• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Did you follow that video I linked? I think the issue is there is a setting that is set to auto still that is not taking your manual voltage change in the Bios.

What board do you have again?
I tried. I set the vcore, the soc was at 1.2, and I can't see the other one.

It's the aorus master.

I just tried running memtest. It ran for about 4 hours and my system rebooted. I checked the log and it got as far as pass 3 (of 4) test 8 with 0 errors. I really don't think it's the RAM. I'm going to set up my old system and test the RAM on that.

Should I get my CPU and/or motherboard replaced if it's not the RAM?

Last edited:

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I can tell you that I'm where you're at, and I'm considering getting the 9900K because it's the best gaming processor and because it still has 16 threads with hyperthreading. Outside of needing beefy cooling, it's as futureproof as you can get for gaming on July 17, 2019. My target price is $400 and we're almost there.
I'm looking forward to the 9900KS dropping (the new upcoming binned 9900K chips) and the prices continuing to fall on the current ones. Then I will probably try to pick up an earlier boxed version of the 9900K before all the new chips off the production line are picked through and the best binned ones are branded 'KS', and hope that I win the silicon lottery.

The 9700K gives the best gaming performance you can get for $329.
I'd buy the 9700k if it gets down to $329 online (don't have a microcenter nearby)... probably unnecessary (on a 6700k @ 4.5ghz, 2070, 1440p/144hz), but it's very tempting.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
After a long road...finally I got all setup. This is the second build I do, since 2013 lol

The only thing not new is the 1070 G1, which I plan to change for 5700 XT custom or RTX 2070 Super if I see good offer.

08Ps57N.jpg

Im waiting for the kraken x62 this weekend so I will change the AMD stock cooler.

Setup:

- Ryzen 3600X
- B450 Tomahawk
- 16gb G Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
- be Quiet Plus gold 700W
- NZXT 500i
- Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500Gb
- GTX 1070 G1

Btw....temperature of Ryzen 3600X is high..., about 50-60 IDLE. Maybe I should change things...anyone know how to reduce the temps ?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
nvlddmkm is the exact error I've gotten on my BSODs I believe. Not home to double check. But I did everything shy of reinstalling Windows to resolve the issue. This is on my X399/TR2950X system though, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia rolled out some rough drivers recently.

lol, if I have more free time and they don't patch it, I may try nuking the driver and installing an old one.

Given what you're seeing, and that the latest driver release is super series support, it may be a broader issue. I think there's also still AMD chipset issues but maybe they are limited in scope.

edit: Nevermind, doesn't fix it. Although side note the game crashes a bit later, and instead of error about nvlddmkm it's a warning about this:
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.".

Last edited:

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I'd buy the 9700k if it gets down to $329 online (don't have a microcenter nearby)... probably unnecessary (on a 6700k @ 4.5ghz, 2070, 1440p/144hz), but it's very tempting.
yeah the new pricing is very attractive! I hope that it falls somewhere else for you.

Btw....temperature of Ryzen 3600X is high..., about 50-60 IDLE. Maybe I should change things...anyone know how to reduce the temps ?
Well the case that you're using along with the stock cooler certainly doesn't help. The H500 is a negative airflow case. I'd use something that breathes better like perhaps the H700 and a better cooler.

The 3600x shouldn't need fancy cooling or anything. But that's why your rig is running hot. The low-end mobo might have something to do with system temperatures too. But the H500 values aesthetics over cooling. I like the case too. It's one of my favorites to build inside. But in the realm of comparative temperatures it runs about as warm as they get. It's basically all enclosed with just a little bit of intake venting on the right front edge and through the bottom. It might help to get a couple of better 120mm fans to suck the hot air out the back and top.

Last edited:

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
My use case is simple, as I laid out before. I can't tell if Prelude is basically saying games I'd play on a 9700k a few years from now would run kinda shitty, or that I wouldn't be as to play at 4k with all effects turned on or whatever.

IDK I keep going back and forth on this. I don't know what year both of you would have considered my 3500k obsolete but here it is still kicking just fine, overall. Hard to tell where I should land. The choice is between a 9700k now, or an AMD or Intel purchase sometime after consoles release. That's where I'm at. Appreciate the banter tho.
If you think games running at 190 fps instead of 180 at 1080p on a 2080Ti in 2019 validates your purchase, then go for it.
What I'm saying is that this stuff already happened and the people that got convinced into thinking they didn't need SMT are regretting their purchase today.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey great memory! It's really nice of you to remember to get back to me.

This totally worked. I remember I initially had to do this last year when I bought the tv to get HDR working with my PC and consoles but it never occurred to me to check this since I had already set it up.

The semi-recent TCL update must have reverted the settings thus disabling Windows HDR.

Talk about a quick fix!

Thanks for thinking of me. Cheers.

No worries dude! Happy to help.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If you think games running at 190 fps instead of 180 at 1080p on a 2080Ti in 2019 validates your purchase, then go for it.
What I'm saying is that this stuff already happened and the people that got convinced into thinking they didn't need SMT are regretting their purchase today.
Who though? Owners of what types of systems? Are we talking about people who care mostly about gaming, or more about multimedia stuff. Odds are I'm waiting at this point. I just hope by early 2021, Intel will have a solid answer to AMD. That's the latest I'm gonna wait. I want options.

If youre playing at 4k futureproofing your CPU is not an importance

What do you mean?

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
My Gigabyte Aorus 2070 Super just arrived. Slapped it in my new PC and... the displayport wasn't putting out a signal. Heart skipped a couple beats, it worked fine off HDMI, i installed drivers, rebooted, and now everything is beautiful. Secondary legitimate scare is that the card wasn't gonna fit on my mobo because of the chipset heatsinks... Worked out. The RGB is glorious.

If I didn't have work in 20 minutes I'd be testing this sucker out. Later though.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
yeah the new pricing is very attractive! I hope that it falls somewhere else for you.

Well the case that you're using along with the stock cooler certainly doesn't help. The H500 is a negative airflow case. I'd use something that breathes better like perhaps the H700 and a better cooler.

The 3600x shouldn't need fancy cooling or anything. But that's why your rig is running hot. The low-end mobo might have something to do with system temperatures too. But the H500 values aesthetics over cooling. I like the case too. It's one of my favorites to build inside. But in the realm of comparative temperatures it runs about as warm as they get. It's basically all enclosed with just a little bit of intake venting on the right front edge and through the bottom. It might help to get a couple of better 120mm fans to suck the hot air out the back and top.

Im adding a Kraken X62 this weekend. And I'm planning to get better fans. Any suggestions for make best airflow possible inside the case ? Now I have one on top and other on the back. Both 120mm. Fans for Kraken X62 will go on front. Thank you !

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

You have options right now. They've never been this close in 10 years.
True, but for gaming 9700k still wins in performance overall. I watched a video earlier from the Gamers Nexus dude basically saying that. What I care about most. I'm assuming if I wait, my options will be better from both concerning gaming, and going by your concern, gaming with more threads. It's fine. I'll get to save and get what will truly last me a long time. I know, I'm in the minority in here on that.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
If youre playing at 4k futureproofing your CPU is not an importance

Eh.

I game exclusively at 4k. I came from a 4930k (6c/12t) and even though you're more GPU limited at 4k, I noticed a clear difference going to the 9900k. So CPU can have some impact at 4k (fps minimums, frametimes etc), but between the latest Ryzens and the Coffee Lake CPus, either will be absolutely fine at 4k.

Edit

This just came out and seems like an appropriate video given the discussion

Last edited:

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Eh.

I game exclusively at 4k. I came from a 4930k (6c/12t) and even though you're more GPU limited at 4k, I noticed a clear difference going to the 9900k. So CPU can have some impact at 4k (fps minimums, frametimes etc), but between the latest Ryzens and the Coffee Lake CPus, either will be absolutely fine at 4k.

Edit

This just came out and seems like an appropriate video given the discussion

Oh for sure, I am talking more recent CPUs, like Ryzen 1/2 vs Intel

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using 2080Ti + 2700x since last November and I've been pretty happy with the performance at 4K. Now I've decided to water-cool my system.
I was wondering though whether it would be worth upgrading to one of the new AMD CPUs before I install the custom loop. Considering I'm playing at 4K, I expect the 2700x to be good for at least another couple of years, so maybe it makes more sense to wait for the 4000 series to upgrade.
What do you folks recommend?

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using 2080Ti + 2700x since last November and I've been pretty happy with the performance at 4K. Now I've decided to water-cool my system.
I was wondering though whether it would be worth upgrading to one of the new AMD CPUs before I install the custom loop. Considering I'm playing at 4K, I expect the 2700x to be good for at least another couple of years, so maybe it makes more sense to wait for the 4000 series to upgrade.
If you're happy with the performance you're getting at the moment, I would just stick with the 2700x personally. If you're having problems with stutter etc., then maybe.

Chuy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Currently doing a build and having some issues.
Using a Crosshair hero Vi and not getting it to work. Status LED is green but hitting the power button or the glowing start button on it do nothing. Tried using the BIOS flashback and still nothing.
Buils is the following:
Ryzen 1700
16gb of Corsair Vengeance
RX 580 8GB
EVGA 650 G3 power supply
Phanteks p350x

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
anyone here use powerline adapters for their PC? my range extender seems to be dying and was looking into these....any recommendations?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

at 4K more CPU isn't going to make much difference for the vast majority of games, you're going to be largely GPU bottlenecked

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Im adding a Kraken X62 this weekend. And I'm planning to get better fans. Any suggestions for make best airflow possible inside the case ? Now I have one on top and other on the back. Both 120mm. Fans for Kraken X62 will go on front. Thank you !
Your idle temps have nothing to do with airflow. It's the buggy BIOS / chipset driver for Zen 2 that's causing it. Overclock manually and undervolt your CPU. Also switch the Ryzen balanced power profile to high performance in Windows.

The best airflow for the case seems to be the default setup with the fans blowing out. It's probably going to cause dust issues though.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I have my new build, what's the best program to monitor my CPU? I want to make sure I'm getting everything out of it I can, including clock speed and temp.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
If you're happy with the performance you're getting at the moment, I would just stick with the 2700x personally. If you're having problems with stutter etc., then maybe.
at 4K more CPU isn't going to make much difference for the vast majority of games, you're going to be largely GPU bottlenecked

That's what I'm thinking. After watching Digital Foundry's video, the difference between 3700x and 2700s at 4K seems to be around 1fps.
I think I'll just wait for the 4000 series.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

You're still plenty fine with the 2700x at 4K.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Hey guys, need some advice. Due to the prime frenzy I ordered one too many NVMe sticks(as you normally do).

I have 2 x Crucial P1 1TB and 1x Samsung Evo Plus 500GB. Only have two slots.

Use case is mostly for gaming, compute work(machine learning) and light video editing.

Now the question is which stick should return?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
So looks like the cause of my crashes is either a faulty motherboard or CPU after 5 days of troubleshooting.

Upgraded my PC with a 3700X, Gigabyte x570 Master + new PSU last Saturday. Started getting random crashes, Windows had no idea what happened only a Critical "Kernel-Power" event 41 task 63 entry in Event Viewer which was no help at all.

At first, I thought maybe it's my new PSU so I put in my old one but it still crashed. Maybe it's my Sound Blaster card so I removed it and used onboard audio but it still crashed. Made sure all BIOS settings were default + GPU wasn't OC'd and I managed to go a while without a crash so thought maybe it's my (9 month old) RAM unstable with XMP on. Ran MemTest from a USB drive on the sticks but after about 4 hours I heard my PC fans turn off and back on a couple times. It had quit MemTest and rebooted back into Windows. I checked the log but couldn't see any errors. It was on pass 3 test 8 with 0 errors before it stopped.

So I set up my old motherboard and put the RAM in that. BIOS settings were all default except I enabled XMP on the sticks. The test just finished there with 0 errors. The RAM seems just fine so looks like next thing to do is get my motherboard replaced. It could be the CPU too but a motherboard seems significantly more likely to have a defect so I'm gonna start there.

All the other parts of my system I don't think are the issue. Been using the same case for 3 years. My drives, fans, cables worked just fine before. Windows wasn't even running. It was just MemTest off the USB drive.

I have no idea how long it'll take to get a new motherboard but I'll update with how I get on. I know I keep posting in here about this but I want to share just incase anyone else has the same issue.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Hey guys, need some advice. Due to the prime frenzy I ordered one too many NVMe sticks(as you normally do).

I have 2 x Crucial P1 1TB and 1x Samsung Evo Plus 500GB. Only have two slots.

Use case is mostly for gaming, compute work(machine learning) and light video editing.

Now the question is which stick should return?

Performance difference is negligible so just look how much storage you currently use and consider future use. I don't know how much you got the P1 and Samsung for but there may be a good value there for that extra 500GBs if you keep both P1s. I recently got the same 1TB on sale for like $114 and already owned an EVO 500GBs. Both great.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Performance difference is negligible so just look how much storage you currently use and consider future use. I don't know how much you got the P1 and Samsung for but there may be a good value there for that extra 500GBs if you keep both P1s. I recently got the same 1TB on sale for like $114 and already owned an EVO 500GBs. Both great.

Thank you for the advice. I got both the P1 and the Samsung for roughly the same price of about 100USD. Just worried about the durability of the P1 as it is QLC.

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently both the NCase M1 and the Loque Ghost are just impossible to get a hold of. God damn, this is going to be a very long project...

Time to search for viable alternatives in the meantime.
If you haven't already, check out some of the cases from Sliger. The newer SM570 and SM580 both support AIOs too. I ordered the SM580 when it launched a couple weeks ago and it should hopefully be shipping out soon, so I can get started on my 3700X/2080Ti build in it.

Then again, I still need to figure out what I want to do about the mother board for my case- do I get the Gigabyte X570-I or wait longer and hope that Asus puts out their Strix mini ITX board some time soon?

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't already, check out some of the cases from Sliger. The newer SM570 and SM580 both support AIOs too. I ordered the SM580 when it launched a couple weeks ago and it should hopefully be shipping out soon, so I can get started on my 3700X/2080Ti build in it.

Then again, I still need to figure out what I want to do about the mother board for my case- do I get the Gigabyte X570-I or wait longer and hope that Asus puts out their Strix mini ITX board some time soon?
I did look into the Sliger cases. They do seem like viable alternatives. I also looked into the Streacom DA2... just not sure how much I'll like mounting everything to those rails.

st-da2-5-large.jpg

But it can support up to a 280mm radiator... though I'd probably only use a 240mm. We'll see. I really, really like the NCase M1. So I might see if I can find one 2nd hand somewhere first. Not in a hurry to put this together, so I can take my time getting the right case.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I just finally am able to try out gsync/freesync for the first time but Im not so sure it's actually working. Was able to get a good deal on a 1080ti and my monitor is an acer ET32QU. I enabled freesync in the monitor and in geforce settings. Also have 75mhz set. The game Im trying is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's faint but I can still see a bit of screen tearing. Should I enable vsync too (Googling says It's not necessary though) or maybe some other setting? Sorry but since I never tried this before Im not exactly sure what to expect.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finally am able to try out gsync/freesync for the first time but Im not so sure it's actually working. Was able to get a good deal on a 1080ti and my monitor is an acer ET32QU. I enabled freesync in the monitor and in geforce settings. Also have 75mhz set. The game Im trying is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's faint but I can still see a bit of screen tearing. Should I enable vsync too (Googling says It's not necessary though) or maybe some other setting? Sorry but since I never tried this before Im not exactly sure what to expect.

I might be wrong, but apparently geforce gpus don't work with freesync/gsync monitors via hdmi - you need to connect via display port.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I might be wrong, but apparently geforce gpus don't work with freesync/gsync monitors via hdmi - you need to connect via display port.

I should of mentioned that yeah its connected via dp. Does it need to be the only one connected? I also have a tv connected as well though windows is only outputting to the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.