• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Simultaneous multithreading, i.e. more than one thread per core. The 9700k has 8 cores 8 threads, the 3700/800x has 8 cores 16 threads. It's a big improvement in performance in productivity applications, but games are already taking advantage of 16 threads today, and it will definitely be more important when next gen consoles will be 8c16t on the exact same architecture.
You can take today's games' results that push cpus to their limit using a gpu you'll never realistically own as gospel, but in my opinion it's short-sighted.

Thank you! I had all setup and...black screen, no signal...

I get light on the motherboard, the CPU spin is working, RAM is with led....GPU with led...

But...no signal. I have to flashback the bios again with the one at reddit ? Do you know if I can do flashback without disassembling all again ? Thank you !
How long are you waiting? Is it rebooting over and over? You should let it power cycle for a while if you managed to flash the bios. If it definitely doesn't post after some time, then yes, try the newer bios.

Also, in theory, you can use flashback with everything mounted, it's supposed to work independently. But did you read that part about the reset switch? It's suped weird but it's worth trying if it's not booting.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have much experience with smaller form factor cases? I want to build a PC for my living room. Things I'm looking for:

Looks nice
Relatively comfortable to build in (I expect some headaches)
Quieter than a PS4 Pro
Can fit and keep cool pretty powerful hardware (2070 Super at least).

I've been looking at case reviews for a few days trying to get an idea of what I want. Figure I'll either have to go with a blower style GPU cooler or a hybrid cooler with a 120mm rad, as the GPUs that exhaust hot air into a small case probably isn't a good idea?

Anyone have some experience with this and has some recommendations?

Check this guide out: http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/build-pc-living-room-gaming-steam-machine. Might give you some ideas.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I'm planning to replace my old cpu cooler, the venerable Noctua NH-D14 with a closed loop. Budget is $150 max. What are the best ones in this price bracket? I favour cooling performance over RGB, if that can help.

Hey all, any recommendation regarding this? Not that I want to shovel this in anyone's throat, it's just that I'm planning to do the purchase sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Ultimate Living Room Gaming PC ($1850)

WTF, lol. I don't think you need a $500 CPU for 4K gaming. My main PC gets by just fine with a much cheaper CPU. I snagged a 1TB NVME drive yesterday for $100 so I'll probably use that. So that's $100 less there. I also don't think a GPU that exhausts heat into the case is a good fit for a SFF PC.

I probably won't lock it down to just Steam considering I have games from other stores, but... it will mostly be for steam.

Presice

Mar 1, 2018
Anyone have much experience with smaller form factor cases? I want to build a PC for my living room. Things I'm looking for:

Looks nice
Relatively comfortable to build in (I expect some headaches)
Quieter than a PS4 Pro
Can fit and keep cool pretty powerful hardware (2070 Super at least).

I've been looking at case reviews for a few days trying to get an idea of what I want. Figure I'll either have to go with a blower style GPU cooler or a hybrid cooler with a 120mm rad, as the GPUs that exhaust hot air into a small case probably isn't a good idea?

Anyone have some experience with this and has some recommendations?

I'm looking into small form factor too. The cases I found that seem to be very small and high quality are the Dan case A4 and the Loque Ghost. Both are difficult to find in stock as production level has not met demand. The Ncase m1 is also a good option. If you're on a budget, there is a case from cougar that's around $50 that is not too much bigger than the ones I mentioned above. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc and smallformfactor.net for more info.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Simultaneous multithreading, i.e. more than one thread per core. The 9700k has 8 cores 8 threads, the 3700/800x has 8 cores 16 threads. It's a big improvement in performance in productivity applications, but games are already taking advantage of 16 threads today, and it will definitely be more important when next gen consoles will be 8c16t on the exact same architecture.
You can take today's games' results that push cpus to their limit using a gpu you'll never realistically own as gospel, but in my opinion it's short-sighted.
My question is, given what type of gamer I am, will that really matter to someone like me? Like, I'm perfectly content gaming at 60 fps at 1440p. Are you saying whatever games come down the line won't let me do that with a 9700k?

SMT is Simultaneous Multi-Threading. It's AMD's version of Intel's Hyper-threading, aka, some CPUs have 4 physical processing cores with the ability to split the workload in a way that the PC will actually run the system with 8 logical processing cores. Most modern CPUs have hyperthreading/SMT. The 9700K is honestly a very powerful gaming 8-core/8-thread CPU right now, but the other poster is arguing that in a few years, you'll regret not having a processor with 6-core/12-thread or 8-core/16-thread.

Personally, I'm not sure I agree with that. Logical cores (hyper-threading/SMT) only add about 30% of the performance in most tasks compared to a physical core. So, I think there's a reasonable argument for getting an 8C/8T CPU over a 6C/12T CPU, depending on use-case.

Yeah, I'm just not sure I need what multi-threading is promising. Idk, I can be convinced otherwise but damn is this setup looking appealing rn.

Oct 28, 2017
The Ultimate Living Room Gaming PC ($1850)

WTF, lol. I don't think you need a $500 CPU for 4K gaming. My main PC gets by just fine with a much cheaper CPU. I snagged a 1TB NVME drive yesterday for $100 so I'll probably use that. So that's $100 less there. I also don't think a GPU that exhausts heat into the case is a good fit for a SFF PC.

I probably won't lock it down to just Steam considering I have games from other stores, but... it will mostly be for steam.

I just mean it has cases and general build considerations if you want to go ultra-slim on the build. You can obviously change up the internals depending on your objectives, and its not so bad to have a non-blower card as long as your case ventilation is good.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017

How long are you waiting? Is it rebooting over and over? You should let it power cycle for a while if you managed to flash the bios. If it definitely doesn't post after some time, then yes, try the newer bios.

Also, in theory, you can use flashback with everything mounted, it's supposed to work independently. But did you read that part about the reset switch? It's suped weird but it's worth trying if it's not booting.

It don't reboot, it's just "on", like if it was working but no signal...I waited fro 5-6 minutes.

I removed the battery, waited 10 minutes, downloaded the BIOS from reddit and now im flashing the bios again. I hope it works! Now is taking more time to flash...

If don't work...meh. I dunno what else could be.

Btw the USB is like they are not working... I connect my keyboard and the keyboard does a flash of the RGB but then turns off....

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here using a 3700x/x570 with zero issues so far? About to pull the trigger, but all these compatibility/voltage issues are giving me a little pause.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Finally it's working. I have signal on the screen and says the processor. Mmmm now I think it's turn for Windows 10

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
My question is, given what type of gamer I am, will that really matter to someone like me? Like, I'm perfectly content gaming at 60 fps at 1440p. Are you saying whatever games come down the line won't let me do that with a 9700k?
It's up to you, considering your setup you're not the kind of person to upgrade your PC every 2 years, so a bit of future-proofing should be taken into consideration. People were saying the same about the 7600k vs the 1600, "4 threads is enough for gaming", "Look, it's still faster than a 6 core 12 thread, what's the point?". Fast-forward 2 years and now it's the 1600 that's faster and the 7600k struggles, simply because games eventually started using those extra resources.
Nobody knows how games will evolve in the next few years, the only thing that's known is that the next consoles will use an 8c16t Zen 2 cpu.

Finally it's working. I have signal on the screen and says the processor. Mmmm now I think it's turn for Windows 10
That's nice. So the new bios fixed "something".

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
It's here!

TTApXQa_d.jpg

Wasn't expecting it to be this much smaller than the 390 it's replacing but I suppose that the version of the card I have is huge.

8GZ3rFl_d.jpg

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's up to you, considering your setup you're not the kind of person to upgrade your PC every 2 years, so a bit of future-proofing should be taken into consideration. People were saying the same about the 7600k vs the 1600, "4 threads is enough for gaming", "Look, it's still faster than a 6 core 12 thread, what's the point?". Fast-forward 2 years and now it's the 1600 that's faster and the 7600k struggles, simply because games eventually started using those extra resources.
Nobody knows how games will evolve in the next few years, the only thing that's known is that the next consoles will use an 8c16t Zen 2 cpu.

That's nice. So the new bios fixed "something".
Shit. I'm torn. Truth is I game more on console and only occasionally get a graphics-intensive game for PC. I can see your point on future-proofing, though. It's usually what I do with tech stuff. sigh

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Toss me on the pile of people recommending at LEAST 8 cores and 16 threads if you care at all about the future. I would not buy without SMT/Hyperthreading these days. Its very clearly on its way out. Give yourself that little bit of headroom. You won't regret it.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really wish there were some new high end gaming monitors being released soon. I've been using my Predator X34 for like 4 years now and would like something even bigger and better.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Okay so the nvidia GPU + 3900x issue is no just a gaming issue. Just using notepad++ and suddenly my screen stopped updating in most of the screen, then I tried start menu, and ctrl+alt+delete, and I couldn't get to a way to shut down so I had to hold the button.

If this is replacing your current rig, I would hold off. Fortunately, I have most of my old rig with my old GTX 980, so I just swapped it out so I can work.

With the AMD BIOS general issues, it's obvious AMD was on an accelerated schedule and cut corners. If they cut corners for AMD CPU + GPU, then obviously they didn't do much with nVidia GPU + AMD CPU. I'm curious why the bug isn't as widespread in reviews, there must be some configurations that are immune for whatever reason.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Toss me on the pile of people recommending at LEAST 8 cores and 16 threads if you care at all about the future. I would not buy without SMT/Hyperthreading these days. Its very clearly on its way out. Give yourself that little bit of headroom. You won't regret it.
I guess I'm waiting then.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

Anecdotal, but I recently had Nidia driver crashes which I had never experienced prior to the last driver set or two. This is on a Threadripper system with a 1080 Ti. Not he same architecture as the X570/Ryzen 3000 systems, but just a funny coincidence.

It's here!

TTApXQa_d.jpg

Wasn't expecting it to be this much smaller than the 390 it's replacing but I suppose that the version of the card I have is huge.

8GZ3rFl_d.jpg

I recently bought and played with a Radeon R9 390X Tri-X and my god, that thing was massive. It made my 1080 Ti feel small.

I can see the argument, but in my entire career of PC building, I've more often regretted "future-proofing" than just buying what is great value at the time, then upgrading as/if needed in 2-3 years. Implying 8C/16T is a minimum, to me, is pushing things way too far. I understand that we're expecting the next-gen of consoles to be 8C/16T Zen 2, but there is zero chance that they will have the clock speeds of our desktop systems - the cost, and more importantly, the cooling needed - it's just not how past console generations have worked, and not what I'd expect going forward due to the needs of a compact and relatively cost-efficient system. So, my belief is that a fast 6C/12T desktop CPU (8700K, 3600, etc) would compete very favorably versus whatever 8C/16T is in the PS5, even accounting for the efficiencies of coding for a closed system versus an open (read: PC/Mac/Linux) platform.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Anecdotal, but I recently had Nidia driver crashes which I had never experienced prior to the last driver set or two. This is on a Threadripper system with a 1080 Ti. Not he same architecture as the X570/Ryzen 3000 systems, but just a funny coincidence.

I recently bought and played with a Radeon R9 390X Tri-X and my god, that thing was massive. It made my 1080 Ti feel small.

I can see the argument, but in my entire career of PC building, I've more often regretted "future-proofing" than just buying what is great value at the time, then upgrading as/if needed in 2-3 years. Implying 8C/16T is a minimum, to me, is pushing things way too far. I understand that we're expecting the next-gen of consoles to be 8C/16T Zen 2, but there is zero chance that they will have the clock speeds of our desktop systems - the cost, and more importantly, the cooling needed - it's just not how past console generations have worked, and not what I'd expect going forward due to the needs of a compact and relatively cost-efficient system. So, my belief is that a fast 6C/12T desktop CPU (8700K, 3600, etc) would compete very favorably versus whatever 8C/16T is in the PS5, even accounting for the efficiencies of coding for a closed system versus an open (read: PC/Mac/Linux) platform.
I agree somewhat. But ina. Different way. With Consoles targeting 60 FPS more often and finally having CPUs that rival PC in game performance o think we are going to all get hit with 360 era performance drops. In that with devs really pushing CPUs next gen it'll be harder to futureproof.

I find the first year of next gen tends to be quite bad for con ports in terms of optimization

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

It's pretty severe, likes games crash before making it through the title screen. Also I had a BSOD when remote desktoping to my working PC, and what I just posted in Notepad++.

Before I installed the AMD Chipset drivers I didn't have this problem.

If you hit it, event viewer for system will have tons of error entries about nvlddmkm.

Last edited:

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I also think that 6c12t will be fine for next gen, considering clocks and most likely some "locked" core/s, but 8c16t is probably ideal.
But if it's between SMT and non-SMT with pretty much identical gaming performance? I see no value in investing in the non-SMT option right now.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah because you and I both know thats exactly how AMD/Sony/MS deal with CPU's, just slap a 3700x in there /s Nevermind the fact we are talking about consoles launching over a year from now, not tomorrow.

Its all speculation at this point but the biggest conversation around next gen processors is we could likely see a downclocked 8c/16t CPU. If thats true, we expect next-gen only games to heavily utilise these cores and threads, something the 9700k may struggle with over time. That is not what I define as 'futureproofing'. You can say we don't know any of this for a fact and thats true, but its better to be safe than sorry. 3700x/3800x/9900k are what I would recommend.

I am not saying AMD is invalidating Intel. No one is saying that, even. But when someone requests future-proofing I do not think to recommend a 8c/8t CPU in the current market.
Great. Then you have your opinions and speculation and I have a fact. The 9700K is a better pure gaming processor than the 3700X.

You seem to have trouble keeping up with a series of two posts. Jag said he was getting something strictly for gaming. Hence the recommendation. That would be like someone else saying "I'm building a new PC to only be used as a workstation and am planning on getting a 9700K". Ok, well there are better processors suited for that job in the new Ryzens.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking into small form factor too. The cases I found that seem to be very small and high quality are the Dan case A4 and the Loque Ghost. Both are difficult to find in stock as production level has not met demand. The Ncase m1 is also a good option. If you're on a budget, there is a case from cougar that's around $50 that is not too much bigger than the ones I mentioned above. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc and smallformfactor.net for more info.
Thanks for those suggestions :)

I hadn't seen a review yet for the Loque Ghost or Ncase m1. I like them both, and they seem to support a 240mm AIO or a 120mm AIO for the CPU\GPU. So there are some options. I already have a spare NZXT X52 so it'd be be nice to get some use out of that.

I have seen the Dan Case, but I think that's a tad small for my comfort level.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Can I get some help? I'm really torn right now. I've gone all these years with a 3500k and it's been a tremendous value. I've never felt pushed to need an upgrade. I'm that type of gamer, I just like to stretch it. I'd be looking to stretch it through next-gen with my new build and am wondering what you guys think about my pick. I thought maybe AMD would be the way to go, but the more I look at these things, the more I realize I don't think I need these extra cores. I have zero use for the multimedia stuff. The most I'll tax my system is with games, Photoshop, and using a dual-screen setup.

With that in mind, do you guys think the 9700k would be the right call for me? It's what I was eyeing months ago before AMD's reveals. Now, with those reveals, my total build has gone down like 300 bucks and man I'd like to jump on that. I'm just curious if anyone thinks I won't be able to keep up as the new gen rolls on enough. I don't always need to play with everything on max. 1440p and a decent frame rate is good enough for me.
I'd go ahead and get it. Right now is a great time to build both Intel and AMD setups. Pretty sweet that CPUs, GPUs, RAM, and SSDs have all gone down in cost.

Don't pay much attention to the Ryzen fearmongering. That chip should last you for a solid 5-6 years.

Nov 14, 2017
So I'm making the switch back to mainly PC for Destiny 2 in September. Just wondering if anyone has any views on how a 4790k holds up today? I'm probably going to get a 5700XT to replace my 1060 6GB when the dual fan designs come out (can't stand blowers) and was wondering what to expect with regard to performance.

I'm aiming to play at 1440p at 100+ fps. I have a decent 1440p FreeSync monitor that works with Nvidia cards too, so that front is clear.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
The 9700K is a better pure gaming processor than the 3700X.
Is that the case if he's playing at 1440p/60fps with a mid-range gpu? Why would he get an objectively less capable product if it performs the same at the moment? 1080p benchmarks with a 2080Ti are useful only to a certain extent, but they're not exactly practical.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great. Then you have your opinions and speculation and I have a fact. The 9700K is a better pure gaming processor than the 3700X.

You seem to have trouble keeping up with a series of two posts. Jag said he was getting something strictly for gaming. Hence the recommendation. That would be like someone else saying "I'm building a new PC to only be used as a workstation and am planning on getting a 9700K". Ok, well there are better processors suited for that job in the new Ryzens.
I have no trouble, we just have different opinions on the matter. I would not recommend an 8c/8t CPU to someone who specifically said future proofing. The window between the 9700k and 3700x seriously shrinks as you move up resolution/frame rate.

Its honestly quite simple. You can look at the benchmarks and hail the 9700k the winner or you can think real use case scenarios and choose the 3700x. Your choice.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
i went into my BIOS and tried setting 1.35V but the cores were still going up to near 1.5V. there was another setting that let me set a lower or higher limit so i did +0.15V and the voltages went to 1.6V! i quickly turned the system off.

i managed to set my RAM properly but i have no idea how to deal with the CPU.

Did you follow that video I linked? I think the issue is there is a setting that is set to auto still that is not taking your manual voltage change in the Bios.

What board do you have again?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

Yeah, it was interesting when I got the entire 2060 retail box and it was actually smaller than the old card!

Overall I am seeing a big uptick in performance (it is great being able to dial up all the setting in Total War: Three Kingdoms) but also it is running significantly cooler. The temps are around the same as the 390 but I think the size of that card and it's heatsink was just storing / putting a lot of heat into my case. It is also quieter which is nice.

So I'm making the switch back to mainly PC for Destiny 2 in September. Just wondering if anyone has any views on how a 4790k holds up today? I'm probably going to get a 5700XT to replace my 1060 6GB when the dual fan designs come out (can't stand blowers) and was wondering what to expect with regard to performance.

I'm aiming to play at 1440p at 100+ fps. I have a decent 1440p FreeSync monitor that works with Nvidia cards too, so that front is clear.

I still don't think that generation of CPU's are bad. I am personally running a 4670k @ 4ghz which still handles things pretty well so I believe you will get decent performance (especially so if you have / plan to overclock). Don't get me wrong...I realise it is now the biggest bottleneck on my system and next in line for a replacement but I don't think for gaming it is crippled because of it.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Is that the case if he's playing at 1440p/60fps with a mid-range gpu? Why would he get an objectively less capable product if it performs the same at the moment? 1080p benchmarks with a 2080Ti are useful only to a certain extent, but they're not exactly practical.
Does being GPU bound last forever? nope. If you want to go by that kind of logic you might as well tell someone to get a 2600 or 2700x. But faster processors are faster

games are already taking advantage of 16 threads today
explain this, please.

no, the only thing that is known is that the next Playstation is going to have an 8-core cpu based on Zen 2 arcitecture.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Does being GPU bound last forever? nope. If you want to go by that kind of logic you might as well tell someone to get a 2600 or 2700x. But faster processors are faster

explain this, please.

no, the only thing that is known is that the next Playstation is going to have an 8-core cpu based on Zen 2 arcitecture.
This back and forth is killing me.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with you completely. There is no such thing as futureproofing in PCs. You buy the best parts that you can afford and try not to overspend on parts that are going to rapidly depreciate, or where the diminishing returns for more money spent is quite high.

We're going to be lucky if the next gen consoles are even able to 4k60fps at ~$500. This logic that seems to be running rampant these days where new consoles are going to obsolete PC builds using 2019 Intel parts is absurd.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
So, exactly, why should he buy the 9700k again? The kind of fps improvements you get on a 2080Ti level gpu are negligible assuming you'll get a comparable gpu in the future, so why not buy the cpu with more resources? The only use case left for an Intel cpu is needing Quick Sync, otherwise what's the point if the alternative has better value? At the end of the day, the defining factor is: do you care more about value or brand?

explain this, please.
What do I have to explain? Some games are using 16 threads, check some recent games on gamegpu, you can see the split between threads.

Nov 14, 2017
I still don't think that generation of CPU's are bad. I am personally running a 4670k @ 4ghz which still handles things pretty well so I believe you will get decent performance (especially so if you have / plan to overclock). Don't get me wrong...I realise it is now the biggest bottleneck on my system and next in line for a replacement but I don't think for gaming it is crippled because of it.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear😸

Basically, I'm hoping I can hold off a CPU upgrade until at least when the next gen consoles come out and it's clear what the baseline is going to be.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
So, exactly, why should he buy the 9700k again? The kind of fps improvements you get on a 2080Ti level gpu are negligible assuming you'll get a comparable gpu in the future, so why not buy the cpu with more resources? The only use case left for an Intel cpu is needing Quick Sync, otherwise what's the point if the alternative has better value? At the end of the day, the defining factor is: do you care more about value or brand?

What do I have to explain? Some games are using 16 threads, check some recent games on gamegpu, you can see the split between threads.
This conversation is pointless. You would buy AMD Ryzen 3000 under any scenario and I would consider both Intel and AMD options depending on my use case.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I've never owned a mac but it doesn't seem super hard by reading here.

It didn't worked. Im booting up with the USB but it comes back to the BIOS...or it says Insert a CD or DVD. The BIOS finds my samsung evo NVMe...so I think it's the bootable USB not working bc I made it with MAC OS. I'm installing W10 on my macbook to do it.... ughh it's taking so long setting up my new PC (but it's kinda fun)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This conversation is pointless. You would buy AMD Ryzen 3000 under any scenario and I would consider both Intel and AMD options depending on my use case.
My use case is simple, as I laid out before. I can't tell if Prelude is basically saying games I'd play on a 9700k a few years from now would run kinda shitty, or that I wouldn't be as to play at 4k with all effects turned on or whatever.

IDK I keep going back and forth on this. I don't know what year both of you would have considered my 3500k obsolete but here it is still kicking just fine, overall. Hard to tell where I should land. The choice is between a 9700k now, or an AMD or Intel purchase sometime after consoles release. That's where I'm at. Appreciate the banter tho.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
What I gather from watching youtube comparisons: about 3ish fps increase for each of those speed bumps, give or take. Depends on the game etc, but after 3000 MHZ the gains seem to slow down. At least that was my impression when I looked the 2000 Ryzens. Someone else feel free to correct me if I got it wrong though

I see. Thanks for replying.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
It's pretty severe, likes games crash before making it through the title screen. Also I had a BSOD when remote desktoping to my working PC, and what I just posted in Notepad++.

Before I installed the AMD Chipset drivers I didn't have this problem.

If you hit it, event viewer for system will have tons of error entries about nvlddmkm.

nvlddmkm is the exact error I've gotten on my BSODs I believe. Not home to double check. But I did everything shy of reinstalling Windows to resolve the issue. This is on my X399/TR2950X system though, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia rolled out some rough drivers recently.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently both the NCase M1 and the Loque Ghost are just impossible to get a hold of. God damn, this is going to be a very long project...

Time to search for viable alternatives in the meantime.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
If you're the type to keep your rig for a very long time, I'd probably lean towards a 8c/16t processor if I'm buying today. A 9700k isn't trash by any means though.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
It's here!

TTApXQa_d.jpg

8GZ3rFl_d.jpg

I love Zotac's Mini cards. I'm going to be building something for a friend and I want to do a custom loop with a Zotac 2070 OC Mini. A company called Byksy has a full coverage block for it. That with a 3700X in a mATX case would be an amazing, tiny water-cooled gaming PC.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
My use case is simple, as I laid out before. I can't tell if Prelude is basically saying games I'd play on a 9700k a few years from now would run kinda shitty, or that I wouldn't be as to play at 4k with all effects turned on or whatever.

IDK I keep going back and forth on this. I don't know what year both of you would have considered my 3500k obsolete but here it is still kicking just fine, overall. Hard to tell where I should land. The choice is between a 9700k now, or an AMD or Intel purchase sometime after consoles release. That's where I'm at. Appreciate the banter tho.
I can tell you that I'm where you're at, and I'm considering getting the 9900K because it's the best gaming processor and because it still has 16 threads with hyperthreading. Outside of needing beefy cooling, it's as futureproof as you can get for gaming on July 17, 2019. My target price is $400 and we're almost there.
I'm looking forward to the 9900KS dropping (the new upcoming binned 9900K chips) and the prices continuing to fall on the current ones. Then I will probably try to pick up an earlier boxed version of the 9900K before all the new chips off the production line are picked through and the best binned ones are branded 'KS', and hope that I win the silicon lottery.

The 9700K gives the best gaming performance you can get for $329.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you that I'm where you're at, and I'm considering getting the 9900K because it's the best gaming processor and because it still has 16 threads with hyperthreading. Outside of needing beefy cooling, it's as futureproof as you can get for gaming on July 17, 2019. My target price is $400 and we're almost there.
I'm looking forward to the 9900KS dropping (the new upcoming binned 9900K chips) and the prices continuing to fall on the current ones. Then I will probably try to pick up an earlier boxed version of the 9900K before all the new chips off the production line are picked through and the best binned ones are branded 'KS', and hope that I win the silicon lottery.

The 9700K gives the best gaming performance you can get for $329.
Yeah, I definitely am not the type to want to mess with anything extra as far as cooling. Man...tough choice.

rybrad

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask since it is not technically PC hardware but I'm looking at getting a new gaming monitor. Would prefer 1440p, 120hz+, IPS and Gsync-compatible (not Gsync only). Is there anything good in the $500 and under range that someone could recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.