly 52mm of space. Will that fit in my case?
Not the the GPU from what I can see (are there even any cards longer than 30cm anymore?), but seems like there isn't room for push+pull (at least at the bottom) because of the drive cage. You'll have to replace the front fans with the cooler's and have only push.

seems to be about 50mm between the front and the cage default position
S20NNn4.png

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Not the the GPU from what I can see (are there even any cards longer than 30cm anymore?), but seems like there isn't room for push+pull (at least at the bottom) because of the drive cage. You'll have to replace the front fans with the cooler's and have only push.

seems to be about 50mm between the front and the cage default position
S20NNn4.png
Could you explain what you mean by Push + Pull? My plan was to set up the 240mm radiator with fans at the front, pulling air in (replacing the existing case fans, of course). Are you telling me that it won't fit that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.